Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Humphreys posted:

We've got some boomer idiot in my area putting up "Keep Suburb_Name WIFI Free" signs all over town. loving idiot. They are putting up a 5G Tower. At least get your conspiracy correct dumbass.

I think that sounds great, free wifi should be provided by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It would be very funny to go around and put up slightly differently worded signs so it looks like there's twice as much support for free wifi and just frustrate the conspiracy guy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Glad to hear Rhyno is doing better, now hope randomidiot manages to dig himself out of yet another calamity. Dude's leading a cursed life and I'm not sure it's particularly fair though every new story is another example of the US loving people over in a new and 'fun' way.

Godspeed to all goons going through the ringer.

I know this will sound insincere to some people. If someone is posting from their perspective everything that has gone wrong in their life to the level that they did, you should have some doubt in your minds as to the honesty of their point of view and writing. It's my belief that they are responsible for a lot of their issues both from their conscious and unconscious decisions. I also think unwavering support from posters isn't helpful, it doesn't foster self reflection or improvement.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

I wish STR/Random Idiot the best, I really do.

We all (or most of us) remember when the guy whose name we try not to mention made his fire filled departure from the forums.
A gang of motherfuckers here basically said "the one thing that all of your hosed up relationships have in common is YOU".

Perhaps the same thing applies here.

I agree and I have less animosity for this flavor of a similar problem. I do have a large degree of sympathy for Random Idiot since the world is not set up to support and care for individuals. They didn't get where they are on their own and shouldn't be expected to get out of this mess on their own. My point earlier was to say 'this isn't helpful'. Something else can be and perhaps sponsors or support directly with someone who sees the full story and will be honest and direct is better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We are not in the business of importing/exporting forum drama. Simply there was communication through private messages with clear and specific direction on topics that would be allowed on the forums. This is not full on policing, but moderating. There is a point that personal life and internet life clash and will cause exponential issues and the way to start building fresh and starting new is to separate those two things. We are extremely supportive of each other here, but the forums are not a replacement for licensed counselors or therapists. We want the best for individuals and the community here.

You're a good moderator. And thorough.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

I loathe the Decora form-factor, so I only get the little skinny toggle+slider ones.

There's a little control unit in the fan, and that switch is a glorified remote, you can get new control units that use an actual remote, if you're inclined.

You and me both. I kinda wish I had given up though before I purchased any dimmers. The only thing worse than decora is having an inconsistent mix. And I have better uses of $600 than replacing all of them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I don't know where else to put this but my sister is a glorious idiot and this is her dog that she decided to take to get some photos done for valentine's day because?! :v:

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1757117406994932091?t=CUtiH2BsPHAPR1pfxj-LIw&s=19

You put that anywhere and everywhere you can. Get the whole set please and share it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't a derrick a type of crane, or is that just how you lump together most oil well types?

Derek Operator is a guy with a bad heart. He gets revived a hundred times a year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My knowledge of the modern US situation is admittedly limited in ways but I've had youtube show me some eye opening videos. Just footage of cars cruising around places just drinking in the streets as they are, no narration, no subtitling leading you in a particular direction, just raw footage of some quite depressing scenarios.

I imagine you could do the same in a lot of places in the UK too and it would likely be as shocking a show of decay. I don't quite know how to explain what has happened but especially in the UK poo poo took a quite severe nosedive and it loving sucks now. Absolute end of empire type poo poo. :unsmith:

Do not confuse the lack of text or narration as a lack of bias. The imagery itself has been chosen based on a bias as is. The only unbiased would be if you could select a random hour of footage from a Google Maps car or similar. And really random, no sort of algorithm showing the most popular videos either, since anything that is bad or good will filter to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ether Frenzy posted:

What happened is Reaganism and Thatcherism ended social programs for mental illness and drug addiction. Those carefully curated videos of a 2 block radius of drug users in inner city areas you'd have to literally go out of your way to find and travel to in order to make stupid videos are the result of the childish thinking those philosophies are built on, which results in the "social decay" that is actually the end stage of drug addiction.

Providing help for these people years before they reach this stage would be easier, cheaper, and better for everyone in society - but then the desired level of state-sanctioned cruelty would not be achieved and conservative politicians would have no platform to run on.

gently caress Dubai, I'm a straight white guy and I'll never go. The idea that a totalitarian state "functions" better as a city than a city in the democratic West is laughable.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is a good-rear end post.