Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

I resolve to watch movies this year

Thats what you say every year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ryan Gosling in Barbie

Ryan Gosling in Drive

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yea, the progression was goofy to menacing - he fits.

He's still pretty goofy when menacing, true

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I have first hand knowledge thay Irvine Welsh is a total poo poo head.

Huh and his writing has such an optimistic view of people and society

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

There is a common trend in film discourse, specifically film bro discourse (hello Snyder fans) where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

Army of the Dead is one of my prime examples of this. By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible, but total dipshits love to go “Ooh but they could be clones! Or it could be a time loop! And and and there’s a zombie society what does that mean?!?!?!” And my constant response ends up having to be “but yeah how is it a better loving movie as a result.” And they can never loving adequately answer the question. It is by far the most irritating form of movie “criticism” I have to deal with, people praising overlong and unfocused and poorly loving made movies because it has this one thing that they liked and it makes an “incredible loving film” basically wholecloth in their heads.

Calm down nerd. Nobody uses the extremely debatable presence of those "easter eggs" as a defense of the movie, Army is a fun little ghoul movie on it's own empirical merits.

Your question is incoherent, so of course you can't receive an adequate answer to it! If someone says that a movie has only a single tiny aspect they liked, and that's it, they're not praising it as an incredible movie - you've badly misinterpreted or confused your own made up example!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s such a poorly made film that the character that they spend the entire third act saving is never adequately written out of the film, leaving a plot hole so gaping (I guess she died in the helicopter crash? I dunno!) you could run a truck through it. By every empirical metric it’s an overlong piece of garbage that introduces a billion plot threads that serve no purpose beyond inflating its runtime while centrally failing at delivering on its stated premise, a zombie movie that’s also a heist movie. Which is more my point. As a film it so fails at every aspect of being a coherent, watchable movie because it gets so tied up in its B-Z plots and “easter eggs” or whatever defense Snyder fans use to pretend a very bad movie is good that it fails at very, you know, super basic stuff like sequential storytelling.

That extremely minor character simply isn't important beyond being motivation for the daughter and maybe the coyote to join the expedition. She probably does die in the helicopter crash, but if you want her to survive she could just be knocked out! It wouldn't change anything either way.

The movie is entirely sequential, there's no flashbacks iirc. How does the movie fail to be a zombie heist movie lmao

Do you know what 'empirical' means

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Maybe it's a bit? It's p funny to be your own example

Like it's one thing to say, "so & so fans are bad at criticism/communication"? Sure, many such cases, whatcha gonna do, etc. But then to follow that up with "this movie objectively fails it's own standards" like wut, it doesn't have a single zombie or a heist in it?! What are you trying to say lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress did Highlander do a drone shot in 1986?

They got a real immortal to use his quickening powers

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

If Reacher show doesn't have him high pitch scream "get out of my face! Get ouuuut" at a baddie he's beating up then it's a waste of Alan Ritchson imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

SimonChris posted:

One that really annoys me is how Ghost does not have a scene where Patrick Swayze helps his wife do pottery as a ghost, using ghost telekinesis to guide her hands.

There is a pottery scene, but it happens while he is still alive, making it completely pointless.

Ghost pottery was my favourite scene in the movie, and it doesn't exist!

Fake memories/wrong expectations are caused by cinema's greatest scourge: the movie trailer

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did France make a Napoleon movie? It's not like I want the soft treatment but between Waterloo and Napoleon (which I enjoyed elements of both of) I really want something that isn't peddling Anglo cliches.

I remember watching the 2002 miniseries. It covers all the hits, avoids lionizing the man too much and is well made for a tv series but was honestly pretty boring iirc :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Post Silence Garfield looks a lot older than pre

He went method and insisted on doing the drip torture for real

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Barbarella does have a languid pace, but is so fun & beautiful it didn't bother me

Arcs? What are you, Noah from the bible?? Who gives a gently caress

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The trick is to learn to enjoy being made uncomfortable by a given movie scene

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Just say no, seth

Jay Rust posted:

What movies are you guys gonna watch on valentine’s day with your best girl/boy/person?

I'm gonna keep trying to sell her on Bronson, cuz she loves Tom Hardy but has resisted this so far

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 10, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

what are some classic lines from Avatar?

*Wilhelm scream*

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

She is absolutely an A-lister, wth y'all talking about??

She's only the lead of a new show (the regime) and the sole focus/draw in the advertising!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Kingsman is some real Tory poo poo. The big bang of "I've never interacted with someone of Eggsy's socio-economic standing, but this is what they are like and what they need" coming off it is truly powerful.

It leans slightly more liberal imo but it is deeply elitist either way

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

why make movies when you can just wait for someone else to make them for you?

They always do it wrong!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

The Jason Momoa Conan is underrated, in the sense that nobody talks about it but it's actually decent

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Lmao how many rakes can Warner Bros keep stepping on

Just release movies, duh!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I'm sure dunc 2 is fine but if you have to die watching a Dune you gotta go with the proper weird ones or your soul won't get the juice to ascend

DeimosRising posted:

the movie literally bored a dude to death, that's a wild advertisement

Imagine dying to any PG 13 movie!

Putting it in my will that my hospice must be playing Hunger Games nonstop

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone. One of the central elements is a train being built, symbolizing civilization coming, therefore bringing the death of the Old West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_9eQXlsVQ

Great choice but missed opportunity to use Harmonica's tune for the diegetic competition

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t realize the Oscars were last night. Grats to the winners!! Even if not everyone got to take home the gold, I hope they still had fun and maybe even learnt a thing or two about the magic of the movies!

I heard Godzilla minus 1 won for sfx, bout time a Godzilla was recognized

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already made Violent Night, which is basically Die Hard with Santa Claus.

I wanted to like it but it's not very good, absolute waste of that cast

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hibbloes posted:

Okay i have a random question i need a perspective on. I just finished watching Robin Hood 2010. Towards the end, in the last big fight, the main villain of movie, Mark Strong's Sir Godfrey, decides to book it out of the losing battle, and takes an arrow into the neck as a parting gift from our hero. We see a brief shot of him reacting after getting hit, and he's smiling, almost laughing about it, seemingly. I have no idea why, it doesn't seem to reflect his character to me, or act as some callback to something earlier. I have missed plenty of obvious movie signals before, so im wondering if someone has any idea why he was like that?

Sometimes you get so thoroughly owned you can't even be upset. He's just impressed at the unbelievable shot.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What's the cineD consensus on the former mr madonna Guy Richie?

Hit & Miss

- working title of guy Ritchie's upcoming 2025 film

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Bad news fri3nd

Myopic Nostalgia, it's not just for boomers! Order yours today

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Blomkamp has yet to make an apartheid movie afaik, d9 is about the refugee crisis

Gripweed posted:

they're all good

that's right.gif

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Too many dudes in this Best Satan list so I'm gonna add Emmanuelle Seigner from the 9th gate

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching this olde timey movie called Boomerang and it’s got the bad guy from 12 Angry Men as a grumpy police chief. Pretty good!

Henry Fonda is in Boomerang??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

10 minutes into Muppet Treasure Island. Who the hell is this boring kid and where the hell is Kermit

Christmas Carol understood that Muppet movies should operate on Wishbone rules, with Kermit taking the role of the protagonist

Muppet treasure island is way better than xmas charol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The jurassic world movies are so awful they make us forget sometimes, how important Jurassic Park is,

because there's not a lot of original footage of dinosaurs

- my friend, to me, just now, after two beers

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The ending of The World’s End was good.

The denouement where he becomes king Arthur is, but X-ray is correct that the climax being like, a basic bitch r/atheism rant is pretty lame

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have you tried being high while watching it like many of us were 12 years ago

I only saw it last year, it's so good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

I've never seen it and I don't get it but I get what it means to a high child watching clips, mine's probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_dRw62qVLs

Wonderful that the guy who played Lincoln in this clip wrote and directed Barbarian like twenty years later

And the guy who played JW booth broke his neck trying to suck his own dick in Mexico!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Bringing Starbarry Clock here

We love our characters here in cd, don't we folks

That reminds me, free dickeye

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Depends on how much jerky they got out of all those dead pirates

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vargo posted:

This forum has come a long way from the days of "i liked it, the rock rules"

wait, I always thought that was a reference to Michael Bay's 1996 film The Rock

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitter.com/TheCinesthetic/status/1785776011914727793

They gonna find me in the theater like that one guy at the Love Lies Bleeding screening.

Without even checking who else is involved - it's not gonna be anywhere close as good as LLB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thanks for giving us plenty of notice on your jackoff plans

K

https://variety.com/2024/film/global/kristen-stewart-oscar-isaac-flesh-of-the-gods-panos-cosmatos-1235989475/