Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.verywellhealth.com/will-we-get-a-combo-rapid-test-for-respiratory-illness-8422282

tl;dr
a three way combo at-home test isn't approved by the FDA yet. You can get a two-way at-home test by mail order, or you can do a three+ way test that gets sent to a lab, and hospitals have 3+way tests available for in lab use. FDA approval can take a long time unless it's intentionally expedited and there doesn't seem to be any strong push for that so we have no idea when we'll get 3+ way tests at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Y’all need to try the california coast, winters are 50°, not a lot of rain, and you can drive 3-4 hours to get to snow and mountains in the winter if you want to see that! (But lol at buying a house so I am also in washington)

also drive two hours to get to a decent hospital

my wife and I have considered it over and over and this is always the sticking point, you don't actually have to die of a minor heart attack in this day and age, but maybe you do if you live somewhere that remote

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheBacon posted:

The bay area and LA and SD are all on the coast! Or was this a traffic joke?

The part of the california coast that is mostly 50 degrees is not most of the bay area nor most of LA or SD. I presumed we're talking about the actual-coast, which OK probably includes SF proper and places like Monterey, but is also like hundreds of miles of gorgeous cliffs and beaches of the northern california coastline, places like mendocino and point reyes etc. There's affordable homes and mild temps and more or less unspoiled landscapes. But not much in the way of hospitals.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well not to put too fine a point on it, I can, and also ER stuff they will do no matter what, they'll just bill you later and wipe you out that way

but I'd rather be broke than dead, I guess, and probably a lot of other people feel the same, given how full the hospitals seem to be

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My mother in law was 69 years old (nice) when she took a buyout from AT&T. The pay out was based on years worked, and she'd worked there for over 40 years. She was gonna retire any day anyway but the payout was like $200k lmao so we were like "for gently caress's sake take the money and run" and she did

it's like a third of her retirement money, she was working for so long because of money worries and that basically made it so she could retire and keep her home. She was in a union so that's why there was this seniority structure to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it is very straightforward accounting wizardry: the company takes a one-time cash hit, on the books, as a cost of layoffs, and then doesn't have a forward-projected cost of paying those employees. Investors really love that poo poo, they're happy to eat a $100M dollar one-time cost to cut an <undisclosed amount> in payroll. For some loving reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

slidebite posted:

That does makes sense, but in my company's case the way they've done this most recently (2019) was actually paying the employees that took the package every month like they were still on the clock.... for years in some cases

So. Yeah.

Yeah my mother in law had the option of lump sum, or monthly checks. We did the math and the monthlies were far better because spreading the payout over 2.5 years meant lower top marginal income tax for a significant chunk of the money.

But because it's a specific, known amount of money, the company doing it can finance the entire cost up front, they don't have to have it all in cash but they can put the entire liability on their books, write it off now, and then pay it out for however long.