Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

I killed it because it became super stagnated. Everyone posting there hated every new comic book movie (fair) and it was getting even more circular in how much it argued the same topics. Just became unfun to read.

Sorry

Yeah, yeah. No argument there, I was following that thread. I just had thought there was some sort of replacement made, but I guess the fact that that didn't happen yet speaks volumes about the necessity for it to happen.

Oh well, there will always be the Madame Web thread, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Every comic book movie ever made is connected by Madame Web's web, and so is valid discussion for the Madame Web megathread megaweb.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, I was worried the multiple viewpoints would try to somehow both -sides the rape, but it's actually just different sides of "Men are predatory scum within a strict patriarchy" which is good

It’smuch more interesting that Jacques’s version of the story is absolutely rape by modern standards, and barely more sympathetic by his own, and that Jean is an rear end in a top hat in every telling, and again only slightly less so in his own. The stories are much more subtly different than in e.g. Rashomon

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

Driver is no giamatti, I'll say that much

I guffawed at this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah it’s a pretty solid Rashomon story.

That's not how I remember it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not how I remember it.

I don't remember it that way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

Stephen Hawking CH CBE, physicist, reportedly turned down a knighthood because he "does not like titles."

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Shimmer, a movie about a murderous light that turns people into broken glass. It's pretty bad. A premise like that, you're really relying almost 100% on being able to do cool death by being turned into glass by evil light effects, and they do not deliver. It looks like poo poo. They also spend way too much time with cops investigating the deaths. Like the cops think there's a serial killer who can turn people into broken glass. I know in real life cops are easily that stupid, but its frustrating in a movie to have your characters be like, "we gotta catch this guy!" when the problem is so obviously not a guy. And then one of the cops turns out to be a serial rapist, just completely unconnected, and we get a freakishly unnecessary attempted rape scene. Terrible.

I will give the movie some points for one scene though. The scientists have some pieces of the corpse glass in a sealed glass case and are poking at it with the gloves that are built into the case, you know what I've mean, you've seen this sort of setup before. And then some little light critters come out of the corpse glass and are floating around inside the case, and the scientists realize what's happening is some kind of light-based life form, a light parasite is killing the people. And theyre all in wonder at this amazing discovery but then one of the scientists says "Can those things go through glass? Because light can go through glass"" And then the parasites go through the glass. That part was pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh and one more thing. At multiple points people say "There's something in the light". Which is also a line from the movie Something in the Dirt. Which is a very good movie that came out one year after Shimmer.

Check out Something in the Dirt, its good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Lowlife? I saw a trailer for it and it looked cool but trailers sometimes cam be deceiving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=woIwA1SXsM4&pp=ygUPbG93bGlmZSB0cmFpbGVy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/livedoornews/status/1773541360630407191?s=20

Yoooo Yamazaki signing with CAA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Peak era for sorta weird looking people in Hollywood was the 70s.

Now is the age of nearly identical hotties.

Beauty standards got really hard narrowed in the 80s and especially in the 90s (also literally) to the point where by the time of the 00s it had gotten pretty schizophrenic as everything had been taken to such brutal extremes that basically no remotely normal looking person could be considered 'attractive'. This is where the 'her knees are too wide' goon and incel attitudes come from. And the confusion and hatred that boy band members were considered to be attractive by women, when they weren't literally Arnold Schwarzenegger or something. At this point there's been a bit of a dam bursting, when standards are so arbitrary and narrow that conforming becomes literally impossible, a lot of people just give up on them. The LBGTQ+ culture spreading also has forced things open a bit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

josh04 posted:

Every comic book movie ever made is connected by Madame Web's web, and so is valid discussion for the Madame Web megathread megaweb.

Madame Web's web spans the globe. You could say that it was a world wide web.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Frozen Empire is just fine. The dialogue between the cast early only is pretty cool actually they gel well together.

But if Afterlife was a Trevor vehicle this was all about Phoebe. And I really like the actress , and the character can bear the load, but we could have done with more of the others.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

lol even Rotten Tomatoes did that stupid click-bait thing where the article was like FX's Alien Series: Release Date, Trailer & More and then it's like Release Date: Read below to find out when you can expect to be able to watch... [like 400 words] ...in short there is no release date but most shows come out within a couple years of production being underway. And Trailer: Unfortunately there is no official trailer; perhaps some enterprising person will make a fan cut?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's just insanity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trevor was barely in afterlife! Why did they even make that character

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I like Finn Wolfhard well enough he's actually pretty okay but I remember getting a real off feeling when there was an interview with him as a child and he kept referring to his ethnic makeup as his 'blood'. Like 'I pretty much had German blood. But my blood is also a little bit Italian. But from the north of Italy I think so similar blood. Yeah it's mixed blood but mostly German blood. Blood.' This wasn't just a one-off he left it and then came back to it as a non-sequitur a minute later.

I won't give him a hard time for it I read some weird websites when I was a kid myself but it was just weird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know or care about any of that but I definitely think Jason Reitman needs to learn how to write a blockbuster before he ever tries to do one again

Also, guy who was on the loving set…why did you forget that this franchise was a comedy?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It was pretty funny in the first act and I think all of the four films become PG action movies near the third act before a humorous closing scene?

Like even the giant walking marshmallow wasn't a gag for a moment but an enemy to be conquered through quick thinking and the power of restoring friendships or what have you.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 29, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bright Bart posted:

I like Finn Wolfhard well enough he's actually pretty okay but I remember getting a real off feeling when there was an interview with him as a child and he kept referring to his ethnic makeup as his 'blood'. Like 'I pretty much had German blood. But my blood is also a little bit Italian. But from the north of Italy I think so similar blood. Yeah it's mixed blood but mostly German blood. Blood.' This wasn't just a one-off he left it and then came back to it as a non-sequitur a minute later.

I won't give him a hard time for it I read some weird websites when I was a kid myself but it was just weird.

Kids love blood.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know or care about any of that but I definitely think Jason Reitman needs to learn how to write a blockbuster before he ever tries to do one again

Also, guy who was on the loving set…why did you forget that this franchise was a comedy?

I watched Afterlife a bit ago and it made me go revisit Ghostbusters 2016, and holy poo poo that movie isn't perfect but at least it has actual jokes. It's actually the one that's closest in tone to the original but that's a pretty low bar to clear

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Isn't it just an idiom associated with heritage? He probably picked it up from his parents.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah for real. I wonder if what really killed it was the editing. There’s too many improv jokes and they picked maybe the worst ones? I know those actors are funny, I’ve seen them be funny lol

I’ve seen Paul feig movies that are funny! Idk what happened but I’d still take it over afterlife.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The writer of the Fieg movie is also a great comic with solid sensibilities.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't it just an idiom associated with heritage? He probably picked it up from his parents.

I mean I have very rarely heard blood used to refer to ethnicity more than once in a conversation alongside any form of the verb 'mix' in the 21st century.

I'm not calling a 12 year old a Stormfront poster. It just seemed like he had gone to the wrong ancestry site, or had yeah heard the term in movies or from adults and wasn't aware of how uncomfortable it can make people feel. That or he had a really old version of his biology textbook at school.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've heard blood used that way in casual conversation. If anything I think overusing it is a sign of a 12 year old who just found out he can use blood in that way doing it a lot because that's the kind of thing that's fun for a child.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It depends where you are from. If you are from the south then saying " I have Irish/German blood" is pretty common saying.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

If any of you who have seen Gústi the Strong vs The Merman are on Letterboxd know now that you can log it on Letterboxd since it's officially come out now
https://boxd.it/LS3w

And/or on IMDb https://m.imdb.com/title/tt31710231/?language=fr-fr

Feel free to leave as honest off a review as you can. I appreciate any view.

Here's a super secret screener just in case.
[https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=rHskJ8xc19WysT-s&v=AQu4jN05IH4&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for link. Just watched. Gusti rules. More heroes need a nice sweater. I was worried for a bit as plastic is just too strong. Also lol at glass shattering sound effect to plastic bottle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

Kids love blood.

Pratchett had it right, as long as it's shed by the deserving.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pratchett had it right, as long as it's shed by the deserving.

Real question are Pratchett's books on the kids' shelves, YA shelves, general fiction shelves, or some combination?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents are classified as YA but they're just slightly shorter Discworld novels. All of the Discworld books would be under fiction if your library doesn't have a fantasy section for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can't even think of anything offensive in any of the Discworld novels. Like they're perfectly fine for kids. Although kids may not get all the puns.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's not much that offensive exactly, but the super early Discworld novels have some matter-of-factness about some crass genre cliches that the newer books handle a little better.

Still probably fine for kids.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Peak era for sorta weird looking people in Hollywood was the 70s.

Now is the age of nearly identical hotties.

thank god for david harbour

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If I said I was going to do one movie a week for 5-6 weeks with the loose theme "punks," which movies should I consider? I need an excuse to show some friends Repo Man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Chakan posted:

If I said I was going to do one movie a week for 5-6 weeks with the loose theme "punks," which movies should I consider? I need an excuse to show some friends Repo Man.

Return of the Living Dead
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does "the warriors" count

Or the first teenage mutant ninja turtles movie

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Chakan posted:

Jubilee, Naked, any given episode of The Young Ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Chakan posted:

Wild Zero (1999)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5AYlKGt1E