Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Welcome to 2024, AI Goons!

We made sausages for the first time (they turned out AMAZING), had friends over, lit things on fire, and blew things up, had some fog roll in, which made the explosions look pretty cool.

I didn't accomplish most of what I wanted in 2023, but I did get my Husqvarna running and go riding towards the end, which is a small victory.

Hopefully 2024 comes with a different shift at work, a few lovely weddings, including my own, and maybe I'll fix up all the shitboxes littering my yard (Focus, FZ6, and Mustang, in order of priority).

What's everyone else's plans for 2024?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A huge earthquake just hit off the coast of Japan, and the whole north coast is under a tsunami warning. So 2024's off to a rocky start.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bagged wine is the perfect beverage for floating down a river, since you can tie it to your tube and keep it cool.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh man, got a great start to 2024.

I'm hoping the upcoming cold snap from hell* doesn't ruin it.

*I won't be home, and my house can't care for itself. Got a load of firewood and built the most hillbilly horseshit roof possible over the heat pump, so hoping my fiance can manage it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I bet if you can get one of the aforementioned younger people to tip it over and drain out the old fuel/refill with new, yank the cord and it will probably start up after a few pulls. I deal with the same issues at my mom's house and Sta-Bil only goes so far. Starting fluid might get it running but it will keep dying/run like poo poo.

I've had really good luck getting small engines to run well enough to operate/burn through the bad gas with a little starting fluid.

Last weekend I was fighting with my mom's 20 year old Honda engined Chicago Electric generator, since there's a chance of a nasty storm this weekend, drained the bad gas and filled 'er up with Tru fuel, hopefully I won't have to touch that PoS for a few more years.

I need to put in a NG powered backup generator at her place soon, or just buy her an EFI touch start gen set.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Humphreys posted:

We've got some boomer idiot in my area putting up "Keep Suburb_Name WIFI Free" signs all over town. loving idiot. They are putting up a 5G Tower. At least get your conspiracy correct dumbass.

LMAO, that should be a successful campaign.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The low teens may not be keeping propane liquid at ambient pressure, but it sure messes stuff up in a place not built for that climate. Despite a space heater in the pump house, and another in the crawlspace, and trickling the faucets, my pipes froze (as did about a hundred other people's in my town, based on FB posts begging for plumbers). Turns out the idiots that built this sketch-rear end water system put the meter in at ground level. Got it flowing again today after some troubleshooting and a heat gun and welding blanket, assisted by just-above-freezing temperatures, but man what a pain in the rear end.

Jammed a 75 watt incandescent bulb in there as a temporary heat source for now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do you have another breaker for something you could live without you could swap it with short-term? Water heater or range maybe?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Toggle switch across hot and neutral in a box on a line cord :ninja:

Good way to find any bad connections in the line, especially if you have a Zinsco or FPE panel.

I like that there's 6 20A circuits in my kitchen.

1 is dedicated to the fridge (good!)
1 is a single outlet next to the sink.
1 is every single other outlet in the kitchen, including an outdoor one.
3 are ????:confused:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Humphreys posted:

My post is a 'how to' on insulting americans and/or british.

I used to wire up military aircraft. I still get an electrician to do anything mains level in my house. Do you all not have certificates of work incase something fucks up that the law/insurance can go after when poo poo goes bad?

When I worked with my dad, he had a buddy who was a Boeing electrician, all he did was run harness in aircraft (which, tbf, is a skill all of its own) he stole thousands of feet of cable from the job and decided to use it to wire a little machine shop he was building.

Everything was like 24-16ga, it all formed impromptu fuses when he powered the machines on, we came in and fixed it.

Anyways, now I'm just a mechanic and have been for over a decade, electrons are perfidious and should not be trusted.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Earlier someone said "just hire an electrician", got pushback, and this is why I just pay experts now. Happy for everyone who saved the $300 doing it themselves and driving to Home Depot repeatedly, though.

I make sure all the 3000psi hydraulic lines in my house are 37⁰ flare so I don't have to run to the hardware store multiple times.

E: and because I'm not a monster who uses NPT for hydraulic applications.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The lazy-man's socket weld: screw NPT stainless fittings together and run a bead around the outside.

E: I am completely broke, but my house will crumble around the plumbing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

Somewhat related, Loctite/Henkel actually make a sealant that is hydraulic compatible. It can even be used on a sealing face in case it gets scratched/damaged.

I really wish I could use thread sealant, the piece of equipment I was mad at when I replied about NPT earlier is this janky pos, thread tape only because engineers can't be bothered to look up another Qualified Product, the SS galls to itself non-stop, our 10+ years experience techs won't stop putting thread tape on the 37⁰ fittings, which makes THEM gall, it's a man-portable piece of equipment, rated to a maximum of 120PSIG, but uses a 3000PSIG rated accumulator, so it weighs 80 lbs (but is marked as "about 50 lbs" on the name plate, put a stop to that poo poo and put "two person lift" stickers all over it).

Anyways, I like o-rings.

SpeedFreek posted:

Sounds like you plumbed your house with swagelok tube and fittings. "Yeah it cost me a fortune but no leaks."

Swagelok has a lovely display at the Albany Airport.

Team Swagelock for lyfe, suck it Parker.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

I wish STR/Random Idiot the best, I really do.

We all (or most of us) remember when the guy whose name we try not to mention made his fire filled departure from the forums.
A gang of motherfuckers here basically said "the one thing that all of your hosed up relationships have in common is YOU".

Perhaps the same thing applies here.

I wouldn't compare the two, personally.

I'm glad AI has good mods who dealt with this as gently as they could.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress I wish I had an actual garage.

Raluek posted:

your point makes sense to me.

Yeah, having issues with substance abuse will, in fact, destroy your entire life, and the worse it gets the more cognitive dissonance your brain applies to protect itself, and allow it to continue to receive what it needs.

The big difference here is one poster is fundamentally a piece of poo poo, the other is, afaict, a good guy, despite his issues, and it feels kinda dirty to keep discussing his life after he's been forcibly ejected from the forums.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hmm, I like that idea, but I think building a whole new one at the end of my driveway near the house would be a better bet. Need to see if I can get a seperate service for it too.

I'm starting on the house again in March, my old tech who left to go be a GC gave me a quote I can't refuse for the upstairs, and he's willing to just let me do the parts I want to do to save cost, hopefully kitchen and downstairs bath next year, and the house'll be done and I can focus on fun projects like a new garage.

The floor near the toilet goes down about 1/2" when I walk on it right now, hopefully that doesn't somehow get worse.

E: I'm also working 5x12s + 1x8 for the foreseeable future, so I dunno how I'm going to keep the lawn mowed much less built anything.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 29, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

drat. That is a bummer and a half.

I just got done replacing all of the stupid-rear end dimmers that were in my basement. It'd be one thing if they were good ones, but they're the awful ones that are built to fit in a regular switch plate so it's a skinnier toggle with the tiny little slider next to it. I just spent the last however long replacing TEN of them with regular switches. No, previous owner, the lights in the little storage area with the water shutoff don't need to be dimmed. Neither does the light above the shower in the bathroom. Neither do any other of these drat lights. Plus side is that now I know which lights are on which breakers. PO did a real boner of a job with the breaker labeling. I need to get some new labels and redo them so they make sense.

Next step is figuring out all the outlets. :negative:

I loathe the Decora form-factor, so I only get the little skinny toggle+slider ones.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh god you just reminded me that I have to replace this stupid loving dimmer combo switch from like 1996 that only has 1 purple wire leaving the switch and controlling both the fan and lights. I'm not daisy chaining the fan and light contacts together or buying a special switch so that the next guy asks "what the gently caress?", so I've got to pull the stupid loving fan off the ceiling and see what's actually going on, bare minimum running another wire to the switch box

I’ve given up on the circuits for now, I just cut all the power. The house has had so many DIY wiring jobs that the basement lights are on the same circuit as 3 outlets on the floor above and the garage is on the same circuit as one outlet in the kitchen

There's a little control unit in the fan, and that switch is a glorified remote, you can get new control units that use an actual remote, if you're inclined.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I literally could not find one that was not some sort of white or grey. There was ONE blue one that was beautiful but it was like 90k and wasn't even a Platinum. No thanks.

Come post pictures and give your thoughts in the EV thread!

kastein posted:

It's too bad you didn't go with stop sign red so you could just get Milwaukee M400 Fuel decals made and put them on it.

That would be kickin' rad. Especially if you paired it with a camper shell shaped like a Milwaukee battery with "M400" on it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a decent image sharing service anymore? Imgur blows.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Captain McAllister posted:

How long until a vanlifer gets their hands on one?

It looks perfect for driving down the PCH at 10 MPH.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Full size pick ups are so stupidly large that the HEV isn't particularly noteworthy for anything other than its weight

And accelerating 0-60 in 3.1 seconds in "Watts-to-Freedom" mode!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The godawful takes about the bridge collapse being the fault of woke DEI just leave me gobsmacked how goddamn stupid anyone has to be to say that

A certain fucko is responsible for that, "DEI" is getting thrown around as a general insult for PoC now. It's infuriating, and none of these racist fucks even understands what DEI is.

In unrelated stupid bridge news, here's a far mongering article from a local source.

1: The bridge construction is "steel truss" like >50% of the bridges in this country.

2: this bridge is on the other side of a small lock, the largest vessel I can find currently on the bridge side of the lock is less than 1/100th the mass of the ship that hit the Key Bridge.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love replacing something that lasted 10 years, and turning it into a 6-12 month maintenance item, because the OEM part costs as much as the car, and everything else is a random grab-bag quality wise.

Ignition coils/coilpacka are the main offender IME.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Just wear some Lederhosen and put on Autobahn.

efb

I Drove All Night by Roy Orbison for actual contribution
Pacific Coast Highway by Kavinsky

Also Nightcall by Kavinsky

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Raluek posted:

the first cake song that comes to mind for me is Satan Is My Motor

For real?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Last night I was out on my deck and heard a big crash, then saw a truck towing a trailer way too fast down the street (trailer was going airborne over bumps)

Turns out the crash was him ramming my garbage can.

Thanks dude!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

By that logic, I'm already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That looks like it's in great condition for its age.

My dad used to tell me stories about how much he hated working on those things back in the 60s