Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Chakan posted:

If I said I was going to do one movie a week for 5-6 weeks with the loose theme "punks," which movies should I consider? I need an excuse to show some friends Repo Man.

It's hard to match Repo Man but I really like Smithereens. I'd second RotLD, and Class of 84 is pretty amusing if you'd like a sort of punxploitation moral-panic thing, albeit it's not nearly as earnest as that Quincy episode where he begs the youth to reject nihilism or whatever.

For docs Decline of Western Civilisation is a classic (albeit the subjects are often really obnoxious even by the standards of the scene).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chakan posted:

If I said I was going to do one movie a week for 5-6 weeks with the loose theme "punks," which movies should I consider? I need an excuse to show some friends Repo Man.

Green Room
24 Hour Party People
SLC Punk
Out of the Blue
Jubilee

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Freaked feels punk in spirit but I might be way off.

Pet Sematary but just the ending credits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lotta good suggestions so far, I’m going to add Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my “just kidding haha… unless…” suggestion would be the NYHC documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmDnCOBUW4

which i only just found out is by the same director as Jodorowsky’s Dune! And those are his only two movies!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

All three Demons movies have punks in them but they're all weirdly incidental iirc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For documentaries Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies was pretty good. I think it does show him literally making GBS threads on people though.

Edit: It's also Todd Phillips first film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

this is getting further niche but Instrument: Ten Years With the Band Fugazi is a really excellent documentary. I think it might be on the criterion channel right now. its director, Jem Cohen, went on to make the underappreciated docudrama Museum Hours.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Chakan posted:

Dinner in America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIf2SbZqtTE

Mad Max: Road Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcADuJZDNA

Paris Is Burning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqvD1-0odY

Airheads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9a_EVDk-s

If you need preshow entertainment, highly, highly recommend the following too shorts too:

Heavy Metal Parking Lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBryTebK2Og

Skate Witches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az-sD2zsePg

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 29, 2024

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chakan posted:

Green Room

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Penelope Spheeris movie Suburbia is pretty grimey punk but probably should come with a bunch of trigger warnings.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The Penelope Spheeris movie Suburbia is pretty grimey punk but probably should come with a bunch of trigger warnings.

ooo i forgot this one, yeah you're probably not wrong about the trigger warning part but great movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhHsxczuyk

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Chakan posted:

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

About some punks having one last party down in a fallout shelter after a nuclear war. Only 50 minutes. Was going to post a trailer but couldn't find one, looks like the whole things on youtube

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Encouraged by the recent posts, putting on SLC Punk around 9 EST on https://goontu.be/. Have never seen it before so looking forward to it.

quote:

Two former geeks become 1980s punks, then party and go to concerts while deciding what to do with their lives.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Watching Bull Durham and it's really weird that for a movie with so much swearing, Kevin Costner is like... really bad at it? Like the F-bombs feel so weird and stilted coming out of his mouth.

Some actors are convincing swear-ers, The Cos is not one of them.

That's right, we're calling Costner "The Cos", the last guy to be The Cos really hosed that up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

About some punks having one last party down in a fallout shelter after a nuclear war. Only 50 minutes. Was going to post a trailer but couldn't find one, looks like the whole things on youtube

Ooo i’ve been wanting to see this one for years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also Linda Linda Linda

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chakan posted:

Also

Burst City (1982)

A Japanese post apocalyptic biker/concert film where in more than one scene there's a literal battle of the bands with bands invading each others gigs and taking over the stage through violence.

Featuring such pioneering Japanese punk bands as:
The Roosters
The Rockers
The Stalin

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You ever be watching a movie and audibly sigh in reaction to a plot development?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You must've never seen Hoax then.

I watched Hoax. It's very bad. I went in thinking it was a found footage movie, because it's about a documentary crew that goes in to the mountains to catch bigfoot. It should've been a found footage movie. It seems like they used the greater freedom of a traditionally structured movie to do more dumb stuff.

The characters are extremely broad. The vapid actress. The science girl. Guess their hair colors. There's also the amoral producer, who is shown taking mysterious medicine so you know he's ~crazy~ which only serves to explain why he makes so many incredibly stupid decisions.

The plot is that this guy has bet his whole career on this bigfoot documentary. If it's not successful, he's done for. By the halfway point of the movie, they have footage of a bigfoot's foot, a photograph of a bigfoot's shoulder, multiple eyewitnesses to a full on bigfoot, and they found a bigfoot lair full of bones and fresh gore. At this point, the actress who is the star of the program is attacked by a bigfoot and breaks her leg. And the producer is like, "no, we need proof". Like, they have better evidence than all preceding bigfoot documentaries combined. If they do not get the vapid actress medical attention, she or her family will be able to sue them into oblivion. His career is saved if he gets everyone home immediately. But oh no he was taking brain pills so it makes sense that his actions make no sense. And everyone goes along with it. The nice girl scientist, the no-nonsense marine, the dad who Just Wants His Kids Back, they're all like, oh ok boss says no.

Anyway, it turns out there are no bigfoots, it was all cannibal... gypsies(?) in disguise. I think they're supposed to be gypsies, the one who talks does so with a non-specific European accent.

At this point you're probably asking, "while the cannibals are eating a guy, do they play an incongruously cheerful olde timey song on a warped album?" I don't want to get into spoilers, but yes.

At the end one guy gets killed by an actual bigfoot. Cut to credits.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I dont believe you, you seem like movies make u sigh all the time

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm such a baby, yeah, the movies make me sigh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Chakan posted:

Decline of western civilization part 1, part 2, and part 3

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I see a movie that's really stupid I pump my fists and say "yes!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same. I was doing that during gxk. Crystal pyramids under hollow earth that make Godzilla float around in zero g? Give it to me

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another punk movie: Liquid Sky.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chakan posted:

Rock 'n' Roll High School! Repo Man is always intense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chakan posted:

If you want over the top cartoony 80s punks, Friday the Thirteenth 3D

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Whats the cool punk Return of the Livinh Dead? 3. First one counts but that one is grunge as poo poo

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What were the earliest Hollywood movies that had a visible minority staring or co-staring where the story isn't dictated by him or her being a minority. So not indiginous peoples fighting against white rustlers. Or a black Detective investigating a hate crime.

There's surely something before the first Lethal Weapon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In the heat of the night

e: even Beverly hills cop was 3 years before lethal weapon iirc

Azhais fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 30, 2024

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bright Bart posted:

What were the earliest Hollywood movies that had a visible minority staring or co-staring where the story isn't dictated by him or her being a minority. So not indiginous peoples fighting against white rustlers. Or a black Detective investigating a hate crime.

I'm sure there's earlier stuff, but Hallelujah (1929) has an all Black cast.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bright Bart posted:

There’s a lot of staring in Rear Window but not by a minority.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

Same. I was doing that during gxk. Crystal pyramids under hollow earth that make Godzilla float around in zero g? Give it to me

poo poo, this rings a bell for me. Wasn't there an episode of Ultraman or something that had crystals that make you float?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bright Bart posted:

Does Night of the Living Dead count, or by "Hollywood" are you explicitly ruling out indies?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'd bet you could find an earlier example in Sidney Poitier's filmography

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Azhais posted:

In the heat of the night

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this seems to be precisely opposite of the request. The fact that Tibbs is black is hugely important to the plot. The movie would be enormously different if a white actor played that role, which I think is a good baseline to sanity check possible answers to this question.

First time I overly noticed it was in Unbreakable, which of course is much later than BHC / LW.

Man that's kind of a bummer if that's the earliest we can think of :(

E: Rocky

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Son of Ingagi is 1940, but I don't know if it counts as a "Hollywood" movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Shaft was just a very good detective/sex machine, Richard Roundtree's race was irrelevant