Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Place your bets on how 2024 will go & what will happen!

Will :dementia: stay in office or are we getting another round with :chaostrump:?

Summer Olympics in Paris! Will anybody care?

We got 2 major conflicts going on (Ukraine & Gaza). Will the world get a hat trick on violence?

Which goons will get divorced? Which ones will get married? Which will have kids?

Will we be shitposting on some new social media platform and will we get embed codes for this dead forum?

Will (INSERT TEAM HERE________) win the (INSERT SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP HERE__________)?

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Freaquency posted:

Also because I know all you degens want to know:

Congrats Lee on being the 2023 Chat Thread king

I'm coming for your record, LeeMajors.

I think there are times I'm not posting for days but that's because I'm outdoors in the woods.

Unrelated but my sister let me know when I picked her up at the airport from her trip to India that her New Year's resolution is to cut down on meat consumption. Whelp, so much for serving her that sous vide pork shoulder I was going to smoke… :doh:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well 2024 is off to an… interesting start.
https://i.imgur.com/dUlJFf8.mp4
I grabbed my honing steel after cutting some stuff with my chef's knife and noticed the steel itself is worn smooth. My first purchase of 2024 will be a new honing steel.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also a reminder:
https://x.com/wejustnormalmen/status/1741761186620698624?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Went to mass with my sister since it's our dad's death anniversary. We were approached by some of the staff and asked to help by bringing up the offerings to the priest, which my sister said yes for us.

I'm wearing a Nine Inch Nails zip-up hoodie.

The candles here are also electronic and accept dollar bills.

Happy new year, goons.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Death in New Year's Day definitely sets the tone for the year. My condolences.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://i.imgur.com/HA44tm3.mp4
Smoked a pork shoulder after having it sous vide in pickle brine for about 20 hours.

Finished product. About to shred it and toss it in the reduced pickle brine juices from the sous vide.

They made pretty decent taco filling. Also in it was roasted cauliflower rice, cheap Mexican blend cheese, tomato, scallion, and avocado (not pictured because I forgot for this round).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Posting thru the pain of being a goon.

Quality via sheer volume!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I. M. Gei posted:

My grocery store started selling head-on shrimp and I'm gonna buy some and make some good rear end gumbo. Possibly with crawfish meat added.

drat now I want gumbo. Or at least some crawfish.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Eating rear end was already mainstream by 2020 so it makes sense that it evolved into gumbo by 2024.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I watched Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves again last night because my sister thought she didn't see it. She kept saying she recognized Justice Smith from some other movie and then just listed plot points of the very same movie we were watching. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My sister got me some Indian coffee while she was in Bangalore. Tastes a little burnt… :geno:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Turned 46 last month and no kids.

A part of me wonders if I "missed the window" though I know medically I can make kids as long as I got decent swimmers down there., mainly because now if I have any I'd be in my 60's by the time they're ready to go to college. Of course, there's also the whole aspect of "finding a partner to receive my demon seed" that I'm woefully bad at.

My sister kinda wanted kids and during her marriage she realized it wasn't going to be in the cards for her. :smith:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I can barely take care of my housemate's dog, so the idea of raising a kid of my own is pretty crazy.

That said I can be a great dog uncle, as seen by getting Fritha some dog goggles & hearing protection for Christmas.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I built a catio for my house as one of my former house mates had a couple and it's currently unused.

Every now & then I think that it would be nice to have a cat as they're a little lower-maintence than dogs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

I could use something similar. My sister helped me organize my pantry and man I had a lot of duplicate things in there. Also a lot of old stuff that needed to be thrown out.

The only saving grace is that I don't have a significant other to buy something I already have enough of, but still embarassing when I have 3 bags of almond flour that haven't even been opened yet.

As dumb as I thought it was at first the refrigerator that has the screen to let you see inside is nice to get a quick inventory glance. No more multiple packages of tortillas or containers of mayonnaise!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Funny enough my friend lost their drone when we were in a wooded field last Saturday. It wasn't a DJI but he also has another drone that me may use to look in the upper part of the trees sometime later this month.

Cue my friend sending waves upon waves of drones to look for the missing ones until we can find them by the gigantic pile next to some random doug fir.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
"Maybe it will be okay to let my bread proof in the oven for about 8 hours while I'm at work today…"

Overproofing had it collapse on itself.
:negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I respect folks that want to have kids in this era as at least they're optimistic enough to hope their offspring can make things better.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

harperdc posted:

one of my friends is sometimes like "man I dunno" about his son, but seems like some of it is just toddlers are dumb. hard to tell.

the one, honest, true regret I have in my life, is that the timing of things went such that my little one came around a couple years after my mom passed away. She was looking forward to being a grandma so goddamn much, it's the one pain that I do have. almost everything else that was a forking path can be balanced out by how it actually has turned out, but man, that is the one that hurts. Hug your moms, if you're able and want to.

Definitely my regret is not letting my parents be grandparents before they passed away. At least my mom got to see my sister get married.

Smoking Crow posted:

Called off work today bc I have a doctor's appointment

My sister needs to go to a doctor's appointment today so I'm up at 5:30am. Even though she's visiting me she's not on vacation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Get Out was a hell of a debut for Jordan Peele.

I liked Us but it got compared to his first film too much IMO.

Nope really started tapping into his Spielberg influences and was a lot of fun to see in the theater.

Now I'm thinking about the new season of True Detective that's coming out this month and how the following seasons after the 1st were not received as well because the debut was such a game-changer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fartknocker posted:

I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.
Like Bird in a Blender said, the Cleveland Institute of Art is… actually kind of cool if that's your thing.

Sister & I went to the mausoleum our parents are interred and afterwards had a bit of a hard time finding a place to get dinner, so we ended up hitting up 21st Century Pizza for a couple slices to take home. As soon as we arrived she proceeds to to this:

I didn't know I was related to Marion Cobretti.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

kiimo posted:

FYI I'm working on the next Jordan Peele film. I'd say what it is but we're probably gonna change the name.

Also he is producing a Dev Patel directed film (think John Wick / Nobody set in India) and our trailer drops in the AFC championship game. It's rad.

:krad: I loved Dev Patel in The Green Knight.

Back at work early since my sister's job still has her on East Coast time.
https://i.imgur.com/GsjPhTB.mp4
Nothing like being greeted by a gigantic murder of crows in front of your building.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Funny too that Millennials think Texas is thean answer to their current situation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

No Butt Stuff posted:

Got a paxlovid script. Hoping the kids dodge this. They’re gonna eat so much DoorDash

Use it to try all the various chicken wing establishments in your area. That's what I do.

Took my sister to SunRice where she got the maitake silog while I got the corned beef one. Lechon was kind of overkill but the mango peach hot sauce was :discourse:.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Smoking Crow posted:

posters of tff i come to you with a problem: a football e/n

so my dad is a huge steelers fan. he loves the steelers. i would talk to him about the steelers before but not in any detail since i quit watching football like ~10 years ago. now that i've gotten fully back into it with this lions team, i've been talking to him more and more about football bc it's something that we can talk about and not have it go into angry shouting or whatever. except that he won't shut up about how much he wants mike tomlin fired. every game he tells me about how this is the one where tomlin loses and finally gets canned. he begs and pleads for the steelers to lose so he can have a losing season and get fired. he tells me about how he wants tj watt to be traded to a better team so he can be rewarded with a super bowl that he will never get in pittsburgh under mike t

what do i do? how do i convince him that losing tomlin won't make your qb room any better? how do i get him to talk about literally anything else about the steelers except mike tomlin jesus christ

What's your brother's SA account name?

Braksgirl posted:

Our super picky teenager went out with friends today and tried a Korean corn dog. Is she becoming an adult now? I'm astonished.
Your teen is cool. Which Korean corn dog did they try?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

I don't like Shannon Sharpe.

Somebody ordered me, not told me, ordered me to watch the Katt Williams epsiode.

This motherfucker came in to burn the house down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRRZiRQxTs&t=875s

I don't think I have the ability to listen to Katt or Shannon talk for almost 3 hours.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Uh…

:confused:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yes hello my name is Jin a very serious Samurai have you seen any Mongols today why are you laughing this is serious business

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like a good road trip and while talking to my sister over dinner we got to talking about cars. I'll likely need to replace my 2002 Toyota Highlander soon and I'll likely get a Toyota hybrid. I'm not 100% set on going full electric vehicle as I often go out in the woods and long road trips can mean longer downtime recharging the battery.

I wish car companies went with the hydrogen slurry system so that it could be sucked out/pumped in of cars to quickly "recharge" them instead of using the current battery system.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Longest nonstop drives I've done was was Boston, MA to Savannah, GA and Portland, OR to San Diego, CA.

Longest overall drives were Boston to San Diego, Boston to Portland, OR, and The Villages, FL to Portland, OR.

This helped me to reach my goal of being in every state in the US. Last one on my bucket list is Hawaii because I can't drive to it, then I've been in all 50 states.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Flight from Mobile to Charlotte on a little Embraer tin can, got to cruising altitude and ripped the longest, loudest fart in years. Surrounded by skinny women so I was instantly the suspect. Just put on a dumb, ignorant smile for the rest of the flight and tried to ignore the visual daggers.

Scoped out the gate that the OKC flight is leaving from in 4 hours. Looked behind and one of them saw me there and silently did the arms down gesture of "you have got to be kidding me"

Next time tell them to open a window if they're so offended.
Just wait until the plane lands before doing so, or you get this:
https://x.com/jammulinks/status/1743645499528204761?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

I took my sister to PDX this morning so she could fly home & causally mentioned this to her.

She was not amused.

Combined with the attempted crashing of another Alaska Airlines plane a couple months ago, I'm starting to think the sky's of Portland are cursed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Lmao a disabled freight train north of Salem sent my train back to Portland so now I'm sitting in a bar waiting for my brother to pick me up in Oregon City per his request. Next time I'm gonna set up a trip to Oregon Zoo.

The Oregon Zoo is fun. I've seen "Weird" Al Yankovic perform there several times.

Oregon City is… fine. Canard has a location there and last time I visited I had the steamed hamburgers.

Yes, they are inspired by fellow Portlander Bill Oakley.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I missed out on The OC but I'm aware of its cultural impact at the time.

Now to start your Sunday with an incredible earworm

And who can forget this iconic scene, which was even parodied by SNL?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEzQcayEPM
Fun fact: I share a birthday with Imogen Heap.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I started The Wire during the Pandemic but only got a couple episodes into season 2.

Never saw Band of Brothers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

Finding out Idris Elba is extremely british was such a mindfuck for me after watching The Wire

Apparently it was a shock to the rest of the cast & even David Simon too!

fartknocker posted:

FYI it's on Netflix now and it's only a 10-episode miniseries. It's extremely good and rolls along very quickly.

I got both MAX (thanks to Xfinity) & Netflix so there really is no reason I am not watching either.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is something wrong with iOS awful app?
  • App won't refresh the threadlist when I'm in subforums.
  • App won't load text when I click on threads. It just stays black.

Have you asked around in the Awful iOS App thread?

FWIW I'm not seeing any issues on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Latest batch of NFL GDT chicken wing bones being turned into stock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

I got a ham bone in the freezer and wondering if I should make a pork stock

I mean what else will you use it for? Collard greens? Split pea & ham soup?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

We watched The Menu the other night at my friend's house and then ate cheeseburgers and s'mores for dinner. we relished it.

I've yet to talk to folks that saw The Menu and didn't get a cheeseburger afterwards. I literally drove to McDonald's to get a quarter pounder with cheese & I haven't been to a McDonald's for almost 3 years before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

That was such a good looking burger.

The 2nd unit director of The Menu was David Gelb, who is the show runner of Chef's Table. It made the line Tyler said about Chef's Table an inside joke. :v:

a sexual elk posted:

Well I had made a brown sugar/honey/syrup/mustard glaze on the ham and saved all the drippings for future stir fry beef/chicken marinades. Pork stock seems weird, like saving hot dog water haha. I hate wasting stuff but what can I apply it to. Know ham cheese tater soup is a thing. But Christ that’s a stretch, my angle would be a mashed tater (Yukon/Idahos) cooked in pork stock with a cheese sauce maybe corn and some shredded ham

Grab a couple more pork bones/knuckles/feet and make tonkotsu broth. It's definitely ramen season.