Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I was looking at a set of sockets that skipped some metric sizes that led me to looking at this chart:

The question I have for everyone is: What socket sizes would you choose to bring with you if you wanted to cover the common sizes between 1" to 5/16" or 25mm to 8mm? For instance would bring just the 14mm that subs for 9/16 or would you bring the 9/16? Or are you bringing both? For instance if you were packing a set for the junkyard? Assuming the car isn't all metric or standard. I was looking at the 14mm and google says it comes out to 0.55 inches and 9/16 comes out 0.5625 so is it smarter to carry the 9/16 to be a little over on mm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

I have been nerdsniped. ASME b18.2.2 (page 25) specifies the minimum and maximum wrench opening for a given nut size of

code:
minimum = nominal_width + 0.005*nominal_width + 0.001
maximum = minimum + 0.005*nominal_width + 0.004
Then I made a spreadsheet, assuming metric sockets should follow the same standard. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1kxZZCd6kv8cVOH1yp1-A5AnOTuSnPM2ORsXwf-i_M/edit?usp=sharing

There's remarkably little overlap if you want the kind of tolerances described in ASME b18.2.2. 5/16 definitely works for 8mm, and 3/4 definitely works for 19mm. If your socket set is on the large end of the allowable size, then 11mm works for 7/16, 5/8 works for 16mm, 22mm works for 7/8, and 15/16 works for 24mm.

I didn't calculate "this socket is larger, but not so large that it just spins" because that's how you round off nuts.

This is absolutely amazing. Hell yes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I THINK I have a socket that's in some increment of 64ths. Should get a full set just for the cursed factor.