Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Who would this person be? Must be a big shot. Cybertrucks ain’t for sale, just the 10 “delivered” as far as I know.

MR is local to the Gigafactory, so probably someone that works for Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bolind posted:

I caught covid for the second winter in a row, on the 31st, back at work but stille feel 20% like rear end. I'm not loving it.

Had it back in October. Finally got the latest booster last week and it's almost like COVID round 3 :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't even know WTF I have, I just know everything hurts a whole lot, I can't think to save my life (might be missing some required equipment for that), and my glucose is doing a good impersonation of a roller coaster. Woke up at 35 mg/dL last night :stare: and asked my GF how she got into the hotel with me and who she was. (we were at home)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine's bigger. :colbert:

Abby... Normal.... Igor... Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

.. not a home test though, took about 30 minutes, and we won't even discuss what the best medical system in the world (/s for those who need it) charges for something like that. they billed my insurance almost $9500, no clue what insurance actually paid

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 9, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Higher concentration of coolant vs water. Usually a chart on most bottles of concentrate.

Toyota Red is rated for down to -56C/-69F at 65% coolant/35% water. But the more coolant vs water, the less effective it is at transferring heat,

Darchangel posted:

I *hate* pulling the radio on the Outback…

What, you don't like those screws up in the ashtray?

:stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

And now my furnace seems to not be working. loving awesome. I've tried flipping all the breakers, emergency heat, temp changes, etc...

Join the club. Woke up to a modest 55 degrees inside - not the end of the world, just a "wait, it's set at 65". Eventually hit 44 inside, heard a loud click from the furnace, it heated up to about 55. Then another click and back to circulating cold air, and it's now back to 40ish.

It's been acting up for a bit - I've been taking the cover off and smacking the high limit switch. Violence seems to no longer work. Maybe I should have called maintenance a couple of months ago...

Best part: Nest thermostat won't let it shut off - it's now below the lowest emergency heat temp Nest allows (40), had to yank the drat thing off the wall to keep from getting blasted with cold air.

My garage alarm is being lovely too. It thinks the overhead door is always open (wireless tilt sensor attached to the top panel of the overhead door - rated down to 10F, which is roughly what we hit yesterday). I'll have to open it up and smack it - it uses a little ball bearing in a sealed capsule to detect when it hits a 45 degree angle, I bet the capsule shrunk a bit from the cold. Upside is the alarm has that as an exit zone that auto bypasses if not closed in time..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

We plugged random stuff into all the kitchen outlets (chargers, webcam, radio, whatever) with all the breakers off then one person flipped breakers on and the other took notes. More of a pain with only one but still not too bad and if you have enough random electronic junk you can knock out all the breakers in a relatively short amount of time.

My last apartment in the Dallas area (1 bedroom with a galley kitchen) had 7 breakers for the kitchen. 1 for the dishwasher. 1 for each of 5 counter outlets (one shared with a living room outlet), 1 for the light (shared with the entry light and vent hood). Not counting 240V, there was something silly like 20 breakers for the place, almost all 20A (when that place was built, you normally only got 20A in the kitchen). I never did figure out what every breaker did except for the kitchen, since it was seemingly 1 breaker for every single outlet in the place. Someone was clearly paid by the hour.

My much newer/slightly larger apartment here in Austin? Not counting 240V or dedicated appliance circuits, there's 5 breakers for the entire place, all 15A except for the kitchen (which is one circuit for 7 outlets - don't think about making coffee and using the air fryer at the same time).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

Good way to find any bad connections in the line, especially if you have a Zinsco or FPE panel.

I like that there's 6 20A circuits in my kitchen.

1 is dedicated to the fridge (good!)
1 is a single outlet next to the sink.
1 is every single other outlet in the kitchen, including an outdoor one.
3 are ????:confused:

I have dedicated circuits for the dishwasher and fridge (and the garbage disposal is probably shared with the dishwasher - they share a duplex with the hot tab snapped off), but I lumped those in with dedicated appliance circuits (same with the clothes washer outlet).

We also have a weird thing where the dishwasher requires a switch at counter height as a disconnecting means. I have no idea why, but I've lived in several cities that required it. It's always a :confused: when I go to turn on the dishwasher and it won't turn on, then look at the switch-that-never-gets-used and notice it's off (helpfully, it's next to the garbage disposal switch... on the wrong side of it even). The drat thing plugs in under the sink (usually.. there's been a couple where it had an outlet behind the DW itself), why can't that be the primary disconnecting means?

In my parents house, it's in a 3 gang box. The middle switch is the dishwasher, the furthest is the garbage disposal, the one closest to the sink is for the light above the sink. :fuckoff: I always meant to swap them around to make a little more sense, never did though. I feel like the one closest to the sink should be garbage disposal, then light (if one exists), with dishwasher the furthest.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 18, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could say I'd forgotten that tab only once, but at least in my case, both feeds were on the same phase (turning a duplex into one switched, one constant).

Glad I wasn't near that, I would have crapped a bit. Could be worse; you could have fed 240 into the new lights. :v: Or had Stab Lok or Zinsco never-trip breakers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Today's checklist is done.

Rode bike to pharmacy to get insulin and pump supplies. Completed that successfully.

Got lunch..a very healthy chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. The green beans made it healthy!.... Right?

Gkt hit by a car heading home. Somehow this is where things get fuzzy (I'm sure the huge lump on my head is unrelated)

Random person claiming to be a nurse drove me to the emergency room after confirming nothing critical was broken. I know she had black scrubs on with her name embroidered, said she worked in a nearby hospital. The color of scrubs suggested ER doctor. I was in no shape to argue - she helped me into the back of her car and asked if it was too painful to put on the seat belt (no). Black scrubs with both local hospital systems denote a full blown ER doctor - or denotes a full vet. Either way, she checked vitals, made sure I could stand, and helped me into the back of her car.

Don't remember poo poo after that, except what's left of my bike somehow made it home, and my gf isn't speaking to me. I know I have a broken eye socket and black eye, and I have stitches above my eye. I don't even know what hospital I wound up in (I'm sure I'll know in a few weeks when the bills show up, but the nearest is a medium size regional hospital, probably wound up there).

Have paperwork from local. PD about a hit and run with "moderate to severe injuries" and noting I was transported by a private vehicle. I have zero recollection of dealing with police. Or hospital. Or even anything much behind getting into the back seat of a later model. RAV4 and putting on my seat belt, and being handed half a box of gauze and ordered to keep pressure on my forehead. I did get a chuckle when I said "well poo poo, I guess I'm leaking, huh?".

I know the person who took me to the hospital works in medical care of some kind. I don't know if they're the one who hit me or not (I think the car in front of them did). She had black scrubs with an ambroidered name, so I'm assuming either an ER doc or a vetrenarian.

My everything hurts, pretty sure I broke a rib or two, my GF won't even talk to me now, and the room won't stop doing the tilt a whirl poo poo. Which tells me I probably. went to the regional hospital that rarely even has someone on hand for xrays.-closest hospital. Don't have any paperwork from any hospital tho.

GF said she did not pick me, or my bike, up. I know I've puked at least 5x at home that I know of.. She probably thinks I got hammered, but this is more concussion poo poo. I think.

I'm hindsight I wish I'd waited for ems, but that's a $1500 bill for them to just show up. Transport doubles it. And they balance bill (insurance might cover 100-300.. For AL'S)

Tl;Dr today sucks, but I'm alive. For better or worse. Still trying to figure out why gf won't talk to me - I know I have some kind of concussion and probably didn't make much sense when I got home. I guess the upside is I have a king size Sterns and Foster bed to myself for the night.... Just gotta find a new bike now. I REALLY liked that bike damnit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 19, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

trilobite terror posted:

I’m glad you’re alive dude. Did the person who picked you up/dropped you off at the hospital not leave any identifying information with you or the hospital/cops?

I don’t mean to impugn a probable Good Samaritan but you ending up with a near-total absence of information strikes me as really shady. Presumably you got some kind of witness statement, etc from them if you ended up with a police report, right?

Yeah, I need to get the full police report - I know her first name, that's it. Things are a blank more because I whacked my head pretty good (bad enough that I broke my RX sunglasses, and have a bunch of stitches above my eye - also a golf ball right there, NO YOU CANNOT PLAY GOLF WITH IT). I remember the entire ride with her, we were talking about random bullshit the entire time (with her handing me more and more paper towels, I was leaking worse than I thought).

Safety Dance posted:

You're concussed. You need to be evaluated for that. If you need somebody who isn't concussed to have a conversation with your girlfriend to figure out why she's not speaking to you, I'm sure any of us could do it.

Yeah, I'll be going back for an evaluation on that, but I slept without dying, so.... And it turns out she was just cranky from being really tired - she moved to the couch because I was snoring so drat loud. I woke up around 11, and kept trying to wake her up to come to bed and whooooooo boy was that a bad idea (she is EXTREMELY cranky when woken up).

The Door Frame posted:

You've had all the CT scans, right, no internal bleeding or swelling? I can practically read the post concussive symptoms in your post, and hearing that you "probably" have broken ribs does not fill me with confidence that you should lose consciousness alone. Wishing you the best man

Had a CT (can't WAIT for the bill on that, insurance doesn't cover CT or MRI until I hit my $8000 deductible, then I still have to pay 25% - but xrays are only $10/ea without regard for deductible, go figure). They did say I had a "mild" concussion, but released me. Bits and pieces are coming together, I know for sure which hospital I was at now (the closest one like I figured) - it's a medium size (~120 beds, level IV trauma center) regional hospital that's very hit and miss in the ER, but was pretty decent the one time I've been admitted.

I need to look over my renters and automotive insurance to see a bicycle and associated injuries are covered. I know Progressive automotive policies cover a whole lot more than just injuries from a car wreck, and we carry very low deductibles/fairly high limits. But our insurance tripled when I got added back to it (since, uh, legal issues), so that's kind of a last resort.

More pissed about the bike at this point - it was a really nice, mint (especially considering its age - it was older than some forums users) Cannondale MTB that I got a lot of fun out of with nothing more than a couple of sets of tires and tubes. Yes, Cannondale made MTBs. It was a beaut, Clark. I MIGHT be able to fix it with new wheels and a new fork.. I don't know how badly tweaked the frame is yet, I'm gonna have to haul it down to a bike shop and see if they think it can be saved (it's a rare enough bike in a very rare color, I think it's worth it). I think it was one of the rarest colors for that line though, so finding a matching fork won't be easy (I've never even seen another one of these IRL since I was in high school, and online searches have never turned up the same color).

Overall I feel a lot more coherent today. Definitely not 100%, but I haven't been 100% in years anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 19, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's a fully rigid mid 90s bike anyway. I'll be hunting ebay for as long as it takes to get the right fork if the shop gives the frame a clean bill of health (been wanting a different front crank set anyway). The paint on the bike is (well, was) MINT (and I'd expect no less from the person I got it from, they're extremely meticulous with everything they own). Despite being rigid, it's very much worth saving simply because it's such a well preserved, drat near factory condition bike, despite me catching LOTS of air with it on a few trails near me (Suburban Ninja is tits, even after the fire; a lot of the offshoots of Brushy Creek Trail are good too). I found the Walnut Creek BMX trail by total accident once too - literally - flying down a trail by my old place, and OH gently caress I'M NOT ON THE BIKE ANYMORE WHERE DID IT Goh it just landed in that berm aw gently caress this is gonna hurt

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah almost positive it's a 26" (been a few years since I had to order anything for it), it'd just be nice to find one with matching paint and stickers. Though worst case I can get it painted.

I'm serious when I say the paint on this looks brand new, almost like it'd been waxed weekly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 20, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

In other news, I bought another house yesterday. Kinda just popped up, a 1500sqft cape on 4 acres bumped up against a new development of $1M houses. Estate sale, previous owners were in the house 60 years and took incredible care of it. Plans are to pull up carpet, refinish wood floors, repaint everything, figure out the mess of a kitchen, then rent it. In 5-10 years, do a lot split and sell the house and 1 acre and have the back 3 acres to build a forever house... Goddamn a bunch of big rocks moving all of a sudden.

Nice bonus? It has two out-garages and a shed. I'll use the shed for storage and the smaller garage for a workshop... I've wanted a workshop for decades.

Plot twist: the HOA for the neighboring development will attempt to assimilate the property and fine you to death for disallowed outbuildings. And the color of the drapes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh.

Apparently I had a court date on the date I got hit (thanks lawyer for not letting me know - glad gmail stores everything - he never let me know via email, text, or phone call)

I let him know I'd been hit by a car and was in rough shape, mentally and physically. "Will you go back into rehab? Since you got hit by a car it sounds like you were drunk." What the gently caress dude, I have a literal brain injury and you think I should go back to rehab because some rear end in a top hat blew a stop sign doing easily 3x the speed limit? I barely remember the past month and can barely talk, and apparently that means I was playing frogger while chugging a 40.

I'm happy to go back into rehab if someone will pay for it, except for the whole "no money" bit. I'm couch surfing on a good day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 24, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

What the gently caress?

Good question. Scummy either way, but more so if government employee.

He's sucked $8k out of me so far (original estimate was 3k), but I've been told in absolutely no uncertain terms to not discuss anything regarding my personal life ever again on SA. All I know is I'm going to jail for anywhere from 3 days to 5 years with no access to insulin, all because I got loving run over by a loving car (early Mercedes ML with paper tags). Been homeless for drat near 6 months, just didn't mention it until the other day. I guess that's E/N and FORBIDDEN.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 25, 2024

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I appreciate it. I know I have an incoming permaban for revealing the whole "don't ever talk about your poo poo on here and don't you dare mention anything in this message" tho. Those of you on the FB group know how to get ahold of me. If you don't, Meatpump and a few others know how to reach me.

I'm just loving done with life, and SO loving done with the loving gatekeeping in here. This is likely my last SA post.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wroughtirony posted:

Not that it means much, but thoughts and prayers and good energy. Keep advocating for yourself and your health.

I appreciate it. Apparently having ANY kind of insurance disqualifies me from just about every kind of aid. I only qualify for govt insurance because I'm poor AF, but having poors insurance means I don't qualify for poors financial aid. FFS!

And judging by the PM from CT, I'll probably be gone very soon for good. Love you guys, 85% of you have been awesome, and of those 85%, I probably have 80% on FB. Those of you on FB know how to reach me. I need to figure out who to hand the FB group to someone else (probably kastein - sorry Ken, but you're one of the most sane ppl here); I'm done with AI after this. Just loving done with the damned gatekeeping going on, and I know damned well I'm far from the first.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 25, 2024