Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A little grayer, a little fatter, still on the same dumb dead comedy forums, wouldn’t have it any other way, happy new year goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I had my first and only kid at 26, now I’m 38 and getting snipped in a couple days, I definitely felt like I missed out on a little by having to get all responsible and whatnot earlier than a lot of my peers, but I also am pretty glad to not be starting on that journey now, I’m not entirely decrepit yet and she’s really becoming independent. She just started the phase where she refuses to come out of her room before 11 am, I have my mornings back!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Manoueverable posted:

I'm in a pretty big crisis because I'm 34, I want to have kids, but even if I met someone today it would probably be another 2 years at least before we have them.

And on an ethical level I just don't know if I could bring them into a world that will almost certainly see the collapse of civilization and all the horrors it will bring within their lifetime.

I mean, everybody’s journey and situation is their own and this is by no means a judgement so much as floating an alternative idea, but I know lots and lots of folks who are foster (or even adoptive) single parents, it doesn’t always have to be the traditional route! Obviously it doesn’t answer if you want an actual bio offspring or would prefer a partner for it (which, trust me, as a single parent would make my life SO much simpler), but if you’re especially determined you still have lots to offer regardless of your relationship status.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MaximilianK posted:

Just lol if every post you make in chat isn't groundbreaking and lauded by all the posters you think are the coolest

My posts are beautiful treasures that should be enshrined in a museum.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

General Dog posted:

I choose to believe the countries we're friendly with wouldn't do that sort of thing!

To paraphrase Animal House, they can’t do that to our citizens, only we can do that to our citizens!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lol, and here I'm too cheap to shell out for the FCS Championship Game when Montana's in it. In my defense if my dad were going I'd absolutely do it, he had season tickets my whole life and is the reason I'm a fan, but it wound up being the same weekend he's on another trip.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalli posted:

Also I found a bug today where our name parser breaks if someone enters a provider with the same first and last name. Which is really annoying because how many Dr's could there possibly be in the US with matching names and secondly, that's the exact kind of bug I'd expect to have been found in testing as surely someone would've been lazy enough to put in Smith,Smith as a dr name somewhere.

Not a doctor but my kid’s therapist does, that’s at least 1 potential more conflict in the country!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought he'd at least get into specifics of why Whitlock is a piece of poo poo.

I mean, he talks about being a sellout Uncle Tom who panders to white people in an effort to sell out the black community and ran “Black Grantland” into the ground, runs off a list of media figures both on air and off who despise Whitlock and won’t work for him, calls out Whitlock for first trying to hire him and then trashing him in the press, and that’s just the little bit I sat through, seemed pretty detailed to me! But also he smoothly incorporates a plug for his book without missing a beat or lowering his volume, it’s quite a show.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Can’t remember if I’ve crowdsourced this in here, but my kid had a class project a while back where everyone is randomly assigned on of the states to do a report on, and she got South Dakota, which has now instilled an interest in her to visit this summer, but not with any more idea of what to actually visit there. Off the top of my head there’s Mt Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, the Corn Palace, and gently caress all else to do. Anybody got some great South Dakota vacation thoughts?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Rad, probably enough in there to fill out a couple more days, thanks folks!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm awaiting delivery+assembly of my new bed. Should I consider tipping the delivery team? It's currently -27°F (RealFeel -38°F) in Calgary. In Celsius that's -33/-39.

I genuinely don’t know, is tipping culture a thing in Canada? In the US I’d say that’s a psycho question even without those weather conditions but you probably know that. Though to be fair I guess with someone like my tattoo artist I tip extremely well because I want them in a very good mood while they work on me, your bed is more a fixable issue if they’re grumpy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Woken up by the wind knocking over my electric barrel smoker.

This doesn’t mention the 15-40 mph wind gusts, I know it’s par for course elsewhere but I don’t like it!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do you folks love or hate when video games have long cutscenes?

I love those 4 hour long nonsensical Kojima cutscene.

Hate, but I’ve just been caught too often by surprise when I only had a little bit before needing to go do other things. I play video games to avoid commitments, not have more of them!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Also feeling it at the moment, we relocated for the night due to power failure at my place and the dog is coping with the anxiety by being extra clingy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Interview felt good and I think it went well.

The recruiter said there's a trip to Australia involved for onboarding.

WISH ME LUCK LADIES AND GENTLEMANS

Watch for drop bears and hoop snakes

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My ex wife did the startup routine for a bit but had pretty bad luck, ranging from unexpectedly shutting down with no notice to the cokehead owner firing her at SEATAC during a manic episode while she was returning from a work trip. Made me greatly appreciate the stability of government work, the best job security and especially with the union I’m harder to get rid of than a cockroach. My pay is unimpressive in the grand scheme but for a social worker, especially one without an MSW, it’s pretty much top of the industry, I’ve got a buddy who wants to move to Tennessee to be near her family and it’d literally be a 60% pay cut

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FizFashizzle posted:

Got enough property to build?

Forget property, if you can’t spread out go up, just add another story on top, let’s make 2024 the year of Groverhaus 2.0!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, sorry, all I can say is I buy a $12 pack of edibles, those are 10 servings of 10 mg THC, make that math convert as you will. Not enough to send me to the moon by any stretch, but I’m a lightweight and they knock my butt out at night, no complaints

Edit: I’m 38 and started finding random stray greys, but they’re few and far between and regardless I’m not precious about it, let them come. Meanwhile my brother has completely avoided grey hair and his metabolism never slowed from being a drat teenager, but years of working outside year round has him looking more like a glove while my gloomy PacNW aversion to sun will keep my skin pasty and smooth as god intended for years to come, genes giveth and genes taketh away

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 20, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m watching the last episode and it’s so bad.

A few episodes ago: “I like he’s a firefighter. They’re honorable and truthful” the dialogue is so bad

I literally laughed out loud when the NYPD guys started trying to out flex 9/11 at each other

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It’s a cliche but literally every Jackass movie I’ve seen in theaters has been an incredibly memorable experience, blasts all around. Also Pineapple Express on opening night was good, or any classic (first 2 dozen or so) Warren Miller was a solid vibe if you have just the right crowd, which are generally the exact fools who show up to a live Warren Miller screening in the first place

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Any of y’all use marijuana gummies to help get to bed?

Do you feel rested afterwards or is it a sleep that doesn’t actually get you energized?

Yes and yes, though fairly low dose ones and as mentioned taking it two hours before bed helps. Honestly at this point they’ve become associated enough in my brain that I take one and I get sleepy regardless of what time of day it is, not something that I can do easily take recreationally anymore

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I need to start doing this.

You got a brand / dosage amount that work well for you?

I think the responsible thing for me to do is start with enough cbd to kill an elephant.

I literally went with whatever was ubiquitous in local shops and struck my fancy, my usual is Jackpot which makes 10 mg gummies in a variety of flavors and strains, but I haven’t really attended to any others out there. The Huckleberry Sativa is my go to since I always preferred sativas over indicas back when I smoked flower, it tended to minimize the couch-lock and lessen anxiety, but by my vague understanding largely informed by Bill Walton everyone reacts differently to different strains, your best bet will be to sample a couple things until you find the right vibe. Scientific method!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Air Skwirl posted:

Are you going on a hunting trip or are you a professional body guard? because I'm trying to think of other reasons to bring a gun when flying.

Shooting competition I think he said?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Air Skwirl posted:

There isn't a good explanation for WW1, all the other pointless wars with mass causalities you can kinda explain, but WW1 is just "Every single major political power is going to be a loving idiot and send all their able bodied men to their death."

To quote J Cole, pride is the devil

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a sexual elk posted:

My mom has had a tiny jar of Saffron in her pantry for years, it’d prolly turn to dust if she tried to take it out but guess she heard some time in the 90s that it was a must have.

Man that’s expensive too, next you’ll tell me she’s got some petrified vanilla beans in there

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which sucks because I actually like him a lot

I’m always torn on him because I think he’s just fine as an actor, but also nothing special nor anywhere near a leading man; he can do well in a random supporting role but I absolutely wouldn’t trust him to carry a scene or do any dramatic heavy lifting

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

kiimo posted:

Sorry to change the subject but the trailer I (my team and I) have been working on just dropped and I'm proud of this one. The trailer and movie rule. I posted this just now in the trailer thread but want to share it here too.

If you like John Wick, Nobody, The Raid, that kind of poo poo but want a socio-economic subtext involving the caste system this poo poo is for you. Dev Patel's directorial debut and this is probably the beginning of a tentpole franchise. He's going to be a thing.

https://twitter.com/monkeymanmovie/status/1750910440761389088

Hell, I’m in, looks rad. Dev Patel as an action guy is really not something I foresaw

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I will never understand continuing to show up somewhere that it’s been made clear nobody wants you around. And paying money to do it no less

Negative attention is still attention, why else announce it’s you every time instead of trying to be anonymous?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

pmchem posted:

just watched sydney sweeney's "hot ones" episode and she is straight up loving insane and did all the wings without taking a drink of anything

She grew up in Spokane, don’t be surprised at the lengths she needs to go to in order to not feel dead inside

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah

like it's been years since I stopped going to facebook but I remember my sister's mother in law, a mild conservative catholic lady who is very nice but kinda dumb, posting worries about sharia law taking over in the US, a country with like 0.5% muslim population

The obvious irony being that yes, there is plenty of reason to fear our government being hugely motivated by a small group of religious extremists determined to inflict their beliefs on everyone else, just not the flavor of religion she’s talking about

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalli posted:

I fell into a hole of forgotten tv show intros and I just need to post this one that is very clearly ripping off Freaky Friday. I get why the guy did it, he had nothing really going on, but Sharon Gless had skins on the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGW2Cku5AA

This is from the great year of 1979, when NBC greenlit everything they could get their hands on and premiered and killed a couple dozen shows including 3 separate Animal House ripoffs, Delta House (official), Brothers & Sisters and Co-Ed Fever, which was mercy-flushed after 1 episode because... jesus just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhnSvmLOd3Y

Not saying it’s the worst part of that opening sequence by any stretch, but trying to rhyme “quarter” with “daughter” and not even having the decency to fake a Philadelphia accent is pretty irksome

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I get mad the way my phone enables advertisers to push marketing to me nonstop; not enough to, you know, stop staring at phone, but it is a frequent irritation, the idea of embracing a way for them to do that literally directly into my brain does not appeal.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Ooh, we doin movie chat? Watched Wendy and Lucy the other night, then needed to take a break to go sob and hug my dog for a bit, highly recommended

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
There are two restaurants in town both named Jake’s and located within a few blocks of one another, the other day we were walking past them and I made a dumb The Two Jakes joke that absolutely nobody got because why would people catch a pop culture reference 4 decades past its expiration date. Anyway that’s my Chinatown (sequel) story thanks for listening

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bobjr posted:

I hope he’s getting a good stew going in heaven

The long stare he and Tobias share when Tobias starts to realize he’s getting conned is constantly in my head

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I showed her a pic of Faye Webster and got that exact cut.

But I’ve since decided that isn’t gay enough and the past two cuts have been based primarily on Courtney Barnett, whose hair is best described as being the same but dykey.
My stylist figured out how to curtain my bangs exactly so that they don’t get into my eyes even after four months of growth (and my hair is very healthy and very straight, so length happens fast!)
No color, can’t afford color, but I want to do something different next time. I’m going to a Caroline Rose concert, so I want to look the part…

Hell yes, Loner is one of my favorite albums of the past few years, Caroline Rose is fantastic

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I encountered "Jeanie Becomes A Mom" on one of Courtney Barnett's playlists and immediately fell in love.
Then they dropped "The Art of Forgetting" like a month after I went through a messy break-up and I binged that album so loving much. I will always love Uncle Carol.

I told them "The Art of Forgetting" was my album of the year on Instagram and THEY LIKED MY MESSAGE!:swoon:

lol, for me it was Pedestrian At Best from Courtney, though largely for similar reasons, for whatever reason angry indie/punk girl rock has been hitting a particular spot for a while, an acquaintance a while back told me I have the music taste of an aging lesbian and it’s stuck with me ever since. Muncie Girls, poo poo Present, Cayetana, and Hop Along were the other mainstays if they happen to be not broken up and passing through your neck of the woods ever (most are now defunct, go figure).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh come on, there also was like 10 years ago everyone was super invested in Apollo Anton Ono for the entirety of one Winter Olympics

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
At least the bear tape would be over a lot quicker

I had this experience recently but it was with foreign languages.

Out of the blue I had a chance to speak a foreign language with somebody and my brain went “neat! I know this language!”.

Turns out not using it for two decades meant that I did not in fact know the language anymore.

Shoot, same for me and skiing, I used to be pretty good then took 7 years off, first time out my brain scanned the run just as fast as ever, like I hadn’t missed a beat, and then my legs just didn’t respond to my mental command to turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Totally, it was part of my PT routine a few years back rehabbing my knee, good stuff! And thankfully I’m still active enough the skiing came back pretty quick, it was just funny the disconnect between my brain being so ready and my legs not having the same easy recall for what was once second nature

Edit: on the subject of getting physically ready for stuff, I was looking ahead to this summer and hoping to get into the Enchantments in Washington, ideally backpacking if I can win an overnight permit in the lottery, otherwise I’m thinking I’ll do the one day route. 20-22 miles, big elevation but mostly within my comfort zone, the exciting bit will be Aasgard Pass, wherein you gain 2000 feet in just 1 mile. Gonna be getting really familiar with the stairmaster this spring!

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 8, 2024