Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Happy New Year, folks. My resolution: try to keep up with this thread more than I did last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My whole family got hit hard by rotovirus or some similar bug that makes you throw up while you're pooping your brains out. I probably changed my son's diaper once every 15 minutes during the worst of it. I think we're all on the mend now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My car's radio started making the most awful loud static noises today. Two things changed since yesterday: a shop had it for a few hours to mount a tire, and the temperature dropped to well below freezing. gently caress, I don't feel like chasing down audio issues.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kastivich posted:

My friend's 955 developed the same issue. Static and popping when the temp dropped. It ended up being the amp.

Maybe it'll fix itself if I wait until the temperature rises and don't do something foolish like drive to Alaska next month.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

We don't use ground wires here, the metal conduit is the ground wire. And I meant it as a statement of why those rules don't really apply to regular home repair, because the spirit of those extremely strict laws is to protect the city from lawsuits by skyscrapers filled with people, not make sure a bungalow in Garfield Park has the right kind of outlet

A friend of mine is an electrician in Chicago and he insists on putting a bare copper ground wire in conduit in case somebody uses their conduit as a pull-up bar and breaks the ground path that way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I got called beautiful by a stranger in public for the first time! I'm awkward as gently caress, so I said thank you a bunch of times and practically ran away, but she made my entire week :swoon:

You've had all the CT scans, right, no internal bleeding or swelling? I can practically read the post concussive symptoms in your post, and hearing that you "probably" have broken ribs does not fill me with confidence that you should lose consciousness alone. Wishing you the best man

Practically?

quote:

Random person claiming to be a nurse drove me to the emergency room after confirming nothing critical was broken. I know she had black scrubs on with her name embroidered, said she worked in a nearby hospital. The color of scrubs suggested ER doctor. I was in no shape to argue - she helped me into the back of her car and asked if it was too painful to put on the seat belt (no). Black scrubs with both local hospital systems denote a full blown ER doctor - or denotes a full vet

my gf isn't speaking to me

I know the person who took me to the hospital works in medical care of some kind. I don't know if they're the one who hit me or not (I think the car in front of them did). She had black scrubs with an ambroidered name, so I'm assuming either an ER doc or a vetrenarian.

my GF won't even talk to me now

You're concussed. You need to be evaluated for that. If you need somebody who isn't concussed to have a conversation with your girlfriend to figure out why she's not speaking to you, I'm sure any of us could do it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In the past few days, Amazon Logistics have left one of their big totes and a pretty nice hand truck in my front yard. Ethically how concerned do I have to be about returning the hand truck vs enjoying my windfall?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I swear to god when I move this summer I'm going to find a place with a taller garage.

The rag is on the hood because it's rubbing against the garage door.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This is on my list for the “next house” as well, mostly so I can install and use a lift or two. I’m very tired of crawling under cars. A separate shop would be ideal.
Life goals.

Next house is going to be yet another rental. My wife will start her first real deal doctor job this summer so we're going to rent for another year in that area, and if she doesn't hate the facility then we'll start home shopping in earnest. A lift and a separate shop would be amazing.

Work temporarily suspended this afternoon because my son fell asleep on my arm. :3:

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also having a big enough outdoor slab to park the car on and work outside in summer is also nice.

I've got a decent outdoor slab, but it's been raining. I wanted to nose into the garage to stay dry.

I think those ramps are actually underrated for my car. I think they say 1 ton on the sticker -- if that's 1 ton for the pair, the front end of the cayenne is probably 1.5 tonnes. I didn't need to get under the truck so it wasn't too terrible.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

He moved to the wrong state if he wants to avoid more old Subarus.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

YouTube can kiss my rear end for making this a short instead of a video, but I was looking for content on YouTube to passively show off this 32:9 monitor and one of the options was a gameplay video of Stray. My wife captured this adorable video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjr3sfAEneM

fake edit: SA parsed it into a video link! Yay! And also still gently caress you YouTube

Your cat definitely "Long live the king!"'d the cat from Stray.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to make a turbodiesel-electric plugin hybrid. Just a diesel and a generatoe and an EV drivetrain.

Dreams.

Neil Young's electric Lincoln Continental uses a 30 kW microturbine generator.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Cries in 1993 Mazda B2600i

That's just a Ford Ranger, isn't it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'll just have to buy a 911 if my golf bag won't fit in a full-sized pickup.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My two year old is going through it. This morning's tantrum started when I wouldn't let him play in the cat's water bowl and just escalated from there. We're trying to teach him not to throw things, and it's not going great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

why millimeters.

I'd get even centimeters but why millimeters.

Another example of how terrible and counterintuitive the metric system is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I have been nerdsniped. ASME b18.2.2 (page 25) specifies the minimum and maximum wrench opening for a given nut size of

code:
minimum = nominal_width + 0.005*nominal_width + 0.001
maximum = minimum + 0.005*nominal_width + 0.004
Then I made a spreadsheet, assuming metric sockets should follow the same standard. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1kxZZCd6kv8cVOH1yp1-A5AnOTuSnPM2ORsXwf-i_M/edit?usp=sharing

There's remarkably little overlap if you want the kind of tolerances described in ASME b18.2.2. 5/16 definitely works for 8mm, and 3/4 definitely works for 19mm. If your socket set is on the large end of the allowable size, then 11mm works for 7/16, 5/8 works for 16mm, 22mm works for 7/8, and 15/16 works for 24mm.

I didn't calculate "this socket is larger, but not so large that it just spins" because that's how you round off nuts. I started doing the math to figure out "this socket is larger, but not so large that it just spins", and most sockets will "work" for at least one, up to five, smaller nuts.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You should get a complete set of sockets in tap drill sizes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

My Toyotas use hardly any 10mm but a ton of 11mm (or 13mm) since that’s the JIS head size.

Maybe they're 10mm heads that have rusted into 11mm.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

imperial sizes I never knew existed

I had a poorly translated instruction manual tell me to use a 1/5" drill bit once. That's an imperial size I never knew existed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dubai only functions as a city because of a steady stream of oil money. Once that dries up, it's all over.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Biden has committed to rebuilding the bridge. I imagine there will be a long, drawn out finger pointing game between Baltimore and the ship's insurer, but the process of rebuilding the bridge from scratch will also be long, so starting soon is important.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The little man helped me replace a taillight assembly today.

Then he got his hand on an impact driver and I had to keep him from "fixing" the paint on my driver's side door.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

How the gently caress did I know?

Is there anyone famous from back then who wasnt: racist, anti-gay or didn't have sex with girls under the age of 18?

Fred Rogers, probably.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pick and pull haul (with donor)

I got a washer fluid reservoir and more wire pigtail than I need from a VW Touareg. There was an Audi Q7 that was pretty well picked over, but the VW had some good parts. The washer fluid bottle looks pretty close to what I need. If not, I'm only out $20.

Victory lunch

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just put Convoy by C. W. McCall on repeat.

https://youtu.be/d9BWlGP_DJw?si=bRQWFRQi_TBvE-CG

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ya boy just spent a solid ten minutes trying to figure out the directionality of BFG Tail Terrain T/A tires, which are non directional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had some kid troll me when I was selling some fishing stuff, lowballing and trying to be funny asking dumb questions so I played along for a bit before deleting it

Turns out it was one of my son's buddies from school and he had no idea, he was just randomly trolling and my son was like uh that's my dad :v:

If you still have some of the fishing stuff, you should just give it to the kid.