Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, who is the rapist?

Shannon. Illini suspended him, he sued to get let back on the team and won. The Illini immediately made him a starter when they could’ve just let him ride the pine. I think he has a court date in a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Shannon. Illini suspended him, he sued to get let back on the team and won. The Illini immediately made him a starter when they could’ve just let him ride the pine. I think he has a court date in a month or two.

:stare:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

UIUC is scummy as hell, always has been. They think their engineering school gives them cart blanche to be utter shitheads as if they're the only Midwest engineering school.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Forrest on Fire posted:

UIUC is scummy as hell, always has been. They think their engineering school gives them cart blanche to be utter shitheads as if they're the only Midwest engineering school.

C'mon now, UIUC is in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Northwestern and Penn State. Those schools are way more evil! (and with the exception of NU, much better and more annoying at sports). Of course we get to be shitheads about being the top engineering school but the overall scumminess isn't notable, especially when you factor in all the corruption needed (e.g. the law school admission scandal) to get any funding done properly in this state.

I just wish the state would dump some more resources on the school and push it past Michigan/NU to the top of the conference academically.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

trevorreznik posted:

C'mon now, UIUC is in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Northwestern and Penn State. Those schools are way more evil! (and with the exception of NU, much better and more annoying at sports). Of course we get to be shitheads about being the top engineering school but the overall scumminess isn't notable, especially when you factor in all the corruption needed (e.g. the law school admission scandal) to get any funding done properly in this state.

I just wish the state would dump some more resources on the school and push it past Michigan/NU to the top of the conference academically.

It's a lovely school that thinks it's better than everyone else when I think NIU even gives a better education lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

We clearly live in the Matrix because

Noah Shannon, the Iowa DT, got suspended for his entire senior season for putting a $20 bet on the Iowa women's basketball team that he does not play for, there were no charges filed and no disciplinary action taken by the school.

HOWEVER

Terrence Shannon Jr (no relation), the llinois guard, got arrested for literal sexual assault but he's out there playing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's a lovely school that thinks it's better than everyone else when I think NIU even gives a better education lol

From what I can gather, the only schools where you learn anything at all are community colleges. Everywhere else just seems awful at actually teaching. However, UIUC does/did have a badass library and I had access to the grad stacks as an undergrad, it was amazing to be able to do actual research with real books.

Random example of bad schools: My spouse is finishing up a master's at a school she was forced to attend due to a really complicated partnership with the local school district, and they just sent her emails yesterday saying she hasn't met the prerequisites to be admitted to the program. Hopefully this doesn't screw with her diploma ceremony that's 5 weeks away. No one can get answers on what's going on.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone have so much hate for the actual University before. Maybe because I’m always surrounded by U of I grads.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Double post, but just saw Louis Gossett Jr. died. I actually figured he was dead already. Going to have to find Enemy Mine or Iron Eagle somewhere.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The main thing I know about UIUC is that their engineering school has a bigass airfoil database that I used a lot in school and was quite nice.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/seanoconnz/status/1773781076621898159?s=46

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:lol: GEICO 2.5x my rate after I hit road debris in October. I’ve got a single minor at fault accident that was “forgiven” and this one. No tickets ever.

So I went to Progressive and they quoted me much lower rates so I put in the two accidents, and I guess they put that as an at-fault accident in CLUE? Even though it was an inanimate object that was unavoidable and it would’ve been 10x worse if I’d hit one of the other cars avoiding it?

The rates are still half what I was due to pay at GEICO but now I’m scared progressive is just going to come back and jack the rates even though I’m paid in full. Ugh. gently caress insurance companies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

:lol: GEICO 2.5x my rate after I hit road debris in October. I’ve got a single minor at fault accident that was “forgiven” and this one. No tickets ever.

So I went to Progressive and they quoted me much lower rates so I put in the two accidents, and I guess they put that as an at-fault accident in CLUE? Even though it was an inanimate object that was unavoidable and it would’ve been 10x worse if I’d hit one of the other cars avoiding it?

The rates are still half what I was due to pay at GEICO but now I’m scared progressive is just going to come back and jack the rates even though I’m paid in full. Ugh. gently caress insurance companies.

Similar experience for me. I had American Family and even though I haven’t had any accidents in 5 years, my rates doubled. I went to progressive and got a rate lower than even my previous rate. We’ll see if they jack it up in a year.

Can always call your agent, they might lower it for you if you threaten to switch. I was pretty pissed at my agent though because I called and said they’d get back to me. Two weeks later and I heard nothing so I called to cancel and that’s when they offer to drop my rate a bunch. Sorry guy, I already made the switch.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yeah I called them and they were like well you’ve got two at fault in two years and I was like I don’t agree the second is at fault and also wtf I’ve been a safe driver for 25yrs and this is absurd. Wouldn’t budge a bit. And also the first was “forgiven” but not really?

You’ve got to love the precarity. I’ve got better coverage with progressive too. I’m just always waiting on there being some catch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I bundled home insurance with my auto and they bumped my auto rate up which is like the opposite of what you expect lol

But I'm paying 3k less for home for the same coverage so whatever

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I called them and they were like well you’ve got two at fault in two years and I was like I don’t agree the second is at fault and also wtf I’ve been a safe driver for 25yrs and this is absurd. Wouldn’t budge a bit. And also the first was “forgiven” but not really?

You’ve got to love the precarity. I’ve got better coverage with progressive too. I’m just always waiting on there being some catch.

When we moved we switched to Erie Insurance because they also cover our house. State Farm was competitive with Erie, but it honestly came down to the fact that Erie isn't a publicly traded company and has a ton of local contracts and representatives.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Went out for breakfast for two, no alcohol, $93 :thumbsup:.

Insurance is the biggest ripoff, there does not seem to be any noticable "good behavior" reward, you can drive perfectly for 20 years, the second you get in one accident your rates fly up as if you got in an accident your first day driving.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m getting more mad about this just talking about it.

“The police didn’t assign fault but we are going to do so arbitrarily, gently caress you”

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My auto insurance tripled because some random 18 year old I’ve never heard of added themselves to my plan. I was able to get them removed and restore the rate but man I was glad I didn’t have autopay on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Double post, but just saw Louis Gossett Jr. died. I actually figured he was dead already. Going to have to find Enemy Mine or Iron Eagle somewhere.

Oh gently caress, that sucks. In addition to various films he was in that I enjoyed, I’ll never forget his guest appearances on Stargate.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
GEICO is a trashcan company.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tune in next week when tff discovers that *checks notes* cancer is NOT cool

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gonna shill for Amica, again, as the best insurance company I've ever worked with, and that includes three claims with one being a total loss

you can shop on rate of course but I like to shop on rating, as in, how do customers rate the insurer in various categories
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-auto-insurance-study
Amica doesn't show up on a lot of surveys any more, I think they reduced how many states they work in or something I dunno, and also they used to include USAA and it would just win every time in every category so now they just put it at the bottom of every chart and it's always the best. So if you can get USAA, do that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Self insured baby 😎

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

GEICO is a trashcan company.

:agreed:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

My GF has had her insurance for years and has no accidents, tickets, or anything at fault and was paying like $170/mo or something and her agent refused to lower her rate at all, so must just be because she’s a woman or something. She called around and couldn’t find much better so I just added her and her car to my policy and it only bumped my monthly up $100 with the bundle so she’s saving $70/mo now. Just stupid all around.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Pain of Mind posted:

Went out for breakfast for two, no alcohol, $93 :thumbsup:.

You live in the very beating heart of Silicon valley or Manhattan or something right? Jesus Christ

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My auto insurance tripled because some random 18 year old I’ve never heard of added themselves to my plan. I was able to get them removed and restore the rate but man I was glad I didn’t have autopay on.

This is something insurance companies will regularly do to. They search address data banks and will add someone with your address, even if one from years ago, to your plan as they assume they are living there and have access to and regularly drive your car. There are a ton of nightmare stories out there about people having to prove this person they never met no longer lives at that address.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Self insured baby 😎

so you would still be solvent after, say, a half million dollar judgement against you with zero insurance because you hit a minivan and left two people with serious medical bills, or hit one ferrari, or were only partially at fault in an accident involving a tractor-trailer, etc.?

most people are under-insured, of course, but also many of them are effectively judgement-proof because they have few assets

but not carrying several hundred K in medical coverage but having at least that much in siezable assets is a frightening concept to me

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
New Godzilla is awesome. Just big, dumb and hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The most annoying part of having a steady, decent paying job is realizing I actually have something to lose if I get sued. Like, when I was a waiter even if someone tried to garnish my wages, 90% of my income was cash.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone here a shopping cart puller instead of pusher at the grocery store? I just don't get it.

I went on my grocery run this week and the store had all brand new carts with pistol grip handles on the ends of the normal handle. I don't get that either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

occasionally I pull a cart when I'd have to squeeze someone to get past my cart to get to the handle side, but I don't like, intentionally arrange to have to pull it around, that's weird

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Anyone here a shopping cart puller instead of pusher at the grocery store? I just don't get it.

I went on my grocery run this week and the store had all brand new carts with pistol grip handles on the ends of the normal handle. I don't get that either.

I have a receipt from our grocery store on my desk so I can fill out a survey and plead to them to get rid of half their carts and replace them with the short ones. Literally every time I go there are at most three small ones and three full rows of untouched big ones. The receipt survey is the only way I can imagine getting that plea in front of eyes that might actually be able to address it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://i.imgur.com/IKIaWFy.mp4

sound on

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm crying

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

holy poo poo

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Good god I’m crying

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

NC State is in the Elite Eight for the first time since before I was born, and I’m at a complete loss

This team is so much fun right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Insurance rates are going up regardless of your own good driving because people in general SUCK at driving. Accidents are more frequent. Vehicles are all bigger because of all the SUVs, trucks, etc. versus cars meaning accidents are more severe. Vehicles are more costly to replace because of all the tech in them. And on top of all that, juries are awarding larger and larger amounts in suits. Auto insurance in a way is subsidizing health insurance.

Basically - it all sucks.