Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

null_pointer posted:

I'm not talking "the psychopath who occasionally tells a joke" like Michael Mando in Far Cry or Ledger's Joker, but someone normally gregarious, who occasionally lets the mask slip.

Robert DeNiro in The King of Comedy

Patricia Arquette in After Hours (most of the characters in After Hours, actually)

Not funny or gregarious per se, but in Glengarry Glen Ross Al Pacino shows what's really underneath his chill, low pressure salesman demeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Bright Bart posted:

e: To write something that fits the thread, people make fun of the concept of Thing: The Novelization of the Thing Movie Based on The Novel Thing By Author but are there real examples? The closest I think I've seen are special editions of the original novel that change the names of characters and maybe cut some chapters to fit the movie, a still from which replaces the cover.

Going off old memory here but pretty sure that once upon a time there was a sci-fi short story by Phillip K. Dick called We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. That was adapted into a movie called Total Recall, which then had a novelisation written by Piers Anthony.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That's really cool actually. I've read novelizations where they're essentially just a transcript of the movie so gotta give him credit for going for it.

I remember as a wee child reading a book that was a sequel to the movie ET. I don't remember seeing that before or since, a prose sequel to a movie. Wonder if there are others.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The ET ride at Universal Studios is also a sequel to the movie. I wonder if there's any overlap with the book.

If I remember correctly it's about ET's planet. I want to say Elliot isn't even in it but I'm going off of 40+ year old memories.

E: and now I feel like I'm losing my mind because according to this it was published in 1985
https://ettheextraterrestrial.fandom.com/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Green_Planet

But I have a crystal clear memory of reading it in the summer of 1983, based on where I remember reading it (balcony of the apartment we lived in that year). Memory is so bizarre.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 7, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Minority Report is so different from the source material that it's practically a different story. Hell, in the movie there isn't actually a "minority report" about whether Tom Cruise kills the guy or not. In the short story, the entire premise is that there is, and the twist is that there are actually three minority reports -- precog one says he will commit the murder, precog two says that after seeing precog one's report it will change the outcome and he won't commit the murder, and precog three says that *that* leads to a series of events where he once again will commit the murder. But all that isn't seen at the time and it's just 'yep, majority says you'll kill the guy so you're guilty'

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I remember the entire theatre uniting in a "Yeah, right" moment when the son was revealed to still be alive. Actually, that kind of ties in to the "can't hurt the dinosaurs" critique, and it's a big program for Spielberg, how hard it is for him to have any deaths of animals or children, even to the extent of undermining themes or dramatic tension.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'll never understand it. It's such an awful part of the film. That character also was really unlikable and honestly hard to relate too.

Similarly, I saw Lincoln with my wife, mom, and sister and we were all in agreement that the movie should have ended with the shot of Lincoln leaving for the theater. It's a great shot, everyone knows what happens after that and there's no need to show it, ending the film at that point gives it a certain piquant flavor that is lost with the extra runtime. It even felt like that's how Spielberg wanted to end it but then just couldn't help himself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I couldn't gently caress with Age of Innocence cuz it was just a bunch of rich white people and their stupid lives and as much as the film was aware of that and the cast was great I could not give a gently caress.

"There is great art I am incapable of appreciating because it doesn't align with my interests" is one depressing-rear end, self-limiting worldview.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

therattle posted:

Some fuckers stole my bike last night. I bought an angle-grinder-resistant lock but they just cut through the toughened steel planter to which the bike was locked. We use the bike all the time, for school runs (and errands) so it’s a massive inconvenience, not to mention the cost and rage.

Keep an eye on fb marketplace and Craigslist. If you see it there, don't bother calling the police, instead say you're interested and go look at it asap. Take it for a test ride and off you go. Have your friend who dropped you off pick you up a couple blocks away.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Seeing From Dusk Till Dawn on opening night, having no idea what it was about besides "hey, new Quentin Tarantino written movie directed by Robert Rodriguez" (because pre-internet, things could still be kept secret and be surprising), while being pretty drat high is one of my favorite movie experiences. Just struggling to comprehend what was going on and what I was seeing and how to fit it into the framework of the world the movie had thus far presented was maybe the most confused I can remember ever being.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

2001 has no dialogue for its first 20 minutes or the last 30-40 minutes I'd guess. And that's a perfect movie right there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Which is why we categorize it as a television show.

Some would even say it's a stage play

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Guys I found it. The greatest pull quote of all time.

This is amazing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Star Wars cantina music

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

How is the circa 2000 Dune miniseries? I'm guessing it looks pretty cheap.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The goy with all the gifts

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Technically not an epistolary novel but kind of the same vibe or challenge with World War Z

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like if I was in that situation I wouldn't immediately start trying to stop my future self. He's just me, ya know? Not some murderous psychopath. I'd give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume until proven otherwise that me probably has a legit, rational reason. I mean I'd try to find out what that reason was, but ultimately I trust me and I'd probably try and help.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like if a one centimeter horizontal slice could be magically removed from the middle of his head he would become significantly more attractive.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Azhais posted:

In the heat of the night

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this seems to be precisely opposite of the request. The fact that Tibbs is black is hugely important to the plot. The movie would be enormously different if a white actor played that role, which I think is a good baseline to sanity check possible answers to this question.

First time I overly noticed it was in Unbreakable, which of course is much later than BHC / LW.

Man that's kind of a bummer if that's the earliest we can think of :(

E: Rocky

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I hate to agree with Gripweed but he's right

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Has any director had a decade that rivals Coppola's 1970s? 5 films that are 4 S tier and one A tier (I suppose 3 and 2 if you're an especially harsh critic). Otherworldly and I can't think of another decade of that caliber from anyone.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Which film are you considering A tier.

I would consider Patton A-tier but if someone wants to swap Apocalypse Now into A and Patton into S, or even consider both S, I have no strong objection.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kubrick's 60s are a contender with Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, and 2001. For me that's A, B, S, S+. Coppola still wins overall though.

E: and if we're just going by any given 10 year span we could drop Spartacus and Lolita and add A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon. poo poo, this might be the one. S, S+, A/S, S. Plus writing and producing for all 4.

E2: I can't math, 12 year gap between Strangelove and Barry Lyndon.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 11, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

drat that's a good one.

If we stretch to 11 years, Wong Kar Wei 94-2004:

Chungking Express
(Ashes of Time)
Fallen Angels
Happy Together
In the Mood for Love

Even dropping 2046 (which I think I like more than most) that's pretty strong

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

E: ^ holy poo poo

Wait, I forgot about Werner Herzog. His 70s output:

Even Dwarfs Started Small
Aguirre
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Heart of Glass
Stroszek
Nosferatu
Woyzeck

Holy poo poo.

E2: Holy poo poo, Ingmar Bergman. His 60s are strong but if we do 57-66, we get

The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
The Magician
The Virgin Spring
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
The Silence
Persona

along with other movies with limited release or mixed reception

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 11, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I guess Flowers for Algernon would fit as well

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Oh hey did you all check out the trailer for TCL's AI-made movie? Definitely a seeing is believing scenario because words kind of fail me rn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQnnISdDIU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Civil War is good

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Why is All That Jazz impossible to stream anywhere, even for $$

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Try turning off desktop acceleration on your gpu

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a name for the subgenre of drama that's like, "person (usually a guy) is very passionate about a thing, is very good at it, and can't help but hurt themselves and their loved ones in pursuing it"

Yeah, biopics

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

50% of this year movies has sexual content? FIFTY?! What the hell! How?! Why?!

Further proof that comic book movies are in decline

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Just had an hour long dream where I was getting increasingly frustrated that I couldn't remember the name of Jack Nicholson's skiing-based neo-noir follow-up to Chinatown.

There really aren't as many movies with a skiing setting as their could and arguably should be.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thinking about it more, I wonder if dream-brain would have been satisfied if I'd come up with a movie set in Vail called Chinabowltown.

E: The Two Snowflakes?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I tried to Google this and all I got was that "vail" is the act of lowering ones hat, taking it off, or holding it in your hands to show respect.

Vail is, along with Aspen, one of the two most major / significant US ski resorts*. On the backside of Vail mountain are what are called bowls, one of which is named China Bowl.

https://www.vail.com/blog/legendary-terrain-china-bowl.aspx

*opinions vary etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

As has been said, the black part is not actually a part of the video stream. Could it be encoded as such and the subtitles put there? Probably but it also has unintended consequences. Projectors are one example - you normally want your projector image to fill the screen. That's one of the draws of a projector, getting the biggest, most movie theater like image possible.

What if consumers decide they want 2.35:1 displays instead of the current standard 1.85:1? Sound impossible? We've already had one such paradigm shift in the last 20 years. If that were to happen, all subtitles-in-the-margin films will become both letterboxed and pillar boxes, the actual movie will be surrounded by black bars on all 4 sides.

Most importantly, it would require the movies be encoded differently, which means effort and expense and would need sufficient demand to get the studios to make this change. This demand doesn't exist.