Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
New year new genchat!

old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I resolve to watch movies this year

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Just like the poo poo I start on Plex
I forgot I've seen 10 times.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Happy New Year, Generation Chat!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Same.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Bright Bart posted:

How to Have Sex became available very recently here and we watched it before looking at the fireworks. Those were a much needed palette cleanser let me tell you!

I didn't understand one part of the narrative, though. Tara (the protagonist) hints to her friend at the end that her first time wasn't consensual. She was clearly assaulted more recently, but she first told her girls that she slept with the boy presumably in that scene where she kind of mumbles her OK for whatever they did while they're lying on the beach. Was she referring to that and not the later more blatant rape? Or did they not end up having sex on the beach and the rape was her first time? I mean, it doesn't matter all that much. Your first time can be spectacular and something you fully initiated; if that same person wakes you up a few days later with penetration that's bound to be traumatic. But it was just confusing.

I think the simplest interpretation is that Tara's describing the entire experience undivided rather than talking about the first night in isolation. But we know she felt off about that first night, we saw her walking back stunned through the apocalyptic looking Strand. And there was lots of bad stuff going down: they're both very drunk, she wasn't very keen on his advances, he's proved to be a lot stronger than her, she's on the rebound after Badger betrayed her, and she's feeling great pressure from her more experienced friends to do it. She's had her agency chipped away from all angles. I'm sure even Tara didn't know how she felt about it straight away - I think the second night crystallised it for her. But I'm sure the story intentionally placed that first night on the beach in the murkiest ground - if you come away thinking about it then I think the film's done its job.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
gently caress you all, you bunch of tasteless nobodies! I mean, happy new year, friends!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Wow. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

And I can't edit my post now but I feel icky using the word "first time" especially in reference to the second night if that's when actual intercourse had first taken place. For the same reason I dislike to term 'losing your virginity' because whatever that was meant to mean once upon a time this ain't it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Happy New Year, I declare 2024 to be The Year Of The Movie!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gripweed posted:

:hmmyes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flying Zamboni posted:

Happy New Year, I declare 2024 to be The Year Of The Movie!

The age of cinema is over. The time of the Movie has come!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Movies eh? It'll never catch on or or redefine art.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Imagine a Tiktok that goes on for almost two hours

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

Oh no

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djR-0lyQtik

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

This is just AGGRO DR1FT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Documentaries: imagine a video essay that's only two hours long

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Where would all the recapping go?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don’t think Spiritual Kung Fu would fly with the ASPCA, I’m pretty sure Jackie Chan really killed that chicken.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
decided to kick off the year by finishing Out 1

off to a bad start!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I started watching a movie on like December 29th and only resumed it this afternoon, is that my “last movie of 2023” or my “first movie of 2024”?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

El Pipila posted:

decided to kick off the year by finishing Out 1

off to a bad start!

Should’ve gone with Spiritual Kung Fu, this movie is nuts.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

first ever cinema discusso movie of the year thread is signed and sealed.

top 15 movies posted starting on page 3 here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ground floor bitch

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hello everyone, Happy New Year.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
What's our watch counts for last year? I managed 247 in total, 157 at the cinema/film festivals. Only 30 at the cinema were projected from film prints, but that did cover 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm and IMAX.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I work from home though, so probably half of those I only paid partial attention to while answering an email from some rear end in a top hat.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I hit 127, and logged and wrote a few sentences about each of them, which was one of goals.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A mere, pathetic 139 movies

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

Thats what you say every year!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blood Boils posted:

Thats what you say every year!

And guess what? I'm already halfway there!

I watched Spiritual Kung Fu. Not bad. A lot of really good kung fu. It's definitely more of a normal movie than Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, but it doesn't reach the heights of the final action sequence from Half a Loaf. There's one bit where Jackie Chan is sleeping with his head up on a pillow and his legs up on a desk, and the ghosts move the pillow and the desk but he stays in the same position, it's very clearly just Jackie Chan holding that pose perfectly still completely unsupported, and it's insanely impressive.

I just need to watch one more movie I will have watched movies (plural) this year!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched a movie once.

Maybe twice.

I don't remember.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
ok on episode 6 of this terrible show. i still dont know anyone's names except lucky. so weird how he went on to do basically nothing after the show :(. also the dude from eurotrip is in here playing the same character. he plays it well tbh. i cant wait until im done. they tried to do a little Sobbel thing too with the officer stealing the chest, such a strange 20 minute arc with zero payoff. i would love to have been a fly on the wall in the writers room for this loving abomination, im curious to know where it went off the rails, there's no way it started off this bad. 'cause it's just all so bad and askew. the cinematography is truly baffling. theres never like a background, just foreground and foreground. it's confusing. the establishing shots are closeup too lol, like when there's a jump cut to them back on a boat, you can just see a little water in the frame cause it's 95% face. weird decisions everywhere.

also i laughed at the scene and musical cue when the guy sees lucky sleeping and he's like "lucky?? oh god oh god oh god, this is bad folks real bad" and all it was the dude keeps peeing himself lol. you cant show me 4 episodes of dudes getting their bodies blown apart and entrails all over and zoom on it all then expect me to feel......sad? was the scoring cue? over some pee pee. call me when you're making GBS threads organs okay

edit: i get the feeling they told rami malek to act worse and he just did what he wanted anyway because there's at least some life in his scenes

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 2, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone interested in a game based on a movie?

Edit: Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 2, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look at all this gold dripping from the fountain of inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO_yCuaXsGQ

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3K-PEEF1c

this one doesn't look half bad

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/1741885864114786786?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShoogaSlim posted:

first ever cinema discusso movie of the year thread is signed and sealed.

top 15 movies posted starting on page 3 here

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

You can always make the Best of 2024 So Far thread and post your picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bright Bart posted:

You can always make the Best of 2024 So Far thread and post your picks.

But I watched them in 2023, Jerry! 2023!