Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

But now the important question: white letters?
:negative: white letters in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NitroSpazzz posted:

As god intended!!!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
wtf. rictus what have you done

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The low teens may not be keeping propane liquid at ambient pressure, but it sure messes stuff up in a place not built for that climate. Despite a space heater in the pump house, and another in the crawlspace, and trickling the faucets, my pipes froze (as did about a hundred other people's in my town, based on FB posts begging for plumbers). Turns out the idiots that built this sketch-rear end water system put the meter in at ground level. Got it flowing again today after some troubleshooting and a heat gun and welding blanket, assisted by just-above-freezing temperatures, but man what a pain in the rear end.

Jammed a 75 watt incandescent bulb in there as a temporary heat source for now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The cold has most likely killed the 12v battery in my 2007 Prius and my 330i isn't liking it either.

I can jump the Prius and drive it but it will not restart. I had a charger hooked up to it but no dice so far.

The 330i had a really slow crank the past 2 days. I drove it a decent amount today and when I went to go pick up dinner it was giving me low battery warnings. So now I have the charger hooked up to it. It's gonna get back to the 30's on Wednesday, hopefully they both don't croak.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My car apparently wasn't producing enough vacuum in this cold after warming up while I scraped the ice off, because I did not have power brakes when I tried to pull out of my parking spot. Gave it enough time to get up to temp before I tried moving again and the brakes worked fine, so that was a fun surprise

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've had to babysit my exterior faucets some and I needed a bit of a running start to get up my driveway but otherwise I have, fortunately, not been particularly impacted by the cold/snow. The potential ice storm tomorrow may prove to be a bigger deal.

e: once again feeling smug with my car in the garage instead of outside covered in snow like all my neighbors.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 16, 2024

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Galler posted:

e: once again feeling smug with my car in the garage instead of outside covered in snow like all my neighbors.

You think you are feeling smug, I just spent the day at the beach on the clock. Was a nice 30c

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

One day I want to winter (summer) in Australia and summer in Michigan

Just shred waves all fuckin winter (summer) while Michigan gets arctic blasted to hell

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

One day I want to winter (summer) in Australia and summer in Michigan

Just shred waves all fuckin winter (summer) while Michigan gets arctic blasted to hell

The universe has finally figured out that Vancouver is part of Canada and we're getting cold snaps of -20 C and a foot of snow this week, so I'm on the same train as you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And now my furnace seems to not be working. loving awesome. I've tried flipping all the breakers, emergency heat, temp changes, etc...

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

fknlo posted:

And now my furnace seems to not be working. loving awesome. I've tried flipping all the breakers, emergency heat, temp changes, etc...

Is it the draft pump or sensor? My older furnace wouldn't turn on the gas and light up unless it sensed a positive draft through the chimney stack, and the motor that generated the draft wouldn't run because the turbine housing was full of condensate. I could hear the turbine blades slushing through the water in there.

I ran my house on space heaters for 4 days until a new draft motor could come in - spent $400 on it, but saved the $999 a service call would have cost me plus waiting like one day less if they had a spare on the truck.

See if you can manually spin the thing, or if it spins at all, might be a popped fuse in the circuit that drives it. Could be a place to start, goonspeed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
loving around with breakers, I discovered that the furnace comes on when you put just a little bit of pressure on the lower switch of the double breaker... So I think it's just a bad breaker. It doesn't seem to be tripped or anything, just takes some pressure to work.

e: that breaker is toast. There isn't anything open around here to get another one either. We have an electric "fireplace" in the living room, hopefully that's enough to keep some pipes from freezing

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 16, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do you have another breaker for something you could live without you could swap it with short-term? Water heater or range maybe?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nope, stove is close but it’s only 50 amps and the furnace breaker is 60

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big dong wanter posted:

You think you are feeling smug, I just spent the day at the beach on the clock. Was a nice 30c

Hell yeah :cheers:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

fknlo posted:

i wouldnt worry too much, its hot as hell right now

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

They're predicting we might see temperatures in the negative Fahrenheit and if not that close to zero for a bit, the coldest I can remember seeing is +12 degrees several years ago. There's going to be things breaking around here for sure. We ended up getting around 8 inches of snow and temps won't see above freezing until Thursday afternoon. We drove around a bit yesterday morning to see how the 4runner would do, no surprise it did well, and get wife some winter driving practice. She will be headed to work in about two hours and insists on driving herself so at least she feels comfortable enough for that. She's got brand new tires, a couple month old battery and good four wheel drive so as long as she takes her time and doesn't get hit by some random idiot she'll be fine.

Meanwhile my battery is from 2012 which might not matter because I'm not sure if I could even get out of the driveway. I'd really like to go play in the snow and get a new battery installed but we live on the side of a hill and I'm not sure I could get back up to our house even if I did make it out of the driveway. Have an appointment tomorrow morning when it's supposed to be 10 degrees and I'm thinking I might reschedule that one.

What a week to be burning the last of my 2023 vacation time. Half gaming and napping, half making sure pipes don't freeze and hanging quilts over leaky doors.

edit: Nope she's having me drive her in because we don't have another "practical" vehicle if I had an emergency and had to get somewhere

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 16, 2024

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always wanted to install front reversing lights on my Saab 900. Today I determined it has the wiring for it.

I have the wiring, but I there's no hole in the actual lamps, but like, everything is there. I could get some BA15s lamp sockets and drill a fitting hole.

My 99's also have the space for the reversing bulb in the front light fittings but no actual bulb holder. I have always meant to get some sockets and fit some too. Let us know how you do it :)

I think your c900 is the same as the 99 also in that it uses dual filament bulbs in every position, so you can mess about and wire up the other filaments for things too if they were not factory wired.
My 1978 99 has the other filament wired as DRL's but they dropped that in the 1980 UK models so you have to wire the other filaments up yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'll take some photos of how I'll go about it, I am basing my approach of this guide
https://uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?t=127401

I bought aftermarket BA15s holders. Didn't even realize you could still buy the saab originals. Though 30 euros a piece vs 2.50...

Now this guy in the link mentioned the holders he used made the bulbs sit too far into the light. So I'm gonna see how that works out for me, if I wanna try and find (cheaper) saab parts or figure something else out if I don't like these holders.

He also uses a weaker 5W bulb, service manual specifies 21W bulbs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big dong wanter posted:

i wouldnt worry too much, its hot as hell right now

We were without a/c for about a week late last spring waiting to get the evaporator coil replaced. It was 90+ inside and just miserable. Don't have to worry about pipes freezing like you do when it's -4 though. A new breaker and it's running, I don't think it got cold enough in the house to hurt anything. It's gonna warm up a bit after today at least.

It was mother's day weekend when the a/c was out and I put my gf and the kids up in a hotel because she couldn't take it any more. She said it was a great mother's day gift :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not Wolverine posted:

Does installing Arch count? :haw: I read the LFS guide a long time ago, and it does seem kinda fascinating. I'm more hoping for a guide for how to make something useful, like a home file server, which I have already done with Ubuntu + Samba. I should have taken the easy way with FreeNAS but thus far it's stable and my files are backed up (scattered across a dozen old hard drives in cold storage).

Thanks for explaining that, my toy addiction is ABS crack, although that's getting to be pretty expensive. That said, I only own a couple HW/Matchbox cars, I like realistic cars and especially ones with opening doors, I think that a Matchbox thing.

I used to build models - cars and sci-fi/robot. Still have all of them, and a bunch of unbuilt kits that I realistically may never get around to, if I'm honest. It's hard for me to stick to one hobby, and the internet has basically ruined me.
Matchbox does specialize in realistic cars, but Hot Wheels does some, too. They tend to be performance cars, of course. Opening features can be had in Matchbox, but I noted that they've broken those out into a separate, more expensive line when I was at Target.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you want a file server that isnt Windows then TrueNAS really is about the best roll your own. Samba has it's problems but TrueNAS has a neat interface that will overcome them.

There are ways to do a Windows file server without a retail or VMS key for tru ease, not saying them here for obv reasons.

Neat, another option for NAS. I see that it can do apps (and VMs!) Do you know what apps it supports natively? Basically, I'm looking for Bittorrent and Plex, so I can retire the massive MacPro currently running one, and the MacBook Pro acting as a file server. I know FreeNAS can do both of those, so I'd expect TrueNAS can, or at least the "core" variant of it.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well finally got new tires on the 4Runner after having to reschedule the appointment several time. Get there (Discount Tire) and find out they had been sent four tires in three sizes... So they upgraded from Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to BFG KO2 which seems good enough and they fit the "look tough" wife requirement. Turns out we got them just in time for a nice winter storm warning, 3-6 inches is a lot for this area and largely shuts down everything. We'll get to put them to the test Tuesday morning driving Wife into work.

Guess I'll spend today "cold proofing" the house as much as possible so we can hopefully get through this cold snap without issues.

You DID mount them white letters out, correct?

e: f, b:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

But now the important question: white letters?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

As god intended!!!

YOU MONSTERS. If God wanted blackwalls out He wouldn't have put white letters on in the first place.

Regarding Cold - it got down to 12F here in north Texas. Thankfully, there was no precipitation predicted, HOWEVER - it managed to snow Sunday night anyway. The news said it was "lake effect" snow, which is why it didn't show up on radar as precipitation. Mostly melted/sublimated off Monday, depsite the temps not getting above freezing. No clouds, so still got warmish on surfaces due to the sun. HAd the day off for MLK Day on Monday. No trouble getting in to work this Tuesday morning. Still a little snow/melt in shaded areas, but no big deal, unless it's a spot where water pools - which of course froze or stayed frozen. Currently 17F, high of 28F. Looks like we get back above freezing tomorrow.
We of course set a record for energy usage in the winter, despite ERCOT pleading with folks to conserve power (to which I say: do your loving job. You KNOW this is a thing. Take all that money you assholes are charging me and fix the problem, if you can't be arsed to connect to the national grid...)

edit: forgot I took pictures:
Sunday night

Monday morning

It was pretty snow when it was falling, and very dry.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 16, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, also, I built another of the Aliexpress block kits, this time the vintage Mac.

It opens up and has board and CRT detail:

Note that the mouse connects to the board as well. That part sticks through the back. It's pretty clever.
The kit offered a choice of stickers for the screen - I went with the first thing the public ever saw on a Mac.

The "Happy Mac" would also have been acceptable.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That’s awesome. I miss the happy mac days what a cool little thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

fknlo posted:

Join the club. Woke up to a modest 55 degrees inside - not the end of the world, just a "wait, it's set at 65". Eventually hit 44 inside, heard a loud click from the furnace, it heated up to about 55. Then another click and back to circulating cold air, and it's now back to 40ish.

It's been acting up for a bit - I've been taking the cover off and smacking the high limit switch. Violence seems to no longer work. Maybe I should have called maintenance a couple of months ago...

Best part: Nest thermostat won't let it shut off - it's now below the lowest emergency heat temp Nest allows (40), had to yank the drat thing off the wall to keep from getting blasted with cold air.

My garage alarm is being lovely too. It thinks the overhead door is always open (wireless tilt sensor attached to the top panel of the overhead door - rated down to 10F, which is roughly what we hit yesterday). I'll have to open it up and smack it - it uses a little ball bearing in a sealed capsule to detect when it hits a 45 degree angle, I bet the capsule shrunk a bit from the cold. Upside is the alarm has that as an exit zone that auto bypasses if not closed in time..

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Luckily our temps haven’t been too low lately but we’ve been running the wood stove in the basement just to take the chill out. We keep the thermostat at 65 but we get plenty of essentially free firewood just from all these damned ash trees that keep falling on the properties.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can a Canuck or American help a brotha out?

Canada office is moving, and I've been tasked with making sure our servers can reside in this room. Can someone tell me what they think this is:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Canadian here with a family history of being in The Phone Company (as we called it up here). The plastic structure with the fat cable going into it is a 25-pair Nortel analog phone line breakout box.

I'd wager the copper bar above it with a handful of cables attached to it is a ground busbar. You're going to want to pull out a multimeter to confirm, but considering one of the conductors is bolted to the shielding on the metal pipe going up the access inlet, it's very likely to be the ground rail.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

bolind posted:

Canada office is moving, and I've been tasked with making sure our servers can reside in this room. Can someone tell me what they think this is:

A grounding bus bar, and termination for cable TV/Internet and telephone service (that grey thing with the white thing at the top). They might enter the building at another place and these could just be patch runs to your particular office suite (the label on the frame for the telephone stuff makes me think this is the case). If you have cable to the room you've probably got the possibility of enough Internet service for a branch office. But as far as servers living in there, probably the bigger factor is going to be power and cooling to that room.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also green has to legally always be ground, iirc

can confirm on the phone block too. i think those are called bix blocks? i don't really know much about phone stuff tho. looks kinda 110-ish

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Raluek posted:

can confirm on the phone block too. i think those are called bix blocks?

They are indeed. Not sure who makes them these days but they were a Northern Telecom product originally. Probably got spun off to some offshore manufacturer when Nortel got divested to Avaya.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that's just grounding for any equipment you put in the room.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's always nice to know that the busbar in your closet is a ground one instead of one prong of a live 208VAC one.

That was an interesting site visit.

e: If you can do so, avoid working in weird private scam universities in 150-year-old colonial heritage buildings in Canadian downtowns.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Kazinsal posted:

It's always nice to know that the busbar in your closet is a ground one instead of one prong of a live 208VAC one.

:what:

I would be loving bullshit if I came across that. Why? How?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kastein posted:

:what:

I would be loving bullshit if I came across that. Why? How?

The building had electrical wiring to communications closets that were last renovated when knob and tube was considered perhaps just maybe not the best idea, and T1s were still a couple decades away. poo poo was insane, and the resident private university was charging offshore students 40k/semester for barely-recognized MBAs.

Absolutely psychotic poo poo.

Meanwhile at home I wish that we had a standard way of easily identifying which outlets go to which breakers. I've been in this apartment for three years now and still haven't figured out how to properly spread out my electrical load across the five different 15A unlabeled breakers on the panel.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i can think of one way to find out, lmao

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
You guys are beyond awesome, thanks all around!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Raluek posted:

can confirm on the phone block too. i think those are called bix blocks? i don't really know much about phone stuff tho. looks kinda 110-ish

punchdown blocks?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

bolind posted:

we use these in the UK too and put them in all new build server rooms.

They are called earth bonding bars or earth connectors here.

The metal chassis of you server cab should be wired back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

bolind posted:

One other thing that might not have been touched on, since I spy a drop ceiling, noise isolation.
Depending on the cabinets and servers that will reside in said room, the sound may carry. Typical telecommunications rooms aren't built with sound isolation in mind. So whomever gets the office closest to that one might hate it.