Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Manchester Museum has recently reopened after a major refit, and has an excellent Egyptology collection, among other things.

The Science and Industry Museum has plenty going on, if you're interested in planes, steam trains, etc.

There's a section of replica Roman fort not far from Deansgate Station, to replace the one that had a railway run through it in the 19th century.

I've always liked "The Temple", a bar in a converted Victorian underground public toilet. Maybe that's a bit more niche, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I thought the Science and Industry Museum was complete shite, and unusually love anything like that

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

is this Affleck's in manchester related to manchester by the sea star Casey?

God, that film is so loving good. I never want to see it again but it’s incredible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I think you can just message MachetteZombie saying you want to make the thread for May or June or whatever. Or let him know in this thread.

Edit: or that ^^^^

To follow up since I was in the middle of something when I posted that link:

In the op there's a link to this web form that'll let you sign up for a month. You don't have to name the movie, just pick a month you'll OP. There's also a link to the historical list of films picked for motm so you don't pick one that's been chosen previously.

I'm probably behind by a couple months updating it so you can ping for any missing info, but I'll try to clean it all up tonight.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Science and Industry Museum is having a big refurbishment so lots of it is still closed off. The main building is still open however and they do daily demonstrations of cotton being spun into thread on these large threshing (?) machines.

Failed Imagineer posted:

And also go see the giant head of Engels

It's a full statue, not just a head! and it's outside HOME.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

It's a full statue, not just a head! and it's outside HOME.

Oh yeah sorry I was mentally conflating it with the Marx head. Yeah it's cool and blocky and stern. And HOME is v nice I saw a cool queer musical opera thing there last summer

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A good movie where scientists act like scientists is The Andromeda Strain

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Monkey Man is pretty good except they chicken out on having the main character brutally murder Narendra Modi the current prime minister of India and hardcore Hindu ethno-nationalist despite him obviously being a character in the film.

Much like fellow topical action film The Beekeeper where the Beekeeper kills Hunter Biden but somehow spares his mother Hillary Clinton.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nationalist death squads will probably still target Dev Patel so he probably shouldn't have bothered holding back because the rest of the film makes it very obvious who the real enemy is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FreudianSlippers posted:

Monkey Man is pretty good except they chicken out on having the main character brutally murder Narendra Modi the current prime minister of India and hardcore Hindu ethno-nationalist despite him obviously being a character in the film.

It feels like a sequel hook, which I hope it gets because Monkey Man is absolute kino. I’m in love with the monkey man and want to make out with him (with mask???).

Bring back the small dog. It writes itself!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole first half with the protag infiltrating a highly secure classy location and figuring out how to bypass security measures and access VIPs felt very Hitman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In retrospect it's very funny I saw Monkey Man's trailer in front of Fighter.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Saw The Terminator last night - its been a hot minute since I last saw it. The film holds up incredibly well but the optical effects, the fake Arnie head and the scars on Kyle Reese's face are victims of the HD age. Still, I'm reminded why I like and prefer this film to the sequel which I also like quite a bit. Film's just gritty as heck and not just the content, which paints a more bleak picture of the future than the second film, but just the low budget lends itself to the atmosphere of the story. Kyle Reese is among my favorite fictional characters because he is so utterly outmatched by The Terminator, he has to use every bit of his ability to fend it off. Him and Sarah Conner really have to work together to get through the ordeal. The way he's played is perfect - he never turns off. He's so high-strung and focused. You believe that a couple days before being sent into the past he was fighting on a battlefield and it shows in the way he fights in the film's present.

Arnold and Linda Hamilton are also perfect. Arnold refines his performance in the sequel but what he delivers is a chilling depicting of a machine wearing human skin - especially the assault on the police station. Cameron makes a setting full of people who can defend themselves scary. Despite all the carnage you're scared for Kyle and Sarah that the Terminator will just show up around a corner. Sarah Conner is your down-and-out, unassuming woman played flawlessly by Linda Hamilton. Works a suck job, has a suck boyfriend who is thrown into this extraordinary, confusing and deadly situation with a machine who wants to kill her and this really intense guy who is there to protect her.

The only thing I wish we got more of was Kyle and Sarah bonding. I think Cameron knew this too because that's the entire movie in Terminator 2. But what's there is really well done - really tender but in a way from a character probably doesn't even know what the word tender means. It's all very earnest. I think that's a big reason why I like the first one more. There are some bits of the sequel that are a bit too on the nose, The Terminator, while outclassed by liquid metal, is still a machine that can withstand punishment no human can so it does rob the movie of some tension (just some).

But yeah, the film affect me more so than it did my last watch and I'm not sure why. Maybe I appreciate the film-making more and it's from a James Cameron that doesn't exist any more. There's a sleekness to his films that isn't present in The Terminator and there's an edge that he lost, even in Aliens. Still a fan-freaking-tastic director but he hasn't directed a film like The Terminator since. This and T2 are a perfect one-two punch. Even though T2 is a soft remake of the first you can buy that the machines sent back one more terminator to try to turn the war they already lost (since Reese says as much) and it doesn't diminish the sacrifices made in the first film. Everything after T2 doesn't exist in my mind, at least not as canon. They do those characters dirty and makes a mess out of the whole thing.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 24, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Terminator tv show is way the gently caress better than it has any right to be, but all of the later movies are at best fun trash. The first two films are without a doubt absolute classics that you can show to almost anyone and they will like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FreudianSlippers posted:

Much like fellow topical action film The Beekeeper where the Beekeeper kills Hunter Biden but somehow spares his mother Hillary Clinton.

I need to get around to watching both of these

By the way was Wrath of Man worth looking at

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As much as I love the first terminator movie, Reese would absolutely reek of piss and b.o. from wearing that homeless guy’s pants, there’s no way anyone’s thinking of sex with that kind of stank going on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

As much as I love the first terminator movie, Reese would absolutely reek of piss and b.o. from wearing that homeless guy’s pants, there’s no way anyone’s thinking of sex with that kind of stank going on.

You would be surprised at what women will put up with.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

You would be surprised at what women will put up with.

Yep, just read the r/relationships thread.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
By the time of Terminator 2, it's clear that Sarah has spent some time stinking of piss and BO herself. Maybe she's into it?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

therattle posted:

Yep, just read the r/relationships thread.

I'm pretty sure the same authors write all those posts.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Probably couldn't kill modi in a movie. Big industry.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I hate this

https://www.anzacsquare.qld.gov.au/virtual-veterans?cid=

The government made a chatbot that pretends to be a soldier from world war one named Charlie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The primary role ANZAC forces played in WW1 was giving the Ottoman Empire one last win a few months before it stopped existing. It’s pretty embarrassing for Australia.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

They fuckin' lost grousemly over like three months

Anzac biscuits are pretty good though

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Losing a war so badly it makes you develop a national identity is a pretty big L.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Aren't you Norwegian?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

all i know about ANZAC is the parts of Gallipoli i remember from high school (i should rewatch, Peter Weir goated director) and the creepy ANZAC tribute scene from Wake in Fright (which i should also rewatch)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Peccadillo posted:

Aren't you Norwegian?

I wish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reminder that there's a universe out there where Arnold played Kyle Reese and the Terminator was played by OJ Simpson.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

They fuckin' lost grousemly

:dafuq:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Reminder that there's a universe out there where Arnold played Kyle Reese and the Terminator was played by OJ Simpson.

Someone asked Cameron about and he said the idea was floated to him by an exec, but Cameron says he shot it down immediately and that Arnold’s claims that OJ Simpson was cast at some point are wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Terminator is pretty low budget, Arnold was almost entirely unknown unless you followed professional body building, where OJ would have probably been way more famous at the time. Could the film have actually even afford OJ Simpson at that point in time?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't see oj accepting to play a villain (happy to be proven wrong)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Conan was a hit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

He is more of a tragic figure. Going to his grave without being able to avenge his wife's death.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

He had that prank show

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a name for the subgenre of drama that's like, "person (usually a guy) is very passionate about a thing, is very good at it, and can't help but hurt themselves and their loved ones in pursuing it"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Christopher Nolan movies

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Air Skwirl posted:

The Terminator tv show is way the gently caress better than it has any right to be, but all of the later movies are at best fun trash. The first two films are without a doubt absolute classics that you can show to almost anyone and they will like it.
It's much smarter than it has any right to be, but it looks like dogshit. Every scene looks like the same set was just used to film a commercial for dog food or paper towels, with all the same people involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a name for the subgenre of drama that's like, "person (usually a guy) is very passionate about a thing, is very good at it, and can't help but hurt themselves and their loved ones in pursuing it"

Ah, the classic Billy Elliot / Batman.