Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

You act like "Electricians" don't make these same drat mistakes, and then charge you for the privilege. Who the gently caress do you think wired the homes above with 75 outlets on one breaker?

grover was an electrical engineer not an electrician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Humphreys posted:

Do you all not have certificates of work incase something fucks up that the law/insurance can go after when poo poo goes bad?

In America, insurance is a tax you pay to a corporation. If you ever try to go after it, you pay more tax until you make the corporation whole.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
For decades now it seems like Ford has been pushing hard for van chassis cabs as a replacement for truck chassis cabs. The godzilla certainly helps there with smaller pushrod cylinder heads fitting better in a tight van doghouse. GM has been eating their lunch their as LS/LT motors are just so easy to package in anything. Even on the truck side, PSD maintenance can mean cab off so a small footprint engine helps there.

Large displacement means good low RPM torque for PTO applications. Pushrod means no timing maintenance (except I think it still has a cam phaser). No turbos means less heat, better oil life. Gasser means no DPF and SCR. It seems like a fantastic motor for fleet vehicles that dont absolutely need a diesel, and fleet vehicles are important for Ford.

In the wake of the 6.0 PSD disaster, it was funny to see a rash of 5.4 trucks grunt and wheeze trying to take it's place. I've seen a bunch of 5.4 tow trucks barely be able to winch a car onto a flatbed.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Normally you would be right about all of that but Godzillas started eating cams and lifters due to cam lobe delamination at 2k to 40k miles. I'm pretty sure it's just low quality parts causing it.

https://youtu.be/XEwGt0niG-4?si=oJZXRbxNgUizflqS

https://youtu.be/6aHl1BjZaFQ?si=arN1bc3z7V-iNO-T

https://youtu.be/esdknTjxQTM?si=brEj0BC3roqs3JpN

I'll add those videos to my watch later list. But I'm guessing that's just a run of the mill quality issue. Every few years it seems like every OE needs to relearn how cam grinding and heat treatment works, or the cringiest of all sometimes how press fit can lobes work.

I think I remember the Godzilla having a base circle big enough to make about any factory big block blush, and conservative valve lift should mean low pressure on the cam and lifters. Or maybe I'm conflating that withe FR9. It's been a while since I've looked at the actual numbers, so I'm talking 100% out of my rear end here.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
It being a GM, about 90% of all the connectors are going to be some Delphi variation, and probably 100% of the low content ones will be Metripack. A terminal and seal kit and a decent set of crimpers will go a long way.

I wouldn't worry about resistance much. I've seen so many repairs with wiring for sensors spliced, crimped, replaced, extended, whatever and I've never seen the repair cause a problem. The tolerances for the sensors are going to be greater than any competent repair.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
CAN networks are really resilient. If you stay inside the physical layer design parameters, you will be OK. Even outside those parameters too. I've seen a bunch of bad stuff there too. Too many nodes, too long nodes, too long backbones, too many/few terminating resistors, and stuff still works. I've even seen whole networks without twisted pair. The downside is that once you push it too far, everything falls apart. But a few repair splices will not affect anything.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 23, 2024

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
It's still federally illegal, so like legal weed

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

one of the many things in life i'll never understand about selling poo poo online: people who expect me to negotiate my own price down. get hosed shitheads

What's your bottom dollar and will you take less than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I guessed the cars before reading your post and came up the same. I thought F body on the left at first before really looking at it.