Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Happy new year and this year I want to increase my culinary dishes since I didn't do as many as I wanted last year. You are all awesome and glad to share this space with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I am 38 with a 17 year old. I was extremely lucky that my mom didn't work because my ex wife left when our kid was 9 months old. My mom was able to let me pursue jobs that paid the bills and didn't have to fork over a ton in daycare just paying her some cash. I got snipped a couple of years ago because I started dating again after moving to Kentucky and didn't want to have another kid.

I know my kid will always need some kind of help but I've been looking forward to being 41 and being able to travel and do stuff if I want since I didn't have that ability.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

fartknocker posted:

I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.

I did the same trip back in July. I would say if you can swing the rock hall first do it as the Pro Football one is structured and such a great experience that it bothered me how disjointed the rock hall was.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Happy birthday SB! From one Saints fan to another, may we be free of at least Pete's terrible play calling

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Just was in a meeting where one of the two locations I do IT support for is shutting down. The final days will be in June but now I have to see if the plan will be 2 IT techs for one location or if I get to engage in office politics and see what happens.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I use Dove for dry skin shampoo and it worked wonders for me. I had done anything and everything for my flakes and was just about to go get prescription strength stuff when I tried it years ago.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Speaking of Jesus what is with this loving Creed comeback. They were in that unhinged Paramount ad with Tua and Patrick Stewart, then I randomly started hearing them in the grocery store "inoffensive pop music" mix. I hadn't thought about Creed in like 20 years and was very happy to keep it that way

I guess they're doing a reunion tour this year which is unfortunate

my man

Blame the Texas Rangers baseball team. They played Higher and other songs as rallying music and won the world series.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

it was solid meme culture fodder for middle aged dudes signaling isolation and like, listlessness or being a bit of a loser and like all pop music, planted ear worms in a new generation of people.

same thing with tracy chapman and 'fast car' or whatever the song's name is. it re-emerged in a cringy video of a butch lady lip synching it and it found new life.

tl;dr: life is a mixed bag and you take the good with the bad.

A country musician covered fast car and got it to #1 and it also won song of the year at the country awards if I'm not mistaken.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

My girlfriend has a husky and thankfully her vocals aren't too bad unless she really throws a fit. I've seen the videos of the ones that are basically screaming and I couldn't handle it.

Also I hope you have leather seats as the hair gets everywhere. I have carpet in my room where she will stay for the weekend and sheds so much I fill the vacuum canister every time afterwards.

I love the dog, I really do but she's a lot.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

We did Santa for a few years with my kid but it was even better once he knew, because then he would just say hey dad I want these things for Christmas. It definitely made my life easier

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry for the double post but I did just sign paperwork to have surgery on my leg/foot. I get to rehab that one and then get to have the same procedures done on the other one. Now I just have to wait on a call for the exact date of surgery

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Did you not have him write a list before?

We did but we also would try to find something nice that we thought he would like and that was the Santa gift. Or building up the whole Santa experience, I just was never a real fan.

To be honest his birthday is right before Christmas so once he was born Christmas always too a backseat to his birthday in my mind.

And before anyone says anything, he got things on his birthday and on Christmas. Not just one gift for both

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, definitely got hit with a reality check today. Louisiana has a TOPS program which pays for tuition for college. My daughter qualifies for it. I had it when I was in school (for 3 years, it began one year after I graduated high school).

Today I started crunching some numbers and found out that her tuition and fees will be roughly $5641 per semester. However, her ACTUAL tuition will be $2703.48. Which means that her mandatory fees for college will be $2937.52. The fees are more than the college tuition! What is this, college or Ticketmaster???

I asked for a breakdown of the fees. While they gave me a list of the names, they couldn’t give me a numerical breakdown, which is bullshit. So while TOPS covers every penny of tuition, it doesn’t do jack for all these fees except for a $400 honors bonus.

Now she’s getting a supplemental scholarship due to her outstanding grades and ACT score, she’s applying for other scholarships and we do have the FAFSA filled out for aid, but that is just wrong. I knew college tuition was way more than it was when I went in 1996 but I sure don’t remember almost three grand in mandatory fees per semester. Maybe a couple hundred bucks?

That’s not including the room and meal plan, that’s another story.

Sheesh.

Hello fellow TOPS recipient and thanks for giving me something to worry about when my kid graduates next year.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

I remember not liking NCAA 14; gameplay was kind of buggier than other years and I didn't care for the changes they made to the recruiting economy.

That to me is the funniest part of it all. Everyone I knew that bought it hated it for the things you mentioned but little did we know that was going to be the only one for a decade

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Apparently one of my aunts just died. Cancer. :(

My condolences.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I had my gallbladder removed in 2022 and I was shocked how fast I was out of there. The hardest thing is just not being able to lift anything and learning when you have to go to the restroom it's time to go.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Disability company has reached out to my wife’s doctor for a 4th set of questions after not talking to anyone about anything for two weeks.

They’ve now also decided to request her position description from her job (two months in???) and are reaching out to her therapist as they want her session notes.

Absolute insanity and holy Santa Claus poo poo I didn’t think it was possible to hate insurers more.

I had a girlfriend apply for disability years ago and it was the stupidest act of government incompetence I've ever seen. I know they have plenty of people trying to milk it but for someone who truly was suffering and needed help, that was a long 2 or 3 years of waiting and giving lawyers their cut.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

New Godzilla is awesome. Just big, dumb and hilarious.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Just found out our 15 year old Bassett has Lymphoma as she has heavy swelling on the lower part of her neck. They upped her Prednisone and it's basically as long as she's doing good just enjoy the time with her.

So hug your pets and enjoy them for me.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

These incisions are itching like a muthafucka. That's normal right? I am 8 days post op.

I assume you got the 4 incisions? Yeah, mine itched as well but not sure that much.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

[quote="Android Apocalypse"
Meanwhile, I'll likely see Godzilla X Kong The New Empire on Tuesday with fellow goon Crosshatch
[/quote]

I know I posted after I saw it last weekend but it's still true, Godzilla X Kong is hilarious and awesome. I was shocked it was the same director as Godzilla vs Kong because I really didn't enjoy that one at all

E: bleh phone posting for messing up the quote, my apologies

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I've been going grey for about 12 years. I have a lot of grey on the chin parts of my beard so I'm rocking the salt and pepper look hard.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Queens of the Stone Age are cool and good

Definitely my favorite band even if the newest album wasn't my favorite.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Getting ready to turn 39 in a few minutes and having surgery at noon. I just want you all to know that you are all amazing and brighten my day. I appreciate this forum and how cool you all are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for the wishes and thoughts. I survived and now just in pain trying to get home