Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to a football game yesterday to watch my lovely local team play like poo poo but it was sunny and 70 degrees so i can't complain too much it was perfect football weather.

Same today, warm and sunny, cleaned off the boat to take fishing this week as it's gonna be perfect conditions might have to do three days in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah and it knocked me flat on my rear end for a solid week after Thanksgiving. The coughing was worse than what I had with Covid.

I had it last year and it was easily the sickest I have ever been in my life second only to food poisoning. I would gladly take Covid over RSV all day long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I moved to western New York for two years for work and went back to Florida with my tail between my legs, gently caress that poo poo never again

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

What a whiner you are.

I still have the Buffalo Bills to whine about so there's that :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my Scion gets 22 city and only 23 hwy cuz I'm doing 75mph most of the time lol, plus it's shaped like a box so that doesn't help much at speed either

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

That seems crazy. I get 35mpg in my Fiesta ST at the same speeds. How is the Scion so inefficient?

It has the same big four cylinder (2.4) that's in the same year Camrys mated to a four speed transmission, plus it has almost no aerodynamic qualities whatsoever lol

I'm fine with it tho because it scoots really well, great torque off the line for what it is and it's bullet proof reliable. Handles really well with summer tires and aftermarket sway bars too, and can tow my little fishing skiff no problem.

I laugh when I see adds for them for sale as a "gas saver" :v:

The Door Frame posted:

My xA with the 1.5L gets an average of about 25 MPG when i drive it since it is not meant to go fast or be driven aggressively, ever.

And this, my foot is always in it cuz it scoots so well around town so that doesn't help either. Honestly crappy mpg is it's only flaw unless you don't like the way it looks.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 14, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So my very young adult niece (brother's daughter) just totaled her car a few weeks after my brother put $500 worth of brakes on it and she only had two payments left on it. She rear ended someone (she's ok not injured) on the interstate and is denying being on her phone which my brother suspects she was doing as apparently he's talked to her about doing it before. She then proceeded to pay a tow truck driver out of pocket instead of using AAA (my brother had her get it for poo poo like this) and had it towed to her house.

And he just found out her license was suspended for not paying a previous ticket, my brother is livid to say the least. Yay kids!

After I found out she was ok I joked that it probably would have helped if she used the new brakes he got for her :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been thinking about maybe getting V6 Camry, 2012-2014 SE or 2015-2017 XSE "sport" models with low miles.

Would probably have to travel to get one they are like the hen's teeth of Camrys lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

While very few Camry buyers opted for the V6, the Lexus ES came with the V6 standard. It'll be trivially easy to buy an ES, especially in the state of Florida.

Well aware. However it's pretty soft, more of a grandpa car and the dashboards are wacky. I like the more sporty interior and simple dash in the XSE Camrys much better and the dampers are tuned a bit tighter, I'd like the least amount of float as possible lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

ehhh seems like youd be better off buying something actually sporty?

I just want a plain and simple cheapish sedan that has the 3.5 V6 in it, with a simple dash layout before things started getting dumb with touch screens. I really like the sporty-ish XSE black interiors (with alcantera seats and door panels! lol) but it seems that 80% of them are all four cylinders.

And if I got a Lexus I'd just get the GS, no point getting the ES if I'm gonna go that route.

My wife just got a new IS350F and I really like that motor now :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

gently caress Dubai, I'm a straight white guy and I'll never go. The idea that a totalitarian state "functions" better as a city than a city in the democratic West is laughable.

Imagine being a woman trying to navigate that place, gently caress that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes, reminds me of the Skyway incident down here in FL in the 80's, same thing happened. A greyhound bus went into the water and 35 people died, it was nightmare fuel and made going over that bridge scary as hell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

A certain fucko is responsible for that, "DEI" is getting thrown around as a general insult for PoC now. It's infuriating, and none of these racist fucks even understands what DEI is.

What do you mean of course they do silly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Earnhardt,_Inc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So for the first time in my life I got a legit Pizza injury that sent me to the ER.

Typical mistake of taking a bite too soon, the cheese slid off and went over my lip burning it pretty good, blister soon after and an eventual sore/scab. Almost a week later while it's still healing, I woke up in the middle of the night looking like i got in a fight with Jake Paul, the entire left side of my face was sore and my lip looked like Kim Kardashian's rear end fresh out of plastic surgery.

Seeing as an infection like that anywhere on your head is very much no bueno, I hightailed it to the ER and after paying a $400 co pay to hear "yep that's an infection" got some antibiotics I get to take for the next ten days, which is GREAT for people like me with crohn's disease......NOT.

All because of a slice of loving pizza :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It was a frozen California Pizza Kitchen brand, BBQ Chicken. Not bad actually for frozen.

My son had just made it and I just went to grab a slice quick not realizing it just came out of the oven and YOWZA

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Amazing how one little instance can really gently caress your poo poo up for awhile, like if had picked up that slice a minute later it would have been fine. It's all you think about when you're sitting in the ER with your face swelled up, like how the hell did this happen lol. Even the doctor that looked me over was like "How did this happen again?" then "I've never seen or heard of this kind of an infection caused by a slice of pizza before" making me feel like a total dumbass for managing to be the guy that baffles the doctor.

At least I'll have a good story out of it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

What's the icd11 code for "mouth infection subsequent to pizza burn"

PZ425OWW

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Coworker accidentally inhaled half of a red-hot microwaved turkey meatball the other day which got lodged in his throat and burnt the hell out of him - be careful out there folks, not only are food prices going to put us all on the streets but the dishes themselves are actively rising up to hurt us.

Jesus, I can't imagine burning the inside of my throat like that, that's a whole new level of I hosed UP

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Man, imagine just straight up dying from something like that in a pre/post antibiotic world.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I imagine if it went unchecked it wouldn't be that long before the infection made it to the brain.

In fact that's the only reason I went to the ER, I could have saved $300 by going to the walk in, but it was 4 in the morning and I didn't want to risk waiting until 10am to go to the walk in because the left side of my face did not feel right at all and it worried me, the pain was getting into my ear and I was like this is not good lol, I knew I needed some antibiotics asap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Just watched the movie "two lane black top" starring James Taylor and Dennis Wilson. Thought it was good but kinda weird at the same time. I've heard it described as "easy rider but with no drugs, and cars instead of motorcycles".

It's a good AI type of movie imo, and the weirdness makes it good. James Taylor isn't the greatest actor which gives it some of that weirdness lol.

I had a copy on VHS back in the day, I wonder if it's on Blu ray now.

If anyone in AI hasn't seen it yet it should be required viewing on some sort of AI movie list.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dennis Wilson is also the beach boy who was in thrall to Charles Manson because Manson brought him 14 year old girls to have sex with. James Taylor sang Carole King's "You've Got a Friend" and made it somehow more treacly, it's up to the listener to decide who is actually worse.

Dennis Wilson has been long dead and James Taylor's music is horrible so I guess it all worked out :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I love replacing something that lasted 10 years, and turning it into a 6-12 month maintenance item, because the OEM part costs as much as the car, and everything else is a random grab-bag quality wise.

Ignition coils/coilpacka are the main offender IME.

Sometimes the OEM parts suck tho, pretty sure my Scion needs ball joints already and it has less than 60k miles on it, highly doubt I'm gonna spend a premium for OEM ball joints to replace them if that's the best they can do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, I've got all these already thanks. The beach boys stuff was some of the first things I thought of lol

Don't know if you saw already but there's some more obscure Beach Boys stuff besides the standards. Cherry Cherry Coupe, Custom Machine and No-Go Showboat off the top of my head maybe a few more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Steve McQueen by Sheryl Crow is a good one

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I gave my bottle of anti-seize away when I left New York and moved back to Florida :v:

I did recently finish a bottle of brake grease tho, that lasted me a good ten years probably, the brush was all hosed up and pretty useless by the time I chucked it.

What's funny is I need to do the rear brakes on my Scion but I don't want to buy another big bottle again since I don't work on shitboxes much anymore. Guess I'll just buy a little tube of it this time lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

People that just send a lowball number and nothing else are trolls, I usually tell them to gently caress off

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had some kid troll me when I was selling some fishing stuff, lowballing and trying to be funny asking dumb questions so I played along for a bit before deleting it

Turns out it was one of my son's buddies from school and he had no idea, he was just randomly trolling and my son was like uh that's my dad :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

If you still have some of the fishing stuff, you should just give it to the kid.

My son has given him a bunch of stuff over the years, all the kids in his school that fish know each other and they trade and give each other stuff all the time. Lures, hooks, extra rods and reels and stuff if someone needs it.

I guess he felt bad about trolling me but he wasn't being a dick or anything so I didn't care, I thought it was hilarious :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NoWake posted:

My friend and I were both kids of divorce, and both our dads lived in the same town about 30 miles away from where we did. Same neighborhood, just blocks away actually, but they didn't know each other or who any of our friends or anything. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Once when I was in the 5th grade, I went and visited my buddy while he was at his dad's for visitation, it must have been over spring break. My own dad had no idea I was in town, had no reason to expect me, and I didn't reach out to let him know. That's the kind of relationship we had.

Anyway, my friend and I walked over to my dad's place while he was at work, got inside and turned all the lights on and the TV, opened the cupboards and closet doors, took the phone off the hook, poured a bowl of cereal and left it, ran a tub of water and threw towels in it, basically did everything we could think of short of actually trashing or destroying anything. Locked up, re-hid the spare key and left.

He never spoke of it to me, but I remember hearing him tell a friend about the time his house got broken into. He moved 2,000 miles away when I was in 7th grade, so I feel it was pretty good timing on my part.

Sounds like my dad! Hauled rear end across the country to shack up with his side piece. At least I learned from him what not to do and I have a great relationship with my son.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

man, m-pars really do look good on almost anything :allears:

The OEM Ford copy of M-pars on my old Crown Vic Sport were probably the best thing about the entire car lol

I miss that land barge :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing I don't work on cars too much anymore, these days my rage comes from just driving around and dealing with complete idiots on the road.

The smartphone has hosed things up in so many ways but for driving it has to be the worst, the amount of people i see on their phones while driving is astonishing

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

gently caress my life.

It's just a motorcycle dude :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I definitely would have gone off at her for not paying attention. Like yeah nobody got hurt but the amount of hassle it causes you because she couldn't be arsed to just look is.... gently caress off.

You would have gone off on a 70 yr old lady that was apologetic and clearly upset about it? Lol geez.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

LOL I think you're being sarcastic buy yeah, it is and why I wasn't mad. The gently caress my life was just the weekend in general

Yeah I was being sarcastic but I get it, lovely weekend topped off by that would be the "of course" moment :v:

At least you didn't take it out on the old lady tho lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh cool a Concourse. My brother has one from the 80's it's mint. But also very fragile :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A naked Concourse would sure be something :v: