Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
E: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m really happy with Pocket Casts on Apple; I assume they’re available on Android.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe others have instituted this as well, but Pocket Casts has a lot of good customization like you can change the intervals for your skip forward/back buttons, or set each podcast to skip the first or last “x” amount of time (to skip regular ad breaks, the first 10 minutes of Marc Maron, etc).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think whenever my parents die I’ll really wish I’d had kids.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sugar momma got me a drone for my birthday!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Tell me more about the drone.

It’s a DJI Mini 3, I’d been drone-curious for a while and did my research and it was consensus good one for beginners if you’re willing to drop about $500 on one. It’s 249 grams, so it doesn’t have to be registered with the FAA or anything like that. Camera quality seems to be as good as a consumer or even hobbyist filmmaker would ever want, can do up to 4K 30 FPS or 1080p 60 fps.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

That's fantastic General Dog. Let me know what you think of it after flying it a few times and how the learning curve is, and also maybe if your neighbors complain I would also be interested in that. I both have an interest in buying a drone, and also in learning how to defeat drones.

Here's a shot I got one evening last week.

It's prompted me to finally learn at least some rudimentary video editing as well, though my PC isn't really up to running Da Vinci or anything fancy.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Premise was kind of thin for a feature length picture, I think both of his more recent movies are more interesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

You definitely need to not think too hard about it. I found it fun too. I really need to see Nope, I don't think it's on any of the streaming services I have though. Might have to rent it.

It’s on Prime, I watched it the other night.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Literally to stick a finger in Syria's eye. If this was any friendly country who held him he would've learned about the "Found Out" part.

I choose to believe the countries we're friendly with wouldn't do that sort of thing!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is 50k what they're making before or after they move?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I also got a drone at Christmas, gonna try and take it to a park or something when the weather warms up a bit.

Early experiment with the drone (and with editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhtGX0CYcE

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where’d you go, the North Pole?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wish someone could make them run on time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I know we haven't done TFF game night in quite a while, but if anyone's interested, it looks like someone set up a Jackbox game for this evening (7 PM CST) in GBS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051096

Looks like pretty much same setup where the host will stream in Discord. I don't know this poster or vouch for them, but I wouldn't imagine they're more problematic than me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Its Rinaldo posted:

But can they draw Boobs Bart

No, Boobs Bart is TFF intellectual property until he enters the public domain in 2105.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

Rewatching The Wire for the first time in over 10 years, forgot how good this show is

Did the same late last year. As much as the line between cinema and TV has blended over the past 20 years, it’s good to be reminded how good just plain old TV-rear end TV can be.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

Finding out Idris Elba is extremely british was such a mindfuck for me after watching The Wire

Rewatching now with the knowledge of what he really sounds like, you do catch the accent breaking occasionally, especially when he raises his voice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

don't watch it

But I heard you see Master Chief’s dick

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

I am learning so much Excel today. Also, I spent like 20 minutes looking up how to do something with all these answers involving macros and VBA and such, and then I found a youtube clip that was literally 21 seconds long and explain how to do it immediately.

Glad it worked out; I was going to suggest hitting “Record Macro” and just doing what you wanted it to do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The traffic is bad enough with normal drivers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The little guy with the big nose?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

rewatching the wire, he's the annoying rear end in a top hat poo poo son of frank

Ah okay, forgot you were doing the Wire rewatch, thought you meant this guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

https://x.com/stephenasmith/status/1745193095124136075?s=20

There is a case to be made that SAS is the best orator since Cicero.

"I'm a bit sleepy this afternoon, but when I wake up I'm going death con 3 On JASON WHITLOCK"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

saintonan posted:

that's the thing, there are so many fat bastards he could have been talking about.

The way he couched it like he was breaking an unwritten code gives away that he's talking about a fellow media member, so my mind went there immediately.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

:goonsay: It's DEFCON (DEFense readiness CONdition), and the lower the number the more :supaburn: it is.

It's the Kanye post

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I knew when he got skinny again after that first year at Ole Miss he wasn’t planning to be there for the long haul.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m about halfway through my first playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077 and I think it’s pretty good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

It does get better, but I never really thought that highly of the show. Didn’t quite understand why it got so much praise, people talk like it’s one of the best shows ever made and I was mostly annoyed by it.

It gets weirder, which does make it a little more interesting.

Count me among those who thought seasons 2 and 3 were the best thing on TV. Season 1 is a tough hang, though.

I think I’ve said before, but the latter two seasons of The Leftovers are like all best aspects of Lost with none of the bullshit, whereas Westworld (all seasons) is all of Lost’s bullshit with none of the good.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 16, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm going to give myself an extremely negative self-review at work this year, just to see if anybody's actually reading it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I got selected to a Grand Jury yesterday, I've got to go in for a day every other week for three months. Overall the first day wasn't too bad, way more laid back and lower stakes than being on a "real" trial jury in criminal court.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Loki season 2 wrapped everything up and it feels like a good coda for the titular character.

I still haven't seen Ashoka because mentally I thought I should watch Rebels first and I'm too lazy to start Echo. I completely forgot season 2 of What If…? started as well.

Rebels has some high highs but is largely kind of boring and a huge comedown from Clone Wars. Ahsoka is pretty bad, I would not recommend watching 75 episodes of Rebels to get to Ahsoka.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Do not listen to this man about Rebels. Its very good and I would argue has less filler episodes the Clone Wars.

To each his own. Clone Wars could be hit and miss, but the anthology nature of it usually kept things fresh. By the end of Rebels I was pretty tired of Grass Planet and of most of the main cast of characters. I will say that I watched Rebels more or less in real time as it came out, so I could see it going down different if you can stream it all at once. The main way it suffers in comparison with Clone Wars is how obviously lower budget it is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Outsider art

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Someone say ketamine?!? Ketamine is one my absolute favorite drugs. Its has so many uses and covers so many aspects that its one of the only drugs where you can do a surgery with as the lone agent. It is analgesic (eases pain), anesthetic (reduces awareness and consciousness), and has anti-convulsant properties on top of not affecting hemodynamics significantly. When the earthquake hit Haiti the anesthesia team from Miami just filled their bags with ketamine and did whole surgeries on picnic benches with it. It really is a wonder drug, and it has so many other uses! It is also starting to be used more and more for extreme asthma attacks which is new and exciting. As for depression, the research is very limited, but quite strong. In order to be effective, you need multiple therapies over the course of at least 6 weeks. When you get an infusion, you should also be engaging in some type of talk therapy in order to get the benefit. Usually you get a little bit, come up, talk for an hour, get some more, maybe do another session, then come down. So its not just a shot or even a simple infusion. It is very effective, but you need to block off a whole day for it, can't drive home, and have to do it for 6-8 weeks. That being said, it seems that compared to antidepressants that you do not need maintenance meds after the therapy (again, this is novel and still being studied so always follow the advice of the people doing this stuff). You also need to avoid all the microdosing and "infusion centers" charlatans out there. There are lots of reputable groups out there, they just are drowned out by the ones looking to make a buck.

I am K-holio, I need treatment for my brain hole.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it weird to ask a barber for a recommendation on what kind of haircut to get? I’ve probably only paid for about 10 haircuts in my adult life, and that’s usually just been a buzz.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I started cutting my own hair during Covid and I’m capable enough with a 3-2-1 fade, just wanting to try something more adult now that I’m feeling better overall about my appearance,

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Deciding to just go ahead and die at 80 rather than doing chemo isn’t the craziest thing in the world.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Apropos of nothing, it seems like if a virus isn't considered a living thing, then our definition of "alive" is too narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Does anybody watch Yellowjackets? I caught up with the first two seasons recently and have a take that I’m not sure is mainstream or not.