Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

43 with a cat. It's funny how much my extended family on my dad's side encapsulates the generational divide.

My eldest aunt moved to Maryland, and had 5 kids, the youngest of which is 7 years older then I am. All 5 of them have married and each have multiple kids. I'm 43, so right on that breakline between X / Millennial and have a younger sister and 5 younger cousins all of which are 5-10 years younger then me. Not a one of us have a kid, only one of us are married at all, and 0 plan on having kids.

Couple of the elder cousins married stupid wealthy too. Like "sends a christmas card proudly mentioning her fundraiser for Ron DeSantis" rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Do it, cats own

Mine hops into my lap at around 10-11 am every day and falls asleep, forcing me to stop doing whatever and just 1 armed browse the forums instead of working or whatever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I was gonna say, I don't know what a young pelican looks like, but I'm pretty sure they'd have the neck thing even if they did have a much thinner beak

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also I found a bug today where our name parser breaks if someone enters a provider with the same first and last name. Which is really annoying because how many Dr's could there possibly be in the US with matching names and secondly, that's the exact kind of bug I'd expect to have been found in testing as surely someone would've been lazy enough to put in Smith,Smith as a dr name somewhere.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm well versed in Bird Law

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

In my school alone, there were two sets of people with the same first and last name. Not in the same year, but still...

.... Fine I'll submit the bugfix

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait what happened with EDP :ohdear:

he disappeared and people keep saying pedo stuff as to the why. I don't really want to know any more then that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man the infusion center of a hospital isn't a very cheerful place

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Is it true that you have to make snow days up at the end of the year in May/June?

That sucks rear end lol

Back in my day the school year just had a few days built in. But yeah, miss enough and schools add an extra week or whatever at the end. Always fun for seniors who super don't care by that point.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Literally a more then 25% drop on the day, huh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amica has good customer service and isn't terribly expensive if you've got a clean record.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, SI hasn't really had a place for a long while as a magazine, but you'd think like... writers, reporters and photographers should be the kind of thing that should seamlessly transfer to the internet, but we utterly failed at it, just completely gutted journalism and entire industries instead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah. It's been a zombie publication for awhile, and pretty much suffered every debasement a former name could go through.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

It’s not the content that has killed journalism, it’s management getting MBA Brain and ripping out brand cachet and future earnings for profits this quarter. Same as just about every other business that’s not a Wall Street bank or Walmart.

With a little vision SI could have become what The Athletic is now. Or at least it could have lived a little longer until the illiterate percentage of the population hits critical mass and kills all journalism.

Oh I get it, and I think it's a plague, hell look at what MBA's have done to loving Boeing.

Like you know we're just straight ripping the copper out of the walls and letting it all fall apart when the defense contractor and builder of most of the planes is doing cost cutting poo poo on everything it can and just having planes fall apart.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I haven't seen any of the show, but the list of clip titles upon typing "Reacher" into youtube is amazing.

Can a biker gang handle Jack Reacher?

Jack Reacher prison fight

Jack Reacher DESTROYS a child hijacker

Jack Reacher vs Dog abuser

Jack Reacher absolutely destroys a wannabe gangster

Young Reacher doesn't apologize to bully's parents

This might be the most "this is what conservatives actually believe" piece of media since the first Taken movie. Has Jack Reacher defeated MS-13 yet? Can he personally stop Black Blackwater?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nice

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rest in Piss

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

More like Suck-a-lot of cock!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I drink very rarely, but I also just pass out when I do, so it's not much fun, though it happens so fast I've also never managed to last long enough to get a hangover.

Last time I drank was when Kissinger died

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I have definitely watched all of that. Really sticks with you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My AP World History class ended at Franz Ferdinand. The AP test was… an adventure.

Mine covered only European history, but I pulled a 4 due to my incredible powers of bullshit and incredibly western focused test writers :v:

LeeMajors posted:

A World Undone is a really great and engaging book for anyone who wants a great primer on the events leading to and unfolding during the Great War.

Seconding, great book.

Also if you want a fun watch, the great war channel ran a series of weekly 10-15 minute videos covering the events of WW1 by the week that ran for 5 years. I don't recall anything terribly racist or problematic outside of him mis-pronouncing way less stuff then I do, and occasionally quoting weepy poetry about how pointless war is

https://www.youtube.com/@TheGreatWar/playlists

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 24, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some good cringe content coming from the Athletics relocation conference:

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238352379666434

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, turns out the problem was Mark Wahlberg.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So uh, Vince McMahon has a whole bunch of new accusations coming on the back of that netflix deal

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1750574320336748768

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I played a ton of the recent civ games, but they've never come close to getting naval ai working properly, so you can win on the highest difficulty just by playing an islands map and loading up on archers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"I don't play those games as much as I used to" I say to myself

Checks steam

Civ 6: 200 hours
Civ 5: 300 hours
Civ: Beyond Earth: 25 hours.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1750877366509883464

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

T-Square posted:

Post the Artisinal Board Games

I think I can put together a 5P board game group (GF and some of her D&D nerd friends) and I think I wanna get Moonrakers because it looks like a fun space game with player interaction, but it’s a Kickstarter game that I haven’t heard talked about out over in TG

Moonrakers is fantastic, one of our group's favorite faster games. Way it works is on each player's turn, they have to pick a contract that has a bunch of card requirements and rewards points, money and sometimes cards. But are mostly too difficult to do solo, so you need to find people to help you for a cut of the profits. You then turn around and buy better cards / ship parts with your profits, and it's a race to 10 points. Great, great game. There's also a couple expansions that do things like give you an extra benefit for teaming up with people and a very degenerate expansion that introduces way more upgraded cards as well as new mission types. I love that last one, but it lets the game get very silly towards the end as you can like burn through 30 cards by yourself no problem soloing the hardest contracts, which does help the "no one will help the dude who needs 2 points to win" drag the game can have. Fully recommend the base game to start, it's pretty great right out of the box

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I recently got Divinity Original Sin: The Board Game, which I apparently kickstarted back in 2018 and showed up a bit over a month ago, so our group started cranking through that as a legacy game. It's pretty neat and I think they did a solid job converting that into a board game, and it's really fun having a solid idea of where everything's gonna go and just letting the others who haven't played it just make all the choices.

The guy whose house we play at compiled a list and he has... 24 games he kickstarted that are supposed to come in still.

We have so many games that have never hit the table, SMH.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Awh poo poo, who's up for a game of Brass Birmingham?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

It is not fair that I have to work instead of playing Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Picked it up yesterday, played for 2 hours and think I touched the controller for maybe 5 minutes total of that. Spent like a half hour hearing 3 middle aged dudes discuss how to talk to women. A+ game.

Spent that entire bit thinking of this one:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Game rules, can't wait to unlock the Animal Crossing mode.

Pretty useful edit in the replies:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I fell into a hole of forgotten tv show intros and I just need to post this one that is very clearly ripping off Freaky Friday. I get why the guy did it, he had nothing really going on, but Sharon Gless had skins on the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGW2Cku5AA

This is from the great year of 1979, when NBC greenlit everything they could get their hands on and premiered and killed a couple dozen shows including 3 separate Animal House ripoffs, Delta House (official), Brothers & Sisters and Co-Ed Fever, which was mercy-flushed after 1 episode because... jesus just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhnSvmLOd3Y

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

As for the first one, I can only imagine how that show went in the 70's

It went for 7 episodes, with summaries like:

quote:

Sam and Penny prepare to participate in a charity touch football game, only Sam is now the cheerleader and Penny is the quarterback and neither has a clue on how to perform the other's role!

Sam is invited to a fraternity reunion, and the wives are not invited. Too bad Penny is now occupying Sam's body and is the one to get the news! So they both return to Sam's old college for a wild reunion.

.... and of course, jesus christ:

Penny informs Sam that her former body's "monthly visitor" is late; Sam goes to the gynecologist to find out if "he's" going to become a mother.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lol,

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1752455348106166598

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nothing, it's fake. It's about as real as when he had a dude dress up and pretend to be a robot years ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

The two Ogre heads yelling at each was the best sound byte in the game

This way no that way

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Back in that era I was visiting Hong Kong yearly and buying tons and tons of bootleg game CD's and I remember this one RTS I've never been able to find anything out about, I suspect the game was never released.

There were 4 factions, kinda starcraft style gameplay, one of which were fully plant units and another that were these weird salamandar monk looking guys with psionic powers. Game was really neat but would inevitably crash after like 20 minutes.

I probably enjoyed Total Annihilation the most out of RTS's. Just building gigantic defense networks and watching the AI throw endless numbers of enemies at it. Just fun to watch. Terribly balanced and so many utterly useless units, but man they were cool, no matter how long it took them to setup, start launching the slowest, inaccurate projectiles imaginable.

trevorreznik posted:

It's a lot of fun. I watched most of it a few months ago after powering through a pretty rough Park Chan-Wook (lady vengeance) and needed something pleasant and familiar. Just kept watching more and more scenes in it.

That list is in ranked order so it's really weird they dropped the ball on that specific movie.

Man, I love Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The scene with the parents and the videos is one of the most intense scenes I've sat through in any movie

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Now Populous, that's a proto-RTS with some hair on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

trevorreznik posted:

I have a 7 year old and could barely get through it. Sometimes Korean culture mystifies me, especially their love of dead kids in cinema.

It's an amazing bit, though it took me a rewatch to go... wait a minute, how do you get kids to act in a scene like that? and so believably.