Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Happy New years you freaks.

Went for a nice prime rib dinner with some friends, returned home and played 5 Crowns with my mom and Mrs. until about 11. Mom couldn't make it further so Mrs. and I sat around having a couple drinks and barely squeaked to midnight.

Got on the scale this AM and noticed I've gained almost 5lbs since the weekend before Christmas.

So, successful holiday season I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL rained here too. Actually woke me up. It's not +7 in the shade on my patio.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What was the temp when you took the video? -45?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That looks perfect for topping a sundae

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tinned owl posted:

I'm am enginamneer (though far less hands on than Kastein) and I've never heard of the ORB ones, I'll go look them up and ponder them later
Mostly hydraulics

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tons of npt on hydraulics, *mostly* trouble free.

The problems often come from using thread tape.

But yeah, just avoid taper pipe threads in general is usually good advice.

It's good for the valve business tho

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The problem isn't so much using thread sealant itself, as with most things, It's doing it improperly.

Using it so it gets into the system causes havoc on valves, especially extremely low clearance servo.

That jerky jerky motion you see on poorly maintained hydraulics is very often related to sticking valves because of that... And other various reasons.

So It's best to just use connections that don't need sealant at all. Although that won't stop many people from using thread sealant on threads for face/seat sealing surfaces lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Galler posted:

QuickJack agrees based on the page and a half in the QuickJack manual about thread sealants and how to not gently caress up thread tape.
Somewhat related, Loctite/Henkel actually make a sealant that is hydraulic compatible. It can even be used on a sealing face in case it gets scratched/damaged.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just hope both the posters mentioned get help and do well.

Actually, that goes for everyone :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had a visit with an endodontist yesterday. Now I look like I got in a fight and also stung by a bee on my face.
:yarg:

Oh well, at least it's an excuse to mostly take a day off work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Didn't cross my mind that Carl Weathers would be passing anytime soon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got news today that my employer, stereotypical megacorp, is doing megacorp things and rolling out voluntary early retirement offers to our longest term (ie: most expensive) employees but only in the USA.

Please oh please bring it to :canada: as well.
I'd happily sign a ironclad non-compete clause in exchange for a hefty buy out and benefits for an extended period of time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You're generally correct, especially if you're laid off. But if it's a voluntary buy out like this, a well written one is likely to stand up as it will be contingent as part of the offer and compensation agreed to.

Either way they're pretty common regardless, being an American megacorp is pretty much a guarantee.

And I'm fine with that for something like this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IANAL but have spoken to a few about employment law.

My understanding is basically, in Canada, the courts as a rule of thumb (not always but generally) will value each year's service with 4 weeks of pay, *plus* any benefits/retirement saving contributions on top of that.. or something along those lines.

So generally speaking, a voluntary package will reflect *similar* numbers.

So yeah, a 30 year employee could get 30ish months of pay, plus potential benefits or $$ in lieu... Or combination. Or even just keep paying them monthly potentially for years.

It's funny how that's appealing to companies, but I suspect it's accounting wizardry as these people are still getting paid but aren't technically on the payroll as employees anymore, therefore looks better for investors!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That does makes sense, but in my company's case the way they've done this most recently (2019) was actually paying the employees that took the package every month like they were still on the clock.... for years in some cases

So. Yeah.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Coivd booster trip report - stiff arm, horrible metal taste in the mouth, feeling a bit tired. Otherwise, no issues.9/10,will get boosted again

I guess the covid / flu combo booster is just plainly going to hit a lot harder because your immune system is trying to deal with two seperate things at once? Anyway going ot just get the flu booster later as a solo.

Also agreed, while I didnt like the covid/ful shot the actual flu sucks sooooo much worse. Also I had a long recovery time much like long covid - and NOW they loving tell us that yes, the flu actually CAN give you lingering problems. Geee thanks for that now, why didnt the doctors know that 5 years ago, is it because it's only now long viral issues are front and centre and it's being paid attention to?
I did the booster a few months back shortly after they announced the updated one and needles/injections do not bother me but it did hurt the most out of them. Not sure why that is. I think I had some soreness for a couple days but nothing crazy. I don't recall a metallic taste that others seemed to have.

Nothing like the shingles vaccine though. It felt like I was taking a hit of bleach.

Agreed with better than the flu. People that say "Oh, the flu isn't bad" either forget how bad it can be or just had colds. A bad flu is really rough. You can see how people can literally die from it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

I'm doing the timing belt in my AE86 GTS and the cost and rarity of of the "while you're in there" stuff, is a pain in the rear end. an 4.8/5.3 LS is probably cheaper if you don't have the engine yet.
:cries in porsche:

quote:

Speaking of my truck, someone broke into my truck outside Home Depot today, completely hosed up the door lock to the point where it doesn't even lock anymore. They tried to start it with something plastic, stole my 4xl winter jacket and a bag of stuff from princess auto that had the receipt in it. They dropped a small backpack of drugs and phone chargers in the truck so they're probably about as pissed off as i am.

Someone found the princess auto bag in a store parking lot a couple blocks away and drove to princess auto to get it back to me. I figured the thieves would have tried to return the stuff with the receipt but obviously found something better in someone elses vehicle.

I'm going to mount the largest air horn i can find under the dash and mount it to a button in place of the original ignition cylinder. I'm almost tempted to shave the door handles too.
For fucks sake, loving meth-head backpack zombies. I'm sorry to hear that man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

73 Mark IV with the 460. the 7.3 is the powerstroke in my truck. The two combined are 14.8 liters and nearly 450hp.

On the other hand, displacement in trucks is going down.

The F-150 offers a 165 ci 6 cylinder, Smaller than the 170ci i6 in the first mustang.
The two engines offered in the 2025 Ram 1500 are 220ci and 183 ci

GM is rumored to be coming out with an 8.3 liter Duramax
My company issued Silverado has a Turbo 2.7 4cyl (164 c.i.). 310HP - 430lb/ft

It sounds like the jetsons spaceship, but not going to lie, it seems to be a great engine. Better than adequate power and if I'm gentle on the accelerator it gives very good fuel economy for a full size pick up.

I have some curiosity with longevity. So far, 30,000K in, so good.

If I needed to buy a truck with my own money for ~reasons~ I'd absolutely consider a Gm/Chev truck with the engine.... but gently caress me, the GM infotainment is so awful it would probably be the dealbreaker over anything else.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Siochain posted:

My work truck at site has this same engine, and good lords it feels horrendously weak/gutless. Maybe a different transmission ratio. Also gets butt-assed horrid mileage. Might be a lemon, but no way in hell I'd touch it. Ecoboost F150 gets way better mileage, and my Powerboost absolutely wrecks it. And, yes, the infotainment is...so bad.
Really? Is yours the first gen 19-21 or 22+? There is a pretty major difference in torque between them. The one I drive is a 23. Something like ~90lb/ft difference for the newer ones.... it's pretty big.

I'm able to get mid 20s MPG fairly easily often high 20s long as I'm not pushing a hell of a headwind. I think my record was 6L/100KM but that's certainly not the norm.

I find the motivate factor is generally pretty good but if you mat it at a not great place on the curve it indeed feel gutless but I find getting into the boostu from lower end instead of already up high seems to work well, presumably because of the gearing at that point as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Siochain posted:

It's a 22 or a 23 (I'll check this week when I get in to site.)
Driving it on the highway the best I hit was about 22, doing 80 no wind. 6l/100km is drat good - I've almost hit that on the Powerboost doing a solid 90 between T-Bay and Winnipeg. My average is about 25-30 depending on how heavy I am on the pedal.

Today on flat rear end prairie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mr-Spain posted:

Was going about some random stuff on the SS and me and my buddy were kinda suspect about the condition of the oil; cut it open to some glitter;

Going to sell my whipple to get some cash for a local builder to do a 416 stroker on the LS3, with cam and a converter for the cam.
Oof. Yeah that's not.... ideal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing. I'm actually arranging a couple next week for 2 of our industrial clients and I can't wait until we do it. The ones I've done previously have been universally well received and the attendees could have easily went another few hours... which if you've ever dealt with a bunch of tradespeople and technical people at the same time, they usually can't leave fast enough.

With the mention of anti-seize here, I will say that the vast majority of applications would probably be better served with a medium strength thread locker as opposed to a lubricant (which is what anti-seize is).

heffray posted:

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.
I don't have my manual in front of me, but if it is really runny it might be either aged out (it does have a shelf life) or it might be a "wicking" kind... not really wicking in the classical sense like capillary action, but some loctite will actually climb a fastener and go between the threads of a bolt/nut. That stuff is pretty thin and runny compared to the other stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

totalnewbie posted:

Would you believe that my customer and I were once discussing the possibility of installing one of our products with loctite at the factory? And they asked us if we had a recommendation for which one to use.

...no, we don't have a recommendation for what loctite product to use on a part that is supposed to be serviceable.

(It was a very "this is last last last resort" sort of discussion and not one really taken seriously, but more of "well, gotta ask for the sake of due diligence.." and in the end no loctite was used. As we expected. But boy that was an interesting discussion)
It should be a fairly simple selection process with the right reference. Loctite/Henkel has an awesome quick reference guide with a flowchart on which product to use depending on the application. I have hard copies in my office, but I'll see if I can find a .pdf I can link to. My quick search as I typed this leads me to all sorts of guides, but not the one I'm thinking of. If I can find a e-copy I'll post it later .

Regarding thread lockers, there are more than a few kinds but the biggest issue is does it need to be removable or not and the size of the fastener. Also what the fastener is made of, and hence require a primer/activator or not. You should be able to remove a medium strength thread locker with hand tools and not require heat and a unga-bunga.

I did have to correct one of the loctite tech guys regarding retaining compounds and bearings seats. He was mentioning how much better a hold on a bearing seat with a compound is versus an interference fit (which, in plain shear I believe him) but they totally neglected to consider pre-loading that happens to a bearing when interference mounted which is often required for proper operation. Changing a bearing from a specifically engineered interference fit to a slip fit with a retaining compound is not always a no brainer and could easily have ramifications... even if interference mounting can be a pain in the rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Off the top of my head, I suspect convenience store/liquor store clerk are also higher.

Along with Firemen, many of which also have pretty enormous egos but I'd say less than most cops.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a good question. I would have assumed it meant oilfield but those crane operators, and heavy lifting trades in general have the potential to be very dangerous. In my small city alone I know of 2 fatalities in the last couple years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wistful of Dollars posted:

why millimeters.

I'd get even centimeters but why millimeters.
3.1e+9nm

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Safety Dance posted:

I had a poorly translated instruction manual tell me to use a 1/5" drill bit once. That's an imperial size I never knew existed.
LOL

Like you said, probably something poorly translated from oh, 5mm or something and rounded it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Saw my first cyber truck today. It really is ugly.

i really did see one and the wall was better looking
Literally lol'd

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

Been absolutely swamped and social battery continuously drained since I took a board position on a 120 athlete rowing crew. The amount of deferred maintenance on $250k of boats is insane. But, I am taking a break. And I bought an alcohol still. :toot:

I don't really drink much more but this is up my alley and always wondered about a home still.

Do you mind sharing where you picked it up?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did you replace your belt at the same time?

A slightly shorter belt but manipulated on can give way more overhang load on bearings than spec.

Or, it could just be a lovely pump

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gorgeous day here yesterday. Did my first yardwork of the year and grilled a great steak and had several beer. Since I've been dry, it's really the first alcohol I've had in months.

Worst sleep in ages, tossing and turning. Stayed awake for good at around 4:30AM and finally decided I might as well get out of bed and make a coffee at 5:45.

God damnit, I knew better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't even bother replying. Another reason why I have a burner phone for the odd time I sell/buy poo poo.

What's worse:

Lowball trolls?

Sellers that don't advertise a price or just as $1 and 1234 mileage?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think you're 100% on the money

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Take my motorcycle out for a ride yesterday (minty Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours) to the grocery store. Get inside, start my shopping and about 2 minutes later a customer comes up to me

:buddy: "Hey, is that your motorcycle across the street?"

:v: "Yes, its probably mine."

:buddy:"Well, it's laying on its side"

:v: "Oh crap, did some one hit it?"

:buddy: "I don't think so."

gently caress.

Go outside, indeed it's laying on its side. Plastic bits smashed forming a perimeter of around 15-20 feet.

That said, as I get out an older lady about 70 years old gets out of the car in front of it, holding her insurance info and obviously nervous. She just says "I didn't see it when I was backing up" (it is a big bike and it was parked perpendicular to the curb, she just didn't pay attention).

But, as soon as I saw her I pictured my mom and I just wanted to calm her down. I thanked her for sticking around as I thought it was going to be a H&R. I probably looked like a piece of work as I wearing my bike gear but also just returned from competing in a martial arts tournament and I am presently sporting a pretty nice subconjunctival hemorrhage, so the white of my right eye looks blood red and a couple days of beard growth.

Got her insurance and license info and she didn't have a pen or her cell to take any pictures of my stuff so I told her I'd stop by her house (small town 10K people) and I'd get it to her.

I kept trying to calm her as she was so nervous and I asked "Do I seem upset to you?" And she replies no, so I say "Then if I'm not upset, you shouldn't be more upset than me. We'll deal with this. That's what your insurance is for."

And she seemed to calm down a bit.

I think there is a 50/50 that her insurance company will try to write my bike off as its 14 years old and low mileage, but the tupperware and bodywork is expensive.

But I couldn't be mad at her as she tried to do the right thing and didn't bolt.

gently caress my life.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as I am made whole (which really is a question) is going to be the big thing here. If it is written off and the buy out is cheap enough I might try to buy it back but we'll see.

I really don't ride it much anymore, especially now that I have the 996 so it definitely takes the back seat as my nice weather vehicle. Will cross that bridge when I have an idea of whats going on.

I guess I had the right to be pissed off, but it would have gained me nothing at that point and I probably would have felt worse by yelling at some old lady that was already stressed. The damage was done. She was nice enough, owed up to it and didn't try some bullshit like somehow trying to blame it on me. She did what she could in the circumstances.

meltie posted:

You're a good person.
:unsmith: I hope so.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's just a motorcycle dude :v:
LOL I think you're being sarcastic buy yeah, it is and why I wasn't mad. The gently caress my life was just the weekend in general

It was just a lovely weekend. Working with about 3 hours of sleep for the previous 2 days, including a half day of competition sparring in between them and 6 hours of highway driving.

I was exhausted and I basically felt like that Ben Affleck meme afterwards. All I wanted was to buy some lettuce and hamburger buns for a simple dinner and not open up some new ordeal that I have to deal with.

e: this was me

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FWIW, spoke to my insurance company today and it sounds like the old lady was good to her word and her insurance has accepted 100% liability. I basically just now have to get it to the dealer for an estimate.

I give it a 50/50 it's a write off. Basically all the plastics on one side of the bike plus the front fender are damaged plus the bag on the other side. The bags going to be about $1000+ ea alone.

Happier times :smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not giving up in it yet, still might be able to save it. The shop can't get it in until the 22nd for even the estimate, so I guess 2 more weeks until I have an idea.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A naked Concourse would sure be something :v:
Interestingly enough, about 10 years ago I was doing some work on it and took a photo with much of the front plastics off

Yeah, it's pretty much :can:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ether Frenzy posted:

I am happy you're happy with the insurance company's telling of the story but in 100.01% of cases where someone operates their vehicle into a parked vehicle they don't even bother asking "I understand you were 46 when 9/11 happened. Much has changed since then. Did the stationary object... surprise you?"
It came out of nowhere!

Seriously though, I don't really care what her insurance company does to them. All I cared about is I'm not having to fight her/them on the liability front.

Her insurance company is one of those companies that cater to seniors so they probably get this poo poo all the time.

FWIW, The bike was perpendicular, so parked at a 90 to the curb. There is zero chance it wouldn't be visible in the rear view mirror. It's obviously a pretty big bike, probably more visible than my 996 would have been parked behind her. So yeah, she just didn't look, or even notice it when walking up so there is definitely a :psyduck: when stuff like this happens.

e: INTERESTING. I just googled her insurance company, Bel-Air direct.
It's owned by Intact insurance.

Which is *my* insurance company.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 8, 2024