Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Saw Poor Things instead of watching the Super Bowl.

Sounds like I made the better choice.

What the gently caress you're in my town :stare: That was not the first thing I expected to see clicking on the chat thread

I was literally at the Lyric last night for a Valentine's burlesque show with my wife lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Speaking of Jesus what is with this loving Creed comeback. They were in that unhinged Paramount ad with Tua and Patrick Stewart, then I randomly started hearing them in the grocery store "inoffensive pop music" mix. I hadn't thought about Creed in like 20 years and was very happy to keep it that way

I guess they're doing a reunion tour this year which is unfortunate

The Glumslinger posted:

Jesus would show up super stoned to DSA meetings

my man

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

What kind of person wears jorts

You realize what site you're posting on right

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

swickles posted:

First time dealing with an insurance claim denial as a patient. These guys aren't ready for this smoke. And it was for a loving primary care visit to establish a PCP and get yearly check-up/labs.

Good luck. My insurance (Aetna) basically denies everything and we have to appeal it to get paid out. Somehow there is ALWAYS "a problem with the referral". No matter what it's for or with what provider. Very cool and good system :911:

We have the option to switch to a PPO and not deal with referral/PCP nonsense but the premiums are a LOT higher so we've been reluctant. Getting closer and closer to doing it, though, because no longer spending multiple hours a month on the phone has real value.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 12, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I switched to new Teams and it's exactly like the old version :shrug:

My company keeps bouncing around between video chat providers and we're currently on Teams. Agreed "new" teams seems basically indistinguishable from the old one, at least on mac. It's... fine? Apparently we are switching to the Google suite whenever our MS contract is up, for Reasons. As far as I can tell Google completely changes their video collaboration product every 3 months so who knows what it will look like or even be called by then.

I do a lot of work with AWS and can confidently state that Amazon Chime is the worst video call software ever produced. Amazon hard requires using it for any calls with their employees. If you are going to force your employees and customers to use this product you made, maybe invest some resources in making it not a total unmitigated piece of poo poo??? It's embarrassing.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

the further we stray from ICQ

:haibrow: ICQ was the first chat app my homies and I used in high school. Until some buttmuch in Israel (at least that's what he put in his profile) hacked my poo poo and stole my low digit user ID. I was too mad to reregister and hopped on the AIM train after that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Same think happened when I was leaving my old job and before I gave notice. "It's expiring sooner than that mfer!"

This is the most liberating feeling (assuming it's, ya know, a voluntary departure). MANDATORY ACTION REQUIRED - URGENT - PLEASE READ

Require deez nuts *delete*

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

my favorite thing about this is the lack of brakes. Of any kind

I mean most sleds are just like a tube or a sheet of plastic without brakes

Bird in a Blender posted:

That's what falling off was for.

This guy gets it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

swickles posted:

Anyone know how to get in touch with Ehud? I want to send him Jason Kirk's book because I think he is the target demographic to the letter.

Say “Ryan Tannehill” 3 times in a dark room in front of a mirror and then post the video to the AFCE thread.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He turns up in WoW Classic threads too. Fuckin nerd

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We postin dawgs?

This dog loves nothing more than to be as cold as possible. Oh it’s 15 degrees out? Sounds good I’ll be outside lying in the fuckin snow if you need me.

saintonan posted:

The RNC is down to about $8 million (not counting unpaid debts). 2023 was the worst year for Republican fundraising in a decade. I can't imagine Trump's PACs are any better off, and this will crush downballot races.

At least in part this is because people just donate to Trump directly now rather than the RNC. Which he then turns around and spends on legal fees in his 500 different cases, lol. It’s always a grift.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Same :hf: But my mom was happy to hear it. 25th straight BEST YEAR EVER at the factory (not including 2020.)

I celebrated by eating two dozen oysters from Blue Plate Oysterette. I assume everyone here loves raw oysters!

Oysters rule. Although 2 dozen sounds like a LOT even as an oyster enjoyer

Congrats to all on securing the bag this week :respek:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What is the point of the posts furthest out from the pool. They look like they wouldn’t even be holding weight and if they started to it wouldn’t last long. I mean that’s not even the top 5 most pressing question about Groverpool but still. There’s a lot of lols to unpack here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If your coworker is getting fired for her attire while complying with the dress code I hope she enjoys her fat wrongful termination payout? I’m guessing you mean they need her (or someone in general) gone and the way she dresses will contribute to them picking her even if it’s not said out loud. Which still sucks but seems like less of a labor lawyer bat signal.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We did a short trip to SD last month. Unfortunately our 7 year old immediately got “throwing up every hour for a full day” sick so we basically spent the whole time in the hotel room. Kids are such a blessing and a treasure :shobon: What we did see was very fun and interesting though and I very much want to come back for better experience.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Enjoy your stays in Colorado, it is pretty cool and good imo. Not much of a skier although I am trying to get my kids into it and hopefully pick it back up myself.

We took the kids to a tubing hill this past weekend. I feel pretty lucky to be able to drive like half an hour and be in mountain wilderness.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Only took into my late thirties but I finally qualified for an itemized deduction on my taxes.

My dad will be proud.

I did for a while but then “TRUMP” changed the tax code around for reasons and it ended up being a wash again :shrug:

Maxwells Demon posted:

Grew up in a ski town (Bend), mainly did cross-country skiing until grad school, then moved to Switzerland and did a lot of downhill skiing on the Alps.

Have never had a major ski injury, a few friends I know have had them but all of theirs are from something stupid happening on a crowded run.

Ski powder, never get hurt.

Also listen to your instincts about whether you might trigger a snow movement, almost got one of my colleagues when he ignored that instinct.

Bend is a shockingly cool town for being like 3 hours from any other form of civilization. I have some family there. It reminds me a lot of my city in Colorado with less of an insane population boom

Also ski chat reminded me of my buddy in high school who was coming down to the lodge at Mach 10 for some reason (he was a very good skier, did black diamond+ regularly). Hit a patch of lovely icy snow as he went to slow down (sup New England skiing), took a digger and DESTROYED his collar bone. He had to have pins inserted and had this absolutely massive scar on his chest. So much for the teenage invincibility aura :rip:

If I get back out there my plan is to very much remember I am old and frail and go about 5mph

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Today I learned "bad home improvement hacks with weird spray paint stencils" is a genre. I assume it's somehow meant to trigger people for engagement because that's all social media is. And it worked, I hate it!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sorry Elden Ring I’ve only beaten Baldur’s Gate 3 once and I’ve got several more playthroughs claiming my game time for like the next year. Currently doing Resist Dark Urge on tactician

FizFashizzle posted:

I looked up how to do it and just dug it out. Put some bullshit underneath and leveled the first row real well. Backfilled with gravel. Just lots of shovel work. Not a big deal.

During pandemic lockdown I dug up our yard in Massachusetts, which was on a gently sloping hill, to make a big rear end level area to build a play structure for the kids. It was the middle of summer and made me REALLY appreciate my computer toucher career lol. Several days sweating balls and covered in dirt, wearing as few clothes as I felt ok with in full view of the neighbors. Results were worth it but oof. February seems like a better time to do ground works if you live somewhere the ground isn’t frozen

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

They've mercifully moved on to talking about how great our service division is doing and showing how much revenue has increased

Coincidentally, we're paying so much for cloud services, our expenses have increased by just as much.

Part of my job is helping our developers light less money on fire in their usage of AWS and I am always very busy. Like come on guys some services basically have a “pay less money” check box and they don’t loving check it!!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Me: I should start following the TFF chat thread this offseason

TFF chat thread: moldy rear end meat and cooking with yeast infections

:yikes:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

drat that sucks. Also any time there is a story about someone being a loving idiot in CO there's like an 80% chance they're in Colorado Springs. A perfect singularity of conservative libertarian morons. This is the city that voted to eliminate basically all public services at one point and then acted surprised when it actually sucked that nobody was maintaining the parks or collecting trash or powering street lights lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I've been to CO Springs twice, and it's absolutely beautiful. Just a shame it's run by idiots (and if I'm not mistaken, there's a major culty religion that heavily influences stuff, alongside the air force base). Its sprawl is pretty bad, and you have to go to Manitou to by weed since CO Springs won't let weed stores in city limits lmao

Still, I'd go back.

Yeah it is gorgeous countryside, just a shame that it is an ultraconservative hellhole socially. And yes it is home to Focus on the Family, whose main mission is the extermination of LGBTQ+ people and rights. Kirk Cousins is involved with them in some way, which isn't terribly surprising I guess but sucks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Been rewatching walking dead cause I stopped around s6. So plz no spoilers but Carol. She's a bad bitch. Best character in the show.

I really enjoyed the first few seasons. But at some point it felt like they got in a rut of repeatedly finding human civilization, thinking surely they are finally safe, then oops they’re all totally depraved psychopaths who are worse than the zombies. Who could have foreseen it’s only like the fourth time in a row!!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

General Dog posted:

I started Baldur’s Gate 3 a few weeks ago after hearing all the hype, and while it seems very cool, all of the systems just overwhelm me, even after watching several very helpful and extensive explainer videos.

I had a hard time getting into the game at first, but I’m glad I got over the hump because I am obsessed now lol. Just hit act 2 on my second play through and I am finding so much crap that I missed the first time despite trying to be very thorough. It’s insane how big the game is.

One thing is that at low levels, you just suck. This is a consequence of using the DND rules cause that’s how it is in tabletop too. At low level you can’t do poo poo. Once you get to like level 3 you should feel less lame and classes start to get really cool toys at level 5. Melee also tends to be stronger early on because they can always bonk stuff but casters don’t have any good spells yet.

And while there are tons of mechanics and systems to engage with, you mostly don’t have to. Especially on lower difficulties. Literally one of the best builds in the game is 12 levels of barbarian and all you do is throw poo poo at bad guys. Every action every turn. You can go hog wild making a combo bard / Druid / fighter that gets 10 attacks a turn and needs very specific gear but you can also just pick up a sword and throw it at a dude and you will win either way. In my first play through I don’t think I crafted a single potion, barely drank any, barely used scrolls etc. Depth and complexity is there if you want it but it’s not really necessary to beat the game.

I’d encourage you to try to push through the weak opening levels because the story and characters and world they’ve built are really incredible. If you are struggling with a specific encounter just leave and do something else for a while. There’s like 50 different scenarios of various difficulty and complexity just in the first act. Go explore and talk to people for a while until you get more xp and gear to deal with whatever battle is frustrating you.

Last thing is you can and should have a party of 4. I somehow missed companions you’re supposed to get immediately and spent hours with a party of 2 wondering why every encounter was loving impossible. Turns out fighting with 2 hands behind your back sucks!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

T-Square posted:

Important coffee shop conga line update: I didn’t realize one of the friends I was there with has that place on his service route on Mondays and knows one of the guys that works there. He just told me the manager told the weird conga line people to knock it off, and then the organizer lady tried to start it up again later and he kicked them all out :laugh:

Nice. I've encountered a few coffee shops that are literally run by a church so I was wondering if it was that. But sounds like just some aggressive weirdos taking things too far

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Anyone have a refrigerator brand they like? I've had a Samsung one for 7 years and I'm done with it. Every 6 months or so I have to pull the thing apart and attempt to defrost the drain line. This time it was even worse as I had ice buildup all along the evaporator. I'm worried that I have a refrigerant leak since ice buildup is a common problem with low refrigerant. I'm not going to get this thing fixed any more, I'm just done with it.

I have a lot of LG appliances in the house now and I'm leaning getting one of those, but any recommendations are welcome.

We bought this GE one last year and so far no complaints https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-27-7-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR-GFE28GYNFS/312648552

I know external ice makers are supposed to be like the number one source of problems but we really wanted one :shrug: So far so good. My only nitpick would be I wish the shelves on the doors held more stuff. Which is directly influenced by the ice maker taking up a bunch of space that could be used for door shelving lol, so that's on me for insisting on it. It doesn't have a screen or wifi or any of that bullshit which I consider a plus.

It's pretty drat big, holds more than enough for our family of 4. Especially coming from a lovely side-by-side model that was always jammed so full that something would usually fall out onto my toe whenever I opened the freezer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Timby posted:

Madison fines you if your sidewalks aren't clear within 24 hours of snowfall ending

The town we used to live in in Mass, nobody ever loving shoveled. They just let it sit on the sidewalk for weeks, turning to ice and growing more and more dangerous. I don’t think there was any legal requirement to, but come on, don’t be a lazy rear end in a top hat. It was basically impossible to walk my dog during the winter unless I just wanted to do it in the middle of the road

Intruder posted:

Fast food these days also isn't that much less than getting takeout at an actual restaurant so the incentive to get McDonald's or something is lower than ever

Yeah I don’t eat much fast food these days but the last time I went to Wendy’s and it was like $15 for a regular sandwich + fries meal definitely made me wonder what the point even is anymore. If I’m gonna eat something that will make me feel like rear end it should at least be cheap

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 27, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The Ace Hardware in our town is the only place I've seen selling Darrell Lea licorice. I'm trying to get better about going there first, especially when I just need one thing. About 90% of the time the staff are attentive enough to ask what you're looking for when you walk in the front door and at least point you down the correct aisle. Last week when I said I was looking for connectors for network wiring the old guy working there said, "I can show you where all that stuff is, but I can't help if you have any questions about any of it", which I assured him was just fine.

Speaking of food in hardware stores, rip to the free popcorn at Ace post pandemic. It was probably always a terrible idea health wise but it was nice for my fat rear end bribing the kids while I got some errands done

Amy Pole Her posted:

If I was gonna go electric I’d probably move a few things and pickup a Taycan simply because Porsche did amazing R+D on their battery tech and between them and Toyota, are the industry leaders imo, but nothing Toyota makes excited me. The new Prius is close - they’ve made it a gorgeous car - I just don’t love the limited range.

The new Kias EVs are actually attractive too

The f150 hybrid is probably as close as I’ll get to EV

We have a Chevy Bolt from a few years ago. Other than the range that tops out around 200 miles under unreasonably perfect conditions I have zero complaints, it’s a great little car for normal use and day trips. We have an old Hyundai SUV we use for longer road trips. We also got like 33% off from various government incentives that don’t exist anymore so that helped :911:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 3, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not what you guys are doing, but I swear every time I mention the Bolt to someone they’re like “oh yeah the Volt I’ve heard those are good”. Somehow a car that was discontinued 5 years ago still has more marketing mindshare lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I mean they still work. We had a stretch of like -15 lows in January. But the range goes to poo poo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

seiferguy posted:

in fact the Hummer EV is considered one of the worst environmentally friendly vehicles on the planet, gas or otherwise).

This is probably considered a selling point tbh as I assume the kind of person who buys a Hummer is doing it to own the libs

Freaquency posted:

I have it on good authority that 15-minute cities are communism, actually

(After we moved and I started WFH my driving dropped from 300+ mi a week to maybe 50mi every two weeks, depending on where we go to hike or whatever. It owns)

Branding myself as a terrorist but I hate driving. One reason I live where I do is the city is super supportive of bicycling, there’s paved trails and wide well marked dedicated bike lines all over the place. It’s pretty cool. It wouldn’t be trivial but I could live without a car and not be turbofucked. Kids would revolt if I made them bike everywhere though :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

God drat haven’t thought about the ol water bottle bong in a couple decades lmao

No Butt Stuff posted:

Obviously battery technology will change and all that jazz over time, but expanding rail and then having local deliveries as the last leg would be the most economical.

It will never happen though so we will try to make it so we can have 800 trucks all headed in the same direction on batteries instead.

A while back some agency here in CO published an assessment of how long it would take to build light rail from Fort Collins down to Denver. It was like 75 years aka “not happening, ever, gently caress you for even asking”

Reasonable rail service was one of the biggest things I liked about the Boston area. People bitch about the T and for good reason but at least it exists. Being able to get all over the city and a surprisingly large swathe of suburbia without a car was pretty dope. Hell you could take Amtrak all the way to Maine.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

General Dog posted:

I stretched the truth, "Judge" is just her title and not her first name. Rated 2 pinnochios

I've encountered doctors named "Hack" and "Kilgore" which both seemed a little on-the-nose

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

I detect not all of you have read the books

How about the batshit David Lynch movie with Sting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEx96aVAKs4

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bobjr posted:

Farscape rules

Hell yeah brother. My college roommates and I were loving obsessed with it lol. Scorpius was a badass. Granted it’s been like 20 years somehow so I have no idea how it held up, but it was super fun when it originally aired

CannonFodder posted:

Aww, I was hoping for someone wanting to go on adventures with Axel Foley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-A8GWyYAA

And going back even further, we loving loved the Clerks cartoon circa senior year of high school. I KNOW that one didn’t age well, cause Kevin Smith, but it still has some lines I quote to this day.

*dream sequence* Patrick Ewing actually makes a jump shot, and the Knicks win an important game! lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There are very few things in this life you can always bank on. But “the opposite of what Cramer said” is one of them

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Cramer was supposedly a Trotskyist in college anyway, so we know he can't be trusted

I wrote a very earnest paper about the merits of anarchism for a freshman political science class. I may have been WAY too deep into certain punk bands / subcultures at the time

IIRC I still got a good grade because the point was your ability to argue, not whether the base principles you were arguing from made any goddam sense. 18 year old me thought maybe people weren’t mostly stupid selfish assholes and lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't think you can call yourself politically literate if you didn't go through an anarchist phase when you were a teenager. Hopefully you don't become a libertarian.

My idiot libertarian phase came first thankfully, in high school. I’m obnoxiously leftist in my old age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

yeah, I think everyone needs that phase. I see a teenage/early 20s libertarian and i think "Ahh, you'll hopefully be a good ally in a few years."

I'm also old enough to remember when libertarianism was all about abortion and weed and no seat belts and not about age of consent.

Just to make sure we are on the same page I am fuckin old, early 40s. Any phases I’m talking about are well in the past, I am solidly some flavor of socialist lib cuck for the last 20 years