Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
wtf. rictus what have you done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also green has to legally always be ground, iirc

can confirm on the phone block too. i think those are called bix blocks? i don't really know much about phone stuff tho. looks kinda 110-ish

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i can think of one way to find out, lmao

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Toggle switch across hot and neutral in a box on a line cord :ninja:

i am somewhat surprised at all the safe and sensible options upthread because this is exactly what i had in mind

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not saying str is like you know who, but they can still have a similar issue. Wrt life choices that aren't the greatest for their personal lives/health etc. whether or not the system is partly or fully at fault in either of their cases.

I probably didn't explain that well.

your point makes sense to me. obviously you cant compare the situations that caused their individual exits from this community, but in both cases throughout their posting careers i remember having this feeling of "man i can't believe everything constantly goes so wrong in this person's life." like it seems unreal that someone can have that much bad luck, that frequently. well, it turned out in the previous case that it was due to some combination of that person's self destructive behavior, and their choice of recreational substances. the causes might be different in this case, but i am getting the impression that it might not all be just random bad luck. deja vu.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 29, 2024

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno but the first is what I would call normal for a normal sized car, but I suspect the overton window for cars has shifted a lot in the US.

i think this is backwards. the 80s and 90s artificially shifted the window towards the small displacement end, but now we're back closer to where we started.

used to be, a normal sedan would be like an impala with a 327, a fairlane with 292, a coronet with a 318. then things got lovely for a bit, american manufacturers lost their way for a couple decades cause they couldn't stop trampling their own dicks and eating poo poo. the overton window shifted to 90HP 4-cyl motors for a while.

you don't have many options if you want to buy a V8 family sedan anymore (just the charger, which is on death's door), but pickup trucks fill that niche now. so probably the average american family has something with a normal-sized motor. if you have a short attention span, maybe it looks like the expectation of displacement has shifted hard towards the higher end of the scale, but it's really just a reversion to normalcy.

i hope it stays, so we have plenty of fun donors for years to come, but the way things are trending, we're probably headed for another dark age. time will tell i guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I think fuel efficiency and the environment are more important than fun donors being available. More like things got sane for a bit, now back to lovely, for the entire planet.

nah, they can actually do some pretty magical stuff these days. supposedly, you can get over 20mpg with that fancy modern fuel injection, while still making over 400HP. you probably won't want to, since it requires staying out of it, but you can if you want ive heard

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

totalnewbie posted:

You're much more likely to get a fun vehicle out of hybridized cars that can give you that torque via electric motors than a big beefy engine. Downsizing and turbocharging have been a trend for years and it is definitely not reversing course.

im much more likely to just not buy a new car, tbh. maybe a full electric will be enticing someday, but i just cannot imagine any hybrid being as much fun as a V8 4-speed.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Big V8 sedans were only normal mainstream cars in the US in that timeframe. The rest of the world leaned in hard on smaller-size, smaller-displacement cars with things like taxation on engine displacement providing additional incentive to do so.

sure, but the post i was originally responding to was about the overton window in the US specifically. i realize the rest of the world doesn't really get any fun toys.

Mileage is one of the most important factors because it absolutely matters to how much the vehicle will cost me and if I can even drive it as much as I want or if i have to decide to stay home or not.

i take the opposite view. fuel economy is the last consideration. it's ok to spend money on your hobbies, and who cares how much an activity costs if it's unenjoyable? the value proposition of "how much do i like this" per "how much does this cost" still goes to zero if it's no fun, no matter how small you make the denominator. sure, if i could triple my economy and get 20s around town for free i would, but not if it means cutting into the reasons i really like the car.

that reminds me, i just got a vacuum advance distributor for it a couple weeks ago, so i should be able to bump up my cruising mpg a little bit without any penalty. that's worth doing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you have to be at least somewhat resourceful to play with the toys, its true

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
so... how long until these motors start showing up in pick n pull?

i guess the problem with them being mostly in commercial chassis is that they won't really hit craigslist or pick n pull like the picup/SUV parts. but with the gen6 454 getting long in the tooth, we'll need some more secondhand big block action, so im looking forward to it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i hope it was a sensor and not a spark plug, lol

dont they ground through the bung, anyway? i guess you'd get enough displacement when tightening that there'd be sufficient metal-to-metal, but it still doesn't seem ideal from an electrical standpoint either.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
looks like #7 or #8 is very close :thunk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Door Frame posted:

Stickshifts and Safety Belts - Cake

the first cake song that comes to mind for me is Satan Is My Motor

other ones that i don't think have been mentioned:
Pedal to the Metal - Kazzer
Looking for You - Nino Ferrer

e: Throw Some D's - Rich Boy
and one of my favorite mash-ups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w3WIK8ZLs4
youtube's busted. this works: https://soundcloud.com/amoolance/15-afridsiac-captainlad

and while im thinking about amusing youtubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA3yNGU0L2E

does bill cosby's 200 MPH sketch about his cobra count?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 15, 2024

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elviscat posted:

For real?

i mean, in the context of car related, yes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TheBacon posted:

Not The Distance or Long Line of Cars?

i recognize that they're also car related, but no they're not the first that comes to mind. and it does randomly pop into my head while driving :shrug:

is that weird?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ok if we're going based on music video content, how about sturgill simpson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSMoBp8awM

also worth mentioning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyU_OzRXnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAuMiKqP-4

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have a couple ~decadeish old little plastic packets that ive used once or twice, but i really dont like using anti-seize. gross goop that gets everywhere, and it honeys up your threads. it's about as bad as thermal paste, except that's actually necessary for function sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
man, m-pars really do look good on almost anything :allears: