Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Happy New Year everyone. It’s the first year of grad school for me. It’s gonna suck but maybe I’ll make, well….not *great* money, I’m going for a MSW, but, well, *good* money in a few years.

The kind of money a girl needs to buy fun food and candles and incense and her own place finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Half the time I post in this thread I mention some dumb tangential thing that nobody engages with and that’s perfectly fine. Not every post is meant to start a discussion or get quoted a ton.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I could still have kids - and if I end up with another trans woman, we could just adopt - but I feel like I'm fine if I don't. I would have to really want to have a kid to do it the, uhhh...conventional way though. It would be a process.

My ex has a wonderful (and terrible) twelve year-old daughter and when I thought we might actually end up together I was really excited at the prospect of being her mom. I still look forward to seeing her whenever I visit my ex and occasionally bring her snacks.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 2, 2024

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ok I watched Us and all I can say is

what the fuuuuuuck
I saw it in theaters and was a big fan (my friend wasn't that impressed). Shout out to Lupita Nyong'o's phenomenal work in that movie.

...I should probably just watch it again along with Get Out and Nope.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

General Dog posted:

I wish someone could make them run on time.
In seriousness, that would require them to ever not prioritize corporate interests(in this case, the freight companies that own most of the actual rail lines and prioritize themselves over passenger cars even though [IIRC] they're not supposed to) and invest in rail infrastructure and better trains. Oh, and a bureaucracy we don't periodically gut like a fish.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I can’t judge OC-lovers, because I binged The L Word recently (it’s a sapphic right of passage). Trashy drama with lesbians…and it was a Showtime show, so you know what that means!
I would totally let Shane shatter my heart into a million pieces.
I enjoyed it through Season 4. I found Season 5 profoundly mean-spirited and narratively stale and had to put it down.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Tulalip Tulips posted:

RuPaul's Drag Race is back so my Friday is great again.
The only time I watched it was in Oregon with my pansexual trans enby friend. There was me, a then-babby trans woman, my friend, another trans woman, a cis lesbian who looked like Rachael Maddow, the trans dude whose apartment we were in, and his boyfriend (I don’t know if he was cis or trans).

Just an entire Pride flag’s worth of queers eating Thai food and watching RuPaul’s Drag Race together in a small apartment.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Happy birthday, ya Silly Burrito!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Nothing terribly interesting happened at any of my schools. The *other* high school in town did have a pretty infamous murder though. Not keen on specifying, in part because trans.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Actually I also have mature and respectful communications with my significant other about possible sources of tension so that we can take a collaborative solution-oriented approach based on mutual respect and compassion.
This is super healthy and I wish I had done it more in my previous relationship, but I have a bad tendency to try and avoid conflict.

Air Skwirl posted:

If the only time you talk about your SO to others is to complain about them, it's definitely a problem, but I think it's fine to vent about trivial things like how much you hate their favorite TV show to other people.
Yeah, I have one friend who I've never heard say a good word about her boyfriend (and the one time I met him at a social gathering they wound up having an argument where he was clearly at fault), but she seems really loving dedicated to the idea of "working things out"....which, well, good luck with that girl, sounds like you're gonna need it. That contrasts with other friends who occasionally complain about SOs but also talk about fun poo poo they did together or great moments they had together.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Carrots I can take or leave. They don't have much flavor to me, so I find them unappetizing whole or in large pieces, but they're utterly inoffensive sliced or shredded and offer good nutrition plus they come in unique colors. When I made a big pot of chicken soup a while back, I had rainbow baby carrots in the fridge, so I just sliced those suckers up and dumped them in, so my soup had little orange, purple, and yellow discs floating in it, which looked cool.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Hey, it took me 20+ years to admit to myself I was a woman. Now I’ve been out for 2 years, I’m in grad school (for a MSW. I’m always going to be poor lol), I’ve made a bunch of new friends, I even had a girlfriend and maybe I’m going to have a new one in the near future?

But yeah, it didn’t feel like I was going anywhere for a long time and then I kind of looked around one day and noticed everything was different (my ex telling me that I’m a person who “just does things” helped! I really do love her, in spite of how our romance ended).

I’m 36 going on 37, and I’m just getting started. It took a lot of work to get here, including almost three years straight of therapy. I’m easily not the oldest person in my classes: one dude’s a grey beard who was a teacher for 30 years. Never too late to change gears, find love, or whatever it is you want/need to do.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Grittybeard posted:

On WW1 chat I'm currently reading The Sleepwalkers, which I do want to say is a good book in my opinion. e: (this is not what I would call an easy intro to the subject, there are a lot of three dollar words and footnotes involved) It's not about the war but tries to explain why the war happened. But most of my enjoyment comes from ridiculous British names from the 1880s to 1910s. We have some doozies in there that were very important for one reason or another.

Early 90's high school: I didn't learn a damned thing about world war 1 other than a passing reference to way too many alliances that didn't work out, which doesn't explain things. Everything I've learned about WW1 (which is obviously a lot to cover) comes from other sources and just reading stuff.

We spent more time on world war 2 and I definitely got the holocaust. Korea was mentioned and skipped other than the split. Then Vietnam got some time, but mostly very America friendly time. We were definitely not covering Cambodia. Then the school year ended and we didn't really get into the whole Nixon thing or what came later.
I really enjoyed The Sleepwalkers, but then I love history. I feel like it does a good job of examining what these dumb asses were thinking.

I've also read three different books about the peace process and it cannot be emphasized enough how loving criminally negligent, insane, and racist the process was. But my favorite one about the aftermath was definitely The Vanquished: Why The First World War Failed to end, because it examines the countries that either lost the war(Germany, Russia, Turkey and other usual suspects) or subsequently lost the peace (Italy and Greece, for example) and how incredibly hosed up their experiences were and how those experiences sowed the seeds of WW2 while fighting born out of WW1 was still going.

But yeah, history curriculum in school sucks. But here in CT we had an entire Holocaust segment in our...English class? The teacher was an old Jewish lady, I kind of feel like she came up with it, but it was actually pretty good.
Outside of that, I didn't get any in-depth look into the Holocaust until college.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2024

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I’m a Paradox girl, but Hearts of Iron interests me least, honestly.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I wish I had people to play board games with, but no dice! :sigh:

I am going to a cat cafe Thursday apparently, so that's great! My coworker legit thought I would judge her for wanting to sip coffee while surrounded with cats. Like, negatively! That woman be anxious.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

Wife and I both have “good insurance” and our daughter’s completely uncomplicated birth ran us like ~6k out of pocket. The bills were hilarious because they filed about 35k of charges with insurance.

America!
Just think of how much money a bunch of blood-sucking C-Suite psychopaths made!
…I’m so glad I’m on Medicaid. And so sorry, that’s loving absurd.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I do not watch SNL. Any good skits make their way into some SA thread and I enjoy it there.

Tom Hanks on Black Jeopardy was fun.
Yeah, I watched boygenius on YouTube. They kind of hosed up the sound-mixing for "Not Strong Enough" but "Satanist" was straight fire.
I have no idea who Troye Sivan is, so that bit flew right over my head.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Quiet Feet posted:

This but literally every goddamn Democrat.

I volunteered for Bernie. I do not give a poo poo about the rest of you, gently caress off.
God drat, I hate getting texts from randoms and every Dem-aligned Super PAC in existence so loving much.

Oooh, what's this text? Is it a friend getting back to me? Maybe my grad student friend wants to grab a bite. Maybe it's the girl I'm crushing on saying something cute? Nope, it's some Numbers Fuckstein running for Congress in Who Gives a gently caress texting me doomerism in the hopes of scaring me into giving them money I don't have.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Manoueverable posted:

Loving the Mazda endorsements, I've been looking at new cars and the 3 Hatchback is the best by far out of the ones I've test-driven but I'm just making sure it's absolutely the one I want before I pull the trigger.
I looked at a Mazda 2 when I was car shopping long ago and loved it, but it was juuuuuuust out of my price range so I couldn't get it. I just feel so much more comfortable driving something compact. I rented an SUV once and I loving hated driving that thing.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Hell, I scheduled my first real salon cut with the lady a coworker went and in the special request box I explained that I didn’t really get my hair because I had only just come out a year ago.

So that lovely woman spent the entire loving hour(+) teaching me about my dumb hair and different things I could do with it and how she was cutting my hair and why she was doing things that way.

Needless to say I’ll never go to anyone else ever again. Like, legit barbers and stylists are specialized professionals. Don’t be afraid to tap into their knowledge and ask their advice.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

That is extremely blessed and radical!!! What style did you go with? Do any coloring?

Long(ish) hair is such a pain in the keister! By golly anything more than like half an inch just skyrockets the required effort attention to make look good.

I love that clean fade cut hair basically style itself. Impossible to have a bad hair day. Roll out of the morning shower and good to go.

Seems like the ladies prefer my aesthetics when I have hair longer than fades, though.
I showed her a pic of Faye Webster and got that exact cut.

But I’ve since decided that isn’t gay enough and the past two cuts have been based primarily on Courtney Barnett, whose hair is best described as being the same but dykey.
My stylist figured out how to curtain my bangs exactly so that they don’t get into my eyes even after four months of growth (and my hair is very healthy and very straight, so length happens fast!)
No color, can’t afford color, but I want to do something different next time. I’m going to a Caroline Rose concert, so I want to look the part…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hell yes, Loner is one of my favorite albums of the past few years, Caroline Rose is fantastic
I encountered "Jeanie Becomes A Mom" on one of Courtney Barnett's playlists and immediately fell in love.
Then they dropped "The Art of Forgetting" like a month after I went through a messy break-up and I binged that album so loving much. I will always love Uncle Carol.

I told them "The Art of Forgetting" was my album of the year on Instagram and THEY LIKED MY MESSAGE!:swoon:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I don't normally think about watches and would never wear one, but Julien Baker was wearing a watch last night and it went great with her ensemble.
It felt appropriately....butchy.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve got “Before the Storm” sitting on my bookshelf now but I haven’t had the time to pick it up.
It's a great series....as far as I read it.

I couldn't make it through Invisible Bridge, it was too real. I'm very frightened these days. :ohdear:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

Look, im voting for Biden because I want to be stuffed into my rail car by a diverse collection of jackbooted thugs.
Yeah, girl boss Gestapo that get $5,000 of student loans forgiven if they serve for 5 years in underserved minority communities! They won't misgender me when they drag me off to a camp.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jesus Christ

One of the bartenders from my favorite bar was walking his dog, got jerked unexpectedly, slipped down an embankment and broke his neck. Paralyzed from the neck down.

Has a kid too.
Life is truly random and awful.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Just ordered a Kinesis Advantage360 Professional :buddy:
  • I am so gosh darn excited to do an ergonomic keyboard!
  • I'm trying to intentionally reframe my mindset of "my office equipment is good enough, so there's no need to spend money" to "it's actually cool and good to invest $ into things that promote good health". This is difficult because my instinct is frugal and my income is low.
  • Only downsides I found while researching is that it generally fits bigger hands better and that the bluetooth can be finnicky. I hope those issues don't pop up!

I got a Herman Miller Embody late last year during their sale. It's silly how night and day it is compared to the old used office chair I had been using before that.

Next, got too see if the mouse needs changing...
Dude, if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer (and is there anyone here who doesn't spend too much time in front a computer?), investing money in making it more comfortable and healthier is great!

My big recent purchase was a Victrola Revolution Go. It's a portable record player, and I've used it to play my grand total of two records (a peach smoke press of NOVA ONE's "lovable" and a blue press of boygenius' "the record") and it seems kind of silly, since I have Spotify (student discount rocks), but those records are loving gorgeous and there's something magical about watching them spin and the fact that the grooves in them are music.

Gonna have to buy more degenerate queer filth on vinyl in every color of the rainbow, I guess.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Nervous posted:

Apparently I did some scandalous poo poo in someone else's dream.
The one thing I've done in someone else's dream lately was paint her nails.
She painted mine, we were little girls at a sleepover.:3:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The only podcasts I listen to are The Pants Pod and We're Having Gay Sex. They are...not educational. I get enough of reality working retail and going to school for social work!

....I am so telling on myself right now.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

These republicans seem bad. The dems should probably take popular policy positions and try hard to materially improve lives so they can win the election.
No no no, that doesn’t test well with donors, the Dems must become fascism-lite in order to remain electable.

The DNC should pay me a million dollars a year for my brilliant insights.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Hope the genital reveal goes well.
…sorry, those things always make me cranky. The butt looks great though!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Venture Brothers is one of the best things in life, even though the older seasons have some deeply questionable choices (the creators are at least self-effacing enough to regret their bad choices. Which is probably why it just got better somehow)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, definitely got hit with a reality check today. Louisiana has a TOPS program which pays for tuition for college. My daughter qualifies for it. I had it when I was in school (for 3 years, it began one year after I graduated high school).

Today I started crunching some numbers and found out that her tuition and fees will be roughly $5641 per semester. However, her ACTUAL tuition will be $2703.48. Which means that her mandatory fees for college will be $2937.52. The fees are more than the college tuition! What is this, college or Ticketmaster???

I asked for a breakdown of the fees. While they gave me a list of the names, they couldn’t give me a numerical breakdown, which is bullshit. So while TOPS covers every penny of tuition, it doesn’t do jack for all these fees except for a $400 honors bonus.

Now she’s getting a supplemental scholarship due to her outstanding grades and ACT score, she’s applying for other scholarships and we do have the FAFSA filled out for aid, but that is just wrong. I knew college tuition was way more than it was when I went in 1996 but I sure don’t remember almost three grand in mandatory fees per semester. Maybe a couple hundred bucks?

That’s not including the room and meal plan, that’s another story.

Sheesh.
Don't forget books! One of my required books last semester was ~$130. FOR ONE BOOK!

Luckily, that professor is awesome and said in the first class it was available free online, via dubiously-legal means that made it impossible for her to link us to it.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I got lunch and then went hiking with a friend. She was the only one in my two classes who lived in the area, and she’s this loving rad lady who has lived in half a dozen different places around the globe and is generally smart and interesting and lovely. We inevitably veered into what a shitshow…everything is several times.

Great way to spend an afternoon!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I’ve always liked corned beef. It’s salty brisket! But the boiled cabbage, carrots, and potatoes? Total loving waste of perfectly good vegetables, IMO.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Its Rinaldo posted:

When is the :spooky:WITCHING HOUR:spooky: during the Olympics?

Hey now, how else will I get my faction reviews for my table top mini war games.

What, read somebody's blog post about Steel Phalanx or Abyssal Dwarfs? Fuckin lol
I just want to listen to two fabulous Xer lesbians bullshit for half an hour and occasionally bring up that TV show from 20 years ago they were on together.
Truly China is evil!

Yoooo, someone rear end in a top hat customer went off on my little 18-year old coworker. He was reaching over our cooler to grab poo poo off of backstock, and she said something to him about it, and he just lost in on her.
And oh no no no, you don't disrespect my sweet little sis! I think she was more composed than I was. Just a tiny calm teenager and an angry trans lady engaging some jerkass dude and eventually succeeding in getting him to leave us the gently caress alone.
Anyway, that's my story.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Air Skwirl posted:

After her appearance on SNL there were a bunch of rightwing think pieces on how the existence of a white woman with large breasts is somehow anti-woke.

It basically boiled down to "she makes me horny, therefore trans people don't exist." And yeah, I don't get it either.
They realize she's famous for being on the same TV show that made Hunter Schafer and Jacob Elordi famous, right? The one that stars Zendaya?

....no, I suppose they wouldn't, would they?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I’ve always been fond of beer, especially stouts. I had to adjust my drinking a little when I transitioned though, because it tanked my tolerance. Always have to take heavy stuff slow, really savor it.

The good news is I need less alcohol to get to a good place, which means I spend less money on booze.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I'm going to die in this hell country, sooner or later, because I'm poor and trans. Depends on how hard and fast we go fascist...

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Silly Burrito posted:

Modern medicine really is a miracle when you think about it. Braks went in for gall bladder removal surgery today. We got to the hospital at 5AM, she was wheeled back for surgery at 7, she was done at 8, in recovery at 9, and we're back at home at 11. That's almost slightly insane how fast that was.
Smooth surgeries are the best surgeries. Hopefully recovery goes just as smoothly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
poo poo, Joe Lieberman died? That's loving awesome, I wish more pieces of poo poo had the decency to die.