Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, first thing I would try is some sort of flammable aerosol. Starting fluid, brake cleaner, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've had to babysit my exterior faucets some and I needed a bit of a running start to get up my driveway but otherwise I have, fortunately, not been particularly impacted by the cold/snow. The potential ice storm tomorrow may prove to be a bigger deal.

e: once again feeling smug with my car in the garage instead of outside covered in snow like all my neighbors.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 16, 2024

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Circuit breaker finders are cheap and don't require flipping breakers. You plug one device into an outlet and then run the other device across the breakers in the panel and it beeps when you've got the matching breaker. Might have to make a couple passes due to false positives but otherwise it's pretty straight forward to use. I've got an Amprobe BT-120 but there are a lot of options.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

The problem isn't so much using thread sealant itself, as with most things, It's doing it improperly.

QuickJack agrees based on the page and a half in the QuickJack manual about thread sealants and how to not gently caress up thread tape.

quote:

Liquid Thread Sealant or Thread Seal Tape?
We have found that much QuickJack criticism or
warranty-related claims were caused by Hydraulic
Fluid contamination, with evidence of Thread Seal
Tape particles inside the Power Unit components
and the Reservoir.
To prevent this contamination, QuickJack is supplying a Liquid Thread Sealant in lieu of Thread Seal
Tape. If you want to use Thread Seal Tape over Liquid Thread Sealant, by all means, use what you are
most familiar with. However, you must carefully read and use the following instructions.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My vaccine reactions have never been more than a slightly sore arm...up until Octoberish last year when I got both the covid and flu vaccine. I woke up about 1am feeling incredibly cold and could barely stumble my way to the closet for another blanket. Spent a couple hours violently, full body, shivering and felt not great the next day. Still a vastly better experience than the time I actually got the flu and probably better than getting covid but I've yet to have that so idk.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If my Fit ever dies it will get replaced with a BEV*, but until then I'll keep buying ~10 gallons of gas every 2-3 months. Work from home has made fuel efficiency a bit irrelevant to me.

*Probably buying a Ridgeline soon which would mean I no longer need the carrying capacity of the Fit and could replace it with a Miata instead.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bought my first ever new vehicle (and most expensive by like 4x) a 2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL. It's so smooth and quiet compared to my 08 Fit that I don't know if I'm going to keep dailying the Fit as I had planned. The 2024s have a few upgrades, the only one I really care being wireless android auto, but the 2023 was a fair bit cheaper and 0.9% financing. The dealership tried to force me to pay $800 something for paint sealant "we do that for every vehicle we sell, and it's already been applied we can't do anything about it now" but when I said 'ok then let's cancel all this' and got up to leave they were suddenly able to drop that charge.

Just need my insurance agent to do their thing so I can put on some miles. Too bad the rain is going to resume tonight and continue for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It probably could benefit but I don't expect it would make much difference. It's a very good car but it's still an inexpensive city car. There isn't much sound dampening and there is a lot of glass so a lot of exterior sounds make it inside. There's a lot of wind noise even at just highway speeds and legal interstate speeds are about 4k rpm. It's not at all uncomfortable but all of it kind of adds up. Even with many fewer miles the suspension didn't really soak up the bumps but the tires are a much bigger component. I've got a Sport with the 15" wheel vs the 14" that the base model gets. Everything else is the same though so I dropped down to 14" wheels for my winter tires and the extra sidewall makes it ride so much better. In retrospect, I probably should have just bought another set of 14" steelies with summer tires years ago.

Doing some of the more involved maintenance tasks that I've been wanting to do will be a lot easier, or at least less stressful, now that I have an alternate vehicle. It was a lot easier when I was still living near my parents and could borrow a vehicle or have someone pick up a part if my car could not move. It will hopefully be a lot easier once the quickjacks arrive, but I ordered mine on black friday and they're still backordered so I've got no idea when that will be.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I saw a cybertruck in the wild and it looks worse in person than in photos. I overheard someone say "That's a tesla? I thought it was someone's DIY car." and I think that pretty well sums it up.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The NTSB did a media briefing a bit ago but they don't have any details yet. Maybe tomorrow we'll have some facts.

Until then here's some commentary from someone well versed in shipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

e: he put out another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39w6aQFKSQ

Galler fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 26, 2024

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got mine at least a decade ago and there's easily another decade or two remaining. Probably the latter since I've mostly switched to using threadlocker for fasteners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I hope my bike gets totaled by someone insured without any injuries. I'll buy it back and make a sweet table or something out of the engine. I like it too much to get rid of it but I really should get rid of it.