Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Michigans pretty chock full of really cool cars, because, you know… Michigan.

But that only applies to domestics. You see a hell of a lot more Ford GTs than you do Ferraris. Lambos are all over the college towns though.

"wait, that car just started being sold? But I've seen them driving around for years" - me every time there's a noteworthy new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Any of you actually seen the proposed tier 4 multipollutant regulations from the EPA? 13% YoY fleet reduction in CO2 (which includes BEVs) with the assumption of something like 50-60% BEV sales by 2030.

So if you think that's likely then okay, but if not then there's going to be huge downward pressure on CO2 emissions from ICE.

You're much more likely to get a fun vehicle out of hybridized cars that can give you that torque via electric motors than a big beefy engine. Downsizing and turbocharging have been a trend for years and it is definitely not reversing course.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 11, 2024

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

slidebite posted:

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing. I'm actually arranging a couple next week for 2 of our industrial clients and I can't wait until we do it. The ones I've done previously have been universally well received and the attendees could have easily went another few hours... which if you've ever dealt with a bunch of tradespeople and technical people at the same time, they usually can't leave fast enough.

With the mention of anti-seize here, I will say that the vast majority of applications would probably be better served with a medium strength thread locker as opposed to a lubricant (which is what anti-seize is).

I don't have my manual in front of me, but if it is really runny it might be either aged out (it does have a shelf life) or it might be a "wicking" kind... not really wicking in the classical sense like capillary action, but some loctite will actually climb a fastener and go between the threads of a bolt/nut. That stuff is pretty thin and runny compared to the other stuff.

Would you believe that my customer and I were once discussing the possibility of installing one of our products with loctite at the factory? And they asked us if we had a recommendation for which one to use.

...no, we don't have a recommendation for what loctite product to use on a part that is supposed to be serviceable.

(It was a very "this is last last last resort" sort of discussion and not one really taken seriously, but more of "well, gotta ask for the sake of due diligence.." and in the end no loctite was used. As we expected. But boy that was an interesting discussion)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Raluek posted:

i hope it was a sensor and not a spark plug, lol

dont they ground through the bung, anyway? i guess you'd get enough displacement when tightening that there'd be sufficient metal-to-metal, but it still doesn't seem ideal from an electrical standpoint either.

Sensor largely do not ground to vehicle chassis anymore. Maybe some still do; I know very little about cars outside of what's directly (and indirectly..) relevant to my job heh

In the end, the issue was resolved with changing the installation torque. Much better...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know you're being completely facetious but the amount of things we go through to take care of very small edge cases that is probably never going to happen but could so we have to design for it is.. a lot. And to basically anyone you'd say, "Why on earth do you have to do that?" and the answer is "because when saturn is in sagitarrius rising and jim and bob get a wild idea in their head to take this car out on this road in this driving pattern this can happen so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know how much you guys care, but if nobody mentioned or if you weren't aware, EPA released their final rulemaking a little while back.

LDV gCO2/mi annual reductions from '26 (ref) to '32. These reductions in fleet include HEV/PHEV and ZEV.

Total Fleet ..................................................... 168 170 153 136 119 102 85

EPA's central analysis case has BEVs at 56% at '32, 29% ICE, balance HEV/PHEV
The high HEV/PHEV case is 35% BEV, 17% ICE, 13% HEV, 36% PHEV.

And a bunch of other changes that make it more strict.

Just something to look forward to in the future for all you petrolheads.