Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

2024 is the year of the economic collapse because its just what the world needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Also shoutout to Blind, thanks for all the cooking recs, you’re a true Nightcrew Homie

Nightcrew bestcrew

The Puppy Bowl posted:

2024 could be the year you spend a little less time traveling internet rabbit holes.

Hey, I'm tryin. I've been good lately.

Also, no one had earthquakes and tsunamis in their predictions? because about 4 countries have issued tsunami warnings today and the footage coming out of Japan looks downright terrifying.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh for fucks sake, and I had a month long probation.

Android users, what podcast app do you use. I'm currently using Google's but they're gonna shut it down in April I figured I should start looking now so if I don't like one I can try another.

pocket casts or spotify

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am 48 hours into a 72 hour fast and I'm gettin p hungry. Wouldn't be too bad other than my social media being lots about cooking stuff and it makes me hungry. Oh well, I'll enjoy that sushi tomorrow night.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

35 with no kids and no prospects but after seeing my brother become a father and seeing my niece grow from needy potato to whole person with her own personality and quirks but still having the mannerisms of my maternal grandfather and little expressions that are just like my brother has been kind of incredible and it makes me wish I'd been better about relationships in my 20s and early 30s. I hate my job and I hate my career prospects so I don't really have anything to sacrifice for. I have cool poo poo and do cool poo poo with my spare time but there's not much point in all the cool stuff when you're not sharing it with someone and the motivation in me is waning pretty badly to keep it up.

Is what it is. Kids and a wife and a life would be pretty cool. If it happens it happens, if not, thems the breaks. Can't force this poo poo into the universe.

swickles posted:

General Dog make sure are legal to fly your drone before you do. We live nowhere near an airport but are in an FAA zone that requires registration to fly a drone, something we found out when getting our roof done.

Also, crossposting from GWS but you guys always help me out too:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

No but I very much like this idea and maybe we should build one and become app millionaires.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m watching the second season of Reacher and it’s corny as hell. The first season was pretty good too.

The whole “you don’t mess with the special investigators” thing makes it feel like a 10 year old is talking about how badass his friends treehouse club is

Its hilarious how corny it is but I dunno why, this season just isn't grabbing me like the first one. I think the first one had that right mix in terms of tone with him being kinda folksy and friendly but capable of overwhelming brutality and they managed to walk that line extremely well. This season - not sure, maybe its the ensemble cast they have, not having the chemistry of the first one? The black dude from boston in the first one played off Reacher so loving well, I kinda miss their dynamic. The cutie he was working with in the first season was also a bad rear end in her own way but still rounded and grounded in her character but the lady he's working with in s2 is kind of brilliant and amazing at everything which makes me wonder if there's another shoe to drop with her that's coming or if its just bad writing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If everyone waited for certain times none of us would be here. Do everything you can to put the odds in your favor of course but you can't let what the world might do dictate your life choices too much.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of food just had half an apple to get things started again after fasting for 72 hours and it was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

Oh fun, we got our annual (apparently) disaster preparedness kit because we live (relatively) close to a nuclear power plant.

Whats in it?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

Mostly a rather large booklet with detailed instructions, meeting places, and details on how information is conveyed in case of emergency. Also, some vouchers for free potassium iodide pills and coupons on things like emergency radios.

A voucher for pills instead of the pills seems kinda... :effort:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Christ Openheimer dragged on, think I just don’t like Nolan’s style. It’s just a lovely knock off Chernobyl. Matt Dayton as the liaison hahaha get the gently caress out

Yeah. Could have been 45 minutes shorter and been a lot better.

Same with killers of the flower moon.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Has anyone upgrades their router lately? I'm considering upgrading mine. I prefer mesh for how my house is setup and currently have an older Netgear Orbi setup that I like. I haven't really paid attention the last few years so I'm not really sure what wifi 6 or 7 or whatever has to offer or even if they're worth upgrading too. Anyone have some info that can help me out?

I have an eero that came free with my new ISP and it's been pretty great. Comes with an app that I can check the connection status and devices connected and even reboot the router from my phone which is a nice change of pace. If I'm having connection issues or it's slow i can just reset and power it down and back on from the app without leaving the couch. I can also set up a guest network that connects to the specific band I want and keep things flowing smoothly if I have guests over etc too.

It also has an auto mesh feature so you can just buy additional ones and pair them if I need to extend the range.

I'm about as far from knowledgeable on these things as you can get though, so there might be better bang for your buck out there and I only got this one because it was free but it was a big jump up from the netgear I had that was over 8 years old and had significant issues with DNS consistently and would drop out all the time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

I don't like Shannon Sharpe.

Somebody ordered me, not told me, ordered me to watch the Katt Williams epsiode.

This motherfucker came in to burn the house down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRRZiRQxTs&t=875s

Yeesh, both of these guys are fine in small doses but they're definitely the loud ones at the party and there's no way I'd be able to listen to that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Kat tends to only yell when telling a joke to the audience.

Also being old sucks. Had this loving chill (was outside when it happened) back pain that has been nagging me for days. I think at one point it's gone but nope it shows up the next day. Ugh.

Tried stretching your legs and hips? Particularly hamstrings? I know whenever my back is getting sore it's because my hips, groin and hamstrings are for whatever reason carrying a bit of tension and a follow along stretching video can make a world of difference.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't help but feel pretty lovely as it hits afternoon on my last friday of leave about returning to work. I think that for my mental health I'm gonna have to start the dogshit job search again in a rapidly contracting economy, should be fun. At least at this point I'd be happier digging ditches than doing what I'm doing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Dog posted:

Early experiment with the drone (and with editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhtGX0CYcE

Thats cool

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get the shits when I have to drive more than an hour.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always forget michael fassbender is in it too, til I see him in the early episodes when he's the one who drinks from his canteen on the march.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im super unhappy today is my last day of vacation. Do not want to go back to work tomorrow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have to go back to work and normal routine and I am big sad about it. Why can't life just be all vacation :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not the best start to a Tuesday. Woke up at 4am to my smoke alarm chirping low battery. Get up at 5 anyway. No reason to go back to sleep.

Head to the gym at 5. Downpour starts on my route and I end up aquaplaning toward a guard rail at about 80kmh and just manage to poo poo whip the car back into traction and save it. Drove the rest of the way drat near shaking.

Don't need two near heart attacks before 6am on a Tuesday.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Happy Birthday fellas, Hope its a good-un/

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im too lazy to learn forumlas and use chat GPT for my excel stuff now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I got.an infection from a wisdom tooth removal. Waking up yo a gob full of pus was an experience.

Because, it makes you vomit and with an open and inflamed wound it's an... experience.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

How long should I deep fry boneless chicken thighs for?

5 mins or so depending on thickness.

I have an ink bird instant read that takes the guess work out. Worth the investment tbh. Makes cooking other more delicate things like chicken titty and pork chops etc easier too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Welcome to Earf!

Always loved that they played an air force pilot marrying a stripper and having an engagement ring with dolphins on it completely straight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

For what its worth Elk btw, I don't get bloated or the shits from most cheeses including the processed stuff, but a glass of milk is like a timebomb in my guts. Harder cheeses might be fine.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Whopper is my go to for fast food burgers out here too. McDonalds all tastes like McDonalds and that's cool and good and all but I like Whoppers cause they taste like an actual burg.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Netflix out here at least. Just dropped "boy swallows universe" which is based on one of my favourite books ever.

It's also set in 1980s brisbane and was shot primarily in a suburb not far from where I live right now. Its set in the 80s but if anyone watches it, you're watching my home town.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I enjoy that this implies your dad knows murderers who you have not met.

Unless you count suicides I do not think I have ever met a murderer. I was aware of someone who killed his wife vaguely, but I never met the guy, just knew people who knew him.

I knew a dude who killed someone in a fight but it was clear cut self defense. I also know a couple guys who served with the commando regiment and another who worked with the SAS so for sure they killed a bunch of people. I'm also like 90% sure one of my friends crazy brothers who used to rob bikie gangs of drugs and cash who I would guess has probably dropped a few people but I don't really know him, only met him twice.

I think only the latter qualifies as murder though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh yeah I also went to school with this piece of poo poo. Forgot about him. He was always a fuckin' nut case too. I remember one day outside class when we all had to line up to wait to go in someone accidentally stood on his shoes in the press and he just flipped his lid and started wailing on him. Took two of us to restrain him.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/life-imprisonment-for-grandma-killer-20080925-4nyd.html

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I went to catholic school but I kind of went from a decent neighbourhood through lovely ones on public transport to a private school. So it meant I got to see the menagerie every day. I saw someone get stabbed when I was about 14, got attacked by some cracked out woman was I was 16 because someone sitting near me threw a wad of paper at her when she was tweaking out. Saw a dude get his face busted open with a fence paling at a house party, I also worked in demolition for a little bit when I was at university and had some dude on parole steal my lunch one day that I ended up in a down and out punch up with and busted up my thumb pretty good. My right thumb knuckle is like twice the size of the left one for some kinda medical reason.

I was once also kind of involved in some hooliganism when I was at a lovely soccer game and two slav communities who'd adopted teams ended up kicking off deluxe with flares and old country genocide beef that took like a platoon of cops to break up. I got punched in the ear trying to pick a friend of mine up in the press by a dude who thought I was trying to hurt him and my stories kind of pale in comparison to some people I know.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I don't know much about Vivek, for all I know he might be a bought and paid for piece of poo poo but his destruction of Haley was absolutely the most based thing I have ever seen.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fellas (and ladies) you gotta watch boy swallows universe on netflix. It's in my loving backyard and I'm geeking out over the places I grew up being on TV.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The look on her fuckin face when he pointed out she was near bankrupt when she left the UN and is now worth millions was worth the price of admission.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey, I'm not supporting or advocating anyone, this was just funny to me to see someone say the quiet part out loud. It's all a mess in every western country. Might as well enjoy the funny poo poo when it crops up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get a bit annoyed when it's the start to the game like Kojima likes to do.

Give me a short 1 minute cutscene to set the stage, then get me into the mission and show don't tell me the rest.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Made some potato pave tonight. Turned out pretty good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Raw carrots are good. Cooked. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Dog posted:

Count me among those who thought seasons 2 and 3 were the best thing on TV. Season 1 is a tough hang, though.

I think I’ve said before, but the latter two seasons of The Leftovers are like all best aspects of Lost with none of the bullshit, whereas Westworld (all seasons) is all of Lost’s bullshit with none of the good.

I absolutely adored the leftovers but I am madly in love with Carrie Coon so I might be bias.