Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Getting in on the first page of 2024. Happy new year goons.

I predict massive anxiety levels sometime in November. If the Cubs are in the World Series again, I promise to hope they lose this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My perspective must be skewed because I feel like I don’t post that much, but I’m third in posts. Maybe it’s because 90% of my posts in the whole forums are probably in this thread.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Happy New Year everyone. It’s the first year of grad school for me. It’s gonna suck but maybe I’ll make, well….not *great* money, I’m going for a MSW, but, well, *good* money in a few years.

The kind of money a girl needs to buy fun food and candles and incense and her own place finally!

My wife has one more semester to go to get her MSW. She’s enjoyed it even if trying to work and go to school and parent is pretty draining on both of us. At least this last year she was able to quit her job so it hasn’t been as bad. Good luck!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Happy New Year, TFF chat peeps! I went to my cousins' house and we watched LOTR: The Two Towers (extended edition of course), and timed it for Theoden to say "So it begins" at midnight - we ended up being one second early, I'll take it.

Gonna have some fairly major news a week from today.

You have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dr_Strangelove posted:

My current objective is to make it to Dune Part Two, nothing else

I also would like to live long enough to see Dune 2.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nervous posted:

Chalk another one up for father time, got my grandma this morning at the age of 92 :(. She'd been in decline for a while, so it wasn't a surprise.

Ah sorry man.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nervous posted:

I used to get anxiety about posting. What if it's not good/funny/interesting/sexy enough?

I think 3/4 of my posts get ignored. I’ve come to terms with not being funny on the internet. I’m usually funnier in real life.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Sorry I missed you in last nights drunk soppy poo poo but you and Brax seem like super cool parents, I had mine late (7 and 3 now at 38) but I really enjoy you guys’ family posting. Me and the wife come from homes where our parents split early in our lives so we’re just kinda figuring it out as we go along. You two give me a goal I want to achieve

gently caress, if you had yours late, I'm ancient. I have a 4 year old and I'm 42. Figuring it out as you go is parenting 101 I think. We're having some real struggles with our kid right now. He gets frustrated super easily, and when that happens he starts yelling and screaming immediately. The hardest part is keeping calm when you have a tiny human screaming at you. I'm trying to be better at talking in a calm voice in response, but that doesn't always happen. The other hard thing is that he's an only child, so he always wants to play with us, and sometimes I just don't have the energy for play time. We really got to get him some more friends to hang out with.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I will say that my daughter’s friend got pregnant and had a kid at 15 or 16. I understand feeling old as a parent but having a kid that young in today’s times blows my mind. I don’t know how she does it.

My sister-in-law was pregnant in high school and gave birth like a month after she graduated. She then had two more kids about 2 years apart. So by 23 she had 3 kids. I didn't meet them until her first kid was 8, but all I know is that they struggled hard financially for many years until her husband was able to land a better paying job through a career change into IT and some family connections. My wife's family isn't well off, so both parents essentially worked their butts off, and relied on grandparents to watch the kids a lot. They also moved to the far out suburbs to get cheap housing, but it meant long commutes. Essentially it has sucked for a long time, and now that the oldest is off to college, my SIL is starting to get anxious about an empty house. Her kids have been her entire adult life, she doesn't have a ton of friends, and never had time to develop hobbies or interests. It will be really interesting in about 5 years if all the kids are out of the house.

E: I think with all things parenting is that no matter what, you figure something out because you don't have much of a choice. The lucky ones lean on family a lot, the unlucky ones go broke paying for childcare, and the really unlucky ones end up homeless or lose their kids to the state all together. I'm sure we have a few people in this thread who could go into that, but I don't think we all need to get depressed this early into the new year. I know if my kid became a dad at 16 I'd essentially end up taking on about half the role of fathering the child to try to let my kid still focus on school, graduate, and then get a job. I sure as hell wouldn't like it, but it's not like I'd have a lot of choice in the matter, and I'd rather do that then watch my kid drop out.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 2, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I read and cherish every one of your posts, Bird.

I'm nearly 49, no kids, we kind of talked about "hey it's too late now right" a year ago just as our final check-in that we did all along of "still don't want kids, right?" I never got snipped so it was always an option if we changed our minds, and it feels very strange having sort of slid past that fuzzy deadline now, and with my mom's passing I've got those thoughts like, who is gonna take care of us when we're old, when we go is anyone going to remember us, sorta thing. I wouldn't call it regrets, but I spend some time thinking about alternative lives I might have led. What if I'd pursued my interest in archaeology instead of being a technical writer? What if we'd bought a different house instead of this one 14 years ago? What if I'd pushed myself to write fiction?

But in the new year I think a new years' resolution for me is to focus on the future more, and less on the past. There's no kids, ok, that's the decision we made in our 20s and 30s and now we live with that and do whatever we want to do this year. I think we might take a trip to go visit our friends in Sweden.

Thanks Leper. Focusing on the future more is something I should do too. I really really really dwell on past decisions, and it's not good for my mental health. I think most of my adult life I look back on decisions I made (or didn't make) and how I feel my life would've been better if I had done something different, and I really have no clue if things would've been better. Ultimately, I think it comes from feeling unsatisfied with my current life. If I look towards the future more, I think it will help with my attitude.

Not to keep hammering on the parenting thing, but my wife and I talked about it last night and I realized I really need to have a better attitude with parenting. I've been treating it like a chore, and I need to stop doing that because it just makes the whole thing even more miserable. My new year's resolution is to just be more active with my son, and to stop being such a mope about the things I can't do because parenting takes up all my time. I can't undue being a parent, so I need to stop worrying about it. My wife realized she needs to do the same, although I think it may be harder for her.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

I'm in a pretty big crisis because I'm 34, I want to have kids, but even if I met someone today it would probably be another 2 years at least before we have them.

And on an ethical level I just don't know if I could bring them into a world that will almost certainly see the collapse of civilization and all the horrors it will bring within their lifetime.

Let me tell you, it takes a considerable amount of effort to repress these feelings about the child I already brought into this world. I really hope things don't absolutely suck for them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Has there ever been a parent who said “yeah my kid is loving dumb”

Yea sometimes. I also try to remember that he's just 4, and sometimes you have to repeat things 100 times before they get it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Freaquency posted:

What kind of monster lacks the restraint to avoid watching a series you’re sharing together?

My wife is absolutely terrible about sitting down and watching a show, and sometimes I just want to see what happens already!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

US was good but it had so many stupid plot holes that kinda took me out of it. Fun horror movie at times though.

You definitely need to not think too hard about it. I found it fun too. I really need to see Nope, I don't think it's on any of the streaming services I have though. Might have to rent it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

fartknocker posted:

I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.

Here is Bird in a Blender's unofficial guide to Cleveland:

First, the Rock Hall is fine to visit once, but it's a little overpriced, and it's mostly memorabilia. So if you're into that, it's pretty cool. In my opinion, it's nice to do once and never bother again, although they are expanding soon.

Free things to do in Cleveland:
The Cleveland Museum of Art is nice, not usually crowded, and a decent size, but not huge. You can see most of it in a couple of hours, and they do have some nice collections and I think at least one special exhibit going on. Very nice building.
Lake View Cemetery is close to the Museum of Art. Lots of old rich people buried here with some impressive head stones. President Garfield and his wife are buried here as well, but it looks like the monument is temporarily closed. You can drive through or take a walk.
Westside Market is a large market with tons of food purveyors. It's a very nice big open building and there's a mix of things like butchers, European import places, restaurants, and a big produce only building. Good for a stroll around, or you can pick up some snacks or lunch.
You can also drive by the Christmas Story House. You can go in too, but I don't think it's worth it. This is the house that was used for all the exterior shots, but they renovated the inside to make it look like the actual house. Lots of exterior shots were done in Cleveland, like in Public Square.

Food and drink- Cleveland has pockets of really busy areas, and then there are kind of large dead zones in between. For beer, I recommend going to Ohio City, which is also where the Westside Market is located. There are a ton of bars and restaurants all clustered around W 25th St. and Lorrain including Great Lakes Brewing. There's also Hansa, a German beer focused brewery, Market Garden, and Nano Brew for brewpubs, plus several other large bars. I liked Nano and Great Lakes the best, Hansa opened right after I moved out, so I don't know how good that is, but the store attached to it was there first and was excellent.

Porco Lounge is a Tiki bar that's pretty good, but kind of all by itself. Personally, I'd stay away from Velvet Tango Room, they have good cocktails, but way overpriced.

For coffee, my wife loved Phoenix Coffee Company, there are a few around the city.

Mitchell's ice cream is the most popular ice cream spot in the city, and it is very good. Mason's Creamery is a small place and a little more experimental, but I didn't think their ice cream was as good as Mitchell's.

Tremont, E. 4th St., and Gordon Square are also good spots with a ton of restaurants. These are my favorite places to eat in no particular order.
Toast - Wine bar with a small selection of good food.
Happy Dog - Hot dog joint and bar, customize your dog anyway you want it. Also has shows on various days.
Prosperity Social Club - Good all around American food.
Citizen Pie - Pizza place with three different locations. The one on E 4th is slices of sicilian style, the other two are Neapolitan style. Very good, my favorite pizza in Cleveland.
Butcher and Brewer - Large place on E. 4th with good beer. Small plate style, so go there and order a bunch of different stuff to share.
Dave's Cosmic Subs - Local sub chain if you want something quick and causal.
Johnny's - There's Johnny's Little Bar, which is around the corner from the main restaurant downtown. The main restaurant is kind of a classic Italian joint, while the Little Bar is more casual with good burgers.
Momocho - Upscale Mexican
Heck's - Good burgers and general American fare.
Slyman's Deli - Classic deli joint with humongous corned beef sandwiches.

Since you're going in winter, this doesn't apply as much, but the county has a string of nice large parks that surround the city, referred to as the Green Belt. Rocky River Reservation, North Chagrin, and Garfield Park are nice. If you're willing to drive a little bit, Cuyahoga Valley National Park is like 45 minutes south of the city and has some nice hiking.

There is also Playhouse Square, which is the second largest theater district in the country after Broadway in NYC. If you'd like to see a show, check out all the theaters and see what they have.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

New one for me today, I’m sitting downstairs at Brak’s work, waiting for her to get done so we can catch our flight, and someone comes in with a live baby pelican in a ream of paper box. I guess it’s wounded? They’re calling LSU, and putting rocks on this box to keep him from leaving.

When they lift the box lid, the pelican is pecking to get out, I say let him out but I’m just a visitor here. :shrug:

Time to go get a fish and really reek some havoc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s a bird in Louisiana, I thought all they had was pelicans.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think the worst I ever did was about 3,500 miles. Chicago to the east tip of Maine and then back via Vermont and Detroit. God that was so much driving. I don’t really mind a good road trip, but that was the most I could stomach.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I fell ice skating 9 days ago, chest has been bothering me a bit so after prompting from a friend and my dad I went to urgent care. I expected a 20 minute appointment where I am told to rest some, had x-rays and I am now draining an IV bag to go get a CT scan. I have 3 broken ribs and based on where they broke they want to make sure my liver is ok. This is much more involved than I anticipated.

drat dude. Sounds like you might have died.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I like putting up the Christmas tree, but there’s definitely a sense of relief when it goes to the mulch pile. I think it’s just all the room I get back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

But didn’t you just move back to Canada? Congrats either way though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Happy birthday SB!

https://youtu.be/jLIOc4MIetk?si=rcpezz0PdSCtgtmm

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Does anyone know like a discord or something that can help me with an excel issue? I have two spreadsheets with a shitton of UPC's in columns. I need to find ones that exist in both spread sheets, and then export the price in a different column from one spreadsheet to the other one.

Don’t know if a discord, but this sounds like something VLOOKUP function could handle.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

IL goon here! Getting ready to stock up for the sweet lil 3 day polar vortex I have. I'm a silly goose with 4 desert cactus plants I'm now moving into a separate room with grow lights and basically boarding up my house so I don't get my pipes frozen.

I don't know how people live in Canada. Alberta especially.

Yea supposed to get 8-12” Friday and Saturday then the temp falls off a cliff. I think I’ll work from home a lot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wandler20 posted:

We're supposed to be below -50 wind chill over the weekend. Not excited for that.

Ahh, past the Celsius intersection. Fun.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Can’t remember if I’ve crowdsourced this in here, but my kid had a class project a while back where everyone is randomly assigned on of the states to do a report on, and she got South Dakota, which has now instilled an interest in her to visit this summer, but not with any more idea of what to actually visit there. Off the top of my head there’s Mt Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, the Corn Palace, and gently caress all else to do. Anybody got some great South Dakota vacation thoughts?

Black Hills is the best part. Badlands NP is fairly close to that plus a missile silo and of course Wall Drug. All that stuff is on the west side of the state. The east side has Sioux Falls I guess? The center of the state is farms farms farms.

You could potentially head up to North Dakota and go to Theodore Roosevelt NP and go to Wyoming to for Devils Tower.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

In July 2016my wife and I drove out to Wisconsin so she could go to a residency (at the Kohler factory in Sheboygan, which is very weird and cool) and we stopped at Badlands in South Dakota for most of a day. I took a bunch of pics. It is a spectacular place to visit. We only went to the scenic overlooks and pull outs and easy pathways, didn't do any real hiking because we didn't have time, so everything below is from very family-friendly spots. I think we got pretty lucky with the wildlife.

Nice pics. Yea the badlands are really cool, but I've never hiked there. Generally I don't think it's great hiking and you have to bring a lot of water because there isn't much water in the park. It's definitely a good day trip, drive through the park kind of place.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kalli posted:

Man the infusion center of a hospital isn't a very cheerful place

Try walking into a senior behavior health ward. Depressing as hell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

My sister got Global Entry and she also got Clear from her AmEx card.

Apparently there's a fair amount of credit cards that offer TSA PreCheck.

Yea I literally just applied for global entry and the capital one card I have is supposed to reimburse me for the cost. I already have precheck, but I’m planning to travel to Canada this summer, so I figured might as well get global entry. Wish I had done this in 2017 when coming back from Martinique.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I vaguely knew a girl in high school who beat her abusive father to death. He was asleep and she beat him with a baseball bat. She was 14 at the time. Luckily, she just got probation and counseling and I remember she came back to school a couple years later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

I went to middle school with one, but she "only" killed her infants over the course of years and drove around with their skeletons in her car trunk

Katie Stockton?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Going to go shovel, take my kid to gym class and then go sledding. Probably going to be crowded because it’s in the 20’s today, but single digits tomorrow, so everyone will be out today.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I feel like I’m destined to die of a heart attack while shoveling. Mostly because I refuse to let other people do it so I’m sure I’ll be 75 and out there shoveling some wet sloppy snow and my heart will give out.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

swickles posted:

One dog hates getting paws wet, but loves running in snow. The other hates the snow but his belly is only like 3 inches off the ground so I don't blame him.

Put a plow on the front of the second dog.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Why do my hands get so cold when playing Crusader Kings 3, is this a physiological stress response?

It’s because your heart is cold from murdering all your relatives.

That or you’re just sitting still for a long time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The occasional venting I think is fine, no person or marriage is perfect and being able to let it out once in a while I think is healthy. Spending hours doing that is excessive though, and especially doing it in front of a stranger is especially odd to me.

Too many people get married just to get married and then proceed to spend decades in a lovely relationship. That or they think complaining about your wife is just what men do or something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

That’s a good looking dog right there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Saw a cool phenomenon this morning. I had a T-shirt inside of some pull over thing and as I pulled the T-shirt out, it created a bunch of static sparks. This in turn lit up the cfl bulb on my night stand. Apparently you can use static electricity to light fluorescent bulbs from even a foot away, pretty cool.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

Life in the south: my kids school has already been closed for tomorrow, not for snow but for cold temperatures. The high is 33 and the low is 20

Chicago cancelled classes because it's supposed to be 0 tomorrow, but we'll probably be back on Wednesday when it gets back to the teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Is it true that you have to make snow days up at the end of the year in May/June?

That sucks rear end lol

If they miss enough of them. My kid’s school calendar has like a week of days in June they use if they close enough times.