Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I think 2024 is going to bring lots of lols from the Trump trials, and I’m going to try to learn a lot more things in all different categories, karaoke songs, language skills, and basic dance steps since my feet coordination is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
All lurkers feel free to post and make LeeMajors less self-conscious about his 86 posts/day 2023 spree

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah. God knows I'd kill for the Panthers to be even sniffing the kind of stability Tomlin brings to the table right now, but the Steelers are clearly in need of a change. Whether that's at HC or elsewhere, they need to reevaluate something that they're doing, because whatever it is ain't it

Overdrafting Pickett and backing him up with cafeteria trash was probably part of it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Dr. Duran Duran thanks you

Dr. Durand Durand :eng101:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Three Thousand Years of Longing was panned but I haven't seen it.

Weirdly enough I saw Babe in the theaters but completely missed Babe: Pig in the City.

I should rectify that.

I loving loved TTYoL.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I represented a murderer, post-trial, post-appeal, pre-resentencing. He was 18 and had just become an Eagle Scout when he tried to impress some friends by helping them rob a taxi driver, but then shot the guy in the back of the head afterwards for no discernible reason. The friends flipped on him, his own parents were basically forced to testify against him, just all around lovely situation.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

High of 86 here, but it might drop down to 78.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

‘s a good lookin dog right there

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yep. Do you have any goals, long term or short term? They don’t have to be objectively important. Just important to you. Or any art that you want to practice?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Performance plans and self-reviews an all that poo poo are the best use of AI. Or at least rampant plagiarism.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Pressure cooker/One-pot is a godsend for making Indian recipes.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We watched the entire Ken Burns Civil War documentary. There's a lot of it.

For the WWI section, our teacher had us play a modified game of Diplomacy, which was an interesting exercise. Basically assigned groups of 1-3 people to a European country, which had a point value, and then the challenge was to get a coalition to a certain threshold; allowed whatever means necessary to get people/groups on your side, outside of physical violence. There was some good back-and-forth backstabbery, wish I could remember what the end result was.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

It tested better than the gom jabbar bucket

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

harperdc posted:

I only get the rare piece of spam (usually trying to trick me into “checking the status of a package”). It’s nice to live in a country where you aren’t allowed to contact voters by text message. Or TV ads, now that I think of it.

These things are why I told my friend he was crazy when he suggested the vans with loudspeakers that are allowed here were more annoying. Nah man, they drive on by. I think he underestimated how bad it’s gotten in the U.S.

I try to tell people that Guam becoming a state would be a poo poo thing, if nothing else than for the absolute chaos that two senate seats with a population of 160k and a political pendulum that swings like a metronome at 200bpm would bring to every individual.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know this is pipe dream stuff, but the only way I see state hood happening for Guam, or any of the other Pacific Ocean territories, is them joining Hawaii. Even if they combined Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands into one state, you're still only looking at like 250,000 people total, less than half of Wyoming, and separated by 1,000 miles of ocean.

Funny trivia, sort of: Guam's residents only became US citizens back in 1950 because the Navy found out it was a violation of international law to forcefully seize land from non-citizens, and they needed to grab a lot of it post WWII for their bases/facilities.

Guam's Commission on Decolonization, which was set up back in the 90's to figure out the statehood/status quo/independence question, is still no closer to having an actual vote than it was thirty years ago. Stapling the CNMI and Am. Samoa together with Guam would be a logistical nightmare.

Look at the distance from Guam/CNMI to American Samoa. Look at it. Now realize that you're likely looking at a map and not a globe, and figure in that traveling along the equator is something that adds time to any trip. And that's if you have a direct flight, which we do not, and would likely not have in the forseeable future. Not even going to touch the whole 'massively different culture' part of the issue.

Honestly the best way to go about it would be to invent a new classification, like 'principality' or some poo poo, where the current non-voting delegate to hte House becomes a voting delegate, and each territory gets 1 electoral college vote.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

I just sold my spec script of a Sandra Bullock romcom based on the premise of meeting the wrong guy on a blind date because there were two restaurants named the same thing and one of them doesn't get that joke because they also have not seen Chinatown, like me. This leads to all sorts of adventures

We had a weird IRL version of this, where we were living with a roommate named Paul who did couch surfing; he gets a text one day from our mutual friend in the Northern Marianas Islands, Keith, who says he's currently hosting an Icelandic woman who happens to be staying with Paul (us) the next day, as she is trying to visit every country in the world, and asks if Paul is going to pick her up from the airport at 6PM. Paul, who can be absentminded on the best of days, agrees, despite not remembering to host anyone that week.

He brings her home, we all go out for drinks and dinner, have a wonderful time. The next morning, she gets an angry text from a guy named Paul who was the actual guy she was supposed to be couch surfing with. Apologies go all around, she heads out to have lunch with Actual Paul, but it turns out he's a complete dickhead, so she stays with us for the next few days.

So now if we ever go to Iceland, we know someone who runs a yoga/horse riding retreat, so we got that going for us. She did make it to every country in the world, too.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I used to have the Phenocryst chamber theme from Torin's Passage as my tone, but that was two phones ago, and it's just not worth the effort to try to put it back on now.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

a sexual elk posted:

And forgot how bad BL3 split screen is, I can’t see poo poo and the UI is tiiiiiny

Talk to Lilith

I think BL3 was the last game I preordered, and will likely be the last game I ever preorder. I don't think I played it more than 30 minutes.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I was a math whiz as a kid, perfects on SAT/ACT math, 5 on the AP Calc exam, and then hit some major wall in college Calc 2 or 3, whatever the one is that just has you solving derivatives like some f'ed up combination lock that maybe opens and maybe doesn't, at least in the first go-around. The only exam in my life that I'm pretty sure I failed, despite having a A-/B+ going into that final, ending up with a C, just couldn't get any of the equations to click on the first try. Probably didn't help that the TA teaching the class openly despised everyone in it. I had a major crush on one of my classmates, who I tutored, and who ended up with a far better grade than I did. She went on to become a dentist, and her husband became a partner in her dad's law firm. I saw them randomly in Hawaii when visiting my dad at his last dental conference.

That grade, combined with difficulty w redox reactions, is why I went from premed to prelaw.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait you’re a lawyer who had a dentist for a dad? Lmao are you me?

Did your dad try to repeatedly get you to take over the practice?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

If I had a nickel for every time…

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm usually the only one in the house to touch the dishwasher, and the utensils go in downwards so that I can grab them wholesale when removing them and not have to worry about a knife blade I didn't see.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've been reading The Tale of Genji again for reasons and I've got a book about the Ottoman's lined up next. I've got Shogun on hold but I'm like 58th in line for the ebook so it'll probably be a while.

There’s a line for an ebook?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

bobjr posted:

It would kind of be funny to see a truly rigged game and how fast it would fall apart because it’s requiring 100’s of people to play along convincingly with a fake act

It’d fall apart in one drive.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Anyone here use FUBO tv and have an opinion on it? I'm ditching cable and going Starlink, looking for iptv that has DVR capabilities that doesn't suck, and this so far seems like the leader.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

edit: butts.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 14, 2024

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Two of my close friends just got MCL tears about a week apart while snowboarding at the same resort. Glad I skipped this year.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Despite heavy running and hill climbing four days a week, my quads get toasted by snowboarding. Probably doesn't help that I'm newer to boarding, and skiied for 10+ years before switching over. If I'm doing a multi-day thing, there's significant tail-off by the end, with some of my last runs ending with my thighs quaking. Having an arch spur right where the boot strap comes over the top doesn't help things either.

Still infinitely better than trying to walk around in ski boots carrying four pieces of equipment versus one in snowboarding boots.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yeah, my iOS shortcut for posting pics isn't working anymore, and I'm not technically literate enough to do a workaround.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I get a fail on the upload part of the equation, unfortunately

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Weird. Are you logged onto Imgur through Safari?

Worked for this pic but not the one I was trying for, but yeah the login helped. I had it logged through the app but not Safari.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Well the cat pics work but the archaeological pics don’t. So here’s more cats.

This is Bitty, she is the world’s most adorable cat.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

She was sooooo tiny as a kitten

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Like microscopic

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Quadruple posting, but now she is our fiercest hunter, more so than our two boys who are more than twice her size.

Hunting a moth

yes that’s a Packers collar

edit: second cat is Meowsdower

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 23, 2024

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Still can’t get the ruins pics to work but here’s a fun waterfall me and my buddy hiked to a few months back.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

And one of Ninja, one of our big boys

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I’ve bounced off of Rdr2. Partway through chap. 2, just not getting the groove. I feel bad about it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Going on a party boat for my birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Birthday boat was a success