Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We had a light dusting of snow right around midnight which was kind of neat. Happy New Year goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The taking of bills is real dumb and absolutely antithetical to what its suppoed to be. I completely get the electric candles, though, because people are real dumb and the risk of fire is not small, especially in the older churches.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog make sure are legal to fly your drone before you do. We live nowhere near an airport but are in an FAA zone that requires registration to fly a drone, something we found out when getting our roof done.

Also, crossposting from GWS but you guys always help me out too:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Between here ans the GWS thread, Paprika seems to be the go to. I already added my spice and condiments to the app, so no more collecting bottles of Worchestershire sauce for me. This week will add the fridge and deep freeze.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We finally got nailed with a "super spreader" event. The holidays went fine, until we returned our grandma to her ALF on the 27th. Her entire floor and half the building had active CoVID rampaging through it. We picked her up on the morning of the 23rd, just before they started all the tests. Did the ALF reach out to us to let us know this? Of course not. What compounded things and prompted some angry emails from my mom and aunts was that the night before we picked her up, (well, morning of technically) the fire alarm went off at 1am. My grandma and everyone did what they were supposed to do, which was go and wait by the door for instructions. No one came and told them anything until 5:30 am. Thankfully, my grandma has a walker with a seat, but some of the others went back in their rooms and just propped their doors open in case fire rescue came. So we jsut chalked up the exhaustion and not feeling well to what any of us would be feeling at 94 years old if we had to stand in a hallway for 5 hours with an alarm going off. They tested her when we took her back and she instantly qas positive. Then my step dad got it, one aunt tested positive while her huband didn't, and then vice versa on another aunt/uncle set. Today my mom has it. Thankfully, my wife and I dodged it, as did a lot of others. The entire group was vaccinated with all the older ones having a recent booster so I am sure that helped.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh fun, we got our annual (apparently) disaster preparedness kit because we live (relatively) close to a nuclear power plant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Whats in it?

Mostly a rather large booklet with detailed instructions, meeting places, and details on how information is conveyed in case of emergency. Also, some vouchers for free potassium iodide pills and coupons on things like emergency radios.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh, I should clarify the voucher is if you want to pick up a supply to keep on hand in your medicine cabinet or whatever. I assume they will be at any and all evacuation sites.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Third trip to the urgent med in less than a month with inner ear infection/badly swollen thyroid fuuuuuuuck

I feel like you need a trip to an ENT.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Update: I somehow was mixing up my thyroid with my lymph nodes, not sure how that happened (I didn’t take anatomy and just knew both are neck area). Waiting on a throat culture test thingy to see if the antibiotics I got last week just weren’t working, but my ears and chest are clear now…

Did they check to see if your spleen was palpable? You could have something in the mono/CMV family.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Man, I'm looking at going to Houston for the CFB championship, and it's at least $850+fees for the ticket, and pretty much all direct flights to Houston from Seattle are sold out unless I buy first class so I'd probably have to fly to Austin or Dallas and drive it. Then hotel...

I think this is the biggest argument against having it at the Rose Bowl every year. I was lucky to live in Miami when the NCG was there AND my team ( Florida) was playing in it. So I was able to shell out a huge amount for tickets and host a few college friends so they saved on a hotel.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Only then we can move on to the mental health that is cancer. Or maybe the lupus that is heart disease. I am even fine with tackling the diabetes of kidney stones.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

Also I found a bug today where our name parser breaks if someone enters a provider with the same first and last name. Which is really annoying because how many Dr's could there possibly be in the US with matching names and secondly, that's the exact kind of bug I'd expect to have been found in testing as surely someone would've been lazy enough to put in Smith,Smith as a dr name somewhere.

In my school alone, there were two sets of people with the same first and last name. Not in the same year, but still...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Happy Birthday SB, may the year bring you pelicans instead of woodcocks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I got the car stuck in my driveway, was able to extricate after a lot of work. No one around to help me, so had to just kind of rock and turn and such. I tore up the yard/drive, but I am fine with that since in the spring we are getting it leveled so we can buildn a garage.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Weeeeee our power is out. Nothing like being dependent on electricity for warmth. Ironically, I was starting to look at generators earlier today...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Happy birthday SB!

In doubling-up birthdays, I have the day after my mom’s. I have gotten significantly better at wishing her a happy birthday on her birthday, not mine, as the years have gone on.

My mom and dad have the same birthday. This prompted little Swickles to jump to the conclusion that, along with taking the man's last name in marriage, one also assumed the birthday. To me, it was scandalous to find out my friend's parents didn't have the same birthday, like they must be progressive to some degree to take the name but not the birthday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone know like a discord or something that can help me with an excel issue? I have two spreadsheets with a shitton of UPC's in columns. I need to find ones that exist in both spread sheets, and then export the price in a different column from one spreadsheet to the other one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Don’t know if a discord, but this sounds like something VLOOKUP function could handle.

Awesome, just knowing that let me find the little tutorial on it and it worked! Thanks!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am learning so much Excel today. Also, I spent like 20 minutes looking up how to do something with all these answers involving macros and VBA and such, and then I found a youtube clip that was literally 21 seconds long and explain how to do it immediately.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Bama hasn’t had a coaching search in the modern social media environment so this has potential to get really hilarious, really quickly.

Ooohhh, was plane tracking even a thing when Saban got hired? I feel like he just squeaked in before that became main stream.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh man, would Eatdatpussy be considered a proto-milkshake duck.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I finally got TSA Precheck, and I gotta say, I'm unreasonably excited to have to spend less time in lines at airports going forward.

Not having to take off belt and shoes is such a game changer. Also, its probably a coincidence, but myself and two others I know got selected for random enhanced screening like the 2nd time we used it. It just meant they go over the electronics with the residue test, but it does take a few minutes (still way faster than regular security). Just don't be surprised if the 2nd or 3rd go they have you take out all electronics and swab them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Double check this again because I was able to go to a Staples and get the in-person Precheck sign up stuff taken care of.

Or just show up. Both my wife and I went at seperate times and just did a walk in at MIA and were in and out under an hour.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Anytime someone comes to my place to do work or deliver and setup/install I always have bottled water and some snacks at the ready. If it's morning, I offer coffee and pastry, and sometimes, if I remember, I also have bottles of gatorade. As for tipping, if they are delivery and setup like with appliances or furniture I tip like a 20 total, but will do 20 each guy if its an involved or longer thing. Movers, I will go up to $50. I don't tip if its an independent contractor that I deal with directly, like a handyman or a carpenter since the price is directly set and negotiated by them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is for Global Entry too. Per TSA I have to do the interview at an airport.

Depending on where you live, you can also go to a sea port if they have cruise ships there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I went to highschool with Devin Hester who is at least 75% responsible for killing Dennis Green.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

I'm completely snowed in. My building's maintenance guy had a heart attack while shoveling the snow from Wednesday, and right now there is a magnificent, majestic and utterly mad pile of snow between my side door and the parking lot.

Guess it's time to drink coffee, smoke weed and play a bunch of video games for a weekend.

Huh, I had always learned and read that shoveling snow was one of the most common activities for someone to have a heart attack, but having lived in Miami until recently, I never saw a case of that. Guess I will be readjusting my radar in the future...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

One dog hates getting paws wet, but loves running in snow. The other hates the snow but his belly is only like 3 inches off the ground so I don't blame him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Put a plow on the front of the second dog.

Omg that would actually work because he just walks around with his nose to the ground anyways!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone have a generator for their house? I am thinking getting one mainly to power our furnace when power goes out so it doesn't get too cold here. Is it something I can hook up and configure myself, or do I need an electrician?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Florida used to do something similar for days missed for hurricanes. They'd change the half-days or teacher work days to normal school days to make up, and if somehow that wasn't enough, they'd tack on more at the end of the year. I think we only had that one time when I went to school, 2005-06, when we lost 2 full weeks to Hurricane Wilma alone plus other days from other storms.

Yup, it sucked in college because there was a lot of poo poo (depending on class) that had to be leanred on your own. Also, my MCAT was delayed by a hurricane, and this was when they were only given twice a year and on paper. So everyone who missed got a special exam 6 weeks later that ended up being harder than the original exam, so they actually sent letters with our applications saying our scores should be adjusted upwards by 2 points for admission purposes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, going back to generator talk, I am not sure what to get after reading a bit. I mainly want to power four things, two of which I could do with a battery backup. I want my fridge and deep freeze to keep going, but I can always but them on a battery which is cheap and easy. The harder thing is the furnace and the well pump. The furnace is propane powered but still needs electricity to run. Without the well pump, we have no running water in the house. Those two things would ideally be on an automatic switch as well, especially the heat. I don't think I need anything major, and they some generators can run off propane, so I could just tie it into that tank I guess. Still seems like an investment though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I mean I am not gonna lie, would.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I finally got around to watching live One Piece on Netflix. I uave not seen a single second of the anime and was only vaguely aware it was about pirates. I really enjoyed it! The main actor is charismatic as hell and in 20 years will be the new Pedro Pascal.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shoveling snow sucks. I get why people have heart attacks doing it, its an easy out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its 6 degrees, what the gently caress man

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have thoughts for Ross and others when I get to a computer. For now, my more important and materialistic problem (kidding): I bought my first pair of boots last month, and after breaking them in, I like them. They are stylish and comfortable and fairly cheap since I was concerned that I might not like how they wear on my feet and legs. Now that I know I can wear boots, I am fine spending money on them. Now the problem is that I am a fancy bitch with footwear. I can look in 5 shoe stores and only find 1 pair I like, and they inevitably end up being the most expensive pair by far. I saw a pair of Timberlands that I like and want to know if they are worth it? Like I know they are expensive, and while I want them to be fashionable (to me) I also don't want to have to avoid snow in them. I would like to use them as functional boots as well. Are they actually good boots or am I just paying for the name?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

What kind of timberland boots are we talking? Like euro hikers? Or something a bit more utilitarian?

Its like the classic Timberland design, just some nice colors and trim.

Also, thinking of getting something like this:

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/turbulenz-cordless-18v-electric-snow-shovel/product/275645

Anyone have something similar? I don't have a lot to shovel, but it seems like it will make what I do have a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This trailer is so loving crazy I kind of want to see the movie

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1747635372345934082?t=-W-7JNTMtWFt2qSxXpAlVg&s=19