Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

With a conveniently pillow-shaped liner that you can inflate with your cheap wine breath to sleep off the effects of drinking an entire box of cheap wine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

One day I want to winter (summer) in Australia and summer in Michigan

Just shred waves all fuckin winter (summer) while Michigan gets arctic blasted to hell

The universe has finally figured out that Vancouver is part of Canada and we're getting cold snaps of -20 C and a foot of snow this week, so I'm on the same train as you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Canadian here with a family history of being in The Phone Company (as we called it up here). The plastic structure with the fat cable going into it is a 25-pair Nortel analog phone line breakout box.

I'd wager the copper bar above it with a handful of cables attached to it is a ground busbar. You're going to want to pull out a multimeter to confirm, but considering one of the conductors is bolted to the shielding on the metal pipe going up the access inlet, it's very likely to be the ground rail.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Raluek posted:

also green has to legally always be ground, iirc

can confirm on the phone block too. i think those are called bix blocks?

They are indeed. Not sure who makes them these days but they were a Northern Telecom product originally. Probably got spun off to some offshore manufacturer when Nortel got divested to Avaya.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's always nice to know that the busbar in your closet is a ground one instead of one prong of a live 208VAC one.

That was an interesting site visit.

e: If you can do so, avoid working in weird private scam universities in 150-year-old colonial heritage buildings in Canadian downtowns.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kastein posted:

:what:

I would be loving bullshit if I came across that. Why? How?

The building had electrical wiring to communications closets that were last renovated when knob and tube was considered perhaps just maybe not the best idea, and T1s were still a couple decades away. poo poo was insane, and the resident private university was charging offshore students 40k/semester for barely-recognized MBAs.

Absolutely psychotic poo poo.

Meanwhile at home I wish that we had a standard way of easily identifying which outlets go to which breakers. I've been in this apartment for three years now and still haven't figured out how to properly spread out my electrical load across the five different 15A unlabeled breakers on the panel.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It'd be nice if my commute were more highway and less city.

I'll take 9.3L/100km of almost entirely city with traffic lights every quarter mile.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When BC joined Canada in 1871, the federal government set out on the Dominion Land Survey to split various parts of the new province (mostly along the proposed Canadian Pacific Railway line) and the swaths of land between it and the Rest Of Canada (tm) into six by six mile chunks called townships. Each of these was divided into square mile "sections". Inevitably roads were built along these section boundaries, and in time, in divisions of a half mile, then a quarter, than an eighth, then "eh just slap a letter after the street number" divisions.

This resulted in, in the 21st century, some absolutely hosed up roads with lights sometimes at predictable spots and sometimes in weird ones, and sometimes roads that you would think would be arterial, being on the mile grid, just loving disappearing into some farm that's been in a single family since Captain Vancouver navigated the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

My commute is invariably about 35-40 minutes, but I can take any number of routes that all end up being the same duration of travel, because every arterial-esque road has a number divisible by 8, and if you can remember that, you can usually get where you need to go.

Until you find yourself in some fucker's 200 year old family farm.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm glad I don't work private sector anymore, because if I got told to go to Dubai for work, I'd probably quit.

What a hosed up place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Darchangel posted:

That's because these fuckwits believe that DEI necessarily requires lowering standards, because their feeble minds simply can't conceive of a woman or brown person being competent, much less expert.

In short:

The solution is clear. Conservatism must be criminalized as a felony.

not ironic

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I didn't notice the vents at first, so I was wrong on the Porsche, but I'll be able to clock an OG 8 Series anywhere. The 850csi is one of my favorite cars

There was one for sale for $6500 near me a few years back and I really wish I had the money at the time to buy it. Fuel economy be damned, that car is beautiful.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I like the e31's, and wouldn't say not to one. But I don't know if I like them enough to fork out the ~$40k that a manual one with 180k km goes for around here.

I have a stupid dream car I'd rather get my hands on... an AMC Eagle.

Yeah, after for them looking nationwide on autotrader.ca I'm even more sad in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And then another $17k CAD when the 350,000 km engine goes kaput.

Still would if I had the money.