Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I hit 127, and logged and wrote a few sentences about each of them, which was one of goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

Can come post anyways, fun to still read lists.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I agree with that; there’s certainly no denying that referential imagery features throughout the movie. But I think that this read speaks to the film more completely, and is also more valuable for the audience, then the self-reflective aspect.

Right it’s definitely a mix and draws upon his own life (father worked in a war factory, mother died when he was young). But to choose to set it during the war and to include imagery like the pelicans fighting to eat souls definitely opens up to more general readings also.

I saw it as an acceptance that there is no escape from tragedy and misfortune in life. The tower master tried to leave and create this ideal word, but we see past failures like the pelicans brought over trapped on the island. And then the parakeet army is now taking over the world, eating others. And finally Mahito chooses to save his new step mother and go back with her.

Bad things will happen, then you gotta rebuild.

It’s an extension of themes from the wind rises. Also pairs nicely with Godzilla minus one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

Yes but what about the cat .

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think Boy and Heron predicts the end of Ghibli considering Miyazaki is easily the least talented director in their stable.

Holidays can’t chill these hot takes.

Or you talking Goro

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

That’s pretty good. His story about it is pretty funny also.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maestro is weird in that it’s a biopic, but I felt like it wanted me to know a lot more about Bernstein than I do. Events and names just pop up without much reference. I guess it stands out compared to Oppenheimer which actively tries to guide the viewer through this world of scientists.

Maestro looked really good though, and glad that Cooper has anything but boring direction.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Maestro was probably my biggest disappointment of last year. It looks and sounds like a million bucks, and Carey Mulligan is really putting in the work, but in terms of a biopic it's almost aggressively unhelpful. Some of Bernstein's biggest/most noteworthy achievements are literally just sidelined to a single line of dialogue in the middle of the movie in order to fit in a few dozen more 'you know, I think he's a lovely husband' scenes.

I saw someone on Reddit say that it was like having a conversation with the most gorgeous person you've ever seen while you slowly realize they have nothing interesting to say, and I think that's a fair appraisal.

Right this is how I felt. It’s like they really wanted to avoid the obvious type of biopic and have something like the Bohemian Rhapsody make a song scene, so instead it’s comments here and there. But it really follows the same pattern as music biopics anyways with meet a lady, she backs his dream, marital problems, drug problems, then he has some big success.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Oh yeah, including the Doom monsters attacking Salt Lake City with the help of the tanks of the IRS

Ha I remember reading, and loving, these books as a kid. But of course I didn’t make any deep connections about the Mormons then. Just wow those Salt Lake City people sure are smart for having the one safe zone and a space ship.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Schwarzwald posted:

I finally caught Minus One the other day, myself. (The first film I saw in theater since The Lighthouse.)

The criticisms that it feel like Godzilla-by-way-of-Spielberg are about correct, in both the good and bad sense. The theater actually had a power outage toward the end, so I ended up missing everything between the destroyers crossing paths and Godzilla being towed back out of the depths.

I could see the Spielberg influence certainly in stuff like the big Jaws scene, but all the boat characters and melodrama made me think of Shonen anime more. The scientist even had whacky hair.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

El Jeffe posted:

They're skipping Months, I repeat they are skipping Months

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1745365680365388281

They can just solve this by having an extended flashback where the characters of 28 years later discuss their memories of 28 months later after the events of 28 week laters.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

NieR Occomata posted:

A coincidental point I want to make is when people go “oh the movie is actually a huge metaphor for (something about the filmmaker’s personal life) and therefore it’s better because?????

The Boy and the Heron is a good counter example for this. I hate that movie and could talk about how as a constructed film it takes forever to get into its second act, wasting almost half its runtime on setup, or how it waffles between being a weird tone piece and every thirty minutes having someone inartfully exposition dumping backstory so it feels like it’s running at cross purposes and feels kind of like it wants it both ways, or how all the tertiary characters are introduced in its third act so never get time to become realized. If you liked it, though, I want to hear why as long as the answer isn’t “oh you see it’s one big metaphor for Miyazaki’s history as a creator and actually these characters are supposed to be stand-ins from the people in his past”. I shouldn’t need a fuckin’ GameFAQs guide to enjoy a movie and even more than that if the film doesn’t adequately communicate its metaphors on the screen within the context of watching the movie, that movie has failed. Full stop.

Movies can be a lot of things. They may not follow your preferences, but these aren’t iron laws. It is not strange for Japans most popular film maker to self reference his own films. And many films out there are made by film makers drawing from their own life.

In any case why might someone love the film? It’s superbly animated and beautiful to look at with a magnificent score again. So the presentation alone is praiseworthy. But outside of the studio/personal allegory, it’s also a contemplative film about death, loss, and rebuilding. I’ll quote part my Letterboxd:

I think the heart of it is centered around Mahito and his mother and that takes until the end to really make itself clear. She chooses to go back to her time so she can have and be with mahito even though it will end in her death in a fire. It gives Mahito the closure he needed for feeling frustrated that there was nothing he could do to save his mom. This thought/optimism is further reinforced by the final lines: two years later the war ended and we moved backed to Tokyo. Tokyo was destroyed in the war by fires and bombing, so to go back is to accept the loss and rebuild again.

Oh and the third act characters sure are introduced late, but they have parallels to ones you have already met. See the parakeet king as the dad (military man), the old lady as the fisher, Mahito and the tower master, and well the mom as the mom.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder if i have had J&B whiskey. It’s not one I would buy, but who knows at some college bars when I got a drink.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We saw Matthias again in Oppenheimer as Dr. Heisenberg. I see he has directed some other German comedies. I wonder how those are.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anatomy of a Fall was solid but needed to spread out the quips. That prosecutor was absolutely feasting with the zingers. Law and Order has taught me though that detectives can be quite adept at one liners when reviewing a murder scene. These French investigators were boring as hell though. No wisecracks at all.

Here’s a Jerry Orbach classic. French detectives gotta match their prosecutor and bring this kind of heat.

https://youtu.be/hflrxHqr4vk?si=yOGUGlaAYxb_uYfI

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress did Highlander do a drone shot in 1986?

definitely a trained golden eagle.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/davidkrumholtzy/status/1748743409785790584?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Krumholtz tired of bad Oppenheimer takes

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I thought it was very interesting and not dull at all, but to each their own.

What the whole clearance trial shows (beyond the actual history of said title character) is the human element of power and policy making in governments. RDJs character goes after Oppenheimer for petty personal reasons instead of rational arguments. This is a common theme showed in the film of govts with great power making irrational decisions: u.s. going after scientists for communism, nazi Germany going after Jewish scientists.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah there are countless very interesting stories of that. Oppenheimer was not one. A third of the movie should not have been about it

Well I guess you said it was not interesting so that’s that.

How much of the movie is allowed to be about policy and reviews? 1/4th? 1/9th? 3/8?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I read his book and thought it was interesting. But then Covid happened and broke him. Also he became way too online.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

In the documentary The Day After Trinity, multiple ladies that worked at Los Alamos discuss how attractive and charming Oppenheimer was. There was definitely material there for more Oppy in action.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wouldn’t call it needless humor. I think it all worked very well in minority report and Jurassic park. Gotta have fun with dinosaurs and Tom Cruise.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That sounds cool, I should read the story. I think the only story to movie of Philip K Dick I read was Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lincoln is quite funny though. Some solid old man stories from Daniel day Lewis and sick burns from Tommy Lee jones.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Air Skwirl posted:

Lincoln is probably my favorite movie he made since I dunno, Saving Private Ryan

It’s grown on me over the years, and now as a dad, I respect its great dad scene where Lincoln’s son wants to join the army to be part of the war. Lincoln doesn’t want this and the son says Lincoln can’t stop him. Lincoln replies that this many a son has probably said these exact words to their dad, now he is the one dad that can actually stop anyone from joining the army.

Of course the kid gets his way, but it was a fun point.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He’s just a post 9/11 character, wants to run off and fight something he doesn’t understand as he doesnt like feeling helpless. I think that’s fine and he’s a teen so sure.

But yeah coming back in the end seems a bit impossible. I get it’s a happy place to end the film after all the death in war of the worlds with literal rivers of bodies. Spielberg can miss on endings at times ( though Jurassic Park ending is perfect).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, pretty much the gist is taking apart the idea of the white male patriarch as the hero of the story, seeing his family fully reunited without him. It's a pretty good extension of the whole themes of the story- humanity doesn't repel the invaders with a cunning plan or heroic deeds, they're undone by their own ignorance and incompetence despite their technological advantage.

That’s a good point. I haven’t watched it in a while either and this post and Josh’s is making me remember all the bad dad stuff (doesn’t remember peanut allergy etc.). I should watch it again. I really like AI on my rewatch last year.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Oh just saw it’s 90 mins too. Nice

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
King of the hill was great stuff, but yeah not sure how this new revival. Probably should have been left alone.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What’s with January and February movies being a thing? It seems like there should be little competition if you got a big film. Or do people not go and watch films in those months?

It’s cold outside now so movies seem like a great option to me.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also makes it sound like violence and insanity is not present in our world with Switches

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Kids would actually probably be annoying in high stress situations like an alien invasion or dinosaur chase. They need attention and just aren’t going to make the best decisions.

Kids are fine in JP though as annoying a grumpy Sam Neil is fun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

I thought the girl turtle was named Jennifer? The yellow one who was gay with the pig girl, right? I read some of those comics, she was cool.

Is this lack of turtle name knowledge after watching 3 of their films a bit?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Clearly everyone needs to go watch 1990 ninja turtle movie again.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

kaworu posted:

You know, I’m really not sure! I’ll have to ask him next time we talk. He does have a website set up at https://www.kinonik.org - and if you happen to live in the Portland, Maine area (somewhat unlikely, I know) he has showtimes there for screenings he’s always doing. He just did “Some Like it Hot” for Valentine’s Day, I think, then “Witness for the Prosecution” later this week to maintain some Wilder consistency, I suppose.

I’m actually going back home for a little while in a few weeks, and my dad’s current issue is that he has some 300 reels of various “junk and random shorter reels” that he hasn’t even had the time to catalog, let alone properly watch. And more coming in all the time, apparently. And to me that sounds like all the truly interesting and cool stuff where you see the truly weird/strange stuff that got put to film back in the day. I joked to him that maybe there’s an unseen Doctor Who serial on one of those reels, which is pretty unlikely but fun to think about.

Neat, I've been to Portland a few times and been meaning to go back. I'll look out for this next time. Portland, Maine is a pretty cool place.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Cary Elwes is great in Robin Hood Men in tights.

And yeah I remember years later watching the Costner Robin Hood on tv and when little John and Robin Hood duel by the river, I thought wait this is from Men in Tights!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What is with Hong Kong cinema's fixation with cops? I know it's bad in the West but it seems even more extreme. I turn on Chungking Express and its like bam. This isnt even an action movie!!! Guess that's what happens when you get so colonized and Britbrained.

Yeah but the important part is Tony Leung quits being a cop. Only then can he get with Faye Wong.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 27, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow spoilers!!!!!!
Its okay I don't actually care about spoilers cuz I'm a sicko. Half an hour in and it's pretty good. I'm just haunted by Police Story after Police Story so I was just like "really??? More?"
I'm assuming the main characters of In the Mood For Love are not cops lol. Guess I'll find out soon when I rewatch it, saw that poo poo as a kid.

lol sorry, I forgot about the cop in the first half and assumed you had watched the second part before posting. guess I should add spoilers for others though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The podcast the art of the score has two good episodes on the history of studio fanfares if you want to learn about the music portion of the logos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Wait so the earth actually wanders in wandering earth? Is it like a drunken wandering?