Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do kinda hate there wasn't an update to this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8-eiBqri0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

I know they say everything you can imagine being done has been done ten times over.

But I actually think a series where the cast are re-shuffled for a sequal to play different parts already introduced has never been done. Like the federale becomes the drug kingpin becomes the peasant farmer becomes the cop. Or the boss and subordinate switch. Not like one gets demoted and the other takes over the job. But than actors play the other's role.

It's clearly been done in theatre. And in isolated cases on TV. I don't think ever on film

Yorgos Lanthimos' next film Kinds of Kindness is a triptych with 5 actors playing different characters in the 3 different sections

Anya Jailor-Toy

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
So it seems that it takes exactly 2 goons telling me it's good for me to see a movie I was purposely avoiding.

Watched Lady Bird. The protagonist is not someone I would have been friends with in high school, and not someone I found interesting now. But yeah it's a well done movie. And the popular girl turning out to be smart, somewhat friendly, and with some ethical standards seems much more realistic for me. This isn't the 80s or 90s where the cool people clique throw paper airplanes at dweebs during class. They kind of threw that away by her going along with the plan to just ditch prom when her friend was really hoping to go; but kids will be kids.

e: The part that stood out to me was that her brother and his girlfriend who both graduated with STEM degrees from an a Public Ivy were both underemployed in retail. I did know a few people like that, mostly from chemical engineering. They didn't do retail though they all did blue collar work like drive trucks or do construction. One of them, who had briefly been employed in his field after graduation and before downsizing, decided he didn't even like lab work and kept at the truckin'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 27, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chalamet was made for that role

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i've never seen The Favourite (2018), the poster always turned me off. I don't like how the word "the" was arranged

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
hot take: yorgos lanthimos is a poor man's peter greenaway

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just realized, for the Dune sequel just use the Tiptoes technology they used on Gary Oldman on Anya Taylor-Joy, and we can have her as a toddler saying creepy rear end poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qGGk5ymQ4

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He certainly doesn't have a tenth the talent although much better skills at getting poo poo made and out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Bright Bart posted:

e: The part that stood out to me was that her brother and his girlfriend who both graduated with STEM degrees from an a Public Ivy were both underemployed in retail. I did know a few people like that, mostly from chemical engineering. They didn't do retail though they all did blue collar work like drive trucks or do construction. One of them, who had briefly been employed in his field after graduation and before downsizing, decided he didn't even like lab work and kept at the truckin'

In one of my civil engineering undergrad classes, there was a guy who got his bachelor’s in chemical engineering but was going for a master’s in civil. I asked him why and he said he didn’t want to sit and watch dials all day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

So it seems that it takes exactly 2 goons telling me it's good for me to see a movie I was purposely avoiding.

Watched Lady Bird. The protagonist is not someone I would have been friends with in high school, and not someone I found interesting now. But yeah it's a well done movie. And the popular girl turning out to be smart, somewhat friendly, and with some ethical standards seems much more realistic for me. This isn't the 80s or 90s where the cool people clique throw paper airplanes at dweebs during class. They kind of threw that away by her going along with the plan to just ditch prom when her friend was really hoping to go; but kids will be kids.

Chemical engineers and truckers tend to be very weird people, I'd never thought about it but it sorta fits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On that movie, absolutely. On the rest of his filmography, I dunno.

but yeah when I saw The Draughtsman's Contract i was a little "so this is where The Favourite got its... everything, huh?"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what are greenaway works are worth it after the 1980s?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bright Bart posted:

The bigger the time jump the more plausible it seems. You can make it 18 years and if you make Timothy look paler and more weary & give him a different haircut and you can just imagine it's a mix of him being boyish looking in general and the Spice keeping him fit even without it being outright stated. AJT could, not convincingly, but plausibly if you squint, play an eighteen year old in that case. Especially with makeup and styling.

But the timeline in the film doesn't make too much sense to me anyways. Alia is supposed to be Paul's full sister, the daughter of the old duke and not the result of a fling with a Fremen man or a random concubine. It's the same pregnancy Paul senses years earlier, no? (I guess that isn't explicit to be fair.) Does gestation just take far longer for future humans?

Dune 2 starts like 36 hours after they have that conversation in the first movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coaaab posted:

what are greenaway works are worth it after the 1980s?

tbh once he and nyman split it was mostly downhill but I'll still go to bat for The Baby of Macon

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean The Falls is a great idea, and executed well from moment to moment, but it's over an hour too long for it's own good! I don't agree with people who say The Lobster drags in its second half, but even if I did I'd concede it's doing something different to the first half.

Rewatched Drive My Car this weekend, still an absolutely brilliant watch.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the falls should've been like six hours long

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
jg ballard-rear end movie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

i've never seen The Favourite (2018), the poster always turned me off. I don't like how the word "the" was arranged

I guess that's a justified complaint

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oof. Never thought of that but it absolutely resonates.

I Before E posted:

I guess that's a justified complaint

Boo!! (I chuckled).

Currently watching an enjoyable pulpy German war film in Netflix: Blood and Gold

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like I should probably watch a Yorgos Lanthimos film at some point. All of the trailers I've seen of his stuff make me intensely uncomfortable though.

Also, why does he and Lars von Trier occupy the same spot in my brain?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like I should probably watch a Yorgos Lanthimos film at some point. All of the trailers I've seen of his stuff make me intensely uncomfortable though.

just wait until you see the movies

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mordiceius posted:

Lanthimos is more Gilliamesque but both have a very sour European outlook.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

david_a posted:

just wait until you see the movies

Yeah, that's precisely why I've no desire to watch the movies. Maybe that's narrow minded of me, but I don't have unlimited time for films and I don't generally like films where the goal is to feel uncomfortable.

Everyone keeps saying "You need to see these Yorgos movies" and I'm like... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, that's precisely why I've no desire to watch the movies. Maybe that's narrow minded of me, but I don't have unlimited time for films and I don't generally like films where the goal is to feel uncomfortable.

Everyone keeps saying "You need to see these Yorgos movies" and I'm like... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

As a father of three I'm gonna say that's fair.

As a lover of all kinds of lovely overlong movies I gotta say, sometimes you just got to make time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

I was talking to a writer about Lanthimos the other day. She hates him in the same way that she and I hate von Trier (Joachim Trier is best Trier)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never met them and know nothing about them but they both seem like they’d be abrasive

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oh no, not abrasive directors!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never met them and know nothing about them but they both seem like they’d be abrasive

I mean yeah. Von Trier is Danish (Denmark is the Florida of the Nordics)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone keeps saying "You need to see these Yorgos movies"

At work, at home, at the bus stop, people yell it at me when I’m on the street, and I’m sick of it!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fuckers in school telling me, always in the barbershop

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anybody here seen The Program? The lance armstrong movie? It’s kinda frustrating. The cast is across the board fantastic. Plemons is maybe a little charitable in his depiction of Floyd Landis, and they had to dial down Dr Ferrari a bit because to accurately depict him would require doing him as a literal cartoon character, Who Shot Roger Rabbit style. But still, every single actor turns in just great work.

The problem is, the movie’s like an hour forty minutes. Which is nowhere near enough time. Every single scene has to deliver more facts to the audience. There is literally no time to breathe at all. At one point Armstrong is delivering a speech to fundraiser or whatever, a woman comes up to him, they exchange three flirty sentences, smash cut to their wedding day, and the wife is not seen for the rest of the movie.

They try to a framing device with the Irish reporter investigating Armstrong, but they literally don’t have time for it, the framing device just gets lost in the series of and then, and then, and then scenes.

The movie unintentionally makes a very strong case that it needed to be three hours long. To tell this story properly you need a long rear end Barry Lyndon style movie. Or maybe a season of American Crime Story.

There is one thing the movie itself does that really impressed me. The movie has zero time or interest to grapple with the idea that it was bad that Armstrong was exposed. But the only guy who was really materially harmed was the insurance salesman who wrote a policy to cover the big bonuses for multiple Tour de France victories that the USPS team never thought they’d have to pay out. So the filmmakers had a problem. How do you get the audience on the side of a loving insurance salesman? Especially when you only have time to have him on screen for like thirty seconds? You cast Dustin Hoffman. It is such a small and dull role, the only reason they cast Hoffman for it was so the audience would like him. And the movie also implies that he insured them with his own personal money? Which I don’t think is real, but still. An absolutely brilliant move.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 28, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still can't believe they cut this scene.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If any of you who have seen Gústi the Strong vs The Merman are on Letterboxd know now that you can log it on Letterboxd since it's officially come out now
https://boxd.it/LS3w

And/or on IMDb https://m.imdb.com/title/tt31710231/?language=fr-fr

Feel free to leave as honest off a review as you can. I appreciate any view.

Here's a super secret screener just in case.
[https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=rHskJ8xc19WysT-s&v=AQu4jN05IH4&feature=youtu.be

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

I still can't believe they cut this scene.

The only THE PROGRAM I'll respect.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I vaguely remember reading that Lars Von Trier isn't so much abrasive but is nonetheless insufferable because he is depressed in an annoying way. Like the DP on Antichrist did most of the heavy lifting because Trier had to retire to his trailer to weep all the time

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am mostly surprised everyone seems to have forgotten about Bjork accusing Trier of sexual harassment and abuse. https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/bjork-sexual-harassment-lars-von-trier-denial-1201888174/

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Oh no maybe that wasa euphemism for drinking a bottle of schnapps and being asked to leave the women alone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

I've met Yorgos and he was very nice. Lars von Trier probably a prick tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

I vaguely remember reading that Lars Von Trier isn't so much abrasive but is nonetheless insufferable because he is depressed in an annoying way. Like the DP on Antichrist did most of the heavy lifting because Trier had to retire to his trailer to weep all the time
I’d cry if I too was Lars von trier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've met Yorgos and he was very nice. Lars von Trier probably a prick tho

When I met my fave, Christopher Nolan, in New York he spit in the coffee I was drinking and gave me a wedgie in the middle of the crowded street.

But when I met von Trier at an LA restaurant he paid for my meal and then my mortgage.