Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man. Fireworks waking me up and keeping me up for two hours has me feeling awful this morning. So much for getting back on my normal sleep schedule :gonk:

2024 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nervous posted:

I used to get anxiety about posting. What if it's not good/funny/interesting/sexy enough?

Post/username combo lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

I'm in a pretty big crisis because I'm 34, I want to have kids, but even if I met someone today it would probably be another 2 years at least before we have them.

And on an ethical level I just don't know if I could bring them into a world that will almost certainly see the collapse of civilization and all the horrors it will bring within their lifetime.

Oh hey this is me too but I turned 37 last August. Doesn't help I've been kicking myself for awhile about the whole kids thing. I met someone this fall who checked all my dating "what are you looking for" boxes. Only she was turning 42 and I want kids.

That ended things and has had me second-guessing the kids thing and the ethical level comment in your post definitely came to mind.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

this is the one you want

Seattle -> Austin roundtrip, arrive Saturday and get home Monday night. Should be enough time to drive from Austin as well. It's about a 3 hour drive to Houston from Austin so you won't have to rush your trip at all.

The NC game is Monday night

Saturday through Wednesday to OKC on Southwest is around $400. Three hour drive to Arlington.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 5, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Happy birthday SB!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The house two doors down from me is getting cleaned out and/or flipped. One of the guys just backed into my driveway and sat for a bit (I think he had the wrong house). He had a Three Percenters decal on his back window :fuckoff:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

With the way prices on them are now, you can buy an upright carpet cleaner that does just as well for near the same price as a rental.

Even if it’s a little more expensive, if you think you’ll use it a couple more times it’ll have paid for itself. I bought one a couple years ago and use it fairly frequently and love it.

Are you talking about something like this? My mom asked for this for Christmas and I'm curious how well it works for pets (since you have dogs IIRC).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is how well it did the first time I used it.

:drat:

The bedrooms are the only carpeted rooms in my house but I still might have to look into it more.

Thanks for the info and pics!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Can’t remember if I’ve crowdsourced this in here, but my kid had a class project a while back where everyone is randomly assigned on of the states to do a report on, and she got South Dakota, which has now instilled an interest in her to visit this summer, but not with any more idea of what to actually visit there. Off the top of my head there’s Mt Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, the Corn Palace, and gently caress all else to do. Anybody got some great South Dakota vacation thoughts?

My mom has always wanted to go to the Black Hills.

Or take her to Sturgis lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

We have remote learning today instead of a fun snow day AND it's probably going to just rain since I'm close to the lake in Chicagoland

My poor kid will never get the joy of a true snow day

This is terrible. I distinctly remember several snow days growing up. "Core memories" or whatever they're calling it these days?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I finally got TSA Precheck, and I gotta say, I'm unreasonably excited to have to spend less time in lines at airports going forward.

Precheck rules. Except in airports where they don't give you any bins when you still have to take items out of your pockets. Or in the Asheville airport where they have the Precheck line but give you a red card after they scan your ID/boarding pass but before the scanners. So of course people put the red card in the bin and TSA has to hold up the line to yell at people to carry the red card with them or take off their shoes, belts, etc. It makes no sense.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve signed up for pre-check/global entry like two years ago but I’ve never been able to schedule an interview. There was a month where I was looking literally every day and nothing. So I gave up. I still look every once in a while but it’s probably gonna lapse sooner or later and I’ll have to start over.

The only opportunity I’ve had to do it is coming back from an international flight and they’ll let you wait in line to do it but it’s always like a 4-5 hour wait and gently caress that after a long trip.

Double check this again because I was able to go to a Staples and get the in-person Precheck sign up stuff taken care of.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Just got a text from my boss' boss asking a work strategy question while I'm about to fall asleep. Immediately got me into thinking about it and crafting a plan and I'm wide awake. Pretty pissed off about it too because my sleep has been terrible lately. [/vent]

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I will never respond to a work enquiry outside of my contracted hours.

Last time someone got the shits with me I told them I'm happy to be on call 24 /7 for consumate remuneration.

If anyone contacts me I leave the text or email or call ignored til 8am the next work day.

Its probably stunted some opportunities but they can eat my rear end.

I'm salary but try to maintain this similar boundary. The only thing I'll adjust for is something that directly impacts my bonus.

The good news is this is the first time in 17+ years with the company something like this has happened (which is why I did spin up and start back into work mode). And I did actually sleep through the night once I did fall asleep. I'm good with my boss' boss so I'm considering giving feedback.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Anyone have any good or bad car/home insurance companies? I noticed my insurance has gone up like 30% over the last year and I haven't filed a claim since 2015, so it's not for any reason on my end. Looking to make a switch and see if I can get better prices. I'm on American Family right now, which covers my home and car, so I'd probably switch both if I made the switch.

Doesn't hurt to shop and see what you can get. Just know the insurance market suuucks right now and rates are going up across the board.

e: since Joey snuck in a reply - Progressive maintains their price point by aggressively keeping expenses low. Meaning bottom-of-the-barrel claims service and trying to weasel out of claims on thin technicalities. (Disclaimer - I've never been a customer so this is just what I've heard coupled with industry knowledge)

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 19, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

trilljester posted:

Went to Costco. Spent $250. Is it impossible to get out of there for under $100?

I do it all the time. Granted, it's just me and I'm swooping in to restock frozen fruit for my smoothies and any big bags of veggies they've got.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My mom lives in a large retirement community surrounded by other retirement communities. There is a Costco nearby and it is the busiest Costco I've ever seen. It has to be an absolute poo poo show every day in there. Just a bunch of old people blocking aisles and slowly running their carts into each other.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Reacher season 2 was really bad

I was so annoyed watching the S2 finale. I had to pause and come back to it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Any recs for massage guns? I have a persistant knot in my upper back and shoulder that gets pretty painfull on the regular.

I get tightness around my shoulder blade / traps and lacrosse balls work wonders

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I cut high school to watch The Ring with my buddy and we both screamed out loud when the horse falls out of the boat

Bwahahaha exact scene was gonna be my post. I was laughing so hard at how ridiculous it was. Crowded theater and I'm the only one laughing my rear end off.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Haters vacate I'm being an airborne drunk.

Should've taken a stab at Boggs' record only with High Noons :v:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Whoa. So that explains why it helps to let the dog on the bed to cuddle up next to me. I thought it was like a weighted blanket thing because he does lay on me a bit.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I believe the saying goes (for people like me) “you drink the first beer, the second beer drinks itself.”

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Quiet Feet - did you actually tell your SIL you didn't like guac/avocado after multiple tries in the past?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This looks awesome x3

Trailer has me hyped for the movie and I'm not even much of a movie watcher.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

kiimo posted:

I've seen this one twice but Jordan Peele and his team are editing a new version that just finished that changes the order of a few things around and I haven't seen that version yet because he just finished.

FYI Netflix was the studio that created this and when they saw the first editor's assembly they went oh poo poo we are heavily invested in India and they are not going to like this so we took it off their hands for pennies and I think it's going to make a killing. It's still up in the air whether it will even show in India which is how you know it's an effective film.

Can you expand on why India won't like the movie?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

My guess is the upper caste are not fans of any slander coming their way.

Has also been a problem in US tech companies when lower caste employees want to talk about it and upper cast employees freak.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-an...own%20behavior.

kiimo posted:

When you have a film criticizing the rich and caste system and the bad guy is also a religious leader it ruffles feathers in India.

Thanks for this. I admittedly haven't had a lot of exposure to Indian culture.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Give the dog a de-boned chicken wing.

What?! Absolutely not

e: oh lol I read this completely backward :doh:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drat that sucks.

Weren't they going to use him for Gronk's Super Bowl kick thing?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I sent this to my buddies group chat :smith:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dutch Bros will always have the worst drive thrus imo

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I really want to see that race with full commentary

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My phone's always on vibrate but my text notification is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMPWieLMOk

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Nah, dumb watches for life.

poo poo my watch doesn't even stay wound when I don't wear it enough

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

wandler20 posted:

My mom just dropped me off an entire flat of strawberries. I like strawberries as much as the next person but what the hell do I do with an entire flat?

Freeze for smoothies

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Woke with a fever and feeling absolutely terrible today.

I'm missing the final round of the Phoenix Open and cheering on Sahith Theegala with his family. I'm so bummed.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

How was the show after Dynamite? The one I went to in Vegas lasted for Rampage and about 2-3 hours of ROH.

It was pretty good. Just the Rampage taping then Tony came back out to thank Phoenix and heavily hint we'll be getting a PPV. Really, really fun night.

Then I did Open in the rain Thursday, Suns game that night, Duran Duran concert in the super VIP section (my downfall), and then a full day at the Open yesterday in the wild, wild crowd and conditions.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I switched to new Teams and it's exactly like the old version :shrug:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Getting away with calling that an "officer involved shooting" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

kiimo posted:

My mom got a call from someone pretending to by my nephew saying he had been arrested and needed her to bail him out of jail.

She didn't give them any info but she still talks about how it was an acting performance of a lifetime.

My grandma got this call years ago and went to the grocery store she always goes to for the money order. Thankfully it was a small town and the person recognized her and got her to call my mom to verify I was not actually kidnapped in Mexico.