Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, depends on your definition of decent, but some I enjoy combing through occasionally:

Melancholy as a Breathtaking Aesthetic Emotion

So does letterboxed have an option to automatically sort by poster color or is this person just that kind of insane?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

So does letterboxed have an option to automatically sort by poster color or is this person just that kind of insane?

Lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

That became a trend for a while, if you browse the most popular lists, that is a common theme.

EDIT: motif, rather

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 26, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

trevorreznik posted:

I caught Female Prisoner Scorpion last night and was blown away by the camera choices and movement throughout. I had no idea how exploitative it was going to be and was really surprised at how much talent went into making a movie about that kind of subject matter. Wow.

It probably helped I watched it one day after Poor Things, which I really disliked because of that movies choice of lenses. Ugh.

definitely check out the sequels, especially the second one

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Amazing series even if the subject manner does make it hard to recommend in polite company.

Pure cinema but also absolute sleaze.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I only have oddly specific lists

Films featuring the undead riding horses
https://boxd.it/chX9O

Merman movies
https://boxd.it/loLRY

Parker adaptations
https://boxd.it/frj9m

Your merman list had better include Zoolander.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Female Prisoner Scorpian is perhaps the greatest movie series of all time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I wasn't even aware of City Hunter's source material, nor the Jackie Chan film, but I thoroughly enjoyed the new film on Netflix. It definitely has pacing issues towards the end and it is quite unsuccessful mixing the serious with comedy, but it was definitely a fun roller coaster. The film left me almost exhausted how fast it was going. And honestly I even enjoyed bunch of the cinematography, especially in the beginning, even if it was largely aided by CGI. But the film definitely left me grinning a lot of the time. Even choreography was pretty decent even if aided with rapid cuts, bunch of it felt how the Cowboy Bebop adaptation should have been to a degree.

Oh and the original theme definitely slaps.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
RUN, don't walk to see Challengers, it hits the back of the net with a slam dunk of a film. Luca Guagdanino has really scored a hat trick with his latest heavyweight of a movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I only have oddly specific lists

Films featuring the undead riding horses
https://boxd.it/chX9O

Merman movies
https://boxd.it/loLRY

Parker adaptations
https://boxd.it/frj9m

Your first list is missing Survival of the Dead and your second one needs Cabin in the Woods.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maintaining a letterbox seems exhausting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Singing Guns and VHS Massacre

Singing Guns has almost no singing. There's like three songs, all by the one guy. And he has a weird gimmick voice. The rest of the movie is fine, it's it's generic Western way.

I did enjoy that this small podunk wild west town has exactly one woman in it, and she just happens to be the most glamorous woman in the world. There's like three buildings, but this lady apparently has a closet full of sheer bejewled gowns. And she's not even a hooker, she's like the sheriff's girlfriend. Where does she get these things?

VHS Massacre was disappointing. It purports to be a documentary about the rise and fall of VHS, but it's really not. they talk a bit about VHS shops with people who have interesting things to say, mostly Lloyd Kaufmann, but the bulk of the movie is just this guy and his friend kinda loving around. They fuckin run out of stock photos of old VHS shops really early on too, they just keep showing the same photos again and again. The whole thing is structured very poorly. Way too much runtime is dedicated to the fact that they did a lovely version of Red Letter Media's Wheel of the Worst once on their podcast. Can't recommend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carpet posted:

RUN, don't walk to see Challengers, it hits the back of the net with a slam dunk of a film. Luca Guagdanino has really scored a hat trick with his latest heavyweight of a movie.

Did you like Bones and All that much?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

definitely check out the sequels, especially the second one

FreudianSlippers posted:

Amazing series even if the subject manner does make it hard to recommend in polite company.

Pure cinema but also absolute sleaze.

For sure, looking forward to the second.

I made two gifs of what I really enjoyed from the first movie

death stare

And the ZOOM OUT ZOOM IN poo poo was delightful

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Your first list is missing Survival of the Dead and your second one needs Cabin in the Woods.

Updated.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Eh it's pretty easy

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just saw Challengers. Loved it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Eh it's pretty easy

Idk I can only imagine that film geeks are stepping up to you 24/7 to ask you to add Shattered Glass to your list of films featuring a kid wearing a backwards baseball cap

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Jay Rust posted:

These (wrong) examples predate Disney Star Wars anyway

I don't fuckin care about star wars

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carpet posted:

Teeing up to watch this later today!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Saw Challengers yesterday too, it's fantastic. It's also nice to see the return of movies that are just deeply, deeply horny for every actor involved. It feels like the whole concept time travelled here from 1996, in the best way possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Challengers is a mainstream movie that’s both smart AND sexy. It’s been way too long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I saw a thing and apparently every actress that's played Mary Jane Watson in a Spider-Man movie has also now been in a movie portraying a pro tennis player.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Idk I can only imagine that film geeks are stepping up to you 24/7 to ask you to add Shattered Glass to your list of films featuring a kid wearing a backwards baseball cap

They dont

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
While reading through Hiroyuki Sanada's wiki page, I discovered that he acted in a 2018 movie called "The catcher was a spy", a film I have never heard of.
These are the people that were cast with him.
Paul Rudd
Mark Strong
Sienna Miller
Jeff Daniels
Tom Wilkinson
Giancarlo Giannini
Guy Pearce
Ben Miles
Paul Giamatti
Connie Nielsen
Shea Whigham

That's a wild loving cast, has anyone seen this? It was a total flop, I guess it's bad or boring or both. It was scored by Howard Shore, like wtf?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is it generally accepted that Luca Guadaginio has a thing for eating and mouths and stuff?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is that title supposed to be some kind of pun on The Catcher in the Rye?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I saw a thing and apparently every actress that's played Mary Jane Watson in a Spider-Man movie has also now been in a movie portraying a pro tennis player.

I don't think Zoë Kravitz has.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gaius Marius posted:

Live-action only, I assume. Kirsten Dunst (Wimbledon), Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes) and now Zendaya (Challengers).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

Or Melissa Sturm. So it’s a double-sided curse; if you play live action Mary-Jane you will play a tennis player in the future, if you play animated Mary-Jane you will never play a tennis player.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jay Rust posted:

As a log of stuff you have and haven't seen, it's great, and I like the lists when they're interesting.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just saw Challengers, it's good. Final 5 minutes is top tier.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is it generally accepted that Luca Guadaginio has a thing for eating and mouths and stuff?

I don't think the two guys eating each others churros was an accident!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Live-action only, I assume. Kirsten Dunst (Wimbledon), Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes) and now Zendaya (Challengers).

*comic book nerd voice* Emma Stone did not play Mary Jane

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Imagine knowing Zendaya for anything other than Meechee

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

distortion park posted:

Just saw Challengers, it's good. Final 5 minutes is top tier.

Oh yeah, I thought the final two set pieces were amazing. I could hear people in the theatre audibly groaning and getting confused / frustrated, but I sense that they were there for the threesome scene* since the audience perked up there and then seemingly deflated after, and occasionally jeered at the film. Not a great crowd.

I thought it was a great loving film though.

*the entire film is basically nothing but threesome scenes, metaphorically, but you know the one I mean.

distortion park posted:

I don't think the two guys eating each others churros was an accident!

It's all over this film in particular, and there's a bit of it in the HBO miniseries he did. Plus the erotic cannibalism film he did and a few other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://x.com/umedachanka/status/1784233218964607314