Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The purpose of modern technology is to make simple things complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know you're being completely facetious but the amount of things we go through to take care of very small edge cases that is probably never going to happen but could so we have to design for it is.. a lot. And to basically anyone you'd say, "Why on earth do you have to do that?" and the answer is "because when saturn is in sagitarrius rising and jim and bob get a wild idea in their head to take this car out on this road in this driving pattern this can happen so"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Deteriorata posted:

The purpose of modern technology is to make simple things complicated.

Touch screen toasters

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

But can your fridge play Crisis?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TheBacon posted:

But can your fridge play Crisis?

Yeah. My smart fridge can call Amazon Fresh and automatically deliver food.

That's Financial Crisis.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

His Divine Shadow posted:

I heard Tesla has removed the indicator light stalk from their cars? I got explained to me that this is good because the cars navigation software can signal instead for you, humans are poor at this. And I was going huh? I only use the navigator app (google maps on my phone lol) when I go to a new place and I can't find my way.

They've taken away the stalk, there are still buttons for it on the wheel, which isn't a new thing, Ferrari in particular, but not uncommon on other paddle shifted exotics too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Touch screen toasters

I want to ask if you're joking here but deep in my heart I know you are not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

totalnewbie posted:

I know you're being completely facetious but the amount of things we go through to take care of very small edge cases that is probably never going to happen but could so we have to design for it is.. a lot. And to basically anyone you'd say, "Why on earth do you have to do that?" and the answer is "because when saturn is in sagitarrius rising and jim and bob get a wild idea in their head to take this car out on this road in this driving pattern this can happen so"

I'm just glad y'all actually handle edge cases like that because web developers and mobile app people....... Don't.

And it means that as a living breathing walking edge case, my modern software experience is horrific.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I'm just glad y'all actually handle edge cases like that because web developers and mobile app people....... Don't.

And it means that as a living breathing walking edge case, my modern software experience is horrific.

Close, but it's actually "Executives/clients come up with stupidass poo poo and devs do their bidding while mocking them on slack and then maliciously complying to make it worse for the lol's because nothing critical is being damaged, and that's how the paycheck continues to come in while they play Baldur's Gate and smoke weed most of the day"

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 24, 2024

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sales said to make product B do what product A can, nevermind that B was designed to do half the things A does for half the cost. Then its "hey, why is product B crashing and product A not selling anymore.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Close, but it's actually "Executives/clients come up with stupidass poo poo and devs do their bidding while mocking them on slack and then maliciously complying to make it worse for the lol's because nothing critical is being damaged, and that's how the paycheck continues to come in while they REDACTED"

You're not supposed to give away all their secrets, I wont complain as long as they will still answer the phone and help me troubleshoot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

FoMoCo: If you use the built in tow/haul function and go over a mountain pass it explodes the turbocharger.

Same buddy. Same. I exist to break every piece of code around me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Makes my job fun at least.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I heard Tesla has removed the indicator light stalk from their cars? I got explained to me that this is good because the cars navigation software can signal instead for you, humans are poor at this. And I was going huh? I only use the navigator app (google maps on my phone lol) when I go to a new place and I can't find my way.

Nah man, you use the navigator every day even going to the supermarket, what if it shows bad traffic congestion or something else?

Well to that I say
-I'm old and I don't like new things

And that makes me right.

Berlin seems to be full of roadworks this year, with lots of nearby roads closed off. Found out the hard way, twice, so now I tend to use the navi (also Google Maps on the phone). Of course the navi isn't always up to date either.

Back home, in a much smaller city, the navi didn't really matter because bad congestion just meant you sat in traffic because lol at having alternate routes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Berlin seems to be full of roadworks this year, with lots of nearby roads closed off. Found out the hard way, twice, so now I tend to use the navi (also Google Maps on the phone). Of course the navi isn't always up to date either.

Back home, in a much smaller city, the navi didn't really matter because bad congestion just meant you sat in traffic because lol at having alternate routes.

I put it on for a lot of regular driving because I have terrible time management skills and seeing an ETA is important. I don't pay much attention to the actual instructions unless it's a new location

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1772518180717572110
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1772530904495247577

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell of a gently caress up, holy poo poo.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wow
When I lived in the area I drove over it many times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

From what I've read in the OSHA thread in gbs, the ship lost power multiple times and there was a wind blowing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes, reminds me of the Skyway incident down here in FL in the 80's, same thing happened. A greyhound bus went into the water and 35 people died, it was nightmare fuel and made going over that bridge scary as hell.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

wesleywillis posted:

From what I've read in the OSHA thread in gbs, the ship lost power multiple times and there was a wind blowing.

Shouldn't there have been a tug or two if they were having engine problems in a shipping lane? I wonder who's going to be on the hook for this one

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want to ask if you're joking here but deep in my heart I know you are not.

It is a thing, but in this case, it's a jab at bougie EV owner 3Olives in the EV thread.

quote="Ether Frenzy" post="538572408"]

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1772518180717572110
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1772530904495247577
[/quote]

Jesus.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I imagine the shipping company is going to have a bad year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Shouldn't there have been a tug or two if they were having engine problems in a shipping lane? I wonder who's going to be on the hook for this one

Probably, but if it was already under way, and the whole thing happened in the span of a few minutes, there might not have been time to get tugs there, hooked up and then able to stop or redirect millions of pounds.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Probably, but if it was already under way, and the whole thing happened in the span of a few minutes, there might not have been time to get tugs there, hooked up and then able to stop or redirect millions of pounds.

I'm not judging anyone yet, even with a tug on hand, ships are really big and have tons of momentum that make it hard to stop or correct course. More just curious about when things started to go wrong

Would the bridge be rebuilt?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Biden has committed to rebuilding the bridge. I imagine there will be a long, drawn out finger pointing game between Baltimore and the ship's insurer, but the process of rebuilding the bridge from scratch will also be long, so starting soon is important.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The NTSB did a media briefing a bit ago but they don't have any details yet. Maybe tomorrow we'll have some facts.

Until then here's some commentary from someone well versed in shipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

e: he put out another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39w6aQFKSQ

Galler fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 26, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mayor Pete’s on this, everybody calm down.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Ships Insurance: "Bridges fall down all the time, if anything we should be going after you for your bridge falling on our client's ship."

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
What's amazing is that you couldn't have picked a better time of day for this tragedy to occur. 30,000 ADT and the whole span taken down in seconds, resulting in 6 lives lost? We're lucky this figure didn't have a comma.

But then it's a punch in the gut when you realize that the 6 souls lost, were only on the bridge at that specific time, doing their work because of the low traffic volume.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's amazing that the stupidest fools in this country are all out there with "if ONLY we weren't giving aid to Ukraine, we could have infrastructure week'd 200,000 ton ships as the pylons on all the bridges in the country to prevent other 200,000 ton ships from crashing them, which is why I'm voting that all public money should be given to trump's legal defense fund"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The godawful takes about the bridge collapse being the fault of woke DEI just leave me gobsmacked how goddamn stupid anyone has to be to say that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

racists gonna racist

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
'The definition of "America" is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' - One of the extras in "Oppenheimer"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The godawful takes about the bridge collapse being the fault of woke DEI just leave me gobsmacked how goddamn stupid anyone has to be to say that

A certain fucko is responsible for that, "DEI" is getting thrown around as a general insult for PoC now. It's infuriating, and none of these racist fucks even understands what DEI is.

In unrelated stupid bridge news, here's a far mongering article from a local source.

1: The bridge construction is "steel truss" like >50% of the bridges in this country.

2: this bridge is on the other side of a small lock, the largest vessel I can find currently on the bridge side of the lock is less than 1/100th the mass of the ship that hit the Key Bridge.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's amazing that the stupidest fools in this country are all out there with "if ONLY we weren't giving aid to Ukraine, we could have infrastructure week'd 200,000 ton ships as the pylons on all the bridges in the country to prevent other 200,000 ton ships from crashing them, which is why I'm voting that all public money should be given to trump's legal defense fund"

God drat, this poo poo makes me so angry. Wanna make America great again? Me too fuckhead, that's why I want increased spending for infrastructure, healthcare, social services, and the projection of global soft power. We could have better pay and work fewer hours, with our retirements secured- Oh, you mean that you just want the browns and the gays to go away? Uh huh....

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

A certain fucko is responsible for that, "DEI" is getting thrown around as a general insult for PoC now. It's infuriating, and none of these racist fucks even understands what DEI is.

What do you mean of course they do silly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Earnhardt,_Inc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If dale had been driving that ship, the boat and bridge would have suffered minor damage, but all the crew on board would have had their brain stems detach from their spinal cords.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's because these fuckwits believe that DEI necessarily requires lowering standards, because their feeble minds simply can't conceive of a woman or brown person being competent, much less expert.

In short:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

racists gonna racist

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

At least the front end of the ship didn't fall off so it won't require towing outside the environment

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Darchangel posted:

That's because these fuckwits believe that DEI necessarily requires lowering standards, because their feeble minds simply can't conceive of a woman or brown person being competent, much less expert.

In short:

The solution is clear. Conservatism must be criminalized as a felony.

not ironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

The solution is clear. Conservatism must be criminalized as a felony.

not ironic

Signed. If Obama had rounded up and executed every 2x Dubya voter who voted McCain/Palin, sure, there would have been some initial pushback. But 20 years later everyone would have been doing Alonzo_Mourning_it_do_be_like_that.gif instead of whatever we are all doing now.

https://twitter.com/_Norah__D_/status/1768677243591467145