Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Happy new year all.

It's gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Posting thru the pain of being a goon.

Quality via sheer volume!

if you can't post well, :justpost: anyway

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

I’ve never had rear end gumbo

:itwaspoo:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

^ 42 with 8 and 4 year olds. I'm... So tired.

40 with 6/2, so I'm on this pace. Definitely glad I waited, even though I am more tired than I want to be.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Paprika. I’ve been using it for years. It’s a recipe app, but they have a pantry you can utilize to keep track of what you have. I pull recipes from Milk Street or Serious Eats with the in-app browser, then you can
add groceries to a list right from the recipe. It’s on iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Android.

Hearty recommend, paprika is great and makes our cooking life infinitely better

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Its Rinaldo posted:

Oh cool downstairs toilet overflowing everywhere after using the laundry cool

pittsburgh was right

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I like putting up the Christmas tree, but there’s definitely a sense of relief when it goes to the mulch pile. I think it’s just all the room I get back.

I love all the Christmas I put up, and I also love how much bigger the house feels when it's all gone.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
fontchat

seen this new NFL font on a couple of broadcasts

I hate it, and hope they don't shift everything to it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I finally put a ring on it!

I'm just in it for the passport ;)

:911:

congrats

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
:toot: happy birthday SB

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

:shrug: lamb is delicious

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
carpet, not even once.

we do area rugs with flor tiles which makes cleanups of messes easy, take the tile(s) outside, hose em off or scrub as necessary, let dry, put back in place.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Such is the power of Steve Nash

You can't talk this way about canadian superstar steve nash!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Quiet Feet posted:

Carrots are bad

Record scratch

Wat?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Quiet Feet posted:

For some reason they give me dry heaves. Been this way since I was a kid and I have no idea why, but as a result I cannot stand them.

Like in tiny shreds in cole slaw it's fine but anything bigger than that and :barf:

Fair, but for everyone else, have this thing from the food lab which is amazing

quote:

1½ pounds large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch disks or faux tournée
½ teaspoon cornstarch
1½ cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley or chives
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
½ teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Toss the carrots with the cornstarch in a 12-inch heavy-bottomed stainless steel skillet until no clumps of starch remain. Add the stock, butter, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender (they should show little resistance when poked with a cake tester or the tip of a knife), about 10 minutes.

2. Increase the heat to high and boil, tossing occasionally, until the sauce is reduced to a shiny glaze. Remove from the heat, add the herbs, almonds, lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Air Skwirl posted:

I saw this and now you all have to also. Apologies in advance.

Very poe's law

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The number of nights I haven't been able to sleep recently due to my mind racing about the worst possible outcome in infinite problems, some of them comical after a day or two of thought is far higher than I would like.

On the plus side I have gotten very good at quietly putting together casseroles for dinner as a way to channel nervous energy and kill time with something that I need to refocus thought on so mealtimes the day after are very stress free.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I keep forgetting to cancel the Athletic, and read Defector.

I have the too many streaming services problem but with online news.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
house reno chat, I'm looking to add ~100sq ft to split one bedroom into two and the quotes are almost 100K for on-slab construction. It's mostly labor costs-- almost 20K in labor for ~30 linear feet of 8' high brick veneer to match the rest of the house.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
That was a neat strategy

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My last ringtone before I went vibrate only a decade ago was the doogie howser theme

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
don't make the mods get a strap

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
We were watching yellowjackets, but by the end of season 1 it seemed to take a hard turn into paranormal, and we lost interest. I think we started season 2 but I can't remember honestly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
dishwasherchat, my wife hates how I load it, but I hate dishes sitting around so now I just run it 1/2 full all the time so she doesn't have time to inspect my work. It uses 3 gallons of water, who cares.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hollywood accounting is amazing. They wanted $75M, didn't get it, and so now they're going to take $30M in tax value rather than accepting counters that would probably have been more than $30M.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol my washer uses like 4 gallons of water for a full load I ain’t hand washing poo poo

Except nice knives pans because thems the rules

perfect opinion, no notes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

My mom just dropped me off an entire flat of strawberries. I like strawberries as much as the next person but what the hell do I do with an entire flat?

My kids would wreck that in a day.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Essentially it seems like they’ve removed any functionality from the desktop app that wasn’t already in the web app. Mind-boggling.

Some manager got a bonus for "web/desktop feature parity"

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Teams is the worst except for that the permissions model is broken in some funny way for edu accounts so when I am invited into someone else's meeting at another organization, if I get there before them it lets me be the owner of it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Who's ready for BEEFRICE

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-invent-new-hybrid-food-by-growing-beef-inside-grains-of-rice

quote:

They've invented a new hybrid food, consisting of cells of bovine fat and muscle grown inside grains of rice.

The result resembles a strange combination of meat mince and rice, of pink, sticky grains.

First, they coated grains of rice with food-grade fish gelatin and food enzymes to help the cells find purchase and maximize the amount of cellular material that clings to and grows on the rice. Then they seeded the rice grains with cow muscle and fat stem cells, and let them grow in a petri dish for 9 to 11 days.

As it stands, the meaty-rice (or ricey-meat) would be less costly to produce than beef per gram of protein, in both emissions and money.

I'd try it

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Doesn't everyone keep emergency shrimp in their frunk?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
A series of close photo crops that appear to be a cocaine-fueled BDSM party aftermath but are just granddad's shop.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
sometimes kids are the worst and your 2 year old wakes up in a mood and the morning is on a downward spiral. And then your 6 year old disappears to her art table, then gives her sister a card and a hug and it's all worth it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It does help to be a real psycho who keeps a spreadsheet inventory of what's in there, too, but even I realize that's beyond reasonable for most people.

I tried to keep track of mine with various methods, and never ended up keeping it up to date when pulling stuff out leading to hunting through it anyway.

Then I settled on post-it flags for each item in there stuck to the door and when I take a thing out I throw the little post-it away. It's been great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Ooh I can tie both the podcast and capitalism topics together here! Check out the Behind the Bastards episodes on Jack Welch. He's a big part of the reason - if not THE reason - for the lack of long-term focus.

"The man who broke capitalism" was a great read

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress yes, big Rocky Mountain snow rules.

The Colorado river basin lives for one more year!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Canned Sunshine posted:

Snowpack is average but antecedent water moisture is pretty poor so don’t expect great runoff. Maybe ~7 million ac-ft or so across the entire watershed.

At some point Phoenix and Tucson will need to go full water recycling.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sweet Tomatoes was superior to Souplantation of the pair

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
A real problem these days is just-in-time shift scheduling for part-time employees so you don't know what or when your hours will be at $21. The next fight will probably be about advance notice of shifts, and guaranteed minimum monthly salary rather than per hour, but that's much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

These republicans seem bad. The dems should probably take popular policy positions and try hard to materially improve lives so they can win the election.

I mean... they do? I would rather have some loan forgiveness than none. More opportunities for investments in technology to address climate change than actively working against it. Any movement at all to address gun violence than doing absolutely nothing. Moving the needle at all on gender and sexual equality rather than actively working to undo it all.

Basically this:

Ether Frenzy posted:

The GOP has the setup crafted perfectly so that the slightest incremental change is the only way anything close to good ever happens

is Biden flawed? Yes, but has his administration been effective in advancing important things and preventing regressions in other areas, also yes.

Air Skwirl posted:

My issue isn't really with people who support Biden because the alternative is worse, I get that, and if you live in a swing state your mental calculus is different than mine.

My issue is the people in charge of the Democratic party don't seem to give a poo poo who wins. I don't think they're necessarily tanking it on purpose, but they clearly don't care too much, otherwise they wouldn't be running a candidate that the majority of Democrats don't think should run.

"Generic Democrat" is wildly popular, but every named person polls worse than Biden.