Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like, I really do understand it might have been cost-prohibitive to design the bridge to handle that hit without collapsing, but that's a different answer than "this is impossible"

maybe this is the quote being referenced?

quote:

“The preventive measures – the dolphins, the barriers around them – were really not designed to stop a vessel of this size,” he said. “And even when the ship hit those dolphins, the ship was so large it towered over them and actually struck the bridge itself. So there’s very little the ship could do to really prevent this from happening once the power went out.”
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/world/bridge-accident-dangers-baltimore-collapse-intl-hnk/index.html

That's a statement that the dolphins (the berms) on the Key bridge were not big enough to be effective for a ship of this size, and that there was nothing the pilot could do. It's not a statement that larger, better dolphins couldn't have been effective.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I know Elon musk is evil but I love my model Y. No problems with the build quality, got a nice discount on it, and I spend nothing on gas. There’s tons of free charging all around town and at my office.

Now in a few years I’ll look at a rivian.

E: I would not go off a sick jump with my model y

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

Like, I really do understand it might have been cost-prohibitive to design the bridge to handle that hit without collapsing, but that's a different answer than "this is impossible"

maybe this is the quote being referenced?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/world/bridge-accident-dangers-baltimore-collapse-intl-hnk/index.html

That's a statement that the dolphins (the berms) on the Key bridge were not big enough to be effective for a ship of this size, and that there was nothing the pilot could do. It's not a statement that larger, better dolphins couldn't have been effective.

I mean sure, you could build the bridge a few miles inland and then that way no ship could bring it down.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
When the same thing happened in Tampa in the 80s they put the reinforcements around the pillars and the rebuild. It happened again and the boat sank.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yes the simple answer is that the way to prevent bridge collapses from ship strikes is to put stuff in front of the bridge to prevent the ship from hitting the bridge in the first place. The reason why this wasn’t done for the Key bridge is that it’s 50 years old and the original dolphins are too small to stop the much bigger ships that exist today.

Why weren’t they updated? For the same reason lots of bridges need repairs in this country, lack of money assigned to do it. We have the money, we just spend it on things like bullets and missiles instead.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

My understanding is that they also didn’t want to narrow the passage under the bridge to put beefier protections in place, but it’s all just pointless armchair engineering anyway

The real galaxy brain move is to just not ram a ship into a bridge in the first place, bing bong

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Currently looking into buying a Bolt EUV , trying to stack the federal and state tax credits. Rented one last weekend for a trip to the coast to really get an idea of the car. Not quite as big as I'd like, and finding/waiting on charging genuinely is a pain in the rear end for road trips. My main worry is the noted battery issue, where they dropped the full charge down by 80% via a software update to prevent any batteries from catching fire. Also cross checking hybrid plug ins with the available credits.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So how financially hosed is the port of Baltimore? I saw a Union leader mention 2,000 possible jobs lost, but maybe that was inflating the issue angling for government support.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Freaquency posted:

My understanding is that they also didn’t want to narrow the passage under the bridge to put beefier protections in place, but it’s all just pointless armchair engineering anyway

The real galaxy brain move is to just not ram a ship into a bridge in the first place, bing bong

Yeah, hence my joke about moving it inland. At some point you can't out engineer the size and depth of the passageway and still call it a bridge. You can build all kinds of things, but you would be limiting traffic and making the water too shallow, so it is better to focus on prevention.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So how financially hosed is the port of Baltimore? I saw a Union leader mention 2,000 possible jobs lost, but maybe that was inflating the issue angling for government support.

The port is closed so I'm sure that's how many people cannot work right now, but the question is for how long will the port be closed. They'll have to complete the investigation (days?) clear the wreckage (weeks?) and then ramp back up into ship traffic moving through (???). Building a new or replacement bridge is years away.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

seiferguy posted:

I got a Tesla Model Y as a rental once, and man for a near $50k that interior is bland as gently caress. Tesla is just a front to make money with the valuation it's getting. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 looks and performs better and is nearly $10k less.

I just got an Ioniq 5 (lease) and it's nice. Much nicer than the Model Ys I've been in.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you crash a 200,000 ton container ship into just about anything that isn't a mountain, that object is going to lose that collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ocTTkHqQcg

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not sure why they would delay trafficking cargo longer than wreckage cleanup takes. You'd think you could align the ramp up schedule with an estimated clearage date, though that's likely expecting more precission than is possible in this situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If everyone working in the port is laid off for months I don't know how long it takes to ramp a port back up, like, get shippers to start routing cargo through. Logistics is complicated, so I don't wanna assume.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Now that they're talking about who's footing the bill apparently its a precedent from the 1850s that will form the basis.

Naval law. Shits old.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Tax money? Being allowed to be used to improve anything? Or hell, even being collected in the first place? What country do you live in?

Taxes are for handing out to shell corps for contracts and public-private partnerships. Also tax credits for fraudulent charities.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

Now that they're talking about who's footing the bill apparently its a precedent from the 1850s that will form the basis.

Naval law. Shits old.

quote:

“It's an old piece of legislation” that produces “a lot of injustices,” says Fulweiler, by capping the ship owner’s liability to a sum equal to the “post-incident value of the vessel” and the earnings it collected from carrying the freight on board.

small, if true.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

I just got an Ioniq 5 (lease) and it's nice. Much nicer than the Model Ys I've been in.

I had one as a rental and I didn’t like the ev software integration into the default software.

It was also my first ev.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
uconn is too good

:(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Edit: lol whoops thought this was the NCAA hockey thread

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 29, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm sad

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Arizona, still unable to make a deep run, water wet, etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

a neat cape posted:

uconn is too good

:(

My team is currently losing to a rapist.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You shouldn't think of the democrats as "your team"

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

All this talk of cargo ships has me thinking of MGS2…

snake?!?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

From the blessed thread, this is cool as poo poo

spechtie posted:

The Kei Truck Garden Contest (2018)
The Japan Federation of Landscape Contractors organizes an annual landscaping contest, where landscaping contractors from around Japan arrive on site with their mini pickup trucks and then spending several hours transforming the cargo bed into a small garden.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you crash a 200,000 ton container ship into just about anything that isn't a mountain, that object is going to lose that collision.

Nah, you put enough concrete and rebar into a dolphin, it'll gently caress that 200,000 ton container ship up.

The question is simply, do you want to spend the money to do so?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

You shouldn't think of the democrats as "your team"

I haven't since they killed the public option while Obamacare was being passed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

From the blessed thread, this is cool as poo poo

Thanks for the introduction to a weird subculture I will do a deep dive on later.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Thanks for the introduction to a weird subculture I will do a deep dive on later.

I’m about to plant a pine tree in the bed of my bro truck now haha

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Grow a rare maple-leaf oak in the bed of a Cybertruck.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't since they killed the public option while Obamacare was being passed.

That was almost single-handedly Joe Lieberman. Not to say that they aren't very ineffectual as a governing body on their own, but credit where it's due, etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2009/10/why-lieberman-hates-the-public-option/347740/

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Looking thru my pics a good sized garden should fit

Small children for scale

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My lifted to poo poo 2000 Sierra brodozer is still tiny compared to every newer stock truck, and every single one is a 4 door. Long live the extended cab with suicide half doors

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Great era of trucks, that'll be the next segment of "retro truck" that the resto Land Cruisers and Broncos are now pricing everyone out of.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Great era of trucks, that'll be the next segment of "retro truck" that the resto Land Cruisers and Broncos are now pricing everyone out of.

Best part of the truck the dash is all dials, that feeling of clicking the AC one notch up without looking

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I had my lowered bug for a decade and the lifted truck kinda fell into my lap, but honestly I’d would have preferred a lowered truck that was in the weeds

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Plus I’m up on the mountain so I actually use it, hauling poo poo, shoveling thru snow, clearing driveways

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Bird in a Blender posted:

My team is currently losing to a rapist.

The Big 10 was mad at the Badger pep band for chanting "no means no" during the Big 10 championship game and threatened to kick them out if they didn't stop.

The irony was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wait, who is the rapist?