Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I thought goon was just cheap rear end bag wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ether Frenzy posted:

My mother has this snowblower - https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/two-stage-snow-blowers/storm-3090-snow-blower/31AH5DP5B66.html It's about 13 years old at this point, but has been well maintained generally & stored properly.

Because it didn't snow much last year, it got barely used so there's presumably 2ish year old gas in it from 2022, but she'd put Sta-Bil in it at the end of last year. This year she didn't think to try starting it before it actually snowed, and they've just gotten 12+ inches of fluffy snow and naturally it won't start. She's trying the electric start rather than the pull cord since she's 76, and it sounds like it almost catches but just won't keep turning over. She's primed it with the little bulb

Any suggestions on additives she could dump into it or if getting some younger person to come pull the cord might do a better job of getting it started than the electric starter? Otherwise it's probably going to have to go to the snowblower maintenance shop which is presumably going to be extremely busy now that the storm has arrived.

Could always try some starter fluid at the carb. Best suggestion is to call a neighbor to see if they can give the pull start a few good ones

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I slid through a corner the other day and stomped a sign flat. My 260k mile Vue took it like a champ.

Cracked some plastic, that’s it.

One day I’ll take this thing behind the barn and put it out of its misery, but that day ain’t today.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alternatively, all cars are terrible and pieces of poo poo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I took the opportunity before the coming rain to clear the pond for skating. It wasn’t the smoothest, but it wasn’t like skating on concrete. Gonna have to get a pump to flood the surface for a nice smooth finish.

Skating rocks but it sure uses different muscles than walking.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sure is.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well, that sure was something

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wanna go skating on the pond and it’s not cold enough.

I like winter, and it’s a shame it will never happen again.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Michigans pretty chock full of really cool cars, because, you know… Michigan.

But that only applies to domestics. You see a hell of a lot more Ford GTs than you do Ferraris. Lambos are all over the college towns though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

cursedshitbox posted:

If it's less than ten inches (of sidewall) I am not interested.

I live in a fourth world country. It's bad enough replacing suspensions and frames annually without adding 5 kilobucks of tire and wheel to the bill.

I thought you lived in the American southwest

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That’s fuckin dumb as hell

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Powershift posted:

I guess the 7.3 liter v8 is probably the odd one but it’s smaller than the engine in my other car :shrug:

This is the first inline 4 I’ve owned, also The first n/a 4 cylinder.

So you’ve got a Cadillac 500 or one of the many Ford 460s?

I’m trying to imagine what you’d have where a 445 in a sedan/coupe is your smaller engine

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahhh, ok, power stroke. I was wondering who/when someone make a 445

My engine portfolio goes from 460 ci down to 1.6l, both making similar horsepower

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Personally I’m a fan of the “just needs brakes” to ball joint to CV pipeline myself

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I coat every single removable fastener in anti-seize, knowing that I have never and will never sell a car, and I’ll probably never remove that part again.

I am the omega owner. The terminal user.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I set a personal best today: both sides front brake pads swapped and everything cleaned/put away in 45 minutes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have never finished a tube a loctite. Anti-seize I buy semi-regularly, though the bottles always managed to get covered in grease and anti-seize, so they look decades old the minute I open them.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Time to go to the local junkyard and/or hit the C5 forums

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PitViper posted:

Am I the only one that basically stopped using the tin-man-handjob anti seize? I mostly use the copper stuff, which keeps a better consistency and doesn't seem to have the same tendency to get all over everything. I've also got a bottle of nickel-based anti seize, but at this point it's pretty ancient because I seldom use it.

I do need to remember to get those loctite sticks though, at least a blue.

I’ve used both with no noticeable difference I’m effect. Except that the copper stuff makes the brush bristles stay at a 90 degree angle and that doesn’t happen with the tin man jizz.

Both keep my nuts as loose as I want em.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

big dong wanter posted:

Yeah about a dozen of us die at work every year

I'd be shocked if there were safer jobs than being a cop tbh.

Being a roofer is more dangerous than being a cop. Or a commercial fisherman. There’s tons of jobs more injurious and deadly. Delivery driver is one of the few that’s more dangerous because people point guns at you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh I’d bet the saws and crushing is still big for reasoning. They also drive like they know they’re gonna die in the woods, so there’s also that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Darchangel posted:

It's 80-loving-7 inches wide. Granted, that's only 6" wider than a Silverado, but still noticable.
Jesus Christ how did this come to be? My 1970 Olds Cutlass is only 76.2" wide including the door handles. A squarebody is 79.6" sans any mirrors, so new pickup is actually about the same. Mainly taller, and a *much* higher hood line/grille (as that video posted in the Terrible Cars thread detailed.)

Yeah, my 77 Mk V is 79.7 before mirrors and is what everyone would consider “a tank.” 87 inches wide is just unmanageable. It won’t fit in a lot of places (read: drivethru)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Powershift posted:

If it’s anything like my Mark IV, the mirrors aren’t even the widest part of the car. It’s about 80” wide at the arches and maybe 74” at the mirrors.

They reduced the fender flare while making the car larger/squarer for ‘77-79. They leaned real hard into right angles, with curves reserved for the ol trunk bulge alone. The mirror is still the widest part, though thankfully there’s only one. I think it sits around 83” wide with the mirror.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Humphreys posted:

It's Tri-nocular! I just havent paid the dumb money for cameras yet. Also found out my cheap 18650 scope can run off USB as a Webcan and fits in the 3rd hole

Tell me more about this third hole…

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

cursedshitbox posted:

The cars I put together when I was 15 were better built than the incel camino

Ha!

e: laughing at the joke. On re-read I realized it could be read as mocking, which I didn’t intend.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mayor Pete’s on this, everybody calm down.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Starting with “woke up in Dubai” makes it sound like it was a surprise.

For some workers, it is

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

meatpimp posted:

Been absolutely swamped and social battery continuously drained since I took a board position on a 120 athlete rowing crew. The amount of deferred maintenance on $250k of boats is insane. But, I am taking a break. And I bought an alcohol still. :toot:

Fuckin sick. I always wanted a still, but I know I’d end up losing passion for it as a project vs the passion for the idea.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey! It’s legal in Michigan! That’s pretty neat.

I think (but don’t know) the federal laws are all set up around taxes and providing it for sale or distribution to others.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Humphreys posted:

Yeah I put a new belt on when I did it. lovely pump. Was cheap. Warranty was replacement but I asked for refund. Then got an OEM from my mate at the Holden Dealership.

I want to see your Holden. Please post a pic

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hell yes. That thing rocks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The assumption is always that the real speed limit is 5 mph over whatevers posted. Its like ordering off the secret menu.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m in love with my car - Queen

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

6L GTR - The Chats

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Went to a car meet, found my cars brother.

Both 1977. His is a Thunderbird Landau Brougham with a 400. The paint was immaculate though. My Metallic Dark Cordovan has quite a few more rock chips.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Forgive me, I am so used to driving on ze autobahn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Y1sEmyymw

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m making an official request for whoever said they could make a song thread to make the song thread, cause it’s way too broad of a topic to take up the chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a Fiat Jeep and it has been astoundingly trouble free. It’s got the tigershark and everything. Have never had to do anything except change fluids and plugs over the past 70k miles.