Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Gonna be lazy and just quote myself from the Awesome thread:
How does the quality of Adventure Force compare to Hot wheels or matchbox cars? Similarly, do you collect matchbox cars too? I didn't see any in your haul.

CommieGIR posted:

Nice, I've got a few Matchbox and cars as well because my spouse keeps buying them for me:

Are those Linux reference books up to date? Are they really more useful than like just using Google? I use a Linux PC as my daily driver and I know enough to keep the system from breaking, I would like to learn more, but I don't own any reference books and I'm not sure they would still be the best way to learn more. Like a looong time ago my step dad purchased a boxed set for Mandrake Linux, it had a dozen CDs and a thick book, and this was relevant and useful at the time because we were still on dialup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does installing Arch count? :haw: I read the LFS guide a long time ago, and it does seem kinda fascinating. I'm more hoping for a guide for how to make something useful, like a home file server, which I have already done with Ubuntu + Samba. I should have taken the easy way with FreeNAS but thus far it's stable and my files are backed up (scattered across a dozen old hard drives in cold storage).

Darchangel posted:

They look pretty good, with nice detail in the casting. Haven’t actually popped one out of the package yet.
I don’t collect Matchbox per se, but I pick up ones that grab my fancy. HW and Matchbox are both Mattel now. Matchbox just mainly focuses on “everyday” and stock vehicles.
Thanks for explaining that, my toy addiction is ABS crack, although that's getting to be pretty expensive. That said, I only own a couple HW/Matchbox cars, I like realistic cars and especially ones with opening doors, I think that a Matchbox thing.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 14, 2024

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Whatever happened to the truck he who must not be named was trying to resurrect in Nebraska?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is the point of the Ford Godzilla engine? It's a 7.3L gas engine, in superduty pickups it makes 430hp, 475ft-lbs so it's not a really high power output engine, for comparison, a Ford 6.2L V8 is 385hp and 430ft-lbs.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's a replacement for the 6.8 V10, and is the base engine in the F-650 and F-750 and stripped chassis(motorhomes, delivery vans)

Area under the graph is important, It makes 350ft/lbs at the wheels at 2200rpm, the 6.2 doesn't get there until 3500.

Fuel economy at low load will be worse. longevity at high load will be much better.
I've spent way too much time looking at torque curves today but it seems that the 5.4, 5.0, and 6.2 all have typical gas engine style torque curves with low torque at idle leaking around 3-4k RPMs. The Ecoboost, and Godzilla don't have a torque curve, it's just a flat line, and the v10 has a ski slope with peak torque at about idle dropping as the RPMs rise.

What confuses me is why didn't Ford just slap a snail or two onto the 6.2 to get the nice flat torque table? Ford seems to be really pushing EcoBoost engines, it seems a lot of vehicles have a flavor of EcoBoost and now the most powerful f-150 engine is an EcoBoost. At least the 3.5 EcoBoost has a nice flat torque curve good for commercial vehicles, so why not make a larger EcoBoost for commercial vehicles? My best guess is simply durability, the the turbos add a few .ore complex parts making the engine more likely to fail. Similarly, EPA ratings for commercial vehicles are not as strict as the f150 so a small displacement turbo charged engine is not necessary, although I suspect fleet purchases might appreciate pinching s fee more pennies on the fuel budget.

Alternatively, the v-10 seems to prove that mod motors can make low end torque without turbos, why didn't Ford make a 6.2 with a torque curve more like the v-10? Why didn't Ford update the v-10 to make more power? The only major revision I see is changing from 2 valve to 3 valve heads back in 2005 but other mod motors have got lots of new tricks like variable valve timing or direct injection.

I admire Godzilla for it's flat torque curve, and it seems to fill the gap between the 5.0, 6.2 and 6.7 diesel pretty well, but it just seems like a gap filler and outside of commercial vehicles that must use gas instead of diesel I don't think it really is necessary. I think the biggest advantage of Godzilla is simply costing less than a Powerstroke. As a crate engine with boost it seems cool but also kinda seems like overkill for a crate engine. Are there many swaps held back by not being to fit a mod motor that can fit Godzilla?

Despite being critical of Godzilla, I don't think it is necessarily a bad engine, I think it's an impressive cool design. What I dislike about is simply that it's a new design which seems like a lot of money to spend on a niche market, and I think commercial vehicles could have also used another mod motor version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think you misunderestimate the number of F-53/59s ford builds. The Avon Lake plant that only builds 7.3 powered vehicles, most without bodies, has more hourly employees than the flat rock plant that builds 100k mustangs a year. The Windsor engine plant that only builds the 7.3 has more hourly employees than the Essex plant that builds the 5.0

Think of it this way. The 6.2 is a passenger vehicle engine that can tow sometimes. The 7.3 godzilla is a commercial engine that the F350 gets as a treat. The 6.8 V10 is a boat anchor and a half.

I honestly had no idea that Ford gas engines were used in Class A motorhomes, I just assumed they would all be a Cummins or Detroit diesel at this point.

That said, in the F150 today, the 3.5L EcoBoost has a little more power than the 5.0L V8, the EcoBoost also has a slightly higher towing capacity. However, is it safe to say that the the 5.0 V8 is likely to be a more durable engine than the EcoBoost simple due to being a naturally aspirated and lower power engine?