Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

fknlo posted:

And now my furnace seems to not be working. loving awesome. I've tried flipping all the breakers, emergency heat, temp changes, etc...

Is it the draft pump or sensor? My older furnace wouldn't turn on the gas and light up unless it sensed a positive draft through the chimney stack, and the motor that generated the draft wouldn't run because the turbine housing was full of condensate. I could hear the turbine blades slushing through the water in there.

I ran my house on space heaters for 4 days until a new draft motor could come in - spent $400 on it, but saved the $999 a service call would have cost me plus waiting like one day less if they had a spare on the truck.

See if you can manually spin the thing, or if it spins at all, might be a popped fuse in the circuit that drives it. Could be a place to start, goonspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Safety Dance posted:

In the past few days, Amazon Logistics have left one of their big totes and a pretty nice hand truck in my front yard. Ethically how concerned do I have to be about returning the hand truck vs enjoying my windfall?

A few weeks after I'd moved into a new house, someone walking past left a shopping cart in my yard. I went over to the store and let them know, left my # and told the manager if they decided they wanted it back, it'd be ready on my porch. *I* didn't take it, and I'm not exactly excited about the prospect of walking it back empty if it's going to happen all the time.

A month passed and nobody came to take it off my porch. It's a nice cart. Sturdy, rolls smooth. But what in the world am I going to do with it?

Oh, now I know.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

mariooncrack posted:

What kind of engine is that?

This is VW's 16-valve motor and 5-speed trans I'd pulled from a '89 GLI I'd scrapped out. I ran it 300 miles directly before pulling it, ran great no issues at all, figured it would be a shame to part it out. I have the intake and headers and fuel rails and wiring harness hiding inside the shell of another GLI, the cart makes it easy to keep shoving the block out of sight.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The folks that made the flip video camera back in like 2005 realized this, it's a thing of ergonomics. Filming in portrait is always so awkward for a hand to do.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

If you have enough wire, can't you just buy some wire connectors from napa, or some electronics store, cut the old ones off and wire up the new ones?

E: I don't know how good these particular ones are, but this is definitely available to us commoners.
https://www.amazon.ca/TING-Waterpro...f9e6ba75b58d22d

Then you just get wire of the appropriate gauge and colour bing bang boom. Start selling this poo poo to your fellow old people.

E2: This one is more expensive but it looks to be GM connectors:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0004-og4

CommieGIR has been designing & 3d printing connectors for their ancient Audis lately; until factory harnesses start going with twisted pairs, I feel like we're coming up on a golden age of DIY for this stuff.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Got ya.
This is something I've actually wondered recently. What types of systems might rely on resistance (among other things) to function properly where adding an extra length of wire for *some reason that might be somewhat valid at the time* might cause a malfunction due to too much resistance in the circuit.

Or possibly not enough resistance.

Mayyyybe a thermocouple, where two wires of dissimilar metals joined at a hot end will create a voltage between them at the cold end. I forget if length is a concern. Also with network cable (which wiring harnesses more and more are turning out to be) twisted pairs help reduce crosstalk, so maybe a couple of straight strands cut-in between might foul some things up.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Powershift posted:

Bring a parachute.

It wouldn't be illegal to bring on a flight, would it? It strikes me as something that, if noticed, would land you in a room with a table, a camera, and three aluminum chairs.

But just how hilarious would it have been for preparation to meet opportunity when that door blew off. Just loving LOL.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

His Divine Shadow posted:

I found a 9/32 socket worked well on hose clamps that would otherwise take a 7mm

Ahh, the 9/32" socket. I had to chase one down for a 12-point, and ended up settling on a stubby box end wrench that size to take bolts off a clutch plate. Frustratingly, 7mm wasn't fitting, 8mm was way too sloppy, and like hell was I going to round some specialty bolts off by attempting a mismatch.

After both mega-hardware stores and 3rd auto parts store, finally found one at O'Reilly

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
What's amazing is that you couldn't have picked a better time of day for this tragedy to occur. 30,000 ADT and the whole span taken down in seconds, resulting in 6 lives lost? We're lucky this figure didn't have a comma.

But then it's a punch in the gut when you realize that the 6 souls lost, were only on the bridge at that specific time, doing their work because of the low traffic volume.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Just heard they're canceling the drat eclipse over the anticipated traffic issues. All the small towns in the path of totality can't deal with the influx of people, saying the strained road network will hurt emergency response times. It's a bunch of bullshit if you ask me, I was really looking forward to this. :mad:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Darchangel posted:

I have news about celestial mechanics and how that related to what we tiny carbon based infestation think and feel.

I got a few people with this, for about 38 seconds until they realized what day it is :laugh:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The Presidents of the United States of America - Mach 5

The Presidents of the United States of America - Dune Buggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

trilobite terror posted:

think about your dad

wanna troll that dad

My friend and I were both kids of divorce, and both our dads lived in the same town about 30 miles away from where we did. Same neighborhood, just blocks away actually, but they didn't know each other or who any of our friends or anything. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Once when I was in the 5th grade, I went and visited my buddy while he was at his dad's for visitation, it must have been over spring break. My own dad had no idea I was in town, had no reason to expect me, and I didn't reach out to let him know. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Anyway, my friend and I walked over to my dad's place while he was at work, got inside and turned all the lights on and the TV, opened the cupboards and closet doors, took the phone off the hook, poured a bowl of cereal and left it, ran a tub of water and threw towels in it, basically did everything we could think of short of actually trashing or destroying anything. Locked up, re-hid the spare key and left.

He never spoke of it to me, but I remember hearing him tell a friend about the time his house got broken into. He moved 2,000 miles away when I was in 7th grade, so I feel it was pretty good timing on my part.