Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Firearms all day, fireworks for a couple hours last night. Dogs are still stressed the F out and no one slept for poo poo.

Starting the year off with a week of vacation, hoping to knock out a couple quick automotive projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We have several people out with covid and all the other stuff going around right now. Supposed to do a museum trip at the end of the month and getting a bit wary.

Got my latest booster Friday and it kicked my rear end, I slept most of the day Saturday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well finally got new tires on the 4Runner after having to reschedule the appointment several time. Get there (Discount Tire) and find out they had been sent four tires in three sizes... So they upgraded from Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to BFG KO2 which seems good enough and they fit the "look tough" wife requirement. Turns out we got them just in time for a nice winter storm warning, 3-6 inches is a lot for this area and largely shuts down everything. We'll get to put them to the test Tuesday morning driving Wife into work.

Guess I'll spend today "cold proofing" the house as much as possible so we can hopefully get through this cold snap without issues.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

But now the important question: white letters?
:negative: white letters in

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

They're predicting we might see temperatures in the negative Fahrenheit and if not that close to zero for a bit, the coldest I can remember seeing is +12 degrees several years ago. There's going to be things breaking around here for sure. We ended up getting around 8 inches of snow and temps won't see above freezing until Thursday afternoon. We drove around a bit yesterday morning to see how the 4runner would do, no surprise it did well, and get wife some winter driving practice. She will be headed to work in about two hours and insists on driving herself so at least she feels comfortable enough for that. She's got brand new tires, a couple month old battery and good four wheel drive so as long as she takes her time and doesn't get hit by some random idiot she'll be fine.

Meanwhile my battery is from 2012 which might not matter because I'm not sure if I could even get out of the driveway. I'd really like to go play in the snow and get a new battery installed but we live on the side of a hill and I'm not sure I could get back up to our house even if I did make it out of the driveway. Have an appointment tomorrow morning when it's supposed to be 10 degrees and I'm thinking I might reschedule that one.

What a week to be burning the last of my 2023 vacation time. Half gaming and napping, half making sure pipes don't freeze and hanging quilts over leaky doors.

edit: Nope she's having me drive her in because we don't have another "practical" vehicle if I had an emergency and had to get somewhere

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 16, 2024

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Our side of Knoxville got a bit over 8 inches of snow between Sunday and Monday nights. 4runner did great with the new tires, I burned nearly a half tank of fuel driving around assisting and shuttling her coworkers around. Power was flickering for a few hours earlier when it was negative 4F degrees but now it seems fairly stable. 4runner is the only thing that has been able to get out of the driveway since around noon on Monday, only thing with enough ground clearance and 4wd.

Heck of a strange week to burn my left over vacation time, the site has been closed all week due to snow and cold. Multiple outages postponed to next week and I don't think we'll have any hardware repair people at site until maybe some time late tomorrow.

This snow did make me realize how much I miss snow and winter driving.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We plugged random stuff into all the kitchen outlets (chargers, webcam, radio, whatever) with all the breakers off then one person flipped breakers on and the other took notes. More of a pain with only one but still not too bad and if you have enough random electronic junk you can knock out all the breakers in a relatively short amount of time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Been living in Portland now for 4 years and I love it
The weather isn't too extreme in either direction and there's so much to see and do in either direction.

In other news, which goon here was the car shipping guru?
I've got YET ANOTHER car in another state I need to get shipped up to Oregon.
Sent you contact info for the broker I use.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

Any California goons want to meet up in a month? We’re flying into Santa Barbara the last week of February and driving up to San Francisco. Planning a week in Santa Barbara, a week in the bay area, and a stop at Pinnacle National Park in between.

Already sick of all that bullshit snow?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Powershift posted:

When i had the BMW i had low profile tires and lost 3 tires and bent 1 rim all within like 6 months.

I'm a sidewall guy now.

E28 has low profile tires and I hate it, the ride is terrible and our potholes are really bad after the unusual snow/ice the other week. Hit a pothole so hard on the interstate the car wasn't running on all cylinders for 30-45 seconds.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Modern life is incredibly dumb.
^THIS^ The fact that companies are still pushing back to the office for positions that can be done remotely is absolutely stupid as well a waste of time and resources.

When I was commuting, for a job that could have been done +90% remote, the TDI did a good job getting 48+ mpg consistently. For the year of transitioning from on site to remote the i3 was great if boring. Now I drive for errands and appointments which I try to combine and for fun. Meanwhile wife is doing her <7 mile commute getting less than 18mpg.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I traded my red truck for a white one.

:hmmyes: good truck, am starting to see more of them around

This would make it a great truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Galler posted:

Bought my first ever new vehicle (and most expensive by like 4x) a 2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL. It's so smooth and quiet compared to my 08 Fit that I don't know if I'm going to keep dailying the Fit as I had planned. The 2024s have a few upgrades, the only one I really care being wireless android auto, but the 2023 was a fair bit cheaper and 0.9% financing. The dealership tried to force me to pay $800 something for paint sealant "we do that for every vehicle we sell, and it's already been applied we can't do anything about it now" but when I said 'ok then let's cancel all this' and got up to leave they were suddenly able to drop that charge.
Good move on calling their paint sealant bullshit. You may want to look into a ceramic coating applied by a pro to keep the paint nice and make cleaning easier.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The modern trend of lower profile tires with smaller sidewalls don't help suspension feel I would think. And run flat tires make this worse still I believe.
Low profile tires go great with the crumbling infrastructure and poo poo tier roads. I still need to look at the e28 and make sure I didn't bend a wheel last the other day.