Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I got boosted the week before Christmas. coworker brought some garbo to work tuesday and now I'm starting the new year off pumping green slime out of my face and respiratory system again. Real loving happy about getting sick. Heres to another 5 weeks of not riding bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

And we should leave mechanic work to mechanics. Welcome to AI.

Speak for yourself I gotta get to work in an hour

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

literally everyone makes mistakes but hiring professionals is a good thing for a lot of tasks. professionals are experienced and trained workers who deserve the substantial wages they command.

Me, getting paid 3 figures an hour to dig out a ouija board and curse in tongues at diesel fords. Da gently caress turn in life did I make to end up here.

SpeedFreek posted:

I make my living by testing and then fixing their mistakes, why not cut out the middleman and only have my own mistakes to deal with? "No user serviceable components inside" is a challenge, not a warning.

Mostly this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I swear to god when I move this summer I'm going to find a place with a taller garage.

lemme tell you after three years of hitting my loving head on shop rafters it is nice to have 20+ foot ceilings

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Winter is a season best visited.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

So I clicked on something, no idea what, and suddenly I was on the last page of AI and found the following thread from nearly a decade ago which provided some entertainment: Who drives the rarest car in AI?.

Oh how times change.

CSB posted:

fwiw: one of 4 left in North america.

E: discovery: not rare.
however.
97MY, non AEL system. 5 speed trans, SE7 package, every additional factory addon, base wheels, Rioja red mica paint.

There's probably none left now :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
fwiw it's pretty wet here right now. Let's see if I can bury a bricknose to the frame this weekend.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I'm a sidewall guy now.

If it's less than ten inches (of sidewall) I am not interested.

I live in a fourth world country. It's bad enough replacing suspensions and frames annually without adding 5 kilobucks of tire and wheel to the bill.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Your Q7 needs Alpha Equip Echos in 18x9 sitting on Falken Wildpeaks (or Yokohama G015).

Correct.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My engine portfolio goes from 460 ci down to 1.6l, both making similar horsepower

Triple 4 down to 57.4 cubic inches.

Both make the same hp at the crank. One makes vastly more torque.

I mostly don't care about mpg when selecting a vehicle. What it can do as a tool matters more.
The truck that mostly sits gets 9-15mpg. moto will do 20-40mpg.

I've had econoshitcans that'd do nearly 50mpg but I wouldn't want to be in when hit by a mouthbreather in a humv-e or a cybertruck. A 250cc moto would be more maneuverable in the situation.
It hurts around the 3-5mpg area when all it does is make noise. Nevermind that out west you'd need 50+ gal to make it to the next station...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to make a turbodiesel-electric plugin hybrid. Just a diesel and a generatoe and an EV drivetrain.

Dreams.

I'm working on it. With the added difficulty of making homebrew biodiesel because might as well go all the way.

finding 2M70s in the yards now... TDI bell adapters exist for the GM smallblock pattern...
Also have an early prius transaxle to play with plus a tdi...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I thought the 2ML70 was WHY GMT hybrids were in the yards now.

Ah it took after the 4l60 I see

Though the lexus longitudinal box is probably easier to work with.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

My foresters got 24mpg at 65 and 22 at 75-85.

Since I was driving 190 miles a day most days I decided I was willing to take the 2mpg hit.

At 3.50 a gallon it worked out to paying an extra 2.50 a day to get 33 minutes of my life back. Worth it.

But changing jobs to one half the distance from home was definitely the (eventual) wiser choice.

The farm truck gets about the same mpg at 65 as it does at 85. If It's gonna be hot, miserable, and loud, might as well put down some distance.

Not having a commute has been a better quality of life improvement.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

My first thought:

Area under the graph is important, It makes 350ft/lbs at the wheels at 2200rpm, the 6.2 doesn't get there until 3500.

Was gonna point this out. 6.2s really wanna spin it to win it.

I'd mess with a godzilla. dgaf about the 6.2.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Not Wolverine posted:

I honestly had no idea that Ford gas engines were used in Class A motorhomes, I just assumed they would all be a Cummins or Detroit diesel at this point.

That said, in the F150 today, the 3.5L EcoBoost has a little more power than the 5.0L V8, the EcoBoost also has a slightly higher towing capacity. However, is it safe to say that the the 5.0 V8 is likely to be a more durable engine than the EcoBoost simple due to being a naturally aspirated and lower power engine?

There's a bunch with v10s and such floating around. Completely miserable experience. I met an older couple on the road that sank $18k into a v10 repower in their class-A when it exploded.

Guaranteed. They're not power turbos, they're efficiency turbos.
The EBs get single digit fuel economy when towing heavy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ford truck without the worst part. A Ford engine. That rules. I've seen a bunch out here in work truck liveries. You did good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah but it's full of Ford electrics.

That's fixable. Their engines however, less so.

kastein posted:

It's too bad you didn't go with stop sign red so you could just get Milwaukee M400 Fuel decals made and put them on it.

Funny you bring that up. Their smaller m48 pack works pretty good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

WTFBEES posted:

Me, an idiot: Alright, done working for the day. I'll just go ahead and throw these new speakers into the vehicle I need to drive to work tomorrow that's parked in the unilluminated driveway.

Me, tomorrow: Guess I'll just drive to work in silence with that door panel halfway on.

And tomorrow begins the battery alternator starter suicide pact ensuring you're not able to get back to the first project for at least three weeks.

That's how things around here work anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Trucks are gonna get to the point that the beds are so wide and short that a 4x8 sheet will fit in the bed again

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My absolute favorite was Bosch era rover v8s with 12pt 12mm heads on something like a 7/16-14 thread used in the exhaust manifolds. It was maddening.

I still have some of those cursed bolts left that sometime get dropped in random positions when someone balks about the work

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The cars I put together when I was 15 were better built than the incel camino

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

I'm glad I don't work private sector anymore, because if I got told to go to Dubai for work, I'd probably quit.

What a hosed up place.

Same. There's no probably to it. I'm out or I'm not going.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I'm just glad y'all actually handle edge cases like that because web developers and mobile app people....... Don't.

And it means that as a living breathing walking edge case, my modern software experience is horrific.

FoMoCo: If you use the built in tow/haul function and go over a mountain pass it explodes the turbocharger.

Same buddy. Same. I exist to break every piece of code around me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love replacing something that lasted 20 years, and turning it into a 6-12 month maintenance item because the OEM part is no longer available at any price.

I'm super thrilled that the thousand dollars of Moog problem solvers I put into a customers truck came with half the joints not even threaded for zerks.
There is no such thing as quality parts anymore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

My copper antiseize is newer, but still at least 5 years old, my silver antieseize is easily 10 years old.

Same

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll get lowballed on poo poo I'm not even selling!

Some rando showed up in a smashed up tesla to buy some biodiesel processing equipment a month or two ago. Dude was oogling the bricknose pretty hard. Hard enough that my buddy came and got me to talk about it. Dude seemed very into it, knew what it was, etc.

Cue the text chains. He starts to vacillate over text. worried about rust (lol it's from Hayward, CA). Offers me 5 grand. What I paid for it when I dragged it out of a field 8 years ago. I just ghosted em after sending craigslist links for what would be a 5k dollar truck. Ones missing significant parts and not running/driving.

For hilarity sake just the turbocharging of this (5k dollar) engine was 5k. Nevermind the rest of the work.

It's in the parkinglot at the shop waiting to move the next new project. Gonna need to be many multiples of 5k hungrier than 5k to take that thing off my hands.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Our newest vehicle is a decaying 1994 RV
How could this happen to meeeeeeeeee

Hey it could be a Fiat era Jeep.

CommieGIR posted:

Making me feel good about having a '10, but then I daily an '86 that is having a mechanical mid life crisis.

My daily from 2004 is also having a mechanical mid life crisis. It's also from Austria.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hahahahahahahahaha how the gently caress am I even alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Shame, was a nice bike. Enjoy bike shopping!

Nice on you for staying cool during it all.