Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parker Posey is the greatest Actress in history, anyone who disagrees can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So good in Beau

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

So good in Beau

Needs to be a best bit player Oscar to recognize her role in that film. Every second she is on screen is loving hilarious and tragic.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

Can come post anyways, fun to still read lists.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I've been watching "Post Mortem: no one dies in Skarse" and its pretty good. Why is Scandinavian vampire stuff so cool, Let the Right One In was one of my favourite books as a teen and the movie was great

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 2, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Peccadillo posted:

I've been watching "Post Mortem: no one dies in Skarse" and its pretty good. Why is Scandinavian vampire stuff so cool, Let the Right One In was one of my favourite books as a teen and the movie was great

Don't be tricked. Despite the name, Norway is actually a Greek vampire movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

post in the thread anyway, i would love to see your list

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

The Peccadillo posted:

I liked how Let The Right One In basically takes place in what looks like a post-Soviet state.

Actually now that I think about it all the gritty Scandinavian novels take place in either Communist blocks (which I have no actual knowledge about but seems reasonable) or desolate small towns (which seems less so).

The Bridge may be an exception to this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

*Social-Democrat blocks

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I might watch a few movies this year

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I rang in the new year with Grown-Ups 2. What an ugly, hateful sequel to an ugly, hateful movie.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

American Fiction is solid. There is a character introduced in the first act that you think is going to be a huge, fine part of the film but makes an immediate exit. But it's still solid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bright Bart posted:

American Fiction is solid. There is a character introduced in the first act that you think is going to be a huge, fine part of the film but makes an immediate exit. But it's still solid.

Have you seen Bamboozled? The trailer made this look very similar, like a version of it with the edges filed off (which I could see being for better and worse- you lose some of the interesting material that using a less-established style nets you and the fiery didacticism of the original work, but you’d also lose some of the self-consciously arthouse shabbiness and the “director’s second screenplay”type rawness.)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rewatching the whole Cornetto Trilogy tonight.

One of my favourite parts of Shaun of the Dead is all the uniquely-dressed zombies with unspoken backstories. Like the guy in the cycling garb and headphones, or the one-armed kid that gets into Shaun's flat who looks like a groomsman. Or that all the zombies attacking them outside Barbara and Philip's place look like hooligan chavs.

Starting Hot Fuzz now, which is easily the best of the trilogy and probably my favourite cop movie ever. These guys are so good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you watched Spaced you get to see the bicyclist’s backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sF6Lnxl8ZA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, I haven't seen Spaced in Ages. I wonder how it plays these days, now that having strong Star Wars opinions isn't the marker of a nerd so much as of an incredibly tiresome person.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ruddiger posted:

If you watched Spaced you get to see the bicyclist’s backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sF6Lnxl8ZA

Oh lmao, thanks. I've been meaning to give this show a watch.

The re-use of the "never taken a shortcut before?" gag in HF is such a great piece of physical comedy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

https://www.ign.com/articles/mickey-mouse-horror-game-devs-respond-to-neo-nazi-and-ai-claims

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can’t just let Nazis co-opt a number lmao. That’s fuckin stupid

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

If only T Swift had been born 1 year earlier she’d have a different album title and that’s what everyone would associate ‘88 with. Unfortunately everyone born that year who uses it in a user name somewhere is now a secret Nazi instead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My second movie of 2024 was The Raid: Shadow Legends. It's very good!

I had never really felt a strong impetus to watch it, because I'd only really heard about it after Dredd came out and mostly in terms of how much it was like Dredd. and I really liked Dredd so I figured, "I already have Dredd"

But I did watch it and it is very similar to Dredd but also does it's own thing. While Dredd has more of a focus on good story and characters, The Raid brings way more fighting. And the fighting is great and brutal. I've never seen a hero character stab so many guys. My one real criticism is that it doesn't really escalate well, so towards the end it's just more really good fight scenes. But that's enough to make me happy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

the reason nobody can portray traditional swastikas, which are positive symbols, is because everyone is too afraid to have it misunderstood for the co-opted nazi symbol. and people are only afraid to have it misunderstood bc other people are so quick to claim something is nazi-coded. it's a vicious, stupid cycle.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So are we still doing threads for movies? Was surprised 'Poor Things' doesn't have one given how well it's been received and how wonderful the movie was.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

make one and ill post in it

whether you do or not, one thing i missed when seeing it (probably because i was laughing too hard along with everyone else in the theater) was why willem dafoe's character was burping up those bubbles. it happens a few times and i was confused every time even tho it was always funny

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/MexicansOfLate/status/1742385753005375490?s=20

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aye aye.

It's explained by Dafoe when the student first eats with him - it's a side effect of his father's experiments on him. I think it's the first mention of it, he says something like "father wanted to see if someone could survive without glands to make gastric acid. Alas, you can't." Bubbles are presumably a side effect of him having to get rid of the gas added from the machines.

Really loved that too, reminded me of a Twin Peaks Returns kind of visual.

Can't help but imagine this horse seeing the same fate as the one in the movie. Plastic bits, everywhere.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 3, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Past Lives is not free on streaming yet

Has anyone seen it yet. It it worth buying on Blu-ray blind

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Past Lives is not free on streaming yet

Has anyone seen it yet. It it worth buying on Blu-ray blind

Extremely good. Not sure it’s a rewatch film but worth seeing at least once.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If only there was some way to rent blurrays! Perhaps a convenient website where they'd send you the disc along with return packaging?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

distortion park posted:

If only there was some way to rent blurrays! Perhaps a convenient website where they'd send you the disc along with return packaging?

Umm, is... is there?

I thought the only places to rent physical discs now are:
  • the municipal public library, which, actually might have some cool stuff so check it out
  • your aunt who started a collection and is deep into sunken costs by this point in time
  • a nerdy neighbour who groans about the lack of bonus features on Netflix, which he is right about but all he has are the Marvel films
  • that Facebook swap group that's actually a front for cult/MLM recruitment

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Redbox is still around! 3 miles from me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They took the Redbox out of the local gas station and Hyvee, I would have to go to a loving Walgreens if I wanted to check out a film.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Umm, is... is there?

I thought the only places to rent physical discs now are:
  • the municipal public library, which, actually might have some cool stuff so check it out
  • your aunt who started a collection and is deep into sunken costs by this point in time
  • a nerdy neighbour who groans about the lack of bonus features on Netflix, which he is right about but all he has are the Marvel films
  • that Facebook swap group that's actually a front for cult/MLM recruitment

I was joking about how it used to be something that was easy and cheap, but no longer is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

at the library, renting movies is easy and free

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Escobarbarian posted:

The same could be said about them co-opting a symbol of prosperity and longevity, but here we are.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

at the library, renting movies is easy and free

Cheers to my local library system for carrying Western and noir DVDs, jeers for not carrying blu-rays.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This may be kind of an E/N post, but it involves film literacy and I needed to get these thoughts down somewhere so this seemed the best place.

There's a kind of film genre that I've been noticing as a through-line in a lot of recent movies, in particular the ones that a person I know is apparently very drawn to; it's the kind that centers around a protagonist who is billed as ~having a DREAM~ that is all but a compulsion in nature, something he has to pursue, something the pursuit of which is presented as implicitly noble. Examples: The Astronaut Farmer (Billy Bob Thornton's dream is to build a rocket and fly it into space himself), Ford v. Ferrari ("WHO ARE YOU", "A RACING DRIVER"), The World's Fastest Indian (Anthony Hopkins must set a speed record at Bonneville or die trying). Also a lot of sports movies and biopics about musicians; films like Ali and Ray come to mind.

The person in question seems to find what I think is an unhealthy amount of self-fulfillment in projecting himself into these movies since I'm pretty sure he envisions himself as being exactly this kind of person, whose dream of Jonathan Livingston Seagull-esque speed or flight or achievement of physical breakthroughs is so self-evidently noble that everyone around him should just immediately understand and self-sacrificially support it.

And there's nothing wrong with the way these stories are presented in these movies at a conceptual level; it's fine and laudable to want to push yourself to achieve great things. But I also think it foments a poisonous feedback loop in some people's minds who are predisposed to a certain kind of self-centeredness and contempt for society and "normies" (for lack of a better word). To hear this person say it, you have to chase your dream, you have to want it. And if you don't want something enough, or you don't pursue your goal to the fullest possible extent and to the sacrifice of all you have and all you are, you're a garbage person and a waste of life and irrelevant to the conversation. Being a badass is just a matter of willpower and refusal to ever give up, etc.

There is a variety of ways a film can present the framing that leads to this mindset, some more egregiously than others. I feel like the cutover to :wtc: happens when other people are required to work to help the protagonist fulfill his dream. Like for example in Indian the guy's pursuit of his dream of speed is self-funded, it's not to anyone else's detriment (except making noise in the morning and almost burning his neighbor's house down); the townspeople pull together to send him to America just as a nice gesture for a likable old weird guy. But in Ferrari Ken Miles pursues his singleminded desire to drive race cars to the degree that it makes him unemployable and impossible to get along with by anyone except his long-suffering wife, and Carroll Shelby has to stick his neck out again and again in order to secure Miles' test-driver job and keep him there in spite of Ford's persistent resistance; and in Astronaut Farmer the guy puts his entire life savings into building his rocket—and then, alarmingly (to me)—his wife's father dies and she unhesitatingly gives him her entire $X00,000 inheritance in order to allow him to keep going. (When I saw that movie I wondered why, when the wife first pushed back against his crazy singleminded project, the guy in question didn't shout "bitch" or "don't stick your dick in crazy" like he usually does whenever a wife or girlfriend protests against the protagonist in a movie, like the wives in The Right Stuff. Turns out it's because in this case she ends up laying down her entire life and fortune just so he can go to space like he wants to. And apparently this is supposed to be seen as noble and praiseworthy behavior for a wife and partner.)

So I guess my point is—am I wrong in thinking this kind of narrative thread is playing on a latent pernicious streak in some people to think of themselves as just too special for the mundane world, that they're just so cool everyone should drop everything and dedicate their lives to sending this one guy to Le Mans or Bonneville or space? Or is this just a me problem / this person problem? We've always collectively desired Great Man stories but I feel like it may be a kind of a thing a lot of people are being encouraged to react to in a certain way and it can't be helping society in the age of FYGM.

How many other movies/stories follow this pattern? Do any subvert it (like by showing how a quixotic quest just ends up nearly destroying the person's life and that's a good thing because other people's lives actually do have meaning and value too, not just the solipsistic protagonist's)? I'm sure I could think of some (lol yeah there's Don Quixote)

Also what would be a good name for this style of movie that I can use to derisively refer to it. Like an "I'm Just So Awesome the Rules Don't Apply To Me" movie

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 3, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look in the mirror. You are doing a lot of castigation for someone who is implying others hold the general mass in contempt.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
An interesting look at that idea is Take Shelter, where Michael Shannon has dreams of a coming apocalypse so he throws everything he has at building a shelter to weather the storm that’s coming, to the detriment of his wife, community, and his own well-being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Got the Ferrari trailer as a YouTube ad over Christmas late at night after far too many drinks and thought it began with the line "we're all racist" for a few seconds.