Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hoppity Goes to Town much??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvREOqe1_M&t=259s

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

considering going to see Boy Kills World this weekend.

the Spy x Family movie was the movie for the AMC Unseen like a week or so ago feature where they show a 'surprise' movie, usually an advance movie coming out in the next few days.

many said like half the theater walked out by the end lol.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Australian animation rules now with Bluey. They just need to make a 60 minute movie for a billion dollars.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Just rewatched The Cable Guy and I think it might have become my favorite from Ben Stiller. Carrey is magnificent - this is the first chance he took to make something more character actor and less broad rubber face - and he loving nails it. He is given that movie style ability to be a psychopath who always does what’s needed which might be a slight misstep - the scene where he plays the perfect guest at Steven’s parent’s implies a level of empathy and human understanding that would preclude a lot of his insanity.

But this is a horror movie at its core, so setting him up as the needy but psychopathic driving force makes it all work in context. If things are a bit unrealistic (Steven getting arrested) - that’s because his character is locked in to an inexorable heightening of this nightmare (which the dream sequence sells beautifully).

Despite the inherent horror movie core, the movie stays very funny to the end, and gives Carrey a really early chance to get dramatic and show his chops. Watching it again I realized how many quotes I still use today - I even have the Medieval Times Star Trek sting effects stuck in my head - BBBLLLLLLLLLLOCH BLLLOOOCH BBLLOCH!

One last under appreciated factor: the whole film seems to be Ben Stiller processing his thoughts on tv. He lovingly references old Star Trek while the twins trial is mocked relentlessly. And the last message seems to be TV can be good, but stop watching reality tv and other slop and do something better with that time.

Anyways, this role is perfect for Broderick and he’s good in it, but this is really where Carrey tapped into his dramatic side and formed modern Carrey. Great direction by Stiller, and it was gratifying to see him get a bunch of friends some early credits.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

checkplease posted:

Australian animation rules now with Bluey. They just need to make a 60 minute movie for a billion dollars.

Well the good news is they just made a 28 minute special that is effectively the bluey movie, the bad news is that's the last bluey we're getting for a while.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wanna see that Brother Sweet Brother made for tv movie with Eric Roberts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

Strapping them to a chair like Clockwork Orange and making them watch Inu-Oh

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

when i saw the previous animated Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayham movie, I was surprised at how many horror movies they played for the preview like The Nun

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

Well, final verdict?

More like a first impression, but I feel like the duck was not as down & dirty as advertised!

Like, it threatens to be this kind of “Falling Down” story of a proto-incel (in 1974!) (like, did CBoyardee watch this?) before turning oddly wholesome as he literally gets in touch with his feminine side. Rather nice stuff from a typical unerotic 1970s sex comedy.

I’m honestly going to have to watch it twice, because there’s both such a density of often-contradictory information, and no clear entry point. Is it the pygmalion reference? The association of this ersatz Donald Duck with imagery of tattoos and tattooing? The implicit-but-unstated “good duck”/“good gently caress” joke? Alls I know so far is that the twist is great, and the collaged backgrounds are cool art-school stuff. Whoever made this was clearly trying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pinocchio was the clear winner of the Oscar no matter what, but it would have been nice for Inu-Oh to get a nom. Thought it had a chance after the Globes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pinocchio was the clear winner of the Oscar no matter what, but it would have been nice for Inu-Oh to get a nom. Thought it had a chance after the Globes.

it's the singular masterpiece of a director who has never made a bad film or show, one of the greatest animators alive, and half the time it feels like even weebs barely know he exists

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Roth posted:

Animation is Cinema guys only know Shonen anime and Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks/Spider-Verse anyway it's fine

This is unfair. They also know Del Toro when it helps them win arguments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's the singular masterpiece of a director who has never made a bad film or show, one of the greatest animators alive, and half the time it feels like even weebs barely know he exists

And the culmination of a period of five years that was like one of the best streaks for a director I've ever seen. Just nonstop bangers one after another for half a decade.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This thread regularly asks stuff like “which director had the longest streak of excellent films” or “which decade is Zack snyder’s best decade” like that means anything. Here’s a better question: will Disney ever allow a black Sith Lord?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's a far worse question

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

James Earl Jones is rolling in his grave bed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jay Rust posted:

Here’s a better question: will Disney ever allow a black Sith Lord?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Jay Rust posted:

This thread regularly asks stuff like “which director had the longest streak of excellent films” or “which decade is Zack snyder’s best decade” like that means anything. Here’s a better question: will Disney ever allow a black Sith Lord?

Wasn't darth maul a black dude?

E: no was not nevermind

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Peccadillo posted:

E: no was not nevermind

No he was Polish.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

black and red, specifically

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These (wrong) examples predate Disney Star Wars anyway

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wasn't there a black lady sith in one of the shows? I thought I saw a black lady Sith action figure at the store the other day

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't there a black lady sith in one of the shows? I thought I saw a black lady Sith action figure at the store the other day
she’s not a sith she’s an inquisitor

Bet you did not expect that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

she’s not a sith she’s an inquisitor

Bet you did not expect that

That's what Inquisitors look like in Star Wars? That sucks, she was just all in dull black. Inquisitors should have some flair. Inquisitors should look like this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dunno where to post about this, but just caught the remaster of Metal Skin and it's really loving gorgeous and insane. Reportedly the Australian film with the most number of total cuts, which I dunno -- both Baz Lurhmann and Fury Road exists -- but the editing is kind of remarkable and the colours look really gorgeous.

Sort of a petrol hoon film but more of a film about the economic collapse of Melbourne in the 90s, with Aden Young and a very very young Ben Mendelsohn trapped in a series of terrible terrible pants, and ends with a really loving great race set piece.

I should probably track down more of Aden Young's filmography, he was so good in this and Rectify. Can't believe he's doing poo poo like Law And Order: Toronto now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

That's what Inquisitors look like in Star Wars? That sucks, she was just all in dull black. Inquisitors should have some flair. Inquisitors should look like this

Dave filoni

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The man who has gradually increased the size of his cowboy hat every year since 2006 doesn’t understand flair?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lmao

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody got any decent Letterbox'd lists worth going thru?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://boxd.it/jAXG0

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Already done that one!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, depends on your definition of decent, but some I enjoy combing through occasionally:

Melancholy as a Breathtaking Aesthetic Emotion

Decades: The 1950s on Film! - Films set in the 1950s, not produced in the 1950s. There's also links to 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s lists

Digital Uncanny - Movies with obvious or archaic CGI

Cybertronic Movies: Techsploitation Cinema

Secular Visions of the Afterlife

End Credit Raps

Films Featuring Stop-Motion Dinosaurs

The style IS the substance

I Was a Teenage Juvenile Delinquent Rock’n’Roll Horror Beach Party: Teen Exploitation Film from 1954-1969

Post-Apocalypse: The Future Sucks

And I'll throw a couple of mine in, because I want more suggestions for what to put in them:

Space Fantasy (that isn’t Star Wars) - Films that take place on other planets but contain no explicit references to Earth or Earthlings.

Movies That are Basically Scooby-Doo - Silly mystery movies that capture the same camp vibes of Scooby-Doo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

here's one that i made

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Poor Tremors 4, missed it by one

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://boxd.it/q98fc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just trust the netflix algorithm that keeps recommending forrest gump and moneyball to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I started a brothers Letterboxd list where real life brothers share screen time together but gave up interest pretty quick. The idea was inspired after watching The Long Riders (and Men At Work).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite list I started but will never finish is Every Sequel Ever. Would be fun to find weird and forgotten sequels and hidden gems. But it feels like a huge chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only have oddly specific lists

Films featuring the undead riding horses
https://boxd.it/chX9O

Merman movies
https://boxd.it/loLRY

Parker adaptations
https://boxd.it/frj9m