Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommieGIR posted:

"But cosmic radiation is all natural"

- Actual argument I heard from a 5G nutcase.

Can't wait for gamma-ray WiFi, finally a wifi that won't get blocked by walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've always wanted to install front reversing lights on my Saab 900. Today I determined it has the wiring for it.

I also learned, it's a feature that has a lot more to it than just looking cool! It's actually very useful. Apparently Björn Envall (who designed the Saab 900) came up with the feature after he almost backed over the family cat in 1967 because it was dark.

https://www.theautopian.com/carmakers-are-idiots-for-not-appreciating-this-revolutionary-saab-reverse-lamp-breakthrough-2/

I have the wiring, but I there's no hole in the actual lamps, but like, everything is there. I could get some BA15s lamp sockets and drill a fitting hole.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll take some photos of how I'll go about it, I am basing my approach of this guide
https://uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?t=127401

I bought aftermarket BA15s holders. Didn't even realize you could still buy the saab originals. Though 30 euros a piece vs 2.50...

Now this guy in the link mentioned the holders he used made the bulbs sit too far into the light. So I'm gonna see how that works out for me, if I wanna try and find (cheaper) saab parts or figure something else out if I don't like these holders.

He also uses a weaker 5W bulb, service manual specifies 21W bulbs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

DIY'ing electrical work is not unusual in the US, usually anything up to the panel you can legally do yourself. Now, caveat, you should have someone come look at it and sign it off, but in most cases people are just replacing fixtures, outlets, and switches and that's not really something you absolutely have to have an electrician for as long as you know basic electronics and are not an idiot.

Its also important to note most of our electrical is 120/110, so a little bit safer than mucking about in a 240v circuit like you might in the UK or EU. Granted, I did my own 240v wiring for my server rack.

In Finland you can technically pull the wire and connect everything yourself, but leave all the junction boxes and stuff open. Then have a licensed electrician sign off on it, assuming you can get someone to do it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Goddamn how dystopian it is to be afraid of an ambulance picking you up because it's too expensive.

In my own news I entered two of my cars into a value estimator.
'07 yaris diesel with 425,000km on it = 6600€
'05 Mazda with 225,000km on it: 4400€

Lmao none of these cars are worth over 2000€, maybe not even 1500€

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I couldn't get a price estimate on my '90 Saab 900 Turbo, too rare to produce any decent stats I guess. + huge price variations due to individual condition of the cars.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tomarse posted:

My 99's also have the space for the reversing bulb in the front light fittings but no actual bulb holder. I have always meant to get some sockets and fit some too. Let us know how you do it :)

I think your c900 is the same as the 99 also in that it uses dual filament bulbs in every position, so you can mess about and wire up the other filaments for things too if they were not factory wired.
My 1978 99 has the other filament wired as DRL's but they dropped that in the 1980 UK models so you have to wire the other filaments up yourself.

This is basically what I did, I drilled a hole then I filed out a pair of slots on each side, a step drill worked best. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the debris. Also it only uses single filament bulbs.

Now what I discovered was the cheap aftermarket ones I bought would not fit at all. Need the Saab ones, I tried with those holders and it would not go on. But as said in the link I showed you need to file the edges thinner. But I also found if I replaced the gasket with something thinner then it works too.

I'm gonna see if I can buy a 2nd hand indicator light with holders. I just need two of them and it's done. I thought I didn't have the wiring at all on the right side first, couldn't find it. But it was hidden away and ziptied down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Took my Mazda 6 (2005, 225k km on it) and while it passed inspections - it barely passed. The guy was pretty nice about it, a rust hole in the bottom that honestly would've needed me coming back for a re-inspection but he just put a "urging to repair" note on my papers instead.

Great it passed but ugh, mazdas from the mid 2000s are the worst rust buckets...

So I've been dragging my heels on buying a larger floor jack and a pair of jackstands since I hate spending money, even on stuff I want, but I guess I will really need them now. And I need to start reassembling the Saab so I can move it outside while I work on the mazda. At least I got an indoor place to weld nowadays.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's orbin' time

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

By the way is it just me who keeps finding tools in my cars? On the Saab I found a big socket stuck to a nut near the radiator last summer and now I've dug out a pair of tongs from under the drivers sides lights. There's a compartment there where you can drop your tools if you are unlucky. I dropped a wrench there but managed to fish it out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

I swear to god when I move this summer I'm going to find a place with a taller garage.

The rag is on the hood because it's rubbing against the garage door.

I hate that style of door myself, because they steal so much room on the inside that would've been prime real-estate for high cabinets or shelves.

I think we have the same style of ramps.

Also having a big enough outdoor slab to park the car on and work outside in summer is also nice.

e: I type like poo poo in the morning

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 29, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah it's never risen above 95F where I live and it might never even reach that on a given year, you can count the days above 85F on your fingers. People are starting to feel like they're at risk of dying here when it rises above 77F.

Here is Finland btw.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not mine, but a volvo 245 from 1988 with 645,000km on the odometer. It was getting a new rear axle and struts:

All new now though. Good cars!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spotted a white Saab 900 in the wild last night, I've been furloughed (working 2-3 days a week) so I was out walking when it was -16 (it's nice weather to walk in) and a white 900 drives past on the road, later I spot it at the employee parking at the local supermarket. So somebody local owns a white pre-facelift 900 and use it for daily driving. Just makes me feel all warm inside.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Powershift posted:

All the bits are adorably small though. 3.7l of oil, 5.6 liters of coolant, 1.7 liters of transmission fluid, 1.5 liters of diff oil.

My truck takes 16 liters of oil, 37 liters of coolant, 17 liters of transmission fluid, 3.3 liters of diff oil.

I dunno but the first is what I would call normal for a normal sized car, but I suspect the overton window for cars has shifted a lot in the US.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think fuel efficiency and the environment are more important than fun donors being available. More like things got sane for a bit, now back to lovely, for the entire planet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

20mpg is terrible fuel efficiency though, for the average american to drive around in. My coworker drives a big ugly BMW SUV and says it gets 6l/100km which comes to 39mpg. My old Saab 900 turbo gets 29-32mpg and I bet I could get 35+ once I've swapped the primary gear.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mileage is one of the most important factors because it absolutely matters to how much the vehicle will cost me and if I can even drive it as much as I want or if i have to decide to stay home or not.

trilobite terror posted:

I highly doubt this. How old of an SUV? I would be shocked if it got more than 25 mpg. My mom’s old Mercedes ML350 SUV from 2007 with a V6 got like 16-19.

The incoming Tacoma with a turbocharged four cylinder hybrid tops out at like 26-29 mpg and people are thrilled.

Looks newish, 2015 maybe. But maybe cars geared at this market are more fuel efficient because fuel is a lot more expensive here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I did get 7l/100km or 33mpg from the one american car I owned, which had a L98 TPI engine (5.7l V8), that was doing 300km one way basically on cruise control at 90kph the whole way during the night. Not bad at all for a 91 Trans Am. I don't think whoever owns it now drives it much. Fuel cost was a big reason I sold it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hers and don't know, need to ask and find out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Raluek posted:

i take the opposite view. fuel economy is the last consideration. it's ok to spend money on your hobbies, and who cares how much an activity costs if it's unenjoyable? the value proposition of "how much do i like this" per "how much does this cost" still goes to zero if it's no fun, no matter how small you make the denominator. sure, if i could triple my economy and get 20s around town for free i would, but not if it means cutting into the reasons i really like the car.

that reminds me, i just got a vacuum advance distributor for it a couple weeks ago, so i should be able to bump up my cruising mpg a little bit without any penalty. that's worth doing.

Check your economic privilege. It's absolutely zero fun to have limited funds and just burn them on fuel.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 12, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wistful of Dollars posted:

That’s what my 4 cylinder Mazda 3 gets. I highly doubt that’s what they’re getting.

I don't personally, that's about what my old mazda 6 gets (6-7l/100km) and after so me googling, about what I've seen cited by drivers of BMW X3s (I think this is the car my coworker drives) when I've looked on local car forums, older models report higher values as is expected. The diesels have been reported as getting better mileages than that even on long trips. I haven't talked to my coworker because I am furloughed, but I think she might have the diesel.

We're talking mostly "highway" mileage btw for our kind of driving, not city. We're all living in a rural area here, driving 80-100kph country roads mostly here and little urban driving. I've noticed americans tend to cite higher mileages despite similar vehicles and I wonder if that's because you tend to drive faster on your roads than anyone except the autobahn drivers in europe do. It's not the first time I've noticed this.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 12, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I notice the speeds you're talking, doing 80mph (129kph) and 90mph (144kph). Those are not common speeds here. In fact there's nowhere in Finland you can drive 140 on a public road and not instalose your license and get hefty fines if caught.

Max legally you can drive anywhere is 120kph or just under 75mph and let me tell you cops here care a lot more about people adhering to speed limits than they do in america, there are no unspoken rules about flow of traffic or the like. Never mind the constant expansion of traffic cameras. My own experience is traffic closely follows the signed speeds with a few exceptions.

So I dunno if it's humanly possible (and without getting shot at by other people on the road) for you to drive say 60 for a few dozen miles, but I think you'd be getting different mileages then. I certainly notice mileage gets affected a lot by speeds over 100kph.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do think I am lucky that my commute is just 25km of straight road with more animals than cars most of the time, not a single light, just 60/80/100 areas, in winter time all 100kph areas are 80 kph. So I might cruise at 90 most of the way in winter.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spotted another 900 last night at the auto supply store. And then a few hours later I saw another 900 at the supermarket. Two 900s in one day in a village of a few hundred.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Advent Horizon posted:

We splurged for Petzl headlamps a few years ago and they will take AAAs if the USB-chargeable battery dies. The removable battery is also handy for traveling with them since it doesn’t add much to my carry-on.

I used to have a Petzl, wonder where it went. Given the price it wasn't high quality enough though. Thing broke early on and I had to tape it together. I am looking for something I could mount on a welding helmet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think mazda trucks outside of the US or North America ever went ford.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The modern trend of lower profile tires with smaller sidewalls don't help suspension feel I would think. And run flat tires make this worse still I believe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You don't have to cut up a toilet brush, you can get those brushes ready with a shank for an impact. I use them to clean the wheels on the car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Read an article in a swedish magazine about led lights in cars and the average lifespan is around 15 years and a typical replacement cost is around 1500$\€. So that means the yearly cost is 150 bucks if they last that long.

To me this shows that technological progress is being hijacked or enshittified by companies using it as a way to make more money of the customer. And I don't think it's only LED lights that's affected.

I am 100% convinced that you could make a modern led light for a car and base it around some relatively cheap standardized led bulb that is as easy as an H4 to replace. If you wanted to. But nobody wants to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I saw a hummer last night. It wasn't that big compared to some SUVs and trucks I see. I remember when the Hummer was talked about when it was new because of how big and wasteful it was.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pretty sure the main cop killer is the humble donut

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only good use for Imperial sockets is when you round off a metric nut you can hammer a size too small imperial onto it to use a large breaker bar.

I found a 9/32 socket worked well on hose clamps that would otherwise take a 7mm socket, was often hard to get the 7m on. But a 9/32 had just the right amount of slop to work.

SpeedFreek posted:

A full set of torx, seems like they're all over anything newer than 2000s vintage. Like mentioned earlier the tools I would bring with are very dependent on what I'd be going after.

19mm - 3/4 and 8mm - 5/16 are the only two sizes I found to interchange across every tool brand I've used. The cheaper the hardware or tools the more the different standards are interchangeable.

Saab really pioneered the use of Torx in cars. There's torx bolts and screws everywhere in my 900. Even in places where a hex bolt might have been better.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 14, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NoWake posted:

Ahh, the 9/32" socket. I had to chase one down for a 12-point, and ended up settling on a stubby box end wrench that size to take bolts off a clutch plate. Frustratingly, 7mm wasn't fitting, 8mm was way too sloppy, and like hell was I going to round some specialty bolts off by attempting a mismatch.

After both mega-hardware stores and 3rd auto parts store, finally found one at O'Reilly

I found this box of cheap sockets with a ratchet, both metric and imperial for 5 euros in a 2nd hand shop.

It has a lot of imperial sizes I never knew existed. It's actually been quite useful I wish I had bought two of them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Humphreys posted:

It's Tri-nocular! I just havent paid the dumb money for cameras yet. Also found out my cheap 18650 scope can run off USB as a Webcan and fits in the 3rd hole

For mutant imperial leaders?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Echoing a lot of my own sentiments here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNKN95v7huk

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I heard Tesla has removed the indicator light stalk from their cars? I got explained to me that this is good because the cars navigation software can signal instead for you, humans are poor at this. And I was going huh? I only use the navigator app (google maps on my phone lol) when I go to a new place and I can't find my way.

Nah man, you use the navigator every day even going to the supermarket, what if it shows bad traffic congestion or something else?

Well to that I say
-I'm old and I don't like new things

And that makes me right.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah don't drive in Scandinavia or Finland if you think that's weird, you will get tickets.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

About time, Euro NCAP will deduct points for lack of physical controls for important functions from 2026:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

I didn't see the Ars article mention which functions but a swedish site says "blinkers, hazard lights, windscreen wipers, horn and SOS functions" are the ones which need physical controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Right, then, nu ska vi se va farbror frej tar fram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHoPCOX14rA