Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And why isn't he allowed inside your new house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How's that brain cancer cellphone conspiracy working out?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My car apparently wasn't producing enough vacuum in this cold after warming up while I scraped the ice off, because I did not have power brakes when I tried to pull out of my parking spot. Gave it enough time to get up to temp before I tried moving again and the brakes worked fine, so that was a fun surprise

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's illegal to just do your own electrical work in the city of Chicago. If they figure out you've altered any electrical equipment without a permit or inspection, the city will make you pay someone with a license and a permit to undo your work, with the option of fining you every single day that the job isn't finished. Obviously that's loving stupid because it's intentionally broad enough to suggest that switching out a fuse in an old house should require a permit

Rules like that are put in place in order to prevent people from going, "well the rules never said I couldn't do it" after their condo in the John Hancock Building catches fire and causes tens of millions of dollars in damage. And probably also to make some very unfortunate people's lives a living hell if the government doesn't like them, but mostly because there's very valuable real estate that can't be left to the rule of cool

In your own home? I say as long as you aren't putting others in danger, do it to the best of your ability, according to the spirit of the law and not the letter. You do have to CYA on certain things, but as long as your own work passes inspection, why hire someone?

E: clarity

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 18, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Chicago is an extreme outlier in that regard, though. They also won't let you run any wiring outside of a conduit.

We don't use ground wires here, the metal conduit is the ground wire. And I meant it as a statement of why those rules don't really apply to regular home repair, because the spirit of those extremely strict laws is to protect the city from lawsuits by skyscrapers filled with people, not make sure a bungalow in Garfield Park has the right kind of outlet

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

A friend of mine is an electrician in Chicago and he insists on putting a bare copper ground wire in conduit in case somebody uses their conduit as a pull-up bar and breaks the ground path that way.

Honestly, I ~trust~ the math enough to be ok with it in my own home, but it would be nice to have at least a dummy ground to give me a clue as to if the person who installed the thing even tried

Former Everything posted:

I'm a lurker in AI, but we recently picked up a 2024 GR Corolla, which seems very AI and made me want to post here. Just about 1000 miles on it so far, but it's a really fun little AWD car. I'm hoping to take it to a local road course this spring in Bowling Green and see what that's like.

Welcome friend! All cars are good cars, except the Plymouth Prowler, and it sounds like you got a fun one

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Especially the Plymouth Prowler

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I got called beautiful by a stranger in public for the first time! I'm awkward as gently caress, so I said thank you a bunch of times and practically ran away, but she made my entire week :swoon:

randomidiot posted:

Today's checklist is done.

Rode bike to pharmacy to get insulin and pump supplies. Completed that successfully.

Got lunch..a very healthy chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. The green beans made it healthy!.... Right?

Gkt hit by a car heading home. Somehow this is where things get fuzzy (I'm sure the huge lump on my head is unrelated)

Random person claiming to be a nurse drove me to the emergency room after confirming nothing critical was broken. I know she had black scrubs on with her name embroidered, said she worked in a nearby hospital. The color of scrubs suggested ER doctor. I was in no shape to argue - she helped me into the back of her car and asked if it was too painful to put on the seat belt (no). Black scrubs with both local hospital systems denote a full blown ER doctor - or denotes a full vet. Either way, she checked vitals, made sure I could stand, and helped me into the back of her car.

Don't remember poo poo after that, except what's left of my bike somehow made it home, and my gf isn't speaking to me. I know I have a broken eye socket and black eye, and I have stitches above my eye. I don't even know what hospital I wound up in (I'm sure I'll know in a few weeks when the bills show up, but the nearest is a medium size regional hospital, probably wound up there).

Have paperwork from local. PD about a hit and run with "moderate to severe injuries" and noting I was transported by a private vehicle. I have zero recollection of dealing with police. Or hospital. Or even anything much behind getting into the back seat of a later model. RAV4 and putting on my seat belt, and being handed half a box of gauze and ordered to keep pressure on my forehead. I did get a chuckle when I said "well poo poo, I guess I'm leaking, huh?".

I know the person who took me to the hospital works in medical care of some kind. I don't know if they're the one who hit me or not (I think the car in front of them did). She had black scrubs with an ambroidered name, so I'm assuming either an ER doc or a vetrenarian.

My everything hurts, pretty sure I broke a rib or two, my GF won't even talk to me now, and the room won't stop doing the tilt a whirl poo poo. Which tells me I probably. went to the regional hospital that rarely even has someone on hand for xrays.-closest hospital. Don't have any paperwork from any hospital tho.

GF said she did not pick me, or my bike, up. I know I've puked at least 5x at home that I know of.. She probably thinks I got hammered, but this is more concussion poo poo. I think.

I'm hindsight I wish I'd waited for ems, but that's a $1500 bill for them to just show up. Transport doubles it. And they balance bill (insurance might cover 100-300.. For AL'S)

Tl;Dr today sucks, but I'm alive. For better or worse. Still trying to figure out why gf won't talk to me - I know I have some kind of concussion and probably didn't make much sense when I got home. I guess the upside is I have a king size Sterns and Foster bed to myself for the night.... Just gotta find a new bike now. I REALLY liked that bike damnit.

You've had all the CT scans, right, no internal bleeding or swelling? I can practically read the post concussive symptoms in your post, and hearing that you "probably" have broken ribs does not fill me with confidence that you should lose consciousness alone. Wishing you the best man

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's 46° and sunny, we've only had like 8" of snow all winter and it's weird as gently caress

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

drat. That is a bummer and a half.

I just got done replacing all of the stupid-rear end dimmers that were in my basement. It'd be one thing if they were good ones, but they're the awful ones that are built to fit in a regular switch plate so it's a skinnier toggle with the tiny little slider next to it. I just spent the last however long replacing TEN of them with regular switches. No, previous owner, the lights in the little storage area with the water shutoff don't need to be dimmed. Neither does the light above the shower in the bathroom. Neither do any other of these drat lights. Plus side is that now I know which lights are on which breakers. PO did a real boner of a job with the breaker labeling. I need to get some new labels and redo them so they make sense.

Next step is figuring out all the outlets. :negative:

Oh god you just reminded me that I have to replace this stupid loving dimmer combo switch from like 1996 that only has 1 purple wire leaving the switch and controlling both the fan and lights. I'm not daisy chaining the fan and light contacts together or buying a special switch so that the next guy asks "what the gently caress?", so I've got to pull the stupid loving fan off the ceiling and see what's actually going on, bare minimum running another wire to the switch box

I’ve given up on the circuits for now, I just cut all the power. The house has had so many DIY wiring jobs that the basement lights are on the same circuit as 3 outlets on the floor above and the garage is on the same circuit as one outlet in the kitchen

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I loathe the Decora form-factor, so I only get the little skinny toggle+slider ones.

There's a little control unit in the fan, and that switch is a glorified remote, you can get new control units that use an actual remote, if you're inclined.

I've thought about that, since there's 2 signals on the same wire there has to be something on the other side to unpack it. But how much life does the receiver have left, and how much of the LED buzz was the sender and how much was the receiver? I'd just rather be 100% sure, even if I have to pull the fan off the ceiling, because I don't trust a single thing that's been wired in this house to have been done properly

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've driven a car that got 5 miles to the gallon with a ~25 gallon tank as my primary mode of transportation. It sucks. Don't do it. It's not worth it

Or maybe do, for your health. After I bought my first Civic in 2012 and more than quintupled my fuel efficiency, I permanently stayed in the comfort and safety of my car after a bike shop quoted me an outrageous price to fix my front brakes

E: seeing more than an entire day's pay get pumped into a gas tank is loving heartbreaking

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 12, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I actually quantified it on my last road trip. It's a ~1% loss in fuel efficiency for each mile over the speed limit in the civic, so the comfortable Chicago 15 over actually drops the MPG from about 40 to 32. I knew it had a negative effect, but I didn't think it would be so big

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My xA with the 1.5L gets an average of about 25 MPG when i drive it since it is not meant to go fast or be driven aggressively, ever. The missus ran much closer to 30 MPG

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Also, don't talk to the police, be they local, state, or federal cops. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, so unless your lawyer says it's OK, never say a thing that isn't "am I free to leave officer?"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Advent Horizon posted:

In doing some route research for my upcoming vacation I learned that Caltrans has started a $148 million project to fix the intersection James Deen died at.

A timely response to a place called Blood Alley that killed a massive public figure well before the Missus' grandparents were born

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

big dong wanter posted:

Traffic control at roadworks. It's sketchy as hell and the money is garbage

Isn't that one of the most dangerous jobs in the country?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Isn't a derrick a type of crane, or is that just how you lump together most oil well types?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Which Hummer. The H1 (original) Hummer and the new EV are loving gigantic. Literally the largest passenger vehicle on the road.
The H2 and LOL H3 are "Tahoe" and "Trailblazer" respectively.

Firemen, I'll allow an ego. They actually save lives, and I'm assuming a lot of the ego/bravado is dealing with the potential danger of the job. Takes a certain personality, yanno?

Full size pick ups are so stupidly large that the HEV isn't particularly noteworthy for anything other than its weight

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's only 9" smaller than your average 8' two way city street. It's gonna eat mirrors all day long

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

There is such a thing as being too precise

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I remember the X1/9 using a really strange amount of 11mm bolts, but everything about that car was weird

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Berlin seems to be full of roadworks this year, with lots of nearby roads closed off. Found out the hard way, twice, so now I tend to use the navi (also Google Maps on the phone). Of course the navi isn't always up to date either.

Back home, in a much smaller city, the navi didn't really matter because bad congestion just meant you sat in traffic because lol at having alternate routes.

I put it on for a lot of regular driving because I have terrible time management skills and seeing an ETA is important. I don't pay much attention to the actual instructions unless it's a new location

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

From what I've read in the OSHA thread in gbs, the ship lost power multiple times and there was a wind blowing.

Shouldn't there have been a tug or two if they were having engine problems in a shipping lane? I wonder who's going to be on the hook for this one

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Probably, but if it was already under way, and the whole thing happened in the span of a few minutes, there might not have been time to get tugs there, hooked up and then able to stop or redirect millions of pounds.

I'm not judging anyone yet, even with a tug on hand, ships are really big and have tons of momentum that make it hard to stop or correct course. More just curious about when things started to go wrong

Would the bridge be rebuilt?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's amazing that the stupidest fools in this country are all out there with "if ONLY we weren't giving aid to Ukraine, we could have infrastructure week'd 200,000 ton ships as the pylons on all the bridges in the country to prevent other 200,000 ton ships from crashing them, which is why I'm voting that all public money should be given to trump's legal defense fund"

God drat, this poo poo makes me so angry. Wanna make America great again? Me too fuckhead, that's why I want increased spending for infrastructure, healthcare, social services, and the projection of global soft power. We could have better pay and work fewer hours, with our retirements secured- Oh, you mean that you just want the browns and the gays to go away? Uh huh....

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Just a few months ago I was waiting for my spam fried rice to cool down and I was so hungry that I decided to take a bite of something I knew would be too hot to eat, and my response to the burning in my mouth wasn't to spit it out. No, for some loving reason, I instinctively swallowed the food that was scalding my mouth and almost threw up because it was now burning my stomach instead of my mouth
Thankfully, it was one of the few burns I've had that didn't get infected. It mostly meant I couldn't eat anything too firm for a few days or else I would feel it scraping my insides and start trying to throw it up

I'm a loving dumbass :sterv:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No officer, this isn't a still, it's a metal alembic

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I mean, without getting into a discussion about efficacy, if you're going too fast a speed camera takes a photo, I don't get why that is a :psyduck:?

Us Americans are used to at least ~5mph of wiggle room for any speed enforcement :911:
Speed cameras are a whole can of worms, but I'm really happy that no one here does the obvious thing and use toll passes as de facto speed cameras

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I've been tasked with making a playlist of songs about cars/driving for reasons. There are a lot of songs about cars and and driving and I quickly amassed a list of over 300. Anyway, looking for more obscure records I might have overlooked so gimmie your best songs about cars

Stickshifts and Safety Belts - Cake
I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spinlight - Brand New
Dashboard - Modest Mouse
Night Drive - Jimmy Eat World
Bad Girls - MIA
We Can Roll - Bad Rabbits
You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar - Queens of the Stone Age
Baddest - P Money & Gappy Ranks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Hands on the Wheel - Schoolboy Q
III. Telegraph Ave - Childish Gambino
Mud on the Tires - Brad Paisley
Lowrider - War
Get in my Car - 50 Cent
The Distance - Cake
Powerglide - Rae Sremmurd
Gainesville Rock City - Less Than Jake
Detroit Rock City - Kiss
5 State Drive - Less Than Jake
Highway Crimes - Moog
Driver's License - Olivia Rodrigo
MotorSport - Migos
No Sleep Till Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
Uber Everywhere - MadienTYO
Ignition - R. Kelly

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I'd just like to state how much I hate that a 1998 is an "old car"...
:corsair:

My 06 is old enough to vote

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I didn't notice the vents at first, so I was wrong on the Porsche, but I'll be able to clock an OG 8 Series anywhere. The 850csi is one of my favorite cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've been on rifaximin (gut antibiotics) to try to help my IBS for about a week now. I thought I was tolerating it really well until last night when I pooped so bad that I almost passed out, but had to keep on pooping. I was in an awful cycle of laying on the bathroom floor to avoid blacking out and jumping back on the toilet for half an hour

You know, I was looking at the bathrooms yesterday and thinking that I should clean them, but figured that I could do it today instead because I was tired :doh: