Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hey everyone who shared ToTK tips with me in the last thread (many months back):

Thank you!

Still haven’t played nearly as much as I’d like to, but I’ve beaten three of the dungeons now and it is the best game I’ve ever played :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is something wrong with iOS awful app?
  • App won't refresh the threadlist when I'm in subforums.
  • App won't load text when I click on threads. It just stays black.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

Have you asked around in the Awful iOS App thread?

FWIW I'm not seeing any issues on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Shindragon posted:

same no problems for me on my iphone

No idea why, but the problem resolved itself this evening :shrug:

Thank you for the replies!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi TFF Friends,

Selling a gaming mouse. Posting here before SA-Mart if it comes to that.
TLDR: Friends went in on presents together to help me improve my gaming situation. They wanted to get me wireless gaming equipment but someone ordered the wrong Razer mouse. This Basilisk ultimate doesn't have qi wireless charging. Otherwise it's rad!

Asking for $100.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

harperdc posted:

*puts on Fun Police mod hat*

FYI - the strong preference is for anything sold this way on SA to go through SA-Mart. I appreciate trying to do mate's rates for somebody in here who may need it, but SA-Mart is the proper dedicated space for that.

Gotcha, I will do the post there. Thank you for letting me know!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fritha sounds like a good dog

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I murder countless victims every time I fire up <insert your fave multiplayer video game>

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Took Fritha out for a walk since I knew she'd need to poop before the snow hits. She's bundled up in a nice dog jacket, her doggles & earpro. She also decided to drink water from nearby puddles and now is vomiting on the living room carpet.

At least she's doing it next to the sliding door so I can let her out immediately.

Exquisite cosplay of Diamond Dog

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Comrades, I have work to do and errands to do and exercise. But I’m so tired and just wanna be a big warm cinnamon bun…

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Do you folks love or hate when video games have long cutscenes?

I love those 4 hour long nonsensical Kojima cutscene.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

Final Fantasy 14 has a thing where if there is going to be a lot of cut scenes, when you start the quest it will pop up a box that says yo it's gonna be awhile last chance to finish stuff or eat or go to the bathroom.

FF14 players have been trained to cower in fear when that drat box and dialogue shows up because whenever it does things get fuckin real, and will probably emotionally devastate you

In conclusion, Yoship is a monster and must be stopped

IMHO that is an honorable feature, thank you video game makers

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Freaquency posted:

Fellas, is it gay to love and respect your wife :thunk:

Yes

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I express concerns, criticisms, and curiosities, about my significant other exclusively to my professional therapist.

Maybe I’m just built different, ford tough

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Actually I also have mature and respectful communications with my significant other about possible sources of tension so that we can take a collaborative solution-oriented approach based on mutual respect and compassion.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GD_American posted:

Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

oh my heart

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lookit dis Good Boy

I am lookitin as hard as I can

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Got a job interview for a Customer Success Manager position with an Australian tech company. It's remote work too. I don't hate my current job but I'm applying on the off chance the office Christmas parties are mandatory events in Australia....

I thought you did gis???

Congratulations!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Midlife ennui is cured by political volunteerism and/or petting animals.

I’m thinking about Dave Growl.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A friend shared that their therapist told them that “feelings and thoughts after <x pm> aren’t real”. The notion being that when we are tired we often have anxious or unhelpful thoughts.

Single best thing for mental health is our human connections. But good sleep habits are up there too.

But don’t take my word for it, I’m just a shitposter who loves a great rear end!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m also thinking about Molly, Ehud’s dog agility wunderpup.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fartknocker posted:

Just got told at work I’m being switched from salary back to hourly and I’m loving pissed off. Same pay rate, but now instead of getting all my PTO on my date of hire, it accrues every paycheck, which means come March when I hit my 3 years with the company, instead of getting all 80 hours of PTO back for the next year, I’ll have at best like 18~ hours. It’s all our new loving manager and I can’t wait to either transfer to another department or just quit this loving place (The latter becoming the more likely/attractive offer by the day - I’ve started putting in elsewhere but I’ve got enough saved up I can just leave if I wanted to, but I’d rather have something else lined up).

I hate that kind of poo poo!!! Gahhhh gently caress that manager.

What’s the level of difficulty of transferring to a different team/department?

How’s your industry looking? Stable enough that getting into a different company should be relatively accessible?

I keep seeing headlines about some tech companies slowing down hiring but idk if that’s true or just clickbaity headlines. Other industries like accounting, oil&gas, insurance, etc., seem to be doing alright.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How many of you make $200k or more?

To IT goons, how much do you make and how much does IT pay? Most of the IT folks I know have a wide range of incomes and work titles that seem almost completely unrelated to the scope and difficulty of their work responsibilities.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ether Frenzy posted:

No IT people I know make $200k, unless they're heavily into network security.

IT meaning "the people who do hands-on setup of Hardware" as opposed to people in Engineering, which probably takes Senior Engineer II and above (or like Senior Product Director) to get close to that. Engineers do far less work than product managers.

I work at a company that is heavily reliant on tech but is not traditionally a "Tech" company aside from all the weird perks they offer us. We had daily Juicero deliveries for 2+ years!

Oh okay then yes maybe I just don’t know what IT is in this brave new world. One of the people is basically on call 24/7 like that other goon said and they do some hardware fixing but mainly software fixing and they make good money. But I wish that they had more free time :(

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not sure how an IT role is defined because I am not a computer person, but I would guess 75% of computer people in the bay area older than 25 make something around that. I guess the contract employee at a company that plugs in HDMI cables probably does not make 200k.

I’m in the metro area of seattle so I think that’s a significant reason why the salaries are so high for many of the IT/systems support folks I know

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got a Herman Miller embody last year during their big sale.

Idk what it is but even with my adjustable height desk, mouse wrist cushion, I just cannot seem to get comfy in an ergonomic work position!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Any of y’all use marijuana gummies to help get to bed?

Do you feel rested afterwards or is it a sleep that doesn’t actually get you energized?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yes and yes, though fairly low dose ones and as mentioned taking it two hours before bed helps. Honestly at this point they’ve become associated enough in my brain that I take one and I get sleepy regardless of what time of day it is, not something that I can do easily take recreationally anymore

I need to start doing this.

You got a brand / dosage amount that work well for you?

I think the responsible thing for me to do is start with enough cbd to kill an elephant.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

T-Square posted:

PROS: I lent my friend my copy of BotW a few months ago and he loved it so much he went out and bought TotK and tore through it. He returned BotW to me over the weekend and sent along TotK with it.

CONS: I don’t wanna do work today all I wanna do is play more TotK this poo poo has hooked me in exactly the same way BotW did when I played it the first time and I couldn’t be happier

I think it might be my fave game of all time, op.

I still haven’t beat it. Still got the fourth temple to go.

Have barely explored sky and depths.

Must take a weekend or leave so that I may game.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi Cricket

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shrimpy posted:

If you’re planning on flying out of SeaTac, get Clear + PreCheck because I’ve never seen an airport be as bad at pure Pre-Check as that one.

It freaking sucks the lines are forever. Pre-check is barely an advantage at all!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tried CBD gummies tonight to help me sleep. It was aight but I still couldn’t fall asleep.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Sleep chat

Disclaimer: talk to your pcp for insomnia and try to get a referral to a sleep certified doctor if it’s bad enough.

My first supervising physician was sleep medicine certified and I saw all of his patients after they established with him. I’ve treated a LOT of insomnia.

Insomnia is very common in men and women as they approach their late thirties/early forties. For men; this is generally an age of behavioral transition. This means that a lot of the things they have always done are starting to be more than they can compensate for. This isn’t just in sleep, as I’m sure all of us understand. We simply become much more sensitive to the things that can keep us awake.

BASICS

Generally speaking, the most important things for good sleep quality are

1. Minimize stimulants after 3 pm - we can’t consume caffeine (or alcohol but more on that later) like we could when we were younger. It just doesn’t clear like it used to. Also the effects of caffeine become less noticeable as we age, which leads to us needing more to get the same effect.

2. No screens 30-60 minutes prior to lying down for sleep. Light is very stimulating for the brain. It tells us to get up and go farm or whatever. We don’t want to lie down and wait to get to sleep. You should be ready to fall asleep when you lie down. Average time for sleep initiation is 4-6 minutes. If you’re lying in bed for 45 minutes, you were probably looking at your phone as you walked into the bedroom.

3. Exercise. Your body needs a reason to go to sleep.

4. Regular schedule/routine. Go to bed every night at the same time, wake up every day at the same time. People will bitch that they can’t sleep in anymore as they get older, but this is a good thing!

5. Cool, dark room. A cool dark room!

6. Minimize napping - daytime hypersomnia is often a symptom of sleep problems. Try to minimize napping if at all possible.

ANXIETY

do you wake up at 2-3am every single morning (on nights you haven’t drank) completely wide awake? Or do you lie in bed “unable to turn your brain off?” This is anxiety Every. Single. Time. You are either thinking of something that happened or something you’re going to have to do. Without going down a psych rabbit hole, there are a few easy ways to address this.

1. Journal before bed. This will help you organize your thoughts and plan your day. Journaling has been shown to help sleep quality and get people into deeper, more restorative sleep.

2. Pet a dog/cat. It releases serotonin which can help with sleep initiation.

3. Look at a fire. I’m serious. We spent two million years of evolution ending the day by looking at a fire. It calms us. I have no proof of this but I’ve recommended this several times and patients have said it works. Also if you want the best comedown from shrooms in your life, watch a fire and listen to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRTHbtlLFc

SUPPLEMENTS

As always talk to your pcp about starting supplements, because there are some things like St. John’s wort that can literally kill you if taken with other medications.

Melatonin: this is very mild stuff and comes in a million formulations. It’s over the counter. In my experience this isn’t very effective for people that aren’t elderly. It’s most useful for stabilizing sleep/wake cycle in patients in long term care settings. But go hog wild. Some people say this gives them vivid dreams, but I never really buy that. People that receive sleep treatment and report crazy dreams are usually just dreaming for the first time in god knows how long. You can’t overdose on this or anything. I don’t recommend it.

Unison: just melatonin and some other bullshit. It’s not very efficacious. I dont recommend it.

Gummies: I don’t have any clinical experience with this. Generally indica is considered more sedating. Indica = in da sheets, sativa = stimulating. Just know that THC is gabenergic, meaning it increases GABA.

GABA is the inhibitory neurotransmitter for glutamate, which is excitatory. As my GABA level increases from meds/alcohol whatever, my body increases glutamate because it doesn’t like that imbalance. As my GABA lvls return to normal, depending on how big a dose or how long I’ve been doing it, my glutamate lvls will lag behind.

In the short term, if something is wearing off at 3 in the morning, this will wake me up. Ever had a big night drinking and wake up at 2-3 in the morning, wide awake, sweating, heart beating? That’s elevated glutamate levels.

This is the same mechanism of action that causes alcohol withdrawl seizures. So ymmv. THC has been proven time and time again not to be addictive so go hog wild if you don’t have a history of psychosis. Be very careful where you get it from as there is very little quality control. Don’t buy drugs from the gas station.

NARCOTICS

I’m not going to go into them here because I don’t want anyone to think I’m giving out narcotic advice unsolicited. Generally, drugs like ambien or lunesta are very similar to benzos. For example 10 mg of ambien is essentially 1 mg of Xanax. You do not want to start taking these if you don’t have to. They should always be last line. These should not be prescribed for sleep or long term out of a PCP office. TCAs also go here. No goon is willing to give up smoked meats and cheeses.

DRUGS

Just a couple mild ones that are fine to get from your pcp if they think it’s appropriate.

Trazodone - very mild. Serotonergic. This will not make you tired. This med only helps with initiation. You have to take this and lie down and be ready for sleep. No one ever tells patients this (or knows) and they end up taking like 200 mg at 7 pm and not go to sleep at 10.

Gabapentin - Put it in the drinking water. Non habit forming. Easy up easy down. Effective at low doses. Lasts six hours. Good for anxiety, restlessness, people that toss and turn in their sleep. Does not interact with any other medication. No real contraindication unless you’re in kidney failure, and even then nephrology is getting overruled (they always do). Generic so it’s cheap as poo poo. If gabapentin was invented today it’d cost 1000 dollars a pill, just like aspirin. Occasionally someone will say it makes their feet swell.

DO NOT DO THIS

Drink Benadryl/Easy sleep/nyquil - addictive as poo poo. You don’t want to get addicted to these. Plus, antihistamine withdrawl can give you Parkinsonisms short to medium term.

Drink alcohol - if you’re drinking to go to sleep, we have a problem. If you’re waking up and have to drink to go to sleep, please DM me.

Smoke cigarettes - Jesus goddamn Christ

Not wear your CPAP - WEAR YOUR GODDAMN CPAP

do that weird thing where you only sleep 90 minutes at a time 4 times a day. We evolved to wake up with the sun, sleep with the moon. This is bullshit.

So yeah; that’s my posting between workout sets effort post. Sleep well goons! DM me with any questions.

And as always, ask your PCP before starting a medication/treatment regimen.

Sleep is good and this advice is good.

Been challenging consistently implementing this into my life.

I had a sleep mental therapist for a bit too. Some of those mindful recordings to focus thoughts can help, but it’s also kind of weird to listen too when I’m with my significant other.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve been doing dry January - haven’t had a drink since the 1st. That’s probably the longest I’ve ever gone since I started drinking. Maybe when I had covid for so long but I can’t remember.

I have never slept better and it’s made me entirely rethink the way I drink. I’m not gonna go completely sober but I will absolutely be changing the frequency and amounts I drink when I do.

I’ve also lost like 10lbs which is nice

Yeah not drinking booze is nice.

I’ve been mainly booze free since a bit before Covid. I get fun-party-drunk maybe 1x-3x a year. Get a bit buzzed maybe 3-6x a year. Other than that it is maybe a glass of wine on fancy date nights.

It’s so much better for long term health.

The problem of course is that sobriety is boring as gently caress.

https://youtu.be/1Pini3MRjE0?si=oiHRJtp9m3Xq66PF

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also booze-free drinks are becoming popular around here and I’m glad the product exists for those who want it, but lol

I’m not drinking beer without alcohol lol. “Why yes I do want all the carbs of a loaf of bread in a disgusting liquid. What a deal!!!”

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I drink the gently caress out of seltzers and like cranberry w seltzer since I quit drinking but a decent NA beer does scratch that post-bike ride or football game beer itch pretty well. And it’s nice to just have one.

Comrade, extremely same. I drink many many fizzy waters like La Croix (and the Costco equivalent of course).

Love the fizz.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I didn’t feel safe in combat until I had like 7 extra hearts and a set of double upgraded armor.

Early ToTK is scary.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tricky Ed posted:

My partner was out of the country without a TV last weekend so we're watching the replays I recorded.

Behold my spoiler defender! It's a notepad and a chip clip.

That is a thoughtful act.

Love when StarCraft tournament replays are embedded on sites that block out the time.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My fave social media trend is content creators doing DIYs or remodeling projects where they brag about how little it cost and you the viewer can do it too!!! Only $120 in materials!!! <shocked YouTube face>

And then it turns out they have tens of thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment in a personal garage-turned-wood-shop.

Cool, very DIY, thanks. Liked and subscribed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I just rewatched season 1 and enjoyed True Detective :)

Haven’t watched the Alaska one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I still hold the stance that Season 2 of True Detective had the unfortunate luck of following a masterpiece that was Season 1. Season 3 was an improvement but honestly I don't remember much of it just like Detective Wayne Hays.

Yeah I rewatched season 2 a few years ago and it’s a lot better than I remembered after my initial watch. I found it useful when you can go from episode to episode rather than waiting a week.

The main issues to me for season 2:
  • Too many main characters. Should have just cut bike cop dude.
  • Pacing was way too slow at the start.
  • The direction for every character’s delivery was mumble core madness. Inexplicably awful.