Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

These should be standard issue.

https://twitter.com/SaruulbilegE/status/1741017250524729557?t=6VP_U28JoS-oYBB9T8vDYA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

big dong wanter posted:

You think you are feeling smug, I just spent the day at the beach on the clock. Was a nice 30c

Hell yeah :cheers:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Ticked over another digit on the odometer of life. Time to get drunk and enjoy an RDO weekend.

Happy birthday!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tinned owl posted:

I'm am enginamneer (though far less hands on than Kastein) and I've never heard of the ORB ones, I'll go look them up and ponder them later

New orbs to ponder? What a day!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Glad to hear Rhyno is doing better, now hope randomidiot manages to dig himself out of yet another calamity. Dude's leading a cursed life and I'm not sure it's particularly fair though every new story is another example of the US loving people over in a new and 'fun' way.

Godspeed to all goons going through the ringer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gotta drive my lounge around with me while I sit in static traffic because we refuse to invest in public transport.

Driving for fun is great. Commuting is the worst thing ever invented, just slightly less bad than the 5 day work week in which 95% of workers have the exact same working hours which also happen to coincide with school hours which means all of traffic is on the roads in the same ~90 minute slots at each end of those 5 days.

Modern life is incredibly dumb.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I don't know where else to put this but my sister is a glorious idiot and this is her dog that she decided to take to get some photos done for valentine's day because?! :v:

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1757117406994932091?t=CUtiH2BsPHAPR1pfxj-LIw&s=19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

yeah mpg definitely drops by a lot if you do much/most of your driving at technically-illegal-but-colloquially-acceptable American highway speeds, which many goons do everyday myself included

Who was the goon that thought driving faster didn't lower mpg nor produce more pollution? I would like to laugh at them again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

It is time for you to get Helldivers 2, friends.

One part Starship Troopers, one part Terminator, a heaping tablespoon of of Star Wars vehicles and then add another few ounces of Space WWI and muddle with half of a Space Vietnam. Awesome music, awesome one-liners, fully entertaining with your gaming buddies.

Sounds like nerd poo poo.

it does look fun

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

!!

https://twitter.com/TrinityGFrancis/status/1762082802718142756?t=2aoD9AMDlAB955pRXOOmTg&s=19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

big dong wanter posted:

UPDATE: came extremely close to being killed on the job today, took tomorrow off and im going to do some industrial strength day drinking to cope with it. gonna update the resume tomorrow, this paycheck is NOT worth the risk

Risk on injury at whatever the gently caress you do is far too high considering you lost a colleague the other day, the gently caress?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Read an article in a swedish magazine about led lights in cars and the average lifespan is around 15 years and a typical replacement cost is around 1500$\€. So that means the yearly cost is 150 bucks if they last that long.

To me this shows that technological progress is being hijacked or enshittified by companies using it as a way to make more money of the customer. And I don't think it's only LED lights that's affected.

I am 100% convinced that you could make a modern led light for a car and base it around some relatively cheap standardized led bulb that is as easy as an H4 to replace. If you wanted to. But nobody wants to.

I feel like headlight tech has evolved to surface of the sun brightness to try and combat car interiors now being lit up because woo LCD screens everywhere! Of course those headlights are also 'smart' which means they can charge the earth for whatever garbage they load into them (they don't loving work either which makes it worse).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheBacon posted:

More dangerous than cops that’s for sure

I once read pizza delivery is more dangerous than being a cop.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Advent Horizon posted:

I wonder what all falls under the ‘logging’ category because when I worked at the zipline our insurance classified us as loggers.

That sounds like a good way to get you to pay way more money than you probably should have been.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So all the poo poo going on with Boeing and a whistleblower is found dead in his truck outside the hotel he was staying at whilst giving legal interviews about all of his claims?

That's not suspicious at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68534703

Anyway I'm going on a Boeing next week so if I don't chat bullshit for a while then I have died in a lovely plane made by corner-cutting arseholes and you need to avenge me. Thank you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only good use for Imperial sockets is when you round off a metric nut you can hammer a size too small imperial onto it to use a large breaker bar.

:agreed: and for this purpose they've been quite handy. I only have 6 point impact sockets in metric though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Woke up in Dubai, I'm visiting a friend and didn't really have enough solid reasons to say no to his invitation. Going to a car shows/gatherings while I'm here for a few days so I'll nab photos of anything particularly cool.

He's driving around in a 1976 280Z in white with the fender flares and says he never locks the car because he doesn't need to. That to me is crazy. I can only do the same because I live in the middle of nowhere, he straight up doesn't lock it even in the city. Picked me up from the airport in it last night and as we were walking up to it "door's unlocked, it's always unlocked" and when I asked it blew my mind a little.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's definitely a bizarre place but the vibe I'm getting is Vegas but without the gambling and that it actually functions as a city... :v:

The drivers are about as good as those in the US and they have the 12-18 lane wide roads y'all love so much.

It's kinda weird how much it reminds me of the US, whether that's good or bad I'll leave up to you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheBacon posted:

As someone in Vegas like once a month for work at this point (including right now). It is just as functioning of a city as any other in the US. Take that how you will.

My knowledge of the modern US situation is admittedly limited in ways but I've had youtube show me some eye opening videos. Just footage of cars cruising around places just drinking in the streets as they are, no narration, no subtitling leading you in a particular direction, just raw footage of some quite depressing scenarios.

I imagine you could do the same in a lot of places in the UK too and it would likely be as shocking a show of decay. I don't quite know how to explain what has happened but especially in the UK poo poo took a quite severe nosedive and it loving sucks now. Absolute end of empire type poo poo. :unsmith:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

Providing help for these people years before they reach this stage would be easier, cheaper, and better for everyone in society - but then the desired level of state-sanctioned cruelty would not be achieved and conservative politicians would have no platform to run on.

It's a shame you're right, honestly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Touch screen toasters

I want to ask if you're joking here but deep in my heart I know you are not.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell of a gently caress up, holy poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

racists gonna racist

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hold up, THREE PIECE Ronal Teddys?? That's dedication to the cause. Respect.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Russ Chimes is a car guy and has released a bunch of car themed tunes.

This is his Midnight Club EP: https://youtu.be/bjQFm_1knqI?si=3Hhpa8H0yTLLnpd1

Targa
Never Look Back
and Tertre Rouge

Not specifically car related in track names but he also released a series of 'Expressway Mixtapes' mixes of tunes to drive to of which 2 is one of my all time favourite mixes. https://on.soundcloud.com/LN86b4dZVacoonKZA

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 14, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've just remembered the Vitalic track My Friend Dario which has a terrible cheesy 2000s nonsense dance music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8V8_sIFL9s

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Forever a banger

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NoWake posted:

My friend and I were both kids of divorce, and both our dads lived in the same town about 30 miles away from where we did. Same neighborhood, just blocks away actually, but they didn't know each other or who any of our friends or anything. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Once when I was in the 5th grade, I went and visited my buddy while he was at his dad's for visitation, it must have been over spring break. My own dad had no idea I was in town, had no reason to expect me, and I didn't reach out to let him know. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Anyway, my friend and I walked over to my dad's place while he was at work, got inside and turned all the lights on and the TV, opened the cupboards and closet doors, took the phone off the hook, poured a bowl of cereal and left it, ran a tub of water and threw towels in it, basically did everything we could think of short of actually trashing or destroying anything. Locked up, re-hid the spare key and left.

He never spoke of it to me, but I remember hearing him tell a friend about the time his house got broken into. He moved 2,000 miles away when I was in 7th grade, so I feel it was pretty good timing on my part.

:lol:

I wonder if he realised that absolutely nothing was taken and got even more weirded out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Humphreys posted:

My employers are continuing their crusade on buying lovely vehicles. So far their history includes SSangYong van, Mitsubishi Triton (the one that had the front suspension recall), Ford Territory, Ford Ranger, Ford Everest. Now to join the shitheaps is a Haval JoLion!

I had to look it up

quote:

The Haval Jolion was first shown at the 2020 Beijing Auto Show in October as a successor of the H2. The Chinese name pronounces "Chulian" and means "first love" in Chinese.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My guy :cheers:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I definitely would have gone off at her for not paying attention. Like yeah nobody got hurt but the amount of hassle it causes you because she couldn't be arsed to just look is.... gently caress off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

As long as I am made whole (which really is a question) is going to be the big thing here.

Fingers crossed on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

I am happy you're happy with the insurance company's telling of the story but in 100.01% of cases where someone operates their vehicle into a parked vehicle they don't even bother asking "I understand you were 46 when 9/11 happened. Much has changed since then. Did the stationary object... surprise you?"

:agreed:

I'm genuinely surprised insurance companies don't blacklist people more often for not looking where they're going.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 8, 2024